As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Aftermath: Console Room

TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
Oh, my, god.

Got there at 9 am saturday to get ready for soul calibur 2 tournament.
First thing Zig says to me, Can you help run pools and make brackets for the tourny currently running.
Sure i said.
Which fucked me in the ass for the rest of the convention.
After the tourny, which i placed 3rd in :) someone jacked a halo case.
45 minutes later, someone jacked another case.
Apparently Halo cases without the CD in them are worth a lot???

I volunteered to help out Zig and Annie? forgot her name..for the rest of the night, till 8:30am the next day. Checking people in for tournies, running pools, keeping Zig from losing his sanity. Lots of fun, i plan on volunteering next year to help out, hopefully with a more prominent roll. Those Enforcer shirts are so tight...

After being up for 26 hours, i went home to sleep for 7 hours.
I came back to the convention to help out with more tournies. Which was a good thing cuz the other volunteer for the console room to help zig was going home, leaving me with Zig.

I organized the cases, moved boxes and shit, helped with more brackets and pools. Leaving me with the most stressful thing i have done in gaming.

Which was making pools, making brackets, recording EVERYTHING for mario double dash. That tournament, kicked my ass. Repeadetly, with a fucking shoe with spikes on it. Rusty ones.

The bungie people who did the Halo 2 demo, decided to disconnect the front row, 8 TVs, from the power, network, life. That fucked up the tourny for 45 minutes. Making us way behind schedule. The rest of the tourny went smoothly once we got shit going, sorry for the delay in games guys :P

Observations?

Holy shit people, stop stealing games, especially ones that are at the store for like 20 bucks. People stole games, empty cases, A WHOLE FUCKING PS2, controllers, wires, and...fuck probably a whole damn TV.

And thats just from the console room. Someone got into a fight today, no idea why, some dude punched him. Stop being fuckers.

I'd like to thank Zig for keeping his pills with him. And not killing someone, cuz i almost did. For organizing and being in charge of almost all the check in stuff. People need to clean up their hand writing :(

This convention was a lot of fun. Props to bald guy and gabe. Forgot your guy's real names :( never got to met you. Great stuff.

And the rest of the Pax staff, your boxes of bawls kept me up to help with the console room.

Whoever stole that stuff from the console room.
I hope i get a time machine, to go back in time to when your mother was pregnant with you. So i can punch her in the uterus and prevent your birth.

Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
TheMountie on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    No shit. People's collective IQ drops when you start adding more people. Great job to everyone for keeping sane when dealing with all the stupid little kids up to the 25+ year old children... Kudos to all who worked their asses off!!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    That guy deserves a medal or something. It got pretty rediculous near the end, i.e. the Mario Kart tourney.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    absolutely.
    MKDD was like..the most random tourny i think we had.
    but it was pretty cool.
    i didnt know that game was that fun. to watch or play.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    That guy deserves a medal or something.

aeolist on
  • Options
    Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Sorry to hear that the game room didn't recover well from the halo 2 demo, that demo was the highlight of the con for me.

Mr.Sci-Fi on
  • Options
    RickPowersRickPowers Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm absolutely disgusted that people would steal anything at an fan-focused event like this, which Mike, Jerry, and Robert put together for YOU GUYS (and gals). As someone who personally donated the use of my GameCube for the event, I bet that the thieves weren't aware that the hardware in question belonged to OTHER PEOPLE. I observed a couple of guys openly lusting after an Xbox debug and the Halo 2 burn inside it. As a result, I spent a lot longer "watching Halo 2" than I had planned just so that if these guys tried to make good on their plans, I could nail them.

People volunteered their time to help put this event together, and the fact that people would abuse that really disappoints me.

RickPowers on
    Rick Powers
    IT Director, Senior Editor
    Planet GameCube
    http://www.planetgamecube.com
  • Options
    Bat-Winged BoyBat-Winged Boy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, next year they'll just be smart enough to check your bag at the door and staff all the exits.

With the first PS2 theft, they kinda deserved it because I saw zero security. If it gets worse next year, they'll just up the prices. $1 per person means $2500 or so to reimburse people for thefts.

Bat-Winged Boy on
  • Options
    mojomonkeemojomonkee Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    security was kinda lax. granted, putting "enforcer" on the back of the shirts ups the security benefits to levels i can't even begin to discuss in the english language, you could pretty much walk into the event with no intent of paying and do what you pleased.

i didn't see anyone watching the BYOC room for theft (although that lies mostly with the end-user to make sure his shit doesn't get jacked). i was tempted to try and take something just to see how easy it was (no real intent, i don't even have a car). just to see if anyone was at least SUPPOSED to be waching the pc's.

mojomonkee on
    Q: Mac or PC?

A: Um, we like to play games.
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    i didn't see anyone watching the BYOC room for theft (although that lies mostly with the end-user to make sure his shit doesn't get jacked). i was tempted to try and take something just to see how easy it was (no real intent, i don't even have a car). just to see if anyone was at least SUPPOSED to be waching the pc's.

I got stopped and asked to check-out when taking my computer out of the BYOC room. But not when taking out my monitor and peripherals. So it might have been possible to... how do you kids say it? "Jack" something short of a system box, but it didn't happen. At least not to me.

Then again, it have been that the high schoolers I was letting play Counterstrike and BF1942 on my systems wound up sleeping under table beneath them. Nothing like having homeless de facto security guards.

Were you there for the great Bawls rush of Saturday night? I've seen people leave burning buildings at a slower pace.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I was there during the rush, I thought it was expected.

The funny part was they were giving away Bawls for free Sunday night and I grabbed as many as I could pack on the plane home but everyone was watching the final match of the Omegathon so I had to find people and tell them it was free because barely anyone was there or cared.

terrix on
  • Options
    stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    got stopped and asked to check-out when taking my computer out of the BYOC room. But not when taking out my monitor and peripherals. So it might have been possible to... how do you kids say it? "Jack" something short of a system box, but it didn't happen. At least not to me.

I was asked to check out my PC as well, even though it was 10:30n or 11:00 at night saturday. I had left my PC/peripherals unattended for hours on end during the con, and wasn't missing a thing, which i was pretty happy with.

I missed the bawls rush though :(. I left right after the announcement that said 'the bawls guys were supposed to be back at 10, we don't know why they aren't back yet or when they will be back, sorry".

I just couldn't last any longer w/o bawls. Especially since by that time i was wanting to play halo pc or COD, but everyone seemed to be playing CS or UT2k4 (or some far cry at like 8PM). I can only play so much ut2k4 before i want to play something else :). And steam kept bitching whenever i tried to use it in offline mode on my PC, ah well...

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I saw the rush, I was amused. At first I didn't know what was going on. There was some announcement on the loud speaker all I heard was "balls", I was just loafing on the first floor watching the security guys play Halo. One of the security guys didn't know what they'd said either. So out of curiousity I went up to check it out (even though a announcement for "balls" just creeped me out). Figured out quickly that it was just a free drink being offered, so I stood in line. Of course I wound up with sugar free, which is kind of nasty (I hate sugar substitutes).

Same night, someone managed to steal a banner. Though wasn't like the security folks didn't try and thwart it. I was out on the front steps having a smoke with a few of them. They got a call on the radio, and all ran back inside, joining up with more. They shut down the exits and elevators, then began searching the rooms. I was actually surprised they didn't catch the guy (or girl I guess).

I'm sorry to hear about the PS2 being stolen. Who did it belong to? Was it replaced?

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    they shut down the elevators and escalators for a banner? jesus christ.

mojomonkee on

• Options
    edited August 2004
    mojomonkee wrote:

It was like 2-3 am, wasn't that big a deal since not many people were up and moving around. The impact was pretty much nil (except for me, had to use the stairs to get back up to the lanwerx room, not that I was in a hurry since the tournaments were using up all the PC's).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Damn, I swear to god, I must have seen a majority of you guys... if only I could figure out who you were!

Damnit.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The only time I wasnt watching the PC room was during that banner incident somehow both guys working with me during that time went for the banner as well so there was only... 20min with nobody at the boyc room.room.
    Although im happy to announce that nothing was stolen from the PC room Although we had a few misplaced power cables that I beleive found their right owners (just got moved around the room cause they were loaned out or whatver) but those are a dime a dozen. If anyone needs one that lost one PM me and ill ship you one :P

I didnt ask for a checkout on people hauling out monitors cause I have a pretty good memory with stuff like this. I help run lan parties a lot (www.lanpartynw.com) and I remember who comes in with what pieces of hardware.
    The major thing was that people who are hardcore enough lan gamers to come to somthing like this ive found to be quite trustworty. I was just a tad worried about the random people wandering about in there which is why I was telling people to not leave stuff laying around thats easily pocketable (like anything not attached to the computer). Another lan gamer stealing someone eleses stuff is... unheard of.

But I was there at the desk the whole time (aside from the 3 hours I got for sleep sat night) I worked 60 hours in 3 days. Saturday I was roaming the inside of the byoc room to help people who needed it to get set up and for any problems. Sunday I was outside the room at the desk. Sunday night I was there the whole time because a bunch of the volunteers flaked out and didnt show up for their shift. Bastages.

I am happy to say though that the PC room had NO problems. I made sure everything was set up right and worked with the power guys to make sure that shit wouldnt go off. Network was up and non laggy thanks to my gigabit backbone switch I purchased just for this event. If I didnt get that I would have had to daisychain switches and right when someone started to transfer files the network would have been owned.

I just wish I had more time to organize stuff inside the room instead of watching the door but all of pax was slightly understaffed for the amount of people that came.
    Did the best I could with the available resources :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    mojomonkee wrote:
    Those banners are fucking expensive to get made.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    mojomonkee wrote:

First, the escalators were never shut down during the entire con. The escalators went down a total of about seven times due to people doing things like running the opposite way on the escalator which, I'm told by the Meydenbauer maintenance staff, can shut it down because the system assumes when it "feels" resistance that someone's limb is caught somewhere it shouldn't be and stops. The resistance in this case is, of course, the people landing hard because they're trying to take two or three steps at a time ... but the escalator doesn't know that.

Second, we didn't even bother trying to hold the elevator during the chase of the thieves (there were two separate incidents, one successful and one unsuccessful by two different people from what we can tell) because by the time we would have gotten the elevator to stop ... the thief would have already been off it.

Additionally, perhaps you haven't dealt with the printing industry at all but large format banners can cost hundreds of dollars. Also ... if you went to the trouble of putting on a con ... and had it be such a huge success ... wouldn't you want to keep maybe one thing from it ... like, I don't know ... maybe the super-huge banner of the art you drew specifically for the con?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    was this the banner on the far left (coming up the escalator) in a series of three? in any case, since the elevator/escalator shut-down event appears to have been a myth, the point is moot.

so what happened to the guy you guys caught the first time?

mojomonkee on

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    This convention was a lot of fun. Props to bald guy and gabe. Forgot your guy's real names :( never got to met you. Great stuff.

gg

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    kolekole Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    mojomonkee wrote:
    was this the banner on the far left (coming up the escalator) in a series of three? in any case, since the elevator/escalator shut-down event appears to have been a myth, the point is moot.

so what happened to the guy you guys caught the first time?

from the game Fable. check the box art and you'll see.

as for anyone stealing, that's just lame. hope you have fun playing CS with your aimbots and turning off you xbox as your about to loose cause your the type of ass everyone hates.

if i'm not mistaken, aren't there system locks for consoles that they might be able to use next year? sad that they would have to resort to that...

kole on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2004
    Boo!

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    that was me. i laughed the rest of the day. at her expense.

mojomonkee on

• Options
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    The friend I brought is still crushed she lost in the Mario Kart tournament. Whoever beat her at Baby Park, fuck you. I had to listen to her bitch the 4 hour trip home.

that wouldnt be andie would it :P

TheMountie on
  • Options
    chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I think my buddy said it best in the car when we were comming home. The console room would have been a lot better off if there was another room that was dedicated entirely to free play.

And yes, the theft was pretty low.

chef_socrates on
  • Options
    Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    for three 3000 people attendence + the need for more security the losses weren't that bad. Anyone who has ran an event like pax knows there are always some loss, the cost just needs to be figured in. It's a sad shame cons need to put up with the theifing jerks but that's what happens when you deal with the general public in a con that size.

If Three consoles are going to be on each tv for next time , I would suggest buying some of those cheap $10 or less footlockers. Each footlocker could have all three units in it and still be locked. The cabling could be ran through small holes cut or drilled through the footlocker. If a system had to have a disk swap or such a volunteer would bring the key up and do whatever needed to be done.

Mr.Sci-Fi on
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:
    The friend I brought is still crushed she lost in the Mario Kart tournament. Whoever beat her at Baby Park, fuck you. I had to listen to her bitch the 4 hour trip home.

Umm, I actually think that I was the guy who got first on that particular race.

Sorry, I guess.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    aeolist wrote:
    TheMountie wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

Sorry, I guess.
    She said it was one of the Super trip people. I'm not sure.

She was asian, and had a Mario and Luigi shirt on and her partner was an enforcer. Second round, apparently. Was it her?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    TheMountie wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

Sorry, I guess.

She was asian, and had a Mario and Luigi shirt on and her partner was an enforcer. Second round, apparently. Was it her?

It was the team I was going to be on, but I had the 40k in 40 minutes tourny. We for 2 and a half hours saturday night.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    It was the team I was going to be on, but I had the 40k in 40 minutes tourny. We for 2 and a half hours saturday night.

You were going to be on her team? She'd have shoved you in back seat and not let you do anything, you know? :lol:

I didn't really want to be at PAX Saturday night. I was feeling awful for some reason, so I spent most of my time in the Hotel room.

Sunday was great, though. Shame there was so many tournaments and not enough freeplay.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:

Haha, I was sitting beside her. I felt kind of bad cheering like that for winning 3rd. Oh well.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I watched a lot of tournies, only missed SSBM cuz...i knew Kae and cpt jack were too fucking good.

But the mario kart one was badass. i have never seen someone so happy for getting 4th in a race.

i was pretty hardcore for mario kart 64, but jesus tits, MKDD is insane.
    i almost want to buy a game cube and get into that game.

only problem i saw, was that...it looks like you need 2 people, always.
    and your game cube controller receives the worst handjob ever. literally.
    one of the joysticks ate shit, and broke during the tourny. Team Dysfunkshunal Controller was the unlucky team to get that pad... sorry guys.

Most definately the most dramatic tourny i saw. Good job to all the people who played. Its too bad Fragdolls didnt play, i wanted to comentary them.

TheMountie on
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    and your game cube controller receives the worst handjob ever.

Actually, you only need 1 person, but co-op is way more fun.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    awesome, ill check it out soon as nintendo sends me a hot asian girl.
    with a game cube.

a suggestion for next year and the cases...would be to paint the outside border of the case with a certain color that only the volunteers know. And they dont find out the color till the day before, when they have to paint them.

Say the color is like...Pink, everyone who brings their own games would be like ...which game is mine? oh not this one, its pink, definately not mine. I think we had a few people taking things they thought were theirs.

TheMountie on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Earen wrote:
    mojomonkee wrote:
    Second, we didn't even bother trying to hold the elevator during the chase of the thieves (there were two separate incidents, one successful and one unsuccessful by two different people from what we can tell) because by the time we would have gotten the elevator to stop ... the thief would have already been off it.

This clashes with what I saw saturday night/sunday morning (however you want to call it, it was sometime between 2 and 4 am I think). Several security folks were standing in the elevators holding the doors open for several minutes at least.

Were they just really indecisve about which floor they wanted or something?

As I recall though, the effort wasn't to catch him, but to keep him from leaving and isolate him to one floor.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    I watched a lot of tournies, only missed SSBM cuz...i knew Kae and cpt jack were too fucking good.

But the mario kart one was badass. i have never seen someone so happy for getting 4th in a race.

i was pretty hardcore for mario kart 64, but jesus tits, MKDD is insane.
    i almost want to buy a game cube and get into that game.

and your game cube controller receives the worst handjob ever. literally.
    one of the joysticks ate shit, and broke during the tourny. Team Dysfunkshunal Controller was the unlucky team to get that pad... sorry guys.

Most definately the most dramatic tourny i saw. Good job to all the people who played. Its too bad Fragdolls didnt play, i wanted to comentary them.

I would have loved to throw down some blue sparks in that tourney. It was too bad we were all completely thrashed from being at PAX for 14 1/2 hours the first day and we lost a couple of our girls to plane flights right on 5:00 on Sunday. It must have been something to see, though. Whoever won that tournament, I salute you.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The console room would have been a lot better off if there was another room that was dedicated entirely to free play.

Gimme about 10 more TV's + systems and it's a deal.

Otherwise, we need every station we can get for tournies.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    You remembered my name...Annie.
    I am sorry to hear things didn't go so well after the Halo2 people left. I really wish I could have stuck around for the entire thing, but frankly after dedicating 38 hours of my life to the console room and needing to drive back to Oregon... I was done :P

As for the security thing, yeah, things were a little unplanned and disorganized. For the whole thing if this all happens again I have a ton of ideas and I know Zig has a bunch too for how to get things running far more smoothly and safely.

But over all, my weekend rocked. Thanks to everyone, especially the guy who gave me the ticket to play Halo2.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Zig, did that first place team from MKDD actually take me up on the offer i made to them for first place?

Quote " The winner of this gets tickets, and a date with this sexy bald man here "

umm...have they called you? cuz i was serious...

ya annie, almost forgot lol, i dont say peoples names much unless i yell at them, or need them to throw something away, or i need bawls.

Bawls: ribbed for your pleasure.

TheMountie on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    The console room would have been a lot better off if there was another room that was dedicated entirely to free play.

Gimme about 10 more TV's + systems and it's a deal.

Otherwise, we need every station we can get for tournies.
    LESS TOURNIES.

Jeez.

I had more fun with the freeplay then I did with the tournies. In the end, we spent more time watching then we did playing.

Dareth Ram on
This discussion has been closed.