As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well of course that's the objective. There isn't a single MMO on that list without a hellish grind. You can't really count it against the game if said grind exists. Trickster just happened to have done it better.

zanmatto on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Perfect World disagrees.

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tried the game twice and got bored both times, even though I had friends playing. I don't get how people can like this game, but different strokes for different folks. Or like my daddy uses to say: Everyone has the right to have a lousy taste. :P

Aldo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I found Trickster Online to be incredibly dull. What RO has that TO doesn't is diversity of leveling spots. With TO you only get a handful of maps. RO has a plenty of places to go if you get bored.

MKR on
    edited May 2008
    RO was also boring as hell.

Just putting that out there. <_<>_>

Aldo on
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looking at the list today, I was surprised it didn't have Bang! Howdy. It's a Wild West-themed real-time tactics game from Three Rings (the Puzzle Pirates people). I played a bit in the open beta a couple years ago and enjoyed it; I might see about getting back into it.

Mith on
    edited May 2008
    Mith wrote: »
    Looking at the list today, I was surprised it didn't have Bang! Howdy. It's a Wild West-themed real-time tactics game from Three Rings (the Puzzle Pirates people). I played a bit in the open beta a couple years ago and enjoyed it; I might see about getting back into it.
    I have added it, but does it fulfill the Massive requirement? You'll notice I also haven't listed Weewar because it is just an online multiplayer game and there is nothing persistent about what you do.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    That's a fair point, but the list already has (just off the top of my head) Rakion and Exteel, which are the same sort of small-group-only multiplayer.

Mith on
    edited May 2008
    That's a fair point, but the list already has (just off the top of my head) Rakion and Exteel, which are the same sort of small-group-only multiplayer.
    I thought the robot in Exteel could gain exp/items? Making it kind of persistent?

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    In B!H as far as I remember, there're badges you earn for certain accomplishments and gear (some decorative, some functional such as unlocking new units) you can buy. Not experience per se, but persistent.

Mith on
    edited May 2008
    In B!H as far as I remember, there're badges you earn for certain accomplishments and gear (some decorative, some functional such as unlocking new units) you can buy. Not experience per se, but persistent.
    Eh, it's a fun enough game to remain on the list anyway. :3

Aldo on
  • KetsumKetsum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aeronauts gives better rewards for winning vs some easy AI then if you come 2nd vs better players... it's crazy... you either have to be a crackshot / dogfighting god or grind stupid AI to get anywhere... yet I can't seem to stop trying to play this game.... I want freelancer back and I want it in a HUGE open MMO format like it should have been from the begining.
    /rant off

Ketsum

Ketsum on
  • WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Attention everyone!
    Neosteam is a FREE MMORPG from Games Workshop. It is full featured, and the manga-style 3-D graphics are pretty good. It is very, very fun-Closed Beta just finished and Open Beta is scheduled for May 20. This game is Very, Very good, with races including cat people, wolf people, humans, humans with great tans, dwarf-gnomes called Poms, elves (female only. how do they reproduce?!?!?!?!) and-rumor has it-bear people will be released along the line. There's also humans, but I mean, HUGE WOLF PEOPLE>Humans + Cat People.
    The class system has three starting class, but you can change into one of two different classes. Each faction has comletely differend progression and abilities. All races are all factions-you just choose which faction you belong to . For example, humans on one faction fight humans on another faction. Got it? The only exception is the animal people-wolf people are for technology, cat people are for "mystery" and rumor has it that bear people are for the yet-to-be released nature faction.
    This game is so good after the closed beta ended I went onto WOW, tried to play, and found that compared to Neosteam it was a piece of crap-just like the tron multiplayer demo from 2003-or was it 2002?
    (last note: just like maple story, this game will make money through an "item shop." Use the money you save from paying for an MMO and buy yourself some items.)

WarWolf95 on
    edited May 2008
    Ja ja ja, that was the fastest closed beta in history. I don't expect this game to have improved since CB, it's kinda fun to walk around for a while and look at the nice art, but dayum you have to be a Korean and/or loon to appreciate this game for an extended period of time.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, the game turned Generic Korean Grind really fast. Also, click-to-move with zero pathing or the ability to hold down LMB and walk continuously = ass. Plus, would it kill them to have the quest list NPC also tell you where the heck the NPCs are?
    "This person has a quest for you! Now, mouse over every little tiny dot on the map to find them. Except you might not find them because they don't appear on the map unless you're pretty close to start with."
    And while I'm ranting, the Engrish is almost completely unintelligible- trying to figure out crafting and everything else explained by NPCs felt like ramming your head against the wall.

Nice art style though.

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Well I guess they can easily fix the Engrish once they hire someone with enough knowledge about both languages. :P

The lack of pathfinding blew my mind, though.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Has any Korean MMO improved on the Translation between the beta phase and the final product? Any singel one?

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Is Trickster Online Korean? If so: oh yes, they've improved a lot. Just as Lunia, although they were already decent during beta.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Oh, Trickster is actually decently translated now? That's a surprise.

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh, Trickster is actually decently translated now? That's a surprise.
    It went from "you 20 soap beach for lovely handles love ~~~~~" to "Bring me 20 soap from the beach so I can make my love handles shine~"

Or at least, from the very limited of time I wasted on Trickster it seemed a lot better than I remembered. Which is to say: still not fun.

Aldo on
  • WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ja ja ja, that was the fastest closed beta in history. I don't expect this game to have improved since CB, it's kinda fun to walk around for a while and look at the nice art, but dayum you have to be a Korean and/or loon to appreciate this game for an extended period of time.

Captain Loony of the Loony Squad at your service. :lol:

WarWolf95 on
    edited May 2008
    WarWolf95 wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Captain Loony of the Loony Squad at your service. :lol:

Eh, if you enjoy the game then more power to you. :P

Aldo on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    pretty impressed with trickster online, it's pretty grindy as expected, but pretty fun. Also the leveling goes by fast, my rabbit got to 40 in a very short time, should be able to upgrade her class pretty soon

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    What, seriously? 40? It took me hours to grind to 10 before I wanted to shoot myself in the head. Non-stop royale partying?

Glal on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    What, seriously? 40? It took me hours to grind to 10 before I wanted to shoot myself in the head. Non-stop royale partying?

nope all solo, did in over 2 days of playing some hours. I just tore through the areas with quest dropping mobs and would go turn in a whole shitload of quests at once (for example the hula octopus around lvl 25ish, can fufill 3 different quests, so kill a ton and grab the drops)

it didn't hurt that I'm playing a bunny, my Fox conversely took much, much longer to lvl to about 43 where I've left her for now

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude, they improved the translation? That freakin sucks! One of the funniest parts of the game was the shoddy at best translations

*This spell increased +% to dodge for the record*

Increase the waist flexibility to max for the creation of the dodge.

LEVEL 1: +12% DODGE

LEVEL 2: +16% DODGE

Good times.

zanmatto on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I remember when ROSE online first came out for open beta, and the first skill you had was called "Shit", and it had a chair icon. Yeah yeah, so it was actually sit, but still...how do you make an error like that? HOW?!

Asamof the Horrible on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I remember when ROSE online first came out for open beta, and the first skill you had was called "Shit", and it had a chair icon. Yeah yeah, so it was actually sit, but still...how do you make an error like that? HOW?!

Sit = Shit

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.playrequiem.com/

Requiem: Bloodymare just went open beta and looks like a decent Lineage 2 clone. At least it has good graphics from what I can see. And WSAD controls.

Xanathus on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Been playing Cabal Online for a few weeks now. Honestly pretty decent as far as these games go. The gear you need to collect, as well as the combo and skill system that is independent of exp. makes the repetitiveness of questing and leveling worthwhile. I'm mid 30s now, beginning to get to the point where you can do solo dungeons for good gear. I've played a fuckton of free MMOs in my day and I can say it's one of the best. (Priston Tale being my personal favorite, back before it was P2P)

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Xanathus wrote: »

Requiem: Bloodymare just went open beta and looks like a decent Lineage 2 clone. At least it has good graphics from what I can see. And WSAD controls.

*hope this game is decent

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008

Is it open beta now or tomorrow? It says the 15th. Looks half-decent, may give it a download if I can play it tonight.

UnknownSaint on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man, I love dark fantasy. I'm guessing the game is pretty standard fare, but I'll probably check it out just for the pretties

Asamof the Horrible on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Is it open beta now or tomorrow? It says the 15th. Looks half-decent, may give it a download if I can play it tonight.

I played closed beta... it's strange. High amounts of lag at really bad times(like when nightmare time comes around and everyone is trying to fight the large mobs that show up) but seemed pretty interesting and it's the first MMO that I know of to use ragdoll and gibs. I wish I had played more but I just couldn't deal with the lag. Hopefully it is fixed by now. May have to try it again.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
    edited May 2008
    As far as Reqiuem goes...

Downloaded, installed, had some issues patching. Went on their forums and found out it's a widespread clusterfuck of a problem, people not being able to patch correctly. There were like six different solutions, half of which I tried that did not work. Annoying.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Requiem didn't charm a lot of people during closed beta, the gore was pretty laughable as well. :P

Aldo on
    edited May 2008

Downloaded, installed, had some issues patching. Went on their forums and found out it's a widespread clusterfuck of a problem, people not being able to patch correctly. There were like six different solutions, half of which I tried that did not work. Annoying.

Reminds me of RO in the early days...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    So after playing Aeronauts for a while I discovered two things being horribly wrong with this:

1) You need to grind maps to level up opening up more maps to grind more on.
    2) You can't do your own tricks, if you want to do a barrel roll you have to select the skill and the plane pulls it off. This makes the game extremely boring.

The game would also have been more exciting if they had implemented damage for crashing your plane into objects and quicker controls, it takes ages for your first plane to make a turn.

Aldo on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

If you need help patching I can help you out with that..

I am currently playing right now. I have a level 12 Soul Hunter and a lvl 10 rogue..

The only thing I have to gripe about this game is you cant transfer items to each other and instead you need to purchase out of the item mall a shared bank.

Also sometimes Nightmare Mode is pretty lame.

Also they havent fixed the lag at all

omega71 on
    edited May 2008
    Nah, I deleted it. After doing a bit more research and hearing all the lag issues, I decided I'm happy with Cabal for now. I'm amazed it's still holding my interest, but it's not half-bad.

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.