As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    good point...though I'm probably going to cry when i switch the background color

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
    edited May 2008
    wh3roughyi7.jpg

yeah i can see where i need to highlight/shadow better now, thanks for the tip.

sleepdeamon on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sure looks rather splotchy there sleepdeamon. Try and think of the major planes of the face.

Sublimus on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I decided to do a cloud study. I think I liked it more when I was half-done than I do now. Obviously, I need to do more studies--I think I'll try to find some time to stare at some Constables.
    Cloud-study01.jpg

Edit: I did something else:

Errol01copy.jpg

piL on
  • Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    piL wrote: »
    I decided to do a cloud study. I think I liked it more when I was half-done than I do now. Obviously, I need to do more studies--I think I'll try to find some time to stare at some Constables.

snip clouds

snip person

They both look quite impressionistic right now. By that I mean the shading. Monet or some such with the brush strokes, you know?

Demi Gourd on
    edited May 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Sure looks rather splotchy there sleepdeamon. Try and think of the major planes of the face.

yeah I was trying to make him look very haggerd and beat up, if that didn't communicate then I failed at it. If you have any tips on the process i should go through for making the shadow/highlights work with skin textures and blemishes then I'm game, this is only really the second or third thing i've done with photoshop for coloring and I'm trying to do more (mostly work with other stupid crap like sculpture or intermedia stuff, sigh) the first was mostly in illistrator but i don't have that program myself i was just using the ASU lab computers ( :/ there's no detail on it was just going for basic comic strip chap http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1074/wthimcaverageti5.gif and my teacher loved it so I'm not going to argue). But yeah, problem at hand anywase, I know i should probably get GIMP i hear it's as good at Photoshop so it's probably better then photoshop elements anywase, hopefully it will have a smooth function my wacom is only 5x4 and is killing me on trying to make a nonwobly line.

Well enough ranting, If anyone has anymore tips on things like anatomy and textures...or hat to head mechanics...or anything I'm always listening and trying to improve.

sleepdeamon on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Demi Gourd wrote: »
    They both look quite impressionistic right now. By that I mean the shading. Monet or some such with the brush strokes, you know?

WWwwwwhhaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAt?

You're joking right? Tell me you're joking.

Are we talking about the same Monet?
    If anyone has anymore tips on things like anatomy and textures...or hat to head mechanics...or anything I'm always listening and trying to improve.

Well it's good that you want to improve, but the only way you can i through direct observation.

No one here is gonna be able to explain to you how a hat fits on a head...you need to...well look for yourself.

References are you friends!

DeeLock on
    edited May 2008
    And friends are you references--get a buddy with a hat and draw him.

Am I allowed to coin that? I wan to coin that.

piL on
    edited May 2008
    Crap, I totped

cavalierbot_small.jpg
    wh3roughyi7.jpg

yeah i can see where i need to highlight/shadow better now, thanks for the tip.
    piL wrote: »
    Cloud-study01.jpg

Edit: I did something else:

Errol01copy.jpg

piL on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I made a cover for my sketchbook.

covergray.jpg

Scosglen on
  • HarpsichordHarpsichord Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I made a cover for my sketchbook.

Kinda fucking rad right there.

Harpsichord on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    imageshoppere.jpg

Trying to emulate a pretty iconic image from The Walking Dead using Artrage and Photoshop, sans a tablet. For a mouse I think she's coming along well but good fucking God I don't wanna imagine how I'm going to get the red in there.

GOD DAMMIT!

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY EMULATE WHEN THEY MEAN STEAL?!?!?!

NakedZergling on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i used it as a point of reference

i didn't pull a "greg land"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited May 2008
    but hey, nice use of exclamation points and question marks there

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GOD DAMMIT!

Oh boy...Yoji Shinkawa is gonna have a field day with my ass. Ashley Wood would just point and laugh....

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    quick animation i did.

(don't know how to embed video. click image for link if you're interested.)

Picture14.png

r-jasper on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scos, I find your sketchbook cover humorous, was this your intent?
    Also, is it done in traditional media? It actually looks halfway like you were trying Photoshop methods with watercolor or markers.
    GOD DAMMIT!

It's all the same with artists and musicians- you steal from the best because the best have to look classy and say "ah yes, I am happy that a young artist likes my work so much" instead of "get your own style, you pissant".

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Also, is it done in traditional media? It actually looks halfway like you were trying Photoshop methods with watercolor or markers.

I dunno, humorous in what way?

It's more like 99% traditional 1% photoshop. I drew the character first with a black marker and then went in with some 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% copics to render it. I thinned out some white acrylic and applied that to the highlights to make it pop. The only photoshop is a few very small tweaks to fix some mistakes and push a few values up or down in a couple spots--they're probably not where you think they are either.

Scosglen on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »

I dunno, humorous in what way?

It's more like 99% traditional 1% photoshop. I drew the character first with a black marker and then went in with some 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% copics to render it. I thinned out some white acrylic and applied that to the highlights to make it pop. The only photoshop is a few very small tweaks to fix some mistakes and push a few values up or down in a couple spots--they're probably not where you think they are either.

No, I mean the painting style looked a bit digital despite being traditional. It's humorous in that "weird monster man wearing lopsided crown" way.

Tam on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So did you draw that on your sketchbook? If so, what's the point of doing anything digital to it?

Sublimus on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    So did you draw that on your sketchbook? If so, what's the point of doing anything digital to it?

Same reason some one would scan in anything and color it in photoshop? No reason not to take something further in the digital realm if you want too....

Speaking of sketchbooks, I started a new one, so how about I post a metric ton of shit from my old one and the first pages of my new one, yeah?

skpg1.jpg
    skpg2.jpg
    skpg3.jpg
    skpg4.jpg
    skpg5.jpg
    skpg6.jpg
    skpg7.jpg
    skpg8.jpg
    skpg9.jpg
    skpg10.jpg
    skpg11.jpg
    skpg12.jpg
    skpg13.jpg
    skpg14.jpg
    skpg15.jpg

Iruka on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wd48.jpg

see thats not inspired..it's fucking stolen.
    if you like his stuff why not draw your own version?
    or at least man up and say
    "Hey guys tell me what you think of my COPIED version of walking dead 48"

NakedZergling on
    edited May 2008

When it's adorning my sketchbook, it's just a neat decoration.

When it's being served to your monitor from my webhost, then it's a piece of art open for scrutiny. If I can make a few extremely minor tweaks to fix mistakes that I can't do on the actual cover due to the stubborn nature of physical media, why not? Again, I cannot overstate how minor the tweaks that I made are.

scover.jpg

Iruka: Awesome! Something about your sketches gives me the urge to color them half the time, for some odd reason.

Scosglen on
    edited May 2008
    I think the image looks better in the warm tones, scos. And you can color anything you want, if the urge is strong. I'll probably pick our a few to color myself after finals.

Iruka on
    edited May 2008

come now

you're being a tad overzealous

Calamity Jane on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iruka, your sketchbook looks how I want my sketchbook to look......I'm envious.

Mustang on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

come now

...? What are you talking about? That's like...a direct copy, without tracing. It would be different if that were a photo, but it's not. You're just copying someone else's art. That's all.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008

come now

Well, let's just make sure that we understand the word "emulate." Emulate is basically a fancy word for "copy." One who emulates is trying to do something just as well as somebody else. In this case, anjin decided to copy the image from Walking Dead and in so doing tried to emulate that artist. He fell short. However, in his defense he was using a mouse. However, at the end of the day it's still a copy of somebody else's work and anjin should own up to that much.

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    I never explicitly stated "MY ORIGINAL PIECE OF WORK".

but then, you can't trust me

i'm a fucking thief
    wd48.jpg

so let's see here

i am simply trying to doodle up a little cover i enjoyed

and i need to "man up" to satisfy your goofy fucking need to do what...exactly?

the intent wasn't originality! what the fuck is wrong with you?

Calamity Jane on
    edited May 2008
    First of all - We have an edit button on this forum for a reason. Learn to use it.

Secondly - It's only fair to give credit where credit is due. You didn't use is as a point of reference. You copied somebody else's artwork. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with doing that but don't act like you're doing something else, here.

Grifter on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You did say that emulate is a fancy word for copy, and low and behold he did use the word emulate in the original post and stated where it came from so ..... he already did?

Junpei on
    edited May 2008
    Junpei wrote: »
    You did say that emulate is a fancy word for copy, and low and behold he did use the word emulate in the original post and stated where it came from so ..... he already did?

That would have been acceptable if he hadn't said that he used it as a "point of reference" in his next post. Greg Land might use photos for points of reference but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't copy somebody else's artwork. I might be wrong on that one, though.

Grifter on
  • PhatsamuraiPhatsamurai Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Hi, been lurking for a while now, couple years actually, I feel I'm getting to the point where I can start to show off a little bit, and get some much needed crits.

let me know what you think of these quickies ^^

Battousaii.jpg

Kenshin.jpg

MarioSketch.jpg

Littlefoot-1.jpg
    Sketched/inked/colored pencil about an hour total

Kenshin-Final.jpg
    Finished version of the above, also my first ever piece of digital art ^^

Looking forward to some feedback =D

Phatsamurai on
    I like to art.
    edited May 2008
    I liked this thread better when people were complimenting me.

Huh? What? I didnt say anything. I agree with grifter. Yeah. Scos is awesome.

edit: Fuck, you posted at the same time I did. Phat your sketches are okay, but your digital coloring is hurtin. The lensflare and the background are cheesy, you should avoid effects that look so.... unintentionally digital

Iruka on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iruka I love pretty much everything you've ever posted; it's always full of life and very natural, even when the characters are just standing about.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • HarpsichordHarpsichord Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

In all absolute fairness your massive sketch dump reminded me that I spent all my day playing GTA IV. My immediate reaction was to hit the books pretty heavy.

Compliments were purged entirely at that moment.

Harpsichord on
  • PhatsamuraiPhatsamurai Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Yea Iruka, I think the background is really cheesy as well but it was better than plain white -_-

Like I said it's my first piece, also, it was done totally in Illustrator :(
    I'm looking forward to learning PS, right now I suck something fierce.

I'm a bigger fan of Pencil + Paper anyways :P

TY for the feedback, I'm off to bed.

Phatsamurai on
    I like to art.
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    brownsuit.jpg
    chat threaders will know what this is about.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2008
    All I see is style.
    but as a crit that suit should clearly be black.

Iruka on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    All I see is style.
    but as a crit that suit should clearly be black.
    blacksuit.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.