As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Football, Cannons and Small Minds [update]

ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
No one seems to be hollering abou this over here yet so in case you havent heard

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16292681/

Boy gets his leg nearly blown off by ceremonial cannon at a football game AND...

He is NOT airlifted to a trauma center. The game is NOT cancelled. The numerous people in the town ARE threatening the boy and his family to keep quiet about it so as to preserve their tradition of shooting a cannon off at football games.
According to Karch's medical records, security guards notified police after Karch received disturbing phone calls and visits from parents and students, some of whom threatened to "break his other leg" or worse, if he didn't keep quiet about the accident. Hospital staff had to move him to a secure room where they monitored visitors.

Callers and visitors told Karch they would "make sure his other leg got blown off," and that "there would be retaliation" if the family cooperated in an investigation that could end the cannon tradition, said Mary Bissel, Karch's mother. "That's when I kind of got a little upset," Karch said.

All I can really say is that this is just sick, particularly thinking about how the family must feel to have their town turn so vicious on them like that.

edit: linky
Students wear safety glasses and gloves as they stuff two nylon bags, each filled with about 1.7 ounces of gunpowder, into the cannon's barrel. An adult adds the lid.

"To fire it, it's like flipping a light switch. There's nothing to it," Mack said. "It's very simple."

So, its loaded with pre-measured charges (some have claimed that the injured student must have made some mistake in measuring the powder charge)

here's the Fark thread on this

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
ALocksly on

• Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Saw this on Something Awful earlier.

What's amazing is that despite the fact that they found a stress fracture in the 20-year old cannon that was made as a part of a high-school shop project, they still fired it. Whut?

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    Saw this on Something Awful earlier.

What's amazing is that despite the fact that they found a stress fracture in the 20-year old cannon that was made as a part of a high-school shop project, they still fired it. Whut?

See, I used to fire a slightly larger black powder cannon at a boy scout camp for flag ceremonies.

We had the thing X-Rayed regularly and we also knew what it's maximum load was and we NEVER exceeded 50% of that.

We also had a LONG cord for the detonater so we were about 20ft away when we did it. The pic I saw on Fark shows them standing right behind the damn thing.

I put this thing squarely on the shoulders of the school.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, happened right here in Snohomish too.

Nice.

ege02 on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seems to be getting some interesting attention... just got on MySpace and Megadeth made a bulletin about making donations to the kid.

Though, is the town so stupid that they can't come up with some kind of safety precaution, like having profesionals or members of the fire department, or someone not a part of the school come and shoot off the canon so they can keep their tradition? All threatening the family is going to accomplish is having a larger chance of them losing the tradition, and having many people getting police attention for all of these threats.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Had the town fixed the cannon and shown at least the slightest bit of sympathy, they'd keep their cannon and, while I can't speak for the condition of the leg, it'd be as good as they could make it. And nobody outside the greater Snohomish area would be the wiser. However, seeing as they're total dicksmacks, the whole country knows about it now.

So here, because I have bullet points strewn all over this house and I've got to get rid of them somehow, is what I think will happen:

*The kid's leg winds up worse than it could have been due to the doctors having to waste resources trying to protect the kid from an angry mob.
    *A nationwide outcry from just about everyone that catches wind of the story more or less forces Snohomish to dump the cannon.
    *The investigation is going to go forward now, kid or no kid. God help them if someone at any of the networks takes a liking to the story and devotes significant airtime to it. You can't fend off cable news with a blowtorch once they take an interest in you.
    *The cannon itself will wind up someplace not on a football field- most likely in an evidence room. No way they're going to get to make a new one.
    *The family is going to sue Snohomish for all they're worth. They don't feel like doing it yet, but I assure you they will before very long. They will almost assuredly win.
    *Immediately upon winning the case and the leg's recovery, the family, fearing for their safety, moves out of state, taking Snohomish's money with them.
    *With the resulting slashed budget, no cannon, and probably minus a few of the players that made the threats (for any of several possible reasons), Snohomish's football team will wind up sucking for at least the next couple seasons.

Long story short, karma is about to smack some people around but good.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Me: "This is in the south, right? Must be in the south."

clicks link

Article: "SNOHOMISH!"

Me: "Aw, god fuckin' DAMN it!"

I live a few miles from these sick assholes...

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Given the readership of this forum, plus that of Fark and Somethingawful etc this thing already has international attention. I'm guessing cable news is only a matter of time. The farkers well..... farked the schools web page and the wiki article on the school also had to be policed up after population statistices there began to reference sheep/ human hybrids in the towns ethnic makeup.

The family (as of last check) has no intention of suing and the school itself was organising some fundage for the med bills; however the donations turnout for the town was downright disgusting at best. Neigboring schools and towns easily put them to shame coming up with cash for the kid.

ALocksly on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:

Nice.
    Yeah, I heard about this on the radio earlier today. I'm not in any way surprised by anything that's happened so far; it's Snohomish.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So: The kid isn't suing, and the town could keep right on with their perfectly fine tradition if they'd just fix the canon and put some sane safety precautions in place (like remote fuses and putting an actual professional in charge), but instead they blame this kid and are sending him so many death threats the hospital had to put him in a secure room?

What kind of Fuckwitville is this, again? Do they dump lead wholesale into the water system, or is the widespread stupidity merely the result of traditional inbreeding?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    So: The kid isn't suing, and the town could keep right on with their perfectly fine tradition if they'd just fix the canon and put some sane safety precautions in place (like remote fuses and putting an actual professional in charge), but instead they blame this kid and are sending him so many death threats the hospital had to put him in a secure room?

What kind of Fuckwitville is this, again? Do they dump lead wholesale into the water system, or is the widespread stupidity merely the result of traditional inbreeding?
    You remember that story I told you about Roy a while back in the first Tasering thread? Snohomish is kind of like that, only bigger. So, yeah; inbreeding.

EDIT: It seems Snohomish was just inside the downwind cone of the Asarco smelter, so they might actually have ample portions of lead in their drinking water. Who knows?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hmm don't schools just use concussion mortars now? i know thats what my college dumped the cannon for. The cannon still sits in the corner but now they have professionals fire off concussion mortars which are a billion times cooler and safer to boot

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    High school football is pretty much all the worst, stupidest aspects of all sports rolled into one.

Idiocy in the name of tradition (golf)? Check.

Fans rioting in the stands (soccer)? Check.

Bizarrely strict enforcement of rules with no thought of context (NFL)? Check.

Preferential treatment is seemingly non-sports-related areas of society? Check.

Heck, they even make up new ones, such as "Murdering people for the opportunity to cheer for the team."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:

Nice.

Wow. All the pieces are coming together. :P

In any case, it's just a bunch of assholes in a shitty town being jerks because high school football is all they have to look forward to in their horrible lives.

Doc on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The best part is, apparently the cannon was fired off earlier in the day during a parade, and instead of it's normal ring of smoke, there was just a big cloud of it that spread everywhere.

And nobody thought enough of this sudden, unexpected behavior to think any more about it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Doc wrote:
    ege02 wrote:

Nice.

Wow. All the pieces are coming together. :P

I live in Seattle. Snohomish is still "here" though, relatively speaking. :D

ege02 on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got family there. My grandparents just moved out of there this year.

Wow. Buncha sharp folks in Snohomish, eh?

Good blackberries, though.

Tach on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    lol, Washington. lol.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Huh...when I was living in Washington, I always had the impression that Snohomish wasn't inhabited by mouth-breathing troglodytes. Of course, that was based purely on having breakfast at some restaurant there a few times.

The thing that really confuses me is that they wanted him and his family to keep quiet about something that happened live in front of a (presumably) large audience. It would be like trying to hush up a graduation ceremony.

Well, OK, that's ONE of the things that confuses me about this.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tell em to put a band aid on it and be a man!!!

seriously, though... they shouldn't treat this kid like it's his fault

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006

i think the phrase you're looking for is "walk it off"

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:

Salt tablet

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just read the thread, because I figured it was your usual football thread.

Holy shit. What a bunch of fuckheads. That family needs to sue that school for millions, bleeding them out of every cent that they can, so that the rest of the town gets stuck footing the bills via property tax, then move to another state.

If there's any justice in the world, they won't be able to afford a football team, anymore.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    lol, Washington. lol.
    Hey, contrary to popular belief, Snohomish is not part of Washington; we forcefully expelled it from the state long ago, only nobody's realized it yet.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    how the hell do you even pronounce that anyway

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    how the hell do you even pronounce that anyway
    Snuh-home-ish.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:

In this case it would probably have to be "hop it off" or "crawl it off"

In any case, this is pretty fucked up. But being so invested in high school sports that you have a cannon is just totally alien to me anyways. High school and university/college sports are nowhere near as big a deal in Canada as in the US.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

In this case it would probably have to be "hop it off" or "crawl it off"

In any case, this is pretty fucked up. But being so invested in high school sports that you have a cannon is just totally alien to me anyways. High school and university/college sports are nowhere near as big a deal in Canada as in the US.

I can understand caring about local sports, well not understand but I can acknowledge it happens, at least to the point where all kinds of weird traditions build up around it.

But the idea of not just a few people, but everyone in the town, caring so much about it that the reaction to a kid getting his leg blown to hell is to becoming enraged to the point of sending him death threats because his devastating injury shows devastating injuries can occur when you rig up a cannon in shop class boggles the mind.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    UPDATE:

from the mayor of Snohomish comes this damage control statement, rumoured to be in response to the floods of hate mail and boycotts of shopping in the town.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/296972_snohomish26.html?source=mypi

Of note is that his account of the towns behavior after the inccident appears somewhat different from that described in the origional article.

Specifically that he claims that only "one or two" people were involved in the harassment and claiming that most of the community was unaware that the incident had occured at all.

I must call BS on that last one. In a town that small, having a longstanding tradition blow up on the football field would probably get noticed.

ALocksly on
  • Options
    Creative_EvilCreative_Evil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'd just like to chime in with a "holy crap, this actually happened somewhat near me", I live in Bothell (I believe its a suburb of Seattle, definitely around that area), and actually have a friend who goes to that school and was at that football game. On a more topical note I agree that these people are a bunch of idiots who need to be stopped from reproducing.

Creative_Evil on
    potcsig.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    UPDATE:

from the mayor of Snohomish comes this damage control statement, rumoured to be in response to the floods of hate mail and boycotts of shopping in the town.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/296972_snohomish26.html?source=mypi

Of note is that his account of the towns behavior after the inccident appears somewhat different from that described in the origional article.

Specifically that he claims that only "one or two" people were involved in the harassment and claiming that most of the community was unaware that the incident had occured at all.

I must call BS on that last one. In a town that small, having a longstanding tradition blow up on the football field would probably get noticed.
    I'd also like to note the apparent disparity (though I haven't verified it) in funds raised for the kid in town compared to those raised in neighboring areas.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg