As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    doug.jpg

melting_doll on
  • nyuoobnyuoob Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mykonos, is it me or does either her nose and mouth need to come round a bit... Where her eyes are, the rest of the face goes a different way. Either that or her right eye could be moved up and round, its too flat on the angle maybe....?

nyuoob on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    middle age doug

Poor Doug. All of that fast food finally caught up to him. I can't remember the name of that burger place, though :( Very disappointed in myself.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    nyuoob wrote: »
    mykonos, is it me or does either her nose and mouth need to come round a bit... Where her eyes are, the rest of the face goes a different way. Either that or her right eye could be moved up and round, its too flat on the angle maybe....?

thanks for the heads up. I just finished addressing that

edit: Gave her a bit of a make over, hoping to make her more sexy and femme fatali'sh

Diva_Queen_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC, did you use a reference pic of Vera Wang for that piece? :p

Looks good though. Any particular technique you use to shade in Photoshop?

NibCrom on
    edited April 2008
    haha thanks. I actually used rough edged hard brush when color blocking and blending, and softly blend by constanstly dabbing the eyedrop tool. I rarely change the opacity, usually keep it at around 80-100, and I use the largest size possible. Then I fined out the detail using hard edged circle with size and opacity varience, then went over the face with an airbrush to apply the make up.

You can get the rough edge hard brush here, as well as several others, though I rarely use any of them - just the one I mentioned...love it.

http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754332606896693/the-custom-brush-guide-skin-and-hair.html

edit: oh for fucks sake, you were talking to DMAC....

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The eyes are unnaturally blue.
    She does look awfully slutty, is this the look you were aiming for?

Mustang on
    edited April 2008
    oh yes. well....slutty but classy

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    After-work quickie
    alleycat.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    old doug

right click > save

Asamof the Horrible on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    myk, the hair is too separated. it looks like the nina cutscenes from tekken 1, where every strandwas rendered but there were only a hundred or so of them.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Angel that is awesome

Prohass on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Top notch AoB!

Eye placement looks a bit weird though.

Sublimus on
    edited April 2008
    I dont want to double post, but this is my attempts to bait people into my thread :P

moleskin64.jpg

Sublimus on
  • HarpsichordHarpsichord Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Old Doug is fucking bad ass.

I went out of town for a bit, but since I'm back with a scanner I can post stuff again.

24620427ia8.jpg

Sticker parody of the Sean Hannity book "Deliver Us From Evil". I just wanted to draw Clover.

Harpsichord on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, it isn't close to being a finished image, but I messed around on Cafepress and this is what my image looks like on a shirt.

(spoilered for size)
    untitled-1.jpg

I really need to fix that balloon string and the stick people.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Make the stick figures a little bigger. People aren't going to be able to tell what's going on.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Make the stick figures a little bigger. People aren't going to be able to tell what's going on.

I started fiddling with that earlier tonight actually, so at least I am on the right track. But can you tell that that is supposed to be a balloon though? I have never created a T-shirt that I wanted to sell online before, so I want this to be decent in a way. I have quite a few sketches/ideas in the wings, so if I can get this one to work out for me I will have some confidence in the rest of my T-shirt line.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

I started fiddling with that earlier tonight actually, so at least I am on the right track. But can you tell that that is supposed to be a balloon though? I have never created a T-shirt that I wanted to sell online before, so I want this to be decent in a way. I have quite a few sketches/ideas in the wings, so if I can get this one to work out for me I will have some confidence in the rest of my T-shirt line.

I can definitely tell it's a balloon. I really like the visual comedy of it too- I chuckle when I see it.

"Aha-ha Monster balloon indeed."

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

I can definitely tell it's a balloon. I really like the visual comedy of it too- I chuckle when I see it.

"Aha-ha Monster balloon indeed."

Thanks! It is pretty refreshing to hear that I made someone laugh. The only thing that sucks about graduating from college is that I won't doodle as much since I won't be sitting around not listening to teachers. That is where this (and my other) T-shirt ideas came from.

Do you think I should experiment with the possibility of making a white oval/square background for the scene? And what is your (or anyones) opinion on the balloon rope? I really do not like it. I plan on just drawing myself a better rope and then scanning it into my computer and throwing it in there. No, I don't have a tablet. Yes, I do kind of want one, but I don't know if I can wrap my head around not looking at my actual pencil writing on paper, right next to what I am drawing (if you understood what I just said, haha).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You get used to not looking at your hand, and its no different after a while. You will be looking at what you draw and moving your hand accordingly. Generally I base my hand movements off of what I can see that I've drawn with traditional media too, and after an hour or two of using my tablet, it was natural for me.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    oh yes. well....slutty but classy

How old is she supposed to be? She looks like a little bit like a tan leather handbag. I mean, she looks like a tarted up 50 year old, with all that make-up and the weird trouty collagen lips and fake tan.

Classy...?

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    How old is she supposed to be? She looks like a little bit like a tan leather handbag. I mean, she looks like a tarted up 50 year old, with all that make-up and the weird trouty collagen lips and fake tan.

Second that, sort of like a slutty female version of George Hamilton.

Mustang on
    edited May 2008
    in all honesty the way you guys described her was just what i was goin for - kinda like those women you see in movies or tv who have too much money and time on there hands and are oblivious within their own narcissism that they over tan and are addicted to botox and seduce younger men to make themselves feel young again. Drawing a generic cute girl just bored the hell out of me, so I wanted something completely wild and full of character, i guess in the end we'll find out if it was a hit or a miss.

Oh, and I drew her lips with intent of her blowing out cigarette smoke, which i forgot to add

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    doug.jpg

damned masterpiece

though I'm biased because I loved me some Doug

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • CrackerpieCrackerpie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I drew this spidey, we can post just random stuff here right? Also I love that Doug thing.

0000wa3a

Crackerpie on
    OMG I saw the greatest sig today! IT WAS TOTALLY SELF-REFERENTIAL.
    edited May 2008
    Oh god!

Under no circumstances should you use pure white as a light source!

Also, and I feel like I say this a lot, but, that anatomy is all sorts of wrong and made up.

Sublimus on
  • CrackerpieCrackerpie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I know the anatomy is screwed up but I'm just learning man take it easy. I don't go around making new threads because I know I'm not very good.

Crackerpie on
    OMG I saw the greatest sig today! IT WAS TOTALLY SELF-REFERENTIAL.
    edited May 2008
    Spidey looks like he's squatting and shooting some random webbing.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Maybe he was about to take a shit and the Green Goblin (acting on this moment of vulnerability) launched an attack.

Crackerpie, this place is all about learning but be prepared to get critiqued mercilessly, take it in good humour and you'll learn faster than had you not listened at all. Most of the people on this board are nice folks, but they'll tell you how it is.

Just a piece of advise, get a sketch book and sketch your ass off (life studies, anatomy, foreshortening yada yada yada) then once your starting to get your head around it, start venturing into colour (lighting and shading, skin tones, values and all that good stuff.)

Mustang on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    haha thanks. I actually used rough edged hard brush when color blocking and blending, and softly blend by constanstly dabbing the eyedrop tool. I rarely change the opacity, usually keep it at around 80-100, and I use the largest size possible. Then I fined out the detail using hard edged circle with size and opacity varience, then went over the face with an airbrush to apply the make up.

You can get the rough edge hard brush here, as well as several others, though I rarely use any of them - just the one I mentioned...love it.

http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754332606896693/the-custom-brush-guide-skin-and-hair.html

edit: oh for fucks sake, you were talking to DMAC....

Thanks for the explanation anyways! :)

NibCrom on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't want to make a thread or anything (cower!) but I was really hoping to get some help on this. Really rough pencils early on, I'm trying hard to work on forshortening/perspective, but I'm not sure if it looks right yet. I don't use references, prolly should, but haven't yet anyways, and would like to know if the arms are working, or if they are way off. I think with all the little adjustments I've made the bad bow is now off it's plane, so I'll probably realign that, redo it anyways so it doesn't look so simple but ya, arms! HALP!

noobgi9.jpg

It's supposed to be a troll, yaya more warcraft nerdiness weee. BTW, drawing a bow being bent back in a draw from a 3/4ths is suprisingly hard! I really should just break down and go for references. =/

Shiboe on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    since i've started reading the civil war chronicles,i've felt kind of meh about tony stark. but after seeing the movie? i feel a little bit more like...
    iloveironman.jpg

melting_doll on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahahaha awesome MD. Glad it's good too, I'm excited about seeing it tonight.

Prospicience on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lololol, his face plate is totally heart shaped.

Kochikens on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's Jedi Gabe!

Spoilered for size-
    jedigabeyq7.jpg

Crits and ideas welcome before I start inking.

nakirush on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    cavalierbot_small.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bacon I love those tones.

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it's SFW wh2roughbv8.jpg
    trying to make a Witch hunter sig, this is the rough of part of it. Warhammer online nerdyness just figured I'd come here for advice on some things in it.

gar well trying to make the hat look like it's actually on the head, anyone has any tips on hat to head physics for drawing please save me.

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I don't know about hat to head quantum mechanics, but you shouldn't be drawing on a white background like that. Pick a neutral colour or at least gray.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.