As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    giant robot dragon

there I just solved the problem

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was being faceitous, I dont have any problems with Fin Fang Foom in a movie as long as it dosen't suck

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fin Fang Foom isn't actually the Midgard Serpent: rather, the Midgard Serpet once pretended to be Fin Fang Foom.

I wasn't actually aware of that story, just spitballing on a semi-feasible way the whole story could be pulled together. I actually sort of thought you were bullshitting me before I hit up wikipedia.

Oh, comics.

Munch on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Fin Fang Foom isn't actually the Midgard Serpent: rather, the Midgard Serpet once pretended to be Fin Fang Foom.

I wasn't actually aware of that story, just spitballing on a semi-feasible way the whole story could be pulled together. I actually sort of thought you were bullshitting me before I hit up wikipedia.

Oh, comics.

Well that's just funny, given that I had no idea of that connection until reading it on Wikipedia a short while ago.

I think Foom works as the secondary bad guy in the 2nd movie, w/ Mandarin controlling him somehow. I just don't want to see some sort of "Oh know, I lost control of the monster, I'll help defeat our common foe, Iron Man!" crap from the Mandarin. I want Foom leveling a city before being destroyed (?).

mattharvest on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Eh... I'm tempted to say that FFF could never work, but that's pessimistic bullshit, as I'm actually confident in the creative team behind the project. That's right lads, approval from a random fella on the internet! You can do it!

Alien tech could work if it was something that was touched upon but never really faced. If the Mandarin's rings, and FFF himself (who, as someone mentioned, would be a biological WMD) were derived from high-technology artefacts of unknown origin, I could definitely get behind that. People would be welcome to think they're alien, but they could just as easily be dodgy prototypes from a Chinese conglomerate or something.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sorry to change the subject slightly, but this movie has gotten me slightly interested in Iron Man again. One of my former roommates from about 2 years ago was a huge Iron Man fan, and I read pretty much all of his issues that he had, so I know a bit, but I'm looking for some really good stories, in trade form.

Can anyone suggest any great, A+ Iron Man TPBs or stories? Also, I've been reading Jeph Loeb's Ultimates 3, which thus far has not featured much of Iron Man. Do the first two Ultimates have a bit more of him? I haven't read those.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2008
    Ultimates 1 and 2 has a lot of Iron Man (he's probably one of my favorite characters in them, actually). You also should check out Extremis, maybe Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars.

DJ Eebs on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just have the Mandarin genetically engineer a giant dragon. He could name it Fin Fang Foom after a legend, or some shit. He doesn't even have to talk or anything, just be the Mandarin's 'ultimate weapon.'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Voiced by Sean Connery!

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nextwave movie? maybe a cameo?

Fencingsax on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ultimates 1 and 2 has a lot of Iron Man (he's probably one of my favorite characters in them, actually). You also should check out Extremis, maybe Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars.

I enjoyed Hypervelocity, but I haven't read many Iron Man specific comics/trades, so I'm not sure whether it's counted among the better or worse of them. I liked Extremis, and only glanced through Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars during lunch one day.

Ultimate Iron Man trade #1 was good, so I should probably check out when the second one is due out, if it isn't out already.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Situation: Terrorist mastermind Mandarin steals hulk creating Gamma technology and screw about with lizards.
    Result: Vaguely plausible explanation for Fing Fang Foom appearing in an Iron Man movie and helps to connect the Hulk and Iron Man movie franchises together.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

the only possible way I can see this happening is a direct to dvd kind of thing

I mean come on, this didn't sell enough to avoid cancellation in a market where 100,000 copies sold is a good number

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    Everyone interested in Iron Man because of the movie should pick up Invincible Iron Man #1 this week by Matt Fraction

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Oooh. I like Matt Fraction. He's done good things with Punisher War Journal. I've been collecting that since issue 1.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

the only possible way I can see this happening is a direct to dvd kind of thing

I mean come on, this didn't sell enough to avoid cancellation in a market where 100,000 copies sold is a good number

You can pretend that they fight Fing Fang Foom first, but are dispatched humiliatingly and ruthlessly off-camera moments later.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really don't get why people think FFF wouldn't work in a movie. Giant dragons is something Hollywood has been doing for years.

I keep getting this image of a huge ass dragon flying through the skies with Ironman spiraling up and around the dragon, chasing it down. I think it could be bad ass.

Not to mention the whole concept of magic Vs. machinery is a pretty simple idea for the average movie viewer to wrap their head around.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited May 2008
    It'd be funny to see Tony refusing to believe in magic throughout the entire film up until the end when a giant dragon in purple trunks is summoned.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It'd be funny to see Tony refusing to believe in magic throughout the entire film up until the end when a giant dragon in purple trunks is summoned.

"Don't be ridiculous Pepper, dragons don't exist."

(FFF flies past Stark Tower)

"I'm going to get another scotch."

Mr Pink on
    edited May 2008
    I think Bruce Willis would've made a great Nick Fury 10 years ago. They could make a Nick Fury buddy cop movie with white Nick Fury (Willis) and black Nick Fury (Jackson).

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2008
    Die Hard With a Vengeance

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    An action movie with Willis and Jackson? Brilliant!

Edit: Damnit, thats what I get for not reloading a page before I post. Curse you Bale! CURSE YOU.

Mr Pink on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Sorry to change the subject slightly, but this movie has gotten me slightly interested in Iron Man again. One of my former roommates from about 2 years ago was a huge Iron Man fan, and I read pretty much all of his issues that he had, so I know a bit, but I'm looking for some really good stories, in trade form.

Can anyone suggest any great, A+ Iron Man TPBs or stories? Also, I've been reading Jeph Loeb's Ultimates 3, which thus far has not featured much of Iron Man. Do the first two Ultimates have a bit more of him? I haven't read those.

Extremis is good for catching you up to Tony's current powers and abilities, he's no longer just a smart guy with a fancy suit.

Hypervelocity is pretty good, the art really didn't sit with me though, story was fun(ish). I wouldn't say its a must buy though

The new Director of Shield stuff is awesome, but its more super-spy than super-hero. This is currently where Iron Man is in relation to the current Marvel Universe status-quo

The new Enter the Mandarin trade is out tomorrow and it was an awesome series.

You could also check out the Civil War trades, Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars if you want a few "older" stories (well not civil war but the other two). And of course as Bale said get the new series starting tomorrow it looks awesome, just check out my sig.

smokmnky on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Situation: Terrorist mastermind Mandarin steals hulk creating Gamma technology and screw about with lizards.
    Result: Vaguely plausible explanation for Fing Fang Foom appearing in an Iron Man movie and helps to connect the Hulk and Iron Man movie franchises together.

Yeah, thats pretty much the only way to do it that works for me. I think the whole move to make the Marvel Universe look on screen as much like our universe as possible makes the space-alien dragon story just seem forced. I know comic book fans will know that he's actually an old charecter and has been around Iron Man for years - but I can see the casual audience that is loving this movie saying that they shoehorned another villian for no reason into the movie - and it was a space alien monster to boot.

Showing Tony in Hulk connects the universe, and showing a giant lizard get hit with gamma radiation and mutate is slightly 'tech based' enough that it seems possible, because you've accepted that it happened to a man with the Hulk.

They've already changed the Ten Rings from ten actual rings to a terriorist group that goes by the name, so they're definatley keeping the comic book mythos as a basis and updating it. So I assume FFF would get the same treatment to an extent.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus. People will buy anything so long as it's coherent.

The status quo for Mandarin and FFF? Coherent (or as close as you'll get in comics). It's certainly more coherent that anything related to Star Wars, which as a franchise has made tons of money.

There is no reason to fuck with what the comic has done because people will buy it if it tells a good story. It's not a shock that most of the highest-grossing films and franchises are sci-fi/fantasy. What in the Hell is this crap about selling it to people? People will watch it. They already do when the story is good and the movie is produced well. This follows that formula, and my best advice would be not to diverge from it by treating the audience like a bunch of idiots.

Crimsondude on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Oh, comics.

I was actually going to spitball the same thing before I saw you do it, and I didn't know about the FFF-Midgard Serpent thing either.

My joy from the idea of FFF comes from the absurdity of the character. Putting FFF in a movie takes balls.

But now that I think about it, introducing Thor in a movie with a giant dragon who isn't the Midgard Serpent (or, you know, another Norsey creation)...I don't know if I see that happening.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think Bruce Willis would've made a great Nick Fury 10 years ago. They could make a Nick Fury buddy cop movie with white Nick Fury (Willis) and black Nick Fury (Jackson).

Tom Jane is Nick Fury.

Bloods End on
    edited May 2008
    Clint Eastwood would have been an awesome Nick Fury.

Right up there with Rock Hudson as Captain Marvel.

Robos A Go Go on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus. People will buy anything so long as it's coherent.

The status quo for Mandarin and FFF? Coherent (or as close as you'll get in comics). It's certainly more coherent that anything related to Star Wars, which as a franchise has made tons of money.

There is no reason to fuck with what the comic has done because people will buy it if it tells a good story. It's not a shock that most of the highest-grossing films and franchises are sci-fi/fantasy. What in the Hell is this crap about selling it to people? People will watch it. They already do when the story is good and the movie is produced well. This follows that formula, and my best advice would be not to diverge from it by treating the audience like a bunch of idiots.

Is Wikipedia's entry accurate? It says the status quo is that spaceshifting dragons came to Earth to conquer it, most of them besides FFF took human form and hung around for centuries. Then the Mandarin woke FFF up and tried to take over China until the space dragons decided to start their plan to take over the Earth.

That sounds terrible, unless "Godzilla movie" is what they're going after. Did it play out better in the comic than it does in the Wiki article?

Also, all the stuff set in Communist China seems like it would cause more trouble than this hypothetical shapeshifting space dragon movie would be worth.

Orogogus on
    edited May 2008
    I'm having trouble understanding how people can't grasp the fact that the general public isn't going to accept the sequel to Iron Man switching gears from Tony Stark fighting terrorists and corporate rivals to having to put the beat down on a gigantic chinese space dragon.

Soft-science giant lizard monster might be able to slip by under the suspension of disbelief radar, but throwing Fin Fang Foom using his comic book origin and you're going to totally shattered the disbelief of anybody who isn't already a fan of the Marvel universe and send Iron Man hurtling through the 'insanely cheesy and camp' barrier.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Is Wikipedia's entry accurate? It says the status quo is that spaceshifting dragons came to Earth to conquer it, most of them besides FFF took human form and hung around for centuries. Then the Mandarin woke FFF up and tried to take over China until the space dragons decided to start their plan to take over the Earth.

That sounds terrible, unless "Godzilla movie" is what they're going after. Did it play out better in the comic than it does in the Wiki article?

That's pretty much it. The first FFF story was written like fifty years ago. The name was thought up after Stan saw an advert for a japanese monster movie and wanted to write a similar story.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »

That's pretty much it. The first FFF story was written like fifty years ago. The name was thought up after Stan saw an advert for a japanese monster movie and wanted to write a similar story.

Whenever considering a Stan Lee creation, I always think of something he said in the History Channel special on the history of comics (which re-aired this weekend, due to Iron Man's release): he would often just invent things by making odd sounds - "Foom!" "Modro"! "Kang!", etc. - and then just start spit-balling about what the name referred to.

This isn't a critical comment about him, necessarily, but it shows how some of the more absurd ideas came about.

In defense of the concept: if you were a race of beings that routinely lived thousands of years, and could shape-shift between building-sized dragons and six-foot-tall humans, how much of a hurry would you be in to start your plan? Think about it this way, if I were planning to conquer an ant-hill, I probably would be operating on time-scales that would seem absurd to ants (since they live for such a small time).

This is not unlike the current plotline about the Reach's attempts to conquer Earth over in DC's Blue Beetle, by the way: sometimes, schedules seem long to humans, but not other species.

mattharvest on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Whenever considering a Stan Lee creation, I always think of something he said in the History Channel special on the history of comics (which re-aired this weekend, due to Iron Man's release): he would often just invent things by making odd sounds - "Foom!" "Modro"! "Kang!", etc. - and then just start spit-balling about what the name referred to.

This isn't a critical comment about him, necessarily, but it shows how some of the more absurd ideas came about.

In defense of the concept: if you were a race of beings that routinely lived thousands of years, and could shape-shift between building-sized dragons and six-foot-tall humans, how much of a hurry would you be in to start your plan? Think about it this way, if I were planning to conquer an ant-hill, I probably would be operating on time-scales that would seem absurd to ants (since they live for such a small time).

This is not unlike the current plotline about the Reach's attempts to conquer Earth over in DC's Blue Beetle, by the way: sometimes, schedules seem long to humans, but not other species.

Well, when I said it sounded terrible, I meant it sounded like it would make a terrible movie. Like, you'd have these giant shapeshifting alien dragons melding invisibly into human society, infiltrating unseen, and then hundreds of years later... they turn back into dragons and go all stompy until Iron Man, War Machine and the Mandarin blow them up? (Wikipedia isn't super clear here, but that's what it sounds like). How is this paced out in other people's heads?

For that matter, I can't even imagine anyone saying the name on the big screen with a straight face.

Fin...

FANG...

FOOM!!! OOM oom oom oom...

(Godzilla screech)

Orogogus on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I prefer the Nextwave reveal of FFF

"Daddy what is it?"
    "Looks like a Fin, and now a Fang..."
    FOOM
    *Tiny humans incinerated*

Psychotic One on
    edited May 2008
    For that matter, I can't even imagine anyone saying the name on the big screen with a straight face.

Imagine it being said in the voice of the sorcerer guy in Conan. You know, the one who said "This place is kept by powerful gods!" (its been a long time since i saw that movie"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Imagine it being said in the voice of the sorcerer guy in Conan. You know, the one who said "This place is kept by powerful gods!" (its been a long time since i saw that movie"

Mako was a god among men

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man I dunno about you guys but I'm thinkin' Skrulls would be a decent antagonist and/or plot device for IM2, The Avengers, or tying the two together.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited May 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Mako was a god among men

Damn you're right, now that Mako has passed away it should now be illegal for the Manadarin to appear in a movie.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man I dunno about you guys but I'm thinkin' Skrulls would be a decent antagonist and/or plot device for IM2, The Avengers, or tying the two together.

This.

The Chitauri storyline in the Ultimates works as a movie storyline because seriously, the damn thing was written that way. It also gives serious linkage into Captain America if they integrate that storyline into his origin movie.

devoir on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shit just do some modified version of Armor Wars.

Algertman on