As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How was PAX?

Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
I really wanted to go but long story short, I couldn't. So what was it like? How were the parties?

gretzky_cup1984.jpg
Thug Life on

• Options
    TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    umm...a lot of it is discussed all over the forum.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Perhaps, but are any of them so organized? Every other one relates to a specific area, this is everything.

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    the hotel was a big ol' party, good times were had

friday night a couple of us went to the hotel bar and had a couple drinks, then back up to my room where i had the door slightly open and a sign taped on my door with the PAX logo. people just randomly walked in and chatted with us and stuff, and left. that cycle happened all night. i'd say about 40 people passed through my room. great time.

saturday night the dudes in 117 (Rudy and Dario YAYYYYY) had a big ol' fashioned party, complete with lots of booze. i had quite a bit to drink before actually showing up to the party, where i then proceeded to have 2 glasses of tequila/tequila mixer, and a shot of tequila. surprisingly, i remember what happened that night. and it was tons of fun. played some texas hold 'em for a while, and rudy and dario had a projector and a GCN/Xbox hooked up to it. i never bothered playing the games, i was too busy mingling and playing hold 'em, but it was still cool. sunday night we were all in 606 playing random games, like some card game called lunch money. i left after a little while because there were just too many people and it was getting clogged, and i had to be up at 7am to catch my flight back here.

can't really comment on the actual convention, since i didn't really participate in anything except the MKDD tournament, a game of diceland, and the gabe and tycho Q&A. diceland's a pretty fun game. gabe and tycho had a very good dynamic up on the stage. they were cracking jokes and pretty much being very affable. no offense to either of them, but i thought they would be super quiet and kind of cold on stage. i was pleasantly surprised. besides those things, i spent the entire convention socializing with random people. met a couple guys that go to the same school as me, and tons of other people.

verdict: :^:

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    We're all making shit up and faking photos. PAX was cancelled.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I was pleasantly surprised by one thing above the rest at PAX.

The dipshit to decent human being ratio was way out of whack.

It was like there was only one fucktard/asshat for every 400 decent people... I couldn't believe it.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    We're all making shit up and faking photos. PAX was cancelled.

Hey, don't say that. It's supposed to be a secret.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Even though I stayed at Doubletree for two nights (Fri and Sat), I didn't find any parties. I saw some guys playing Magic (who left to see Hero as soon as I could play), and that was about it.

With all of the hootenany at the forums, I thought I wouldn't be able to look in any direction without knowing that whoever I'm looking at was going to PAX.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    same here in regards to the parties, so we went down stairs to the lounge and got drunk. ;)
    to put it mildly, pax sucked. it sure wasnt worth flying 2000 miles for. the people in seattle are great and the guys at lanwerx really rock =D (only place we got any play time in), but this:
    It was like there was only one fucktard/asshat for every 400 decent people... I couldn't believe it.
    it seemed to me, if you reversed it, you might be correct. though props to anna and the guy who directed us to the bawls booth! :)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    raet wrote:
    same here in regards to the parties, so we went down stairs to the lounge and got drunk. ;)
    to put it mildly, pax sucked. it sure wasnt worth flying 2000 miles for. the people in seattle are great and the guys at lanwerx really rock =D (only place we got any play time in), but this:
    it seemed to me, if you reversed it, you might be correct. though props to anna and the guy who directed us to the bawls booth! :)

Sucked? Opposite of my experience. I had an awsome time there...pretty much every single person I met was really cool - there were some weird guys, but still. The constant games of Magic we had at the tabletop area were always fun, the practise rounds of 40k before the tourny were great too - got to see some other armies, and talk with other players. The only time I was like *ungh* was when I was up at the BYOC area and this kid was "omg gameboy sux!" when he saw me playing.

The parties were unorganized - me and my roommates only used our room for eating and sleep, although we did watch shark attack 2 on tv there. Woulda been nice if there were a way to advertise parties for the Canadians, but whatever....always next year!

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    I flew up from Texas, and I loved every last minute of PAX. I met a lot of really cool people, and only noticed a couple weird accents. I was able to keep mine pretty well covered, I thought. Of course, the two scottish guys had a pretty hard time doing it, so they didn't even try.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    PAX was fucking mindblowing.

End of story.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    PAX was fucking mindblowing.

End of story.

i second that notion. it was the most amazing experience of my entire life, if you include the WCST.

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    DJDMDJDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Damn I wish I could have made it. :evil:

Is it going to be here in Seattle again next year?

DJDM on
    GameDemoAnimation101806.gif
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Even though I stayed at Doubletree for two nights (Fri and Sat), I didn't find any parties. I saw some guys playing Magic (who left to see Hero as soon as I could play), and that was about it.

With all of the hootenany at the forums, I thought I wouldn't be able to look in any direction without knowing that whoever I'm looking at was going to PAX.

What are you talking about? Finding PAXers at the Doubletree was just a matter of opening your eyes. My roommate and I got to saying 'fib' everytime we saw a PAX person, it turned into a fun spot-the-geek game. (of course, we were just as obvious lol)

edit: and the parties were easy to find, too. The 117 one was, anyway, because Dario pretty much spammed the forums and was as loud as possible getting people together.

Ninto on
  • Options
    DysphoriaDysphoria Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I never heard of such a party. Nor saw it. And I was in room 111. I dunno if that's near 117, but from what I've heard I'm sorry I missed it :( Unless you're all wildly exhaggerating...

Dysphoria on
    Idle hands spend time at the genitals.
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Dysphoria wrote:
    I never heard of such a party. Nor saw it. And I was in room 111. I dunno if that's near 117, but from what I've heard I'm sorry I missed it :( Unless you're all wildly exhaggerating...

No, we had the door open for most of it, and a couple of guys were in the hallway trying to fight a few times. They were loud...

If you stepped on your patio at all you would have seen all the people out there smoking and chatting and yelling at clubbers going to their cars.

Not to mention the entire inner wall, visible from outside, covered with a projector screen of xbox/gcn action.

Guess you just weren't looking very hard ;)

Ninto on