As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DS] Looking for slow, non-frantic games

2»

• MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Picross is excellent. I personally play it with the stylus, which would be a nightmare on the bus, but surprise! It has an optional, traditional, non-stylus based control scheme.

And it's cheap. Really cheap. And I'm still only maybe 1/2 thru all the puzzles.

Mashalot on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    I'm looking for something that is a bit more easy-going yet still allows for small gaming bursts of 5-10 minutes spread out over the day (which is how I'm doing the whole handheld thing).
    Animal Crossing Wild World was made for you. Go out and aquire it now.

Bedlam on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tetris DS was 41.99 instead on Amazon, so I caved and ordered it. :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, so I picked up Puzzle Quest yesterday, and I can attest to the fact that it is very friendly to pick-up-and-play. Thus far, most of the matches have been about 5-10 minutes each. It's pretty easy to pick up where you left off as well.

As far as GBA games go, I loved Metroid: Zero Mission. It is by far my most favorite GBA game. However, it's probably not a great game for 5-minute bursts. I think a typical play session for me is about 30 minutes to an hour.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Throwing a vote out for Picross as well. I love it. I got it when it was released and I'm still not done with every puzzle in there.

And I generally hate puzzle games too. But you can't get enough Picross.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    No one ever talks about it, but Age of Empires on the DS is pretty much the only DS game I ever play anymore.

It's a turn-based strategy game kind of like medieval Advance Wars, but better because it's just better and you should listen to me because I know these things.

Yes! I picked this up for 7 bucks at gamestop, I was amazed how great it was. It is far better then advances wars I completely agree, and I have been playing strategy games for a long time.

I cannot reccomend this game enough.

Troy on
  • Lando_GriffinLando_Griffin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Panzer Tactics.

Sort of a clunky UI, but the game itself is incredibly meaty.

Lando_Griffin on
    xfire sig: rustyaqualung
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just thought of something

why hasn't anyone recommended Contra 4 yet

Senshi on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They've both been mentioned already, so I'll join the chorus.

Puzzle Quest and Age of Empires were the first things I thought of when I read the OP.

I also find myself playing a lot of Super Street Fighter II Turbo Remix *gasp for air* for the GBA.

If you keep Turbo turned off, it's the classic-pace SF2 action with some nice extras. Looks good, not so fast-paced that it's frantic, and the matches are short. If I don't feel like playing through the "arcade" mode, there are shorter gameplay modes that pit you against small numbers of opponents. For me, it's the perfect portable fighter.

citizen059 on
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Troy wrote: »
    It is far better then advances wars I completely agree, and I have been playing strategy games for a long time.

What's the learning curve like? The last strategy game I played was Ogre Battle for the SNES and I gave up about half-way in, when I got trounced repeatedly and couldn't figure out how to make it past the battle without restarting the whole game.

Joe Dizzy on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Panzer Tactics.

Sort of a clunky UI, but the game itself is incredibly meaty.

Second, with a "but."

The actual strategy involved in Panzer Tactics is far deeper than anything else on the DS - pretty much a full-fledged wargame, hexes and all. I'd definitely recommend going with Advance Wars first and then graduating to Panzer if you're looking for more of a challenge, sort of like going from checkers to chess.

BubbaT on
    edited May 2008
    Can anyone remind me why games become rare again? Paying so much for Tetris DS has me depressed. Why don't produce more copies of their games, just more slowly? Or do it in cycles? A game only has to be designed and developed once, that is the expensive part.

I imagine the same manufacturer creates the discs (or in this case, cartridge) so I don't think it would make much difference between creating a new release or making new copies of an older one (see DVDs.)

Cantido on
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Can anyone remind me why games become rare again? Paying so much for Tetris DS has me depressed. Why don't produce more copies of their games, just more slowly? Or do it in cycles? A game only has to be designed and developed once, that is the expensive part.

I imagine the same manufacturer creates the discs (or in this case, cartridge) so I don't think it would make much difference between creating a new release or making new copies of an older one (see DVDs.)
    It's those damned Nintendo Dogs, taking all the cartridges. Fuck 'em.

Seriously, it's probably because it's cheaper to have factories geared up for one title at a time. Publishers forecast how many copies are likely to sell, and print that many. Of course, predictions aren't perfect, and sometimes games are more popular that anticipated. (Looking at you, Atlus!) Sucks, but that's life.

EDIT: on-topic, how does Geometry Wars sound? Eh? Eh? Ok, fine. I recommend Etrian Odyssey. Completely turn-based, and insanely addictive. Explore a huge dungeon, mapping it out on the touch-screen. Sic Fight and Heal on hundreds of ravenous monsters! What's not to like?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Troy wrote: »
    It is far better then advances wars I completely agree, and I have been playing strategy games for a long time.

What's the learning curve like? The last strategy game I played was Ogre Battle for the SNES and I gave up about half-way in, when I got trounced repeatedly and couldn't figure out how to make it past the battle without restarting the whole game.

The learning curve isn't all that steep.

The campaigns can be pretty difficult, but there's also a skirmish type mode where you can set up games on the map of your choice as the nation of your choice and against up to three AI opponents or teammates and you can set them to what you want. You can also choose AI difficulty and choose their behavior. It helps out quite a bit to get your bearings. It's not an obstructively complicated game, though, so it shouldn't be tons of trouble.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

har har im such a comedian

Senshi on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't think of anything more relaxing then these titles.

Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Bangai-o Spirits

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-v7dCioi4

The Japanese dude doing the voiceover would probably agree with you.

I mean, he's being really really enthusiastic about this game.

Senshi on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Front Mission DS is a turn-based-tactics game I have been using in the role you described for months now.

Having only time to play between classes, you can just clamshell it shut during class and come back an hour later, or quicksave during almost anything (minimal dialogue, and you can't save during an enemy turn, which resolves quickly anyway).

Front Mission also has a large mech customization/upgrade component, so the non-comabt segments of the game can be lengthy while you upgrade all your mechs or do very short (like 30s long) arena battles to earn extra cash.

Luminous Arc is a tactics game in the vein of FFT, but unless you are willing to occasionally make a whole gaming session out of a cutscene, you might avoid it. The character voice acting is usually a nice touch, but some of the voice actors suck. Otherwise, it's turn based and so easy to just close the DS or quicksave at many points.

Finally, Izuna is a dungeon crawler with minimum of plot but fun leveling/item collection. It's more forgiving than a standard cralwer; death simply removes all gold and items, but you can keep your XP and level (along with any items you used a magic item on to make them teleport out with you). There's like 5 dungeons, and you'll be spending some time between dungeons grinding out levels to get read for the new ones, but you can save on every floor, or just close the DS to easily step away.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
    edited May 2008

Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Bangai-o Spirits

Dude. Mario Kart? Relaxing? For real? I have never sworn at a game so much in my life.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Bangai-o Spirits

Dude. Mario Kart? Relaxing? For real? I have never sworn at a game so much in my life.

So you never played Ninja Gaiden?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You die in Ninja Gaiden, it's your fault.

You lose in Mario Kart and the world's out to get you.

The second one makes most people a lot angrier then the first.

Yes, someone caught me, none of those games are particularly relaxing.

Animal Crossing is the right answer for slow and non-frantic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2008
    My copy of Tetris DS came in. The fact that Worldwide battle worked makes it worth the money.

It has no case though. What do you all use to store your cartridges?

Cantido on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What do you all use to store your cartridges?

An old glasses case. Works great and I can fit GBA games in there too.

LewieP on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I have one of those fancy little hold-six-games travelling cases with phantom Hourglass on it.
    Mainly because it was cheap.

The other cartridges sit in their boxes.

Xagarath on
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Nintendo online store (http://store.nintendo.com/) sells DS game cases 10 for $7. Many DS and GBA games have had their cover art (box art for GBA) scanned and uploaded to http://www.thecoverproject.net. Download and print onto a legal size sheet in color, cut it out and insert into the case. Instant homemade case! I did this with all my GBA games.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2008
    cjeris wrote: »

Nintendo online store (http://store.nintendo.com/) sells DS game cases 10 for $7. Many DS and GBA games have had their cover art (box art for GBA) scanned and uploaded to http://www.thecoverproject.net. Download and print onto a legal size sheet in color, cut it out and insert into the case. Instant homemade case! I did this with all my GBA games.

You just reminded me:

I can probably jack a case from my job. This isn't the first time I've done this for a new box/cover art. <3

Cantido on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Bangai-o Spirits

I would not recommend the Ouendan/EBA games for playing on a bus. You do need rather precise control, especially on higher difficulties. And it's not relaxing until you're really good at the game.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Bangai-o Spirits

I would not recommend the Ouendan/EBA games for playing on a bus. You do need rather precise control, especially on higher difficulties. And it's not relaxing until you're really good at the game.

Uh, that entire post was a joke.

Senshi on