PS3, DVI, HDCP and the lack of picture

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
So, I just got caught out by the fact that my console monitor isn't HDCP capable. (hi black screen!) Which is a requirement if you want it connected to a PS3. (got a dvi to hdmi cable)

As a temporary fix i've connected the PS3 up to my computers monitor but this has meant i've had to disconnect the pc and the speakers if I want to play on the PS3.

At the moment my only thought is to get something iike this and have my PS3 next to my pc rather than connected up to the console monitor.

Is that my only option? Does anyone know of anything that would allow me to connect the PS3 to my older non-hdcp monitor?

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

Posts

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    HDCP is a requirement to connect a PS3 and get a 1080p image out of it. For Blu-Ray movies that actually have HDCP enabled, which I'm not aware of any that currently have it on.

    Have you even tried it yet? If so, you might have another issue. HDCP certainly isn't the problem.

    Satan. on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    HDCP is a requirement to connect a PS3 and get a 1080p image out of it. For Blu-Ray movies that actually have HDCP enabled, which I'm not aware of any that currently have it on.

    Have you even tried it yet? If so, you might have another issue. HDCP certainly isn't the problem.

    Yeah, the PS3 works fine with the DVI on my Samsung but the moment I connect it up to the Viewsonic the monitor is on (doesn't go into standby) but all I have is a black screen.

    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    You've got an issue separate to no HDCP. I can think of quite a few non-HDCP PS3 setups off the top of my head that I've personally seen.

    Satan. on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User
    edited April 2008
    That monitor's 1280x1024. I hope you don't expect it to show a 1080p picture. Is your PS3 set to 720p?

    Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, you're not going to get it to run on a monitor without HDCP through the DVI port. What you need is a component transcoder to VGA, google HDfury, I haven't tried it personally, but that's what is usually recomended

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, you're not going to get it to run on a monitor without HDCP through the DVI port.

    You're wrong. The PS3 does not require HDCP on the end monitor! Quit saying this!

    Satan. on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, you're not going to get it to run on a monitor without HDCP through the DVI port.

    You're wrong. The PS3 does not require HDCP on the end monitor! Quit saying this!

    What? Are you sure? So if I wanted to use my ps3 on my viewsonic 1400x900 screen I can? I'd just have to set it to 720p and have to deal with fixing the aspect ratio? Are you sure? Everywhere I've read online says different.

    TheMorningStar on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, you're not going to get it to run on a monitor without HDCP through the DVI port.

    You're wrong. The PS3 does not require HDCP on the end monitor! Quit saying this!

    You're the only one I've heard of able to get it work through the DVI without HDCP, so if you have a solution, I too would be glad to hear it. As it is, I'm waiting for the federal rebate check to buy a new monitor with HDCP, since I couldn't find a reliable solution short of the $100ish transcoders I was talking about earlier

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm still baffled as to why the PS3 doesn't have some sort of VGA cable.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, you're not going to get it to run on a monitor without HDCP through the DVI port.

    You're wrong. The PS3 does not require HDCP on the end monitor! Quit saying this!

    You're the only one I've heard of able to get it work through the DVI without HDCP, so if you have a solution, I too would be glad to hear it. As it is, I'm waiting for the federal rebate check to buy a new monitor with HDCP, since I couldn't find a reliable solution short of the $100ish transcoders I was talking about earlier

    From my searches on google everyone says the monitor needs to be capable of hdcp.

    With something like this I wonder whether it has its own hdcp layer or whether it just passes the signal straight through to the monitor when switching to one of the dvi ports.

    BTW, the output on the PS3 is set to 720p.

    It definitely seems as though the HDFury or a HDCP stripper are my best bets. No way in hell do I want to buy an entirely new monitor.

    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User
    edited April 2008
    I'm still baffled as to why the PS3 doesn't have some sort of VGA cable.

    Because that would mean people could steal the unencrypted Blu Ray output and put them on the internet.

    ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm still baffled as to why the PS3 doesn't have some sort of VGA cable.

    Because that would mean people could steal the unencrypted Blu Ray output and put them on the internet.

    ....And yet there is no shortage of bluray rips on the internet....

    Who could have predicted that?

    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    I can think of at least two setups right now that have non-HDCP hooked up PS3s without issue. I'll try and get in touch with the owners to see if they did anything special on the PS3 side but I know they didn't fuck around with extra hardware.

    Satan. on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User
    edited April 2008
    I'm still baffled as to why the PS3 doesn't have some sort of VGA cable.

    Because that would mean people could steal the unencrypted Blu Ray output and put them on the internet.
    Component and VGA are essentially compatible!

    Why does every one act like adapters don't exist? Go here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm order a cable that's three way RCA to HD15, set your PS3 to any progressive output, and you're good to go.

    If you want a more elegant solution, go here: http://www.gameyeeeah.com/wii-ps3-vga-cable-p-746.html

    Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought you only needed HDCP for 1080p content? Or something stupid like that. Because people will definitely file share the highest resolution possible. That's obviously why P2P networks are full of lossless rips instead of 128kbps MP3s.

    corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    I thought you only needed HDCP for 1080p content? Or something stupid like that. Because people will definitely file share the highest resolution possible. That's obviously why P2P networks are full of lossless rips instead of 128kbps MP3s.

    Nope, even viewing the PS3 menus at 720p it still requires HDCP. Which sort of annoyed me no end, i've had to spend roughly £50 on some kit for a DVI switcher so I can connect the PS3 up to my computers monitor (which is HDCP able), audio cables etc.

    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User
    edited May 2008
    You needed a DVI switcher? I see that there are HDMI to DVI cables out there... those don't work?

    TM2 Rampage on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited May 2008
    My guess is you need something like this http://www.hdfury.com/ to make it work with the older monitor. I can't use my one because its incompatible with my Dell monitor (its one of about 2 monitors that doesn't with it, typically), I have seen it used however and its very very good. (Infact if you want it, make me an offer, cost me £75 a few weeks back and its sat on my desk since) :(


    Satan, if you can tell me how to get my PS3 to work on my non HDCP monitor over DVI, I'm all ears. At 1080p, hell I will suck a dick (as I believe is customary here) :winky:

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    My guess is you need something like this http://www.hdfury.com/ to make it work with the older monitor. I can't use my one because its incompatible with my Dell monitor (its one of about 2 monitors that doesn't with it, typically), I have seen it used however and its very very good. (Infact if you want it, make me an offer, cost me £75 a few weeks back and its sat on my desk since) :(


    Satan, if you can tell me how to get my PS3 to work on my non HDCP monitor over DVI, I'm all ears. At 1080p, hell I will suck a dick (as I believe is customary here) :winky:

    Neither set is 1080p. One friend is doing it with just a HDMI --> DVI cable into his monitor, which he says isn't HDCP. He said he'd find the model number when he got home. It's a Sammy of some sort, IIRC.

    Satan. on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I have a HDMI > DVI Lead, I tried it with my monitor but everything came up with a black screen/monitor not going into standby, I have to use a crappy component cable (joytech) so I only have 1080i, and the cable sucks so I get really bad ghosting. I can't find the official Sony Comp cable anywhere. I would take 720p DVI over it any day so I am real interested.

    With the HDFury I get an awesome picture, thats off about 3" to the right and cant be corrected, its a problem specific to my monitor :(

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm still baffled as to why the PS3 doesn't have some sort of VGA cable.

    Because that would mean people could steal the unencrypted Blu Ray output and put them on the internet.
    Component and VGA are essentially compatible!

    Why does every one act like adapters don't exist? Go here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm order a cable that's three way RCA to HD15, set your PS3 to any progressive output, and you're good to go.

    If you want a more elegant solution, go here: http://www.gameyeeeah.com/wii-ps3-vga-cable-p-746.html

    No, you're wrong. VGA takes an RGBHV signal. It says so right on the site you linked to. Component video is a YPbPr signal. You'd need transcoding hardware, which is expensive, introduces lag, and usually (not always) needs external power. Oh, and you can't turn a 480i signal into a VGA signal without a deinterlacer, either, by the way. That cable you linked to? Not gonna work with 480i-only games on the Wii.

    The reason that the PS3 doesn't natively output VGA is because the analog video port was supposed to be compatable with the PS2, which doesn't natively output VGA (well, there was the Linux kit but that was synch-on-green only, not RGBHV).

    Daedalus on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User
    edited May 2008
    1. I don't have a PS3, but I recall being able to switch between RGB and yPbPr in the menu of my ps2. I assumed the three connection wire would separate out sync. So fine, I guess the first site I linked to won't work.

    But basically the second does work, but there are a couple of wii games and about 40% of GC games that won't work, and on the PS3 most PS2 games won't work.

    http://wiinintendo.net/2007/10/31/vdigis-wii-vga-cable-review/ Here's a hands on review of another cable.

    At $30, this might be a stop gap solution for some people who buy it knowing the limitations.

    Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
Sign In or Register to comment.