As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

• FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm about to upgrade to vista, in about a week or so.

I should have the capability to use Vista 64 bit. Should I? Or would I be better off sticking with 32 bit?

Also, if I were to use 64 bit, could I use the serial # for a 32 bit version?

I've been using 64 bit for more than a month and it's fine. I'm using it because I wanted to have 4 GB or RAM.

I'm pretty sure that any retail copy of Vista will let you use the same key for 32 or 64 bit.

Fraz on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have been using Vista 64 for about a month too and have had no major issues with it. Go for it if you want to take advantage of more than 3.2gb of ram.

That_Guy on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, there's security improvements in 64bit over 32bit.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    However, if for some reason you need to use unsigned drivers (you work with custom hardware, you use certain ISO emulators that can't be bothered to get WHQL'd, you use one of the few Open Source products that require a device driver installation, many beta device driver versions) be warned that Vista x64 intentionally makes it a hassle to use them. It's still possible, but you have to manually set it to allow non-signed drivers every time you reboot.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No crazy driver problems with 64 bit?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No crazy driver problems with 64 bit?

Well, including what I just posted above your post, there are still a few companies who, while having signed and functional 32-bit drivers, refuse to make x64 driver versions, but they're generally smaller companies with less popular hardware. The only one that comes to mind is now is Pinnacle.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • SarathaiSarathai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    However, if for some reason you need to use unsigned drivers (you work with custom hardware, you use certain ISO emulators that can't be bothered to get WHQL'd, you use one of the few Open Source products that require a device driver installation, many beta device driver versions) be warned that Vista x64 intentionally makes it a hassle to use them. It's still possible, but you have to manually set it to allow non-signed drivers every time you reboot.

That's only true of kernel mode drivers. And those don't even need to get WHQL'd, any valid digital signature works (This is what Rivatuner and ATItool have done). My new Vista x64 machine has unsigned video drivers on it, and they gave me no more hassle than they would under XP.

Sarathai on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the help, peoples. I got a test drive of Vista x64 going on my lappy. I'm gonna run it for about a week before I decide whether or not to commit my CD-Key to it. Only problem I have so far is my function keys don't seem to work anymore. Hmph.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd imagine for a laptop you're best off with the 32bit version of Vista because there's usually so many different device drivers needed and manufacturers are exceptionally lazy at producing updated ones.

Rook on
    edited April 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    I'd imagine for a laptop you're best off with the 32bit version of Vista because there's usually so many different device drivers needed and manufacturers are exceptionally lazy at producing updated ones.

Actually I got everything running properly after a few runs through Windows Update. I'm surprised they had drivers for my tablet buttons, to be honest.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Here's my number one complaint about Vista (64 bit, anyways). Adobe Audition completely does not work.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have found that flash doesn't work too well in 64bit vista/firefox.

It's mostly good but one site I go to, works fine in IE 32/64bit, and fine in firefox 32 bit. But it dies every time I visit it and have to wait for the prompt to disable the script.

Blake T on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I fell for the more bits thing back with Sega 32x... they won't get me to fall for it again!

Seriously though you can squeeze in enough ram for gaming on 32 bit and I do enough retro and off-the-wall gaming that I don't want to mess with MAOR BITS.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly I've only run across one game that didn't work with my vista 64 bit. a dual boot into ubuntu has solved that problem nicely.

Kingthlayer on
    edited April 2008
    I'm planning to run a dual boot with XP just for whatever handful of programs won't play nice with Vista x64.... is going to make my 60GB hdd feel cramped, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Okay so after having run Vista for a few days, this morning my sound card suddenly stops working. Instead of installing the correct drivers I have provided for it, Vista INSISTS on using generic microsoft drivers that result in the system thinking there is no sound device. After much fiddling I finally got the damn thing to accept the correct drivers.... very frustrating considering yesterday the sound worked just fine.

Then, later today, my wireless stopped working. I'd get an "authentication timeout" almost immediately after instructing it to connect. ALSO strange considering the wireless had been working just fine for the past few days and even this morning. After some searching around I discovered that this is a pretty common problem with Vista, it just doesn't play nice with WPA. At all. Apparently this has been a problem since RC1 and it still hasn't been fixed. I've gotten it kajiggered into working again, but from all accounts the fix is only going to be temporary, and my wireless connection's days are numbered..... *grumble grumble*

I can now see why so many people think Vista is shit.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I have also just discovered that my built in media card reader, which works absolutely fine under XP, doesn't work at all under Vista. I've tried like a bazillion different drivers for it, nothin. What the crap?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    *cough*

Yeah, Vista 32bit if you want things to work :)

Rook on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have also just discovered that my built in media card reader, which works absolutely fine under XP, doesn't work at all under Vista. I've tried like a bazillion different drivers for it, nothin. What the crap?

Whomever made the card didn't make good drivers for Vista.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited May 2008
    *cough*

The WPA problem occurs in all versions of Vista, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *cough*

The WPA problem occurs in all versions of Vista, though.

I haven't run Vista with a wireless card. Hmm.

I built a computer for a friend of mine with a Wireless card. I'm going to test out WPA one day on his rig to see how it goes.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've never had problems with it and I have to do this a lot nowadays workin' in a PC repair place.

There is one printer that refuses to ever ever work with Vista, though.

LaCabra on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Should I turn off UAC and be done with the annoying prompts forever? I'm tired of having to allow everyday programs like FRAPS or FFXI, and no amount of sharing or checking ("run as admin") seems to free these programs from UAC's tight grip.

I've got avast! running at all times, so should I just disable UAC?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yeah, its really just there to nag you

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I've run Vista on two different wireless cards, and both are fine with WPA (though one has issues with 3gb of ram). But again it's a driver fault.

Rook on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    bbmartini wrote: »

Alright, I'll turn off the shit. But what's the best way to do it so it won't keep informing me that UAC has been turned off and I should turn it back on immediately or jesus christ I'm fucked?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited May 2008
    just go to Windows Security Center and turn it off, it won't bug you once do. You'll just have the red icon in the system tray but you can hide that.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Alright, I'll turn off the shit. But what's the best way to do it so it won't keep informing me that UAC has been turned off and I should turn it back on immediately or jesus christ I'm fucked?
    Control Panel > Security > Security Center > Change The Way Security Center Alerts Me > Fuck Off And The Icon Can Fuck Off Too

Azio on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just bought a laptop with Vista. It arrives this week. Is there anything I need to download immediately outside of standard apps that I would have already gotten on Windows XP?

Jasconius on
    edited May 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I just bought a laptop with Vista. It arrives this week. Is there anything I need to download immediately outside of standard apps that I would have already gotten on Windows XP?

Um... well you might want SP1. Windows Update will do that for ya, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    2. What the fuck is wrong with the network manager? It refuses to see my XP machine and vice versa, and while my desktop with Vista can see the media pc and vice versa, there is a huge labyrinth of options to choose to sort out the right sharing options, but they're all bollocks. I've been swearing at the two machines for the last hour trying to get them to talk, but they just refuse. I set access control to public on both, no joy. I set it to private on both, give them both the same network settings, no joy. I tool around with the sharing options, yeah, you guessed it, no joy. What the bloody hell do I have to do to swap a simple file across a network? The media pc can see my desktop pc, but the desktop asks for user name and password to get through - I don't have a bloody password on my desktop. The desktop can see the media pc but, despite my efforts, cannot go into any of the folders I have shared. It can go into the Public folder but when I start copying, it copies a small little before telling me there's an error, and would I like to try again? Yes I would like to try again, but it just copies the 7.85gb file from the start again before repeating. I tried the "Diagnose and repair" option under both computers as a last resort, but you can imagine how helpful that was.

I really, really want to like Vista, but when I can't even specify where to search on my myriad of hard drives, which XP could do with ease, you've got to question what's in the water over at Redmond.

Networking in XP was a fucking nightmare. This is windows problem, not anything new to vista.

Having been to more than my fair share of lans, Vista networking is about 1000000x better than it ever was in XP. Enable guest account, turn on network discovery and file sharing in the network and connections folder, go to the folders you want to share and share them but add the guest account to the sharing permissions.

If the network speeds are slow, it's probably your network. Most routers designed for home use are absolutely fucking shit.

As for the MCSS sound/network problem, Arstechnica has a fairly good article with a slight workaround that might help some people out if they scoot on over to here

This whole thing strikes me as bizarre. I installed Vista Ultimate x64 yesterday and haven't changed a single option except for UAC. When I go to the Network page both of my other XP machines on the network show up, I had no issues adding my HP printer that uses a Jetdirect card, and even the router is on that page. If you double click it it goes to it's page in Firefox. That last one is kind of frivolous but I can see how it's good for people who don't know the IP of their router.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited May 2008

I just got it today, is SP1 something that's available through Windows Update by default? When I ran updates, I didn't see it listed, and I don't know how to check what SP I have installed under Vista.

I don't think I do since this is an older computer with an OEM version of Vista but I guess I need to be sure.

Jasconius on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I just got it today, is SP1 something that's available through Windows Update by default? When I ran updates, I didn't see it listed, and I don't know how to check what SP I have installed under Vista.

I don't think I do since this is an older computer with an OEM version of Vista but I guess I need to be sure.

You might have to update a couple times before SP1 shows up. If that doesn't work, try deleting your update history and rescanning.

Dehumanized on
    edited May 2008
    i think they removed it from the automatic updates because of some incompatibility issues

you can download it here but its mainly a roll up of fixes so you may have the gist of it already
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i think they removed it from the automatic updates because of some incompatibility issues

you can download it here but its mainly a roll up of fixes so you may have the gist of it already
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en
    It was removed for XP, but not Vista. SP1 should show up after you update some and wait a bit.

fogeyman on
  • ElucidaElucida Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know this really isn't a Vista question/comment, but I'm still asking!

In Windows Media Player 11 there are 3 views: Icon; Tile; and Detail. When you go over a certain number of items in the library it starts to sort the items under alphabetical headers (i.e. Angra under A, Blackmore's Night under B). My problem with this is that it creates a lot of dead space compared to what it was doing before. Is there any way I can tell WMP 11 to go fuck its dead space and not sort everything under different headers? Or am I forever stuck with a ton of dead space because I don't conveniently have the perfect # of artists under every damn letter in the alphabet. Also this type of sorting befalls all 3 view types, so I can't just switch from Icon to Tile (or vice versa) to have a no dead space version.

Might as well throw in a vista comment as well, I guess.

Vista is supposed to determine if your currently drivers for various pieces of hardware will work in SP1 before it shows up in Windows Update.

Elucida on
    FFXIV: Sylvinae Mori
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's just you browsing by artist, try clicking "albums" or "songs" at left. I use songs all the time.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    My experience so far has been very negative: my specs

Dell Inspiron 1720

Intel Centrino Duo T7250
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 8400M 128MB
    5.4k RPM 120GB HD

Vista seems to be consistently falted by bottlenecked disk access, triggering a slew of crashes on everything from host processes to Aero.

My attempts to upgrade to SP1 (which I discovered is both not installed and also mysteriously absent from Windows Update) has been met with failure.

I am currently re-downloading the SP incase the first transfer (from a thumb drive) was corrupted some how.

The error I get during install would suggest that indeed the installer itself is corrupt.

The performance is good but as soon as it needs to do anything involving disk access across multiple applications is pretty much shits itself.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2008
    So far Vista seems like a very nice OS that was just never finished.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If SP1 isn't showing up in Windows Update then it's very possible that your computer has some of those incompatible drivers. My laptop had some incompatible fingerprint reader drivers -- once I updated them, SP1 showed up.

Edit: oops, Elucida already mentioned that. It's still probably your problem, Jasc.

ecchi on