As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did anyone see those cosplay chicks?

SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
We need more hotties in costumes at the next pax.

"Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
-Helem Boesch-
SuperFlyTNT on

• mojomonkeemojomonkee Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    no but one of the companies had two "sooper hawt aZn chix" handing out promos or something. i don't remember what they were giving me or who they worked for. i think the point was moot.

mojomonkee on
    Q: Mac or PC?

A: Um, we like to play games.
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I saw the asian cuties too! I was going to take their picture but decided against it. I'm just wishing that I could of gotten a picture of me with the fragdolls but they were all coming back with food when I managed to speak with them. Next time, right?

I also saw Sophitia, whomever that was, thank you very much for coming in costume, dear! It made us feel so much better and I loved the sword & shield. Props are hell to walk around in! The shoes also looked awesome! I was always trying to figure out how I would make those.

Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions as to what to cosplay as next year that would be recognizable. I was surprised that there were some people who didn't know Kasumi, but I'm glad that people asked me at least. Next time I'll bring pictures of who I'm cosplay as I think. Too bad no one seems to play Parasite Eve, as our Aya Brea kind of blended into the backdrop.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I have only heard mention of these "Frag Dolls". Who were they and why do people keep talking about them?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    hawt asain chix = Probably the ones lanwerx had giving away the 1/2 off membership coupons.

Frag dolls = Some girls that were paid to play rainbow six 3 a hell of a lot to be the best at it in the whole event.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    BigRed wrote:
    hawt asain chix = Probably the ones lanwerx had giving away the 1/2 off membership coupons.

Frag dolls = Some girls that were paid to play rainbow six 3 a hell of a lot to be the best at it in the whole event.

The first part is correct, but the second part is an understatement. A friend played against them and later talked to them. He said that during the time before the R6 tourney, the Frag dolls were just toying with everyone and not playing their best and that most of them were fulltime staff at Ubisoft and not boothbabes. And they were hot too. And whenever this one Fragdoll capped him, she'd stand up, point at him, and wink.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I saw the asian cuties too! I was going to take their picture but decided against it. I'm just wishing that I could of gotten a picture of me with the fragdolls but they were all coming back with food when I managed to speak with them. Next time, right?

I also saw Sophitia, whomever that was, thank you very much for coming in costume, dear! It made us feel so much better and I loved the sword & shield. Props are hell to walk around in! The shoes also looked awesome! I was always trying to figure out how I would make those.

Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions as to what to cosplay as next year that would be recognizable. I was surprised that there were some people who didn't know Kasumi, but I'm glad that people asked me at least. Next time I'll bring pictures of who I'm cosplay as I think. Too bad no one seems to play Parasite Eve, as our Aya Brea kind of blended into the backdrop.

Who were you? Link me.

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
    edited August 2004
    Who were you? Link me.

You can see me here with some of the guys from red vs. blue. I have other pictures in that folder too of friends and people I ran across.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Who were you? Link me.

You can see me here with some of the guys from red vs. blue. I have other pictures in that folder too of friends and people I ran across.

OK I saw you there. Nice costume by the way, I thought you were someone else though as I never play DOA3.

SuperFlyTNT on
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Who were you? Link me.

OK I saw you there. Nice costume by the way, I thought you were someone else though as I never play DOA3.

*walks over to SuperFly with a baseball bat*

*WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK*

*walks away, leaving SuperFly in a beaten, bloody mess on the floor*

Anyone who hasn't played DOA3 is an idiot.

*walks out of the Thread*

Kato_Arabel on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I don't understand cosplay. not at all.

I apreciate it sometimes. but for every time I apreciate it I have to feel disdain at least 3x in return.

futility on
    edited August 2004
    Anyone who hasn't played DOA3 is an idiot.

*walks out of the Thread*

Haha, well that's kind of funny seeing as the only reason why I played DoA3 was because I decided to make a costume out of it. Otherwise I had never played the game and decided to dress up as Kasumi due to the popularity and recognition of some of the main chars (Ayane, Helena, Kasumi, and LeiFeng for instance).

On any given day though? SC2 all the way :P I just didn't have the time to make a costume from that. Maybe next year, hmm..
    futility wrote:

That's alright :) Each to their own ways. As it is, I found it to be a lot of fun, it was very easy for my friends to find me since I was in white of all things, and it was a great ice-breaker for conversation. I really liked the design for Kasumi and thought it would be fun to try. This was my first cosplay ever and I must say, the compliments I received means that you'll see me next year in costume again :D

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • seppuku FDseppuku FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The Geek wrote:
    I have only heard mention of these "Frag Dolls". Who were they and why do people keep talking about them?

well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer. we all play on different platforms and games, but right now our focus is on RS3 and RS3:BA. this was our first con and first tourney together (and i have to say, we kicked butt). i had tons of fun for my first gaming con (i had only been to comic-con before). oh, and check out our blog site - http://fragdolls.blogspot.com :P

seppuku FD on
    1-Get a frisbee from the store or friend.
    2-Clean the Frisbee
    3-Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream
    4-Get really super pissed
    5-Fold Frisbee hard
    6-Insert Frisbee into mouth hard
    7-Push hard until you can’t see it
    8-Wait
    9-Die
    edited August 2004
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer. we all play on different platforms and games, but right now our focus is on RS3 and RS3:BA. this was our first con and first tourney together (and i have to say, we kicked butt). i had tons of fun for my first gaming con (i had only been to comic-con before). oh, and check out our blog site - http://fragdolls.blogspot.com :P

so you're shills?

futility on
  • seppuku FDseppuku FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

so you're shills?

LOL. no, we're just girls gamers who happen to be good. <3

seppuku FD on
    1-Get a frisbee from the store or friend.
    2-Clean the Frisbee
    3-Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream
    4-Get really super pissed
    5-Fold Frisbee hard
    6-Insert Frisbee into mouth hard
    7-Push hard until you can’t see it
    8-Wait
    9-Die
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    seppuku FD wrote:
    futility wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

so you're shills?

Yes but you get paid to play in order to promote UBISoft's games. Shills. Nothing wrong with being a shill, it's not derogatory or anything. We employ lots of them in the Poker world.

BTW, did some of you tell Dario that you were going to party with us Saturday night at the Doubletree?

Ninto on
  • chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    You know, PAX was a bit of a culture shock for me. I geuss it's weird for me to come from a place where the stereo types i always heard about didn't exist. I'm not saying anything bad about the frag dolls at all, they were incredibly nice, pretty girls...but is it really that rare in the US to find girls who game? I mean, shit, all i had to do was ask around in class during highschool to figure out half the girls in my graduating class played CS, and about 75% of all of them had a soft spot for mario kart or mario 3. When i was there it just seemed like the frag dolls were like a sorority or something who played games on the side. XD Sorry if i offended, but that's just what i thought.

chef_socrates on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    it just seemed like the frag dolls were like a sorority or something who played games on the side. XD Sorry if i offended, but that's just what i thought.

"played games on the side" my ass. They kicked ass in the tournament.

Ninto on
  • chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    "played games on the side" my ass. They kicked ass in the tournament.[/quote]

Haha, yeah, you got me, i didn't really watch the rainbow six stuff, i've never really been interested in that game.

chef_socrates on
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    All these geeks and no digital cameras? comon guys post pics, for those of us lamers who couldnt make it.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:

I apreciate it sometimes. but for every time I apreciate it I have to feel disdain at least 3x in return.

hear hear

futility wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

so you're shills?

i love you

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Ninto wrote:
    BTW, did some of you tell Dario that you were going to party with us Saturday night at the Doubletree?

We did not get out of the tournament until 11:45, then dinner until 1am. We were beat after all that. How was the Doubletree party? Fun?

Unknown User on
  • SphyxSphyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    ...To be honest, I am of the opinion that general cosplaying doesn't have a place at PAX. I saw a few of them, and immediately wondered what they were doing. Were they here to just show off their outfits? I have no idea. From what I saw, they just... stood around.

I've been to I don't know how many conventions, many of them anime-related, and seen way too many costumes to be excited about seeing another Cloud, or Squall, or Lulu, or Rinoa, or ANYTHING Naruto related (thank you, Sakura Con 2004 :roll: ) et cetera. So, can any of you who didn't automatically think the same thing I did explain to me where cosplay's place is in a gaming convention, particularly one run by the creators of a web comic?

Sphyx on
    I was the blue-haired girl at PAX 2005.
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    umm
    i understand cosplay at gaming conventions as long as they are from games. a girls dressed as sophitia and talim for example.
    but stuff from anime or the like? i dont dig it.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
    edited August 2004
    seppuku FD wrote:
    futility wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

so you're shills?

were you there to sell a product or were you there as yourselves a group of girl gamers?

to be honest I'm really curious about your group. I think it's great that there's a group of girl gamers out there. But are you honestly for real? Are you a group of unicorns or are you painted horses with horns taped to your heads. I mean from what I heard, and I don't mean to sound misogyonistic or anything, all you guys really did was look good and play well.

futility on
    edited August 2004
    from what i saw they introduced some games.
    played in them and whooped everyones ass.

they just happen to be attractive and well endowed.

A+ to them.

i think they have a website or something...
    if they do i wanna read up on them, thats interesting stuff.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    What is wrong with looking good while playing a game well?

Unknown User on
    edited August 2004
    i dont know, i get a lot of criticism for it too.
    jk
    ..im just the messenger.

TheMountie on
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    We were definitely there as a team. If we were there just to sell games, there would have been no need for us to actually play them. Plus there would have been no need for us to absolutely beg to play Halo 2 like we did. :) We won that too, so it's not like we've only ever played RS3.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
    edited August 2004
    izanobu1 wrote:
    What is wrong with looking good while playing a game well?

absolutely nothing. unless you look good and can play a game becuase you're there to sell it to me.

futility on
    edited August 2004
    for the record, the fragdolls didnt make me want to guy out and buy the games they played.

they made me want to go pick up chicks that play games.

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    Mountie, we do have a site... sort of. it's actually just a blog right now, but whatever. http://fragdolls.blogspot.com ... fearless leader also put a picture of us up, so if anyone's curious, Jinx is the stoned looking blonde crouched down on the track (it's a RS3 habit! <g> )

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited August 2004
    cute stuff.

you girls coming next year?

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    You couldn't keep us away if you were armed and dangerous. :)

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey Nightingale, I was glad you dressed up, you looked sexy and it was easy for me to identify you immediatly. I just wish we could have had more time to talk but we worked our butts off.

Thanks to the supproters out there and for the nonblievers, did you realize we won the tourny of 32 teams without a team winning a single ROUND! This isnt all for fun, it is a lifestyle like all true gamers! An of COURSE we will be there next year!

We all have a very varied and hardcore gameing background, from me leading a clan of 70 girls on xbox live that CONSITANTLY make it to the playoffs on the largest xbox ladder site (consists of over 2000 teams although I would only say 300 are very active), to another that is a gaming journalist, another that is in development, etc...... We were there to win and if our intention is anything it is to attract more FEMALES to the the market.

And speaking of winning at Halo 2 here are is the link to the article at bungie as well as some pics http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=paxvisit&p=613510

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    You couldn't keep us away if you were armed and dangerous. :)

ahh, since i live nearby i want to set up a REALLY BIG party bandwagon, this year i understand there was a few people that were doing that? 20+ something? correct me if im wrong, i dig meeting fellow gamers.

ive got a year to plan, so..ill probably post the idea again in like 10 months lol.

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    ...To be honest, I am of the opinion that general cosplaying doesn't have a place at PAX. I saw a few of them, and immediately wondered what they were doing. Were they here to just show off their outfits? I have no idea. From what I saw, they just... stood around.

I've been to I don't know how many conventions, many of them anime-related, and seen way too many costumes to be excited about seeing another Cloud, or Squall, or Lulu, or Rinoa, or ANYTHING Naruto related (thank you, Sakura Con 2004 :roll: ) et cetera. So, can any of you who didn't automatically think the same thing I did explain to me where cosplay's place is in a gaming convention, particularly one run by the creators of a web comic?

Well if you saw us, a lot of it was regrouping with a large group that did not want to get lost for it was half of our's first time at a convention and we had some minors with us. My parents would be pissed if I came home without my little brother. On the other hand, I was there largely to people watch so that did require some standing around XD I had never cosplayed before and this seemed like a great excuse to do just that. Even without an event it was totally fun, and I had a wonderful time. I felt better in costume and it was very easy for my group to find me.

I think cosplay has it's place if you simply want to. We picked game characters, or at least I did. I certainly wasn't going to go from an anime and I totally agree on the too many sightings of final fantasy characters/chobits/etc. Nor was I going to walk around in a kimono, for instance. Those wear me out completely. I don't believe we hurt anyone by being there in costume and it made the experience more enjoyable for us.

If you think about it, not everyone there wore shirts strictly for Penny Arcade, despite it being run by two guys who operate a web comic. I saw other web comic t-shirts as well, in addition to several game-related and geek-related shirts. I fail to see how wearing game-related wear makes it anymore different.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • DrasiirDrasiir Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I think that the real problem with the frag dolls stems from not who they are, but how they go about it.

A girl who plays videogames does not need to constantly remind us that she is, in fact, a girl. A lot of the show that they put on does the opposite of what it is intended to do. They want to show us that girls can play videogames too. But we've known this...and many of us have always wanted to find a girl who could whip our ass at a game. Girls have never been excluded from playing videogames. They have always been encouraged. With that in mind, I don't quite see the point of the frag dolls.

One particular example comes to mind. The "powdering nose between rounds". This goes completely against what the frag dolls are trying to be. No, I'm not saying a girl can't look good, but you can't tell me that there was a good reason for that.

It all comes down to image. The frag dolls look out of place simply because they choose to beat you over the head with their sex. We know you're a girl. You don't need to give birth while playing quake to prove it.

Drasiir on
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    Hey Nightingale, I was glad you dressed up, you looked sexy and it was easy for me to identify you immediatly. I just wish we could have had more time to talk but we worked our butts off.

Thanks Valkyrie! It was actually very helpful to be dressed so flashy as a lot of people were able to recognize me right off. You girls did awesome and I didn't want to take up too much of your time - looked as if you gals could use the break and get something to eat :) I'd like to say that I'm inspired to play more games now at least, I always enjoyed watching but it's only been this past summer where I've really began playing them and beating up my friends at sc2.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Drasiir wrote:
    I think that the real problem with the frag dolls stems from not who they are, but how they go about it.

A girl who plays videogames does not need to constantly remind us that she is, in fact, a girl. A lot of the show that they put on does the opposite of what it is intended to do. They want to show us that girls can play videogames too. But we've known this...and many of us have always wanted to find a girl who could whip our ass at a game. Girls have never been excluded from playing videogames. They have always been encouraged. With that in mind, I don't quite see the point of the frag dolls.

One particular example comes to mind. The "powdering nose between rounds". This goes completely against what the frag dolls are trying to be. No, I'm not saying a girl can't look good, but you can't tell me that there was a good reason for that.

It all comes down to image. The frag dolls look out of place simply because they choose to beat you over the head with their sex. We know you're a girl. You don't need to give birth while playing quake to prove it.

that's exactly what i think, but i'm too lazy/stupid to type something like that out

in conclusion, HIGH FIVE

high%20five.jpg

PS: though while i agree with you, that last comment there was a little...harsh

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I saw them, and they were hot AND had great costumes. But I got to see some random chicks boobs getting signed after the minibosses show. Of course, the part in me that's not a total creep refused to take a picture. Sorry for those of you that were about to PM me for one. They were nice boobs, too, just in case you're reading this, miss minibosses-signed-yer-boobs

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST