As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Phallastar Phallactica - Game Over: Colonial Fleet Wins!

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Flat-spin...

Clouds of Oort...

[tiny]They came from... behind.[/tiny]

Oats on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So what was going on with Gumpy?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Grand Vizier of the Gideon finds a glorious death going down with his ship. Hurray!

cheez on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    Awesome game, but I'm surprised at how close it was considering we nailed so many Cylons with the daily vote. D:
    It was so late that you guys started doing anything to the cylons I really thought this game was a rout for the cylons.

Good game toasters. It would seem iamtheaznman is awesome beyond compare.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Ares of KobolAres of Kobol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In the beginning I was really worried about how balanced this would be. It was really difficult to predict how the game would play out. I feared it could become incredibly lopsided if the village figured out a Cylon-crippling strategy early on, or if the Cylon got lucky with the Thermonuclear Bomb and kept hammering the "increase threat level" button. In the end it was pretty close.

It seems to me now that this game was a bit biased against the Cylon. They obliterated the Colonial network early on, and still lost. I think as soon as the village network understood the mechanics of the Cylon abilities, they could track them down easily.

Although on the other hand I do think the Cylon made a mistake by voting and posting so blatantly in a bloc.

The teams:

The Evil Cylon Team
    • thorgot
    • delroland
    • Osvik
    • PsychoLarry1
    • PsychoCucumber
    • Seriously
    • Gumpy
    • FrostMist
    • Romantic Undead
    • PolloDiablo
    • Mr Defecation
    • Trust (Thrall)

Abilities:
    • 3 direct kills a day, must have a Cylon on ship with target
    • Sacrifice 3 kills, bring 3 Cylon aboard a ship and set up a nerve gas attack. Can be detonated at any point.
    • Sacrifice one or more kills and increase Threat Level by 1
    • Sacrifice 3 kills and remotely kill a player on any ship

The Colonial Specials
    • sepah, Gorilla Salad, iamtheaznman - masoned Ace Pilot group
    • TehSpectre - Ace Pilot
    • Fat.Pig - Ace Pilot
    • Niceguy Myeye - Colonial Marine Officer - Vigilante
    • Oatway - Colonial Marine - becomes Vig if Niceguy dies
    • (if Oatway would have died, random Colonial Soldiers would have become one-use vigs daily)
    • Stew_Stick - Doctor (Guardian, needs to be on same ship)
    • Obbi - Nurse (upgraded to Doctor if Doctor dies)
    • Maximus - Officer of the Presidential Guard (remote Guardian)
    • Varcayn - Senior Scientist (had Cylon Detector, tells if target is Cylon or not)
    • CoreGoon - Junior Scientist (become Senior Scientist if Varcayn dies)
    • Plutonium - Renegade Cylon (full Seer, but also a miller/death miller)

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good game, good game. It was a very, very hectic time as Admiral. I wish I had locked down the Phallactica to keep Seriously from jumping aboard so I could see to the end of the game. But regardless, a win was gained. And that's quite nice, considering how bad the early game was for the humans.

Again, MVP for the humans should go to iamtheaznman. He put together the pieces once they were all out there to get us those two decisive three-kill days. Oh, also Gumpy for helping lead us to those clues. Thanks!

Interesting to see Seriously employ the strategy of targeting the Cloud 9 and Gideon before the Phallactica - that really was his best action. I'm thankful that the Cylons didn't target non-military ships as primary or secondary targets in the first two battles - that would have caused even more destruction than they had actually caused by destroying more vital ships.

delroland certainly does have reason to be annoyed about the voting and Martial Law mechanics. Abstaining leading to voting for the incumbent really helped myself, Obbi, and iamtheaznman stay in power. And the enacting / repealing of Martial Law was rather abusive. But we did what we needed to do to win. After losing most of our specials in the first half, I wasn't sure if we were going to get that far. 12 baddies, 23.5%, including one thrall, was a tall order! And yet somehow we made it. Whew.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy moly that was close. Good game all.

Thanks Bliss/Hylian.

@Delroland: Gumpy revealed to me that his kill was ship based, thus I figured that you, Trust, and Psycho were all Cylons.

PS: There were so many Cylons it was ridiculous, I thought we had the game in the bag 2 days ago.

iamtheaznman on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So be it.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Well, at least I got to shoot some Cylons.

Oats on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who killed Varcayn? I wanted to thank him.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Not me.

I had three kills saved up at the end (I only ever used one a night due to the same-ship restriction).

Oats on
    edited May 2008
    Thanks all for the praise, but I couldn't have done it without all the help from almost everyone one of you guys.

@Thorgot: I believe Myeye killed Varcaryn.

iamtheaznman on
    edited May 2008
    thorgot wrote: »

Nigecuy Myeye claimed responsibility and revealed his role to me afterwards.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I got my role PM I thought you were just being mean to me.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    The good network didn't really have any boards. We mostly communicated through ims/pms because of the fear of thralls.

Heres the board that us Masons started with:

http://acepilots13.proboards82.com/index.cgi

iamtheaznman on
    edited May 2008

Psylonduck is such a great emoticon.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2008
    Anyways, what I did was get in contact with Blarney day two, and I told him the details of my role.

Naturally, he would have thought that it was a cylon trick, so I had him give me orders on what to do, and I told him that he shouldn't give me any details about the network.

Plutonium on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Nigecuy Myeye claimed responsibility and revealed his role to me afterwards.

Niceguy probably took me out as well, that jerk.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited May 2008

Psylonduck is such a great emoticon.

It really really needs to become standard everywhere.

Oats on
    edited May 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Anyways, what I did was get in contact with Blarney day two, and I told him the details of my role.

Naturally, he would have thought that it was a cylon trick, so I had him give me orders on what to do, and I told him that he shouldn't give me any details about the network.

You could have asked him for information. It worked for me!

These proboards are where I "seered" Teh and DA.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    The Niceguy kill was the toilet one, right? That was actually a remote kill; we didn't have to be on the same ship for that one.

delroland on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, your three-for-one deal.

Oats on
    edited May 2008
    If I were the (Evil) Cylons, I would have had them jump from ship to ship planting nerve gas for a few days, and then taken out 20+ players in a day of glory.

Plutonium on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Woo! Humans win, and I survived!

Gorilla Salad on
    edited May 2008
    So, what would have happened if I were the last survivor? That might have been a weird narration.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    If I were the (Evil) Cylons, I would have had them jump from ship to ship planting nerve gas for a few days, and then taken out 20+ players in a day of glory.

Three of us had to be on the ship to plant the bomb, and if three of us kept on transferring ships every day to the same ship, the hammer would have fallen pretty quickly.

Edit: I mean, we could have staggered, but then we would have run afoul of MrB's ship shuffle.

delroland on
    edited May 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Three of us had to be on the ship to plant the bomb, and if three of us kept on transferring ships every day to the same ship, the hammer would have fallen pretty quickly.

It doesn't need to be the three same people - You could have easily made it work.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008

It doesn't need to be the three same people - You could have easily made it work.

We don't need advice from a human lover.

baltar032.gif

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Ares of KobolAres of Kobol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, once again big thanks to Hylianbunny for volunteering to help me with this, although I ended up pretty much sidelining him like I did in our previous Phalla too. Sorry about that. I wouldn't even have started running a Phalla if I didn't know I had a capable backup, however.

The random items and upgrades that could be produced by the Research Ships were:

- Advanced Cylon Detector Prototype: will tell you if one or more Cylon are present on your ship. One use only. Only available if the Scientists are dead.
    - Lymphocytic Encephalitis Virus prototype: one use vig kill that humans were immune to
    - The Virus could be upgraded by the Research Ships to have 2 uses before it ran out.
    - Targeted Proximity Mine: name 3 targets, leave the mine on a ship: it will kill one of your targets as soon as they get on the ship
    - The Mine could be upgraded to actually travel to a ship of your choice each day until it finds one of its targets (never happened though)
    - Advanced Medical Kit Prototype: survive one direct kill attempt on yourself. Only available if the Guardians are dead.
    - +10% hull strength for all ships (never happened)
    - Threat Level reduction by one. This happened once but the Cylon still got the battle they expected, because they were somehow constantly assuming the Threat Level was one less than it actually was.

Items were handed out randomly, but the Cylon were unlucky enough to never get one.

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008

We don't need advice from a human lover.

baltar032.gif

That defective model was boxed up.

I have nothing but contempt for the fleshies.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    azn, didn't you get that mine?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited May 2008

Edit: I mean, we could have staggered, but then we would have run afoul of MrB's ship shuffle.

Oh, did my movement orders actually make a difference? I guess they did, considering they were key to cracking who you guys were from the kill mechanics. Looks like my Admiralcy wasn't all bad, then.

EDIT: Were there mechanics behind which ships closed down each day? I was kind of annoyed at the fact that the ships that closed down weren't the ones I would have chosen to close.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2008
    azn, didn't you get that mine?

Yep but not the advanced version.

iamtheaznman on
    edited May 2008
    I can't speak for the others, but it seemed to me that if we had blown off your move orders we would have started dying off sooner than we did, so we danced to your beat.

delroland on
    edited May 2008
    So...2 people survived from the entire starting group.

Woah.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh, did my movement orders actually make a difference? I guess they did, considering they were key to cracking who you guys were from the kill mechanics. Looks like my Admiralcy wasn't all bad, then.

EDIT: Were there mechanics behind which ships closed down each day? I was kind of annoyed at the fact that the ships that closed down weren't the ones I would have chosen to close.

They were completely random. Each ship required two players in the fleet to be active, so once the player count started dropping below number of ships * 2 I started closing down the ships. I figured that allowing a situation where you could only have 1 person on most ships could break the game.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited May 2008
    It's too bad we didn't all get together on one ship.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I assume we boxed up my defective model? I would like its circuitry to be brought to me for analysis, so that we may eliminate other weak-minded models.

This was merely a tactical retreat. Next time you fleshies won't be so lucky.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    For the record we wanted Trust and Delroland to both die from the start. Which ever didn't bite the vote was getting Martial Law'ed.

iamtheaznman on