As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic for 12/29/06

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shorty on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    hey this was my favorite cts story okay

Knob on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:

I am so gay for how I met your mother. It's a romance sitcom and oh god why do I think it is so good and why did I get the first season of it and watch them all in like three days

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dude I am the same way about Veronica Mars.

Shorty on
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:

I am so gay for how I met your mother. It's a romance sitcom and oh god why do I think it is so good and why did I get the first season of it and watch them all in like three days

Hey Whippy

If you met Alysson Hannigan

Would you be cool enough

To let me have sex with her

At the same time you did?

BECAUSE I SO WOULD.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    MavricMavric Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anyone else find this arch awfully pretentious?

Mavric on
    つまらない~。。。
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mavric wrote:
    Anyone else find this arch awfully pretentious?

what arch

i don't see an arch in here

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyone find TFS in their laundry?

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyone else find Mavric awfully fucking weeaboo?

No, because that isn't a goddamn adjective.

Shorty on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    it's not really a word

normal rules don't apply

Oden on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oden wrote:
    it's not really a word

normal rules don't apply

Here's a rule for it:

STOP FUCKING USING IT.

I think that's simple enough of a rule.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i like 'animu fagmo' better than weeaboo

Knob on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh...lines...paint. I guess it looks nice.

It has redeeming value. That was a very awkward way to end after the last strip if this really is the last one for this round of CTS.

MKR on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like it.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm trying awfully hard to find some meaning in this one.

Not succeeding.

They could have made it one panel saying "insert your own story here".

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Strato wrote:

Not succeeding.

I'm trying to figure out whether he killed them or peacefully diffused the situation.

Is there no way to infer the conclusion, or am I missing something?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    MKR wrote:
    Strato wrote:

Not succeeding.

I'm trying to figure out whether he killed them or peacefully diffused the situation.

Is there no way to infer the conclusion, or am I missing something?

There's no blood. The woman is still alive but we don't know other reactions.

However, we do see the hawk carrying its prey off along with a silhouette of CTS looking downward. That's the best clue we get.

But didn't everyone already guess that he would win?

Actually it seems like it would have been more fitting if the bunny had owned the hawk. :o

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    lrn 2 subtext

Knob on
  • Options
    Lt. Eggman5Lt. Eggman5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Now I see. Now I see.

Lt. Eggman5 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Now I see. Now I see.

Do please share?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thumbs up. Damn fine coloring and shading in this one. Although, I did see a protruding line in the panel where CTS is putting on his hat; it's sticking out of his hand and it looks a little incongruous.

Otherwise, I thnk it's top notch.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I liked it.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Art-wise it's beautiful. The hawk is especially well-drawn.
    Problem is that the metaphorical story-telling method falls a bit short for pretty much everyone. Okay, so maybe he killed them, but then why does he still look so unconcerned? Also, by the stance the woman in the house is portraying she's sad to see him go. I would guess they never did get to the boning otherwise she'd be a little more peppy.

So here's my take: The guys attacked, then he dispatched them cleanly and the woman who had been somewhat hostage to the violent men wanted to repay him via carnal favors. He turned her down and was saddened by the fact that he had to kill two men he didn't know when all he wanted was some tea and a warm place to stay.

You see there is no rest for the Cardboard Tube Samurai and it's sad because all he wants is peace.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Problem is that the metaphorical story-telling method falls a bit short for pretty much everyone. Okay, so maybe he killed them, but then why does he still look so unconcerned? Also, by the stance the woman in the house is portraying she's sad to see him go. I would guess they never did get to the boning otherwise she'd be a little more peppy.

So here's my take: The guys attacked, then he dispatched them cleanly and the woman who had been somewhat hostage to the violent men wanted to repay him via carnal favors. He turned her down and was saddened by the fact that he had to kill two men he didn't know when all he wanted was some tea and a warm place to stay.

You see there is no rest for the Cardboard Tube Samurai and it's sad because all he wants is peace.

And this is all because of a pig right?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Strato wrote:

And this is all because of a pig right?
    CTS would lay his life down for a pig. Tonkatsu is his loyal friend to the end. Tonkatsu is also the name of a delicious, crispy-fried pork cutlet. Coincidence?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy shit, this story was fucking awesome!

The art isn't as good as I'd like, sadly. The backgrounds are beautiful but I felt that the character designs were too PA standard (especially with the bright, clean lines). I've really enjoyed the deviations that Gabe takes with the CTS art (Especially the one with the lady on the bridge, I loved that shit).

Overall, I'm really glad that they did this story. It was really well done and the pacing, however "slow", was very in tune with the atmosphere.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think there's a comic missing or something.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What I want to see is CTS vs. the Ask a Ninja guy. Fruit fucker could be the ref.

It could work

[spoiler:17e30440c6]The loser gets juiced[/spoiler:17e30440c6]

MKR on
  • Options
    MadJackMadJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    that was deep. the rabit and the hawk was great symbolism. Good job guys. A++

MadJack on
    forumsig.jpg
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MadJack wrote:
    that was deep. the rabit and the hawk was great symbolism. Good job guys. A++
    oh yeah man it was like totally deep like hooly shiiiiiiiiiiit

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Okay, this comic was beautiful, but it just flat doesn't work. It was as if Gabe was trying to be deep and meaningful, but couldn't think of anything actually deep and meaningful to put in there.

The whole hawk and the hare thing. To be effective, the hawk and the hare has to be a metaphor, or at least a parallel to the action (to show the action inside that we don't see). Let's examine:

Is CTS the hare? Well no, the hare is presumably devoured, and CTS comes out of it just fine. Maybe if the hare wriggled free or managed to bite the hawk in the leg, it would have parallelled the action.

Is CTS the hawk? No, the hawk swoops in with violence and fury, while CTS is mostly peaceful and (presumably) only fights back when provoked.

Which means the bird and bunny are a goddamn non sequitur that has absolutely nothing to do with the (lack of) action.

Really, I can appreciate deeper, beautiful subtexts, and the storyline was doing fine before this point. But the resolution is just masturbation. It could have struck a deep emotional chord, but it's just pointless and contradictory.

It's still very pretty, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    lern 2 subtext nub

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Knob wrote:
    lern 2 subtext nub

Well played. :^:

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Okay, this comic was beautiful, but it just flat doesn't work. It was as if Gabe was trying to be deep and meaningful, but couldn't think of anything actually deep and meaningful to put in there.

The whole hawk and the hare thing. To be effective, the hawk and the hare has to be a metaphor, or at least a parallel to the action (to show the action inside that we don't see). Let's examine:

Is CTS the hare? Well no, the hare is presumably devoured, and CTS comes out of it just fine. Maybe if the hare wriggled free or managed to bite the hawk in the leg, it would have parallelled the action.

Is CTS the hawk? No, the hawk swoops in with violence and fury, while CTS is mostly peaceful and (presumably) only fights back when provoked.

Which means the bird and bunny are a goddamn non sequitur that has absolutely nothing to do with the (lack of) action.

Really, I can appreciate deeper, beautiful subtexts, and the storyline was doing fine before this point. But the resolution is just masturbation. It could have struck a deep emotional chord, but it's just pointless and contradictory.

It's still very pretty, though.

Thank you.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Maybe they attacked CTS and then he became like the hawk. A predator with superior ability who can devour his enemies in a moment without hesitation or difficulty.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Maybe they attacked CTS and then he became like the hawk. A predator with superior ability who can devour his enemies in a moment without hesitation or difficulty.

But that would imply that the thugs are like the innocent, harmless bunny... kind of a disconnect going on there.

And yes, the ctrlaltdel comic is a veritable cornucopia of subtlety and layered beauty. :roll:

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The only way for symbolism to work is if it is on a one-for-one basis and the symbols are easily read.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
This discussion has been closed.