As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Aftermath: Console Room

2»

• Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2004
    Can you post again on that fourm? Tell them that I love everyone that played MKDD with me and that it was great training some people to be better gunners.

Dareth Ram on
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    if anyone was there sunday morning 3am - 5am you missed a great clinic on soul calibur 2 from mostly zig, and myself.

and i think he did a guilty gear one too.

too good.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    if anyone was there sunday morning 3am - 5am you missed a great clinic on soul calibur 2 from mostly zig, and myself.

too good.

Wonder how I missed that. I was drifting here and there about that time. Mostly killing time waiting for the damn tournaments to end in the lanwerx room so I might have gotten a chance to try out Doom 3 (I don't own a copy yet).

Though I did get to play some gamecube 4 way fighting game featuring various Nintendo characters. It was fun despite the fact I had absolutely no idea how to play or what the controls did. Well I did ok I guess, considering I didn't know how to play.

Do you think it'd be appreciated if next year I brought my Neo Geo system ? (it's the cartridge version). I don't really have a lot of games though. Just Samurai Showdown 3 atm, but I am keen to find a copy of King of Monsters.

EDIT: Corrected a typo, I have Samurai Showdown 3, not 2

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    dude, what i was thinking, was if someone brought an N64.

cuz i would so enter a goldeneye tourny OR SSBs tourny.

cuz...SSb is so much sexier than SSBMs

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    alot of the people during the freeplay were being dicks about it too, as in they were hogging the systems the entire time

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited August 2004
    errrr
    i didnt see much of that...for the fighting games i saw a healthy amount of people rotating the controllers and junk, no idea about the other games.

when i played soul calibur 2 against people i gave up controller after 2 rotations, which was like...12 wins.

i know zig holds on to that shit like an otaku girl with anime, he never lets go. but he only had 20 wins i think...

i saw usually 1 or 2 stations empty.

can you be more specific about the scenario you were in???
    and what the fuck did you look like cuz i think i know you.

TheMountie on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    Zig21 wrote:
    The console room would have been a lot better off if there was another room that was dedicated entirely to free play.

Gimme about 10 more TV's + systems and it's a deal.

Otherwise, we need every station we can get for tournies.
    LESS TOURNIES.

Even if we had only two tournies per day, so long as the turnout is big, odds are we'll need every last station.

32 is a good number for just about any tournament (except Black Arrow; fuck that system link=1 player/console bullshit), so obtaining some more hardware and using it only for freeplay is good.

Besides, it's stupid to just assume we'll allow free play during tournies, especially in the early rounds. Plus, the fact that you spent more time watching than playing isn't my problem, 'cause that's how it goes for almost everybody. It's a tournament, for Christ's sake.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    errrr
    i didnt see much of that...for the fighting games i saw a healthy amount of people rotating the controllers and junk, no idea about the other games.

when i played soul calibur 2 against people i gave up controller after 2 rotations, which was like...12 wins.

i know zig holds on to that shit like an otaku girl with anime, he never lets go. but he only had 20 wins i think...

i saw usually 1 or 2 stations empty.

can you be more specific about the scenario you were in???
    and what the fuck did you look like cuz i think i know you.

a)i was in the MKDD tourney and it took FOREVER to get a practice round in

b)PAX019.jpg
    i'm the dude in the blue shirt in the center bottom

(the one that looks majestic and classy)

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    ohhhhhhhh, dunno if i talked to you or your team mate.

theres that andie chick in the hat, dont think ill forget that name for like...a year.

TheMountie on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I know many of the complaints I heard in the PC rooms was that there wasn't much to do in terms of playing games during peak tourney times. This was due to the majority of the PC and Console rooms being used nearly all the time during tournaments. I think it'd work best to schedule PC and Console tournaments to be staggered relative to one another. This way we could totally clear out one for free play, and prevent anyone from entering the other who wasn't a part of the tournament. This of course would require some kind of spectating equipment which could be easily handled for the PCs (big monitors hooked up as spectators to each server) and some kind of video camera feed could work for the console room. Having non-competitors in the way really caused matches to slow down in the PC room, and due to the size of the console room I'd imagine it was the same there.

What I don't get is how some people actually felt slighted because they couldn't sit down and play whenever they wanted to, as if we had 400 systems setup with no one else waiting to play. There were quite a few times late at night when someone would whine about not having a spot to play Half-Life single player the second they arrived. I had to stop myself a few times mid-sentence before I took their head off for acting like a six year old. I might have even killed one of them with my barehands, but it was so tired I can't remember much of what happened towards the end.

Fall on
    edited August 2004
    maybe you did kill someone since you were so tired and dont remember.

in the console room not many people complained.

next year i reallllly hope i am allowed to volunteer in PC or console, i love being in that environment that is PAX, but..if i dont volunteer i run out of things to do.

TheMountie on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:

too good.

Was Zig the one with the arcade stick or was that you? I was next to you guys for a while play SC2 on the GameCube till about ~3:15. I thought you guys were just playing and not giving tips and shit, otherwise I would have stayed longer (even though I was tired as hell).

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2004
    Heh, I should have volunteered for something like a 2 am to 9 am shift or something. I had nothing of real value to do during that time. Though I did meet and talk to some interesting people. Keeping myself alert with little to do was a real trick.

I'd have liked to play some PC games. I'm not miffed that the tournaments had priority, I actually expected that. What I didn't expect is they would monopolize so much of the time available. They were still going at 4 am :| . I'd just like a better shot next time at getting some playtime in without the stress or commitment of signing up for a tourney.

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    Besides, it's stupid to just assume we'll allow free play during tournies, especially in the early rounds. Plus, the fact that you spent more time watching than playing isn't my problem, 'cause that's how it goes for almost everybody. It's a tournament, for Christ's sake.
    You're missing my point. I respect the effort you put in to make sure everything went, and I realize the neccesity of needing every station available. However, what I was sugesting wasn't leaving stations free during tournies. I was suggesting there be LESS tournaments. Period.

There was very little time for free play because so much of the console time was taken up by tournaments. I think there was too many games that had tournies going on for them, given the number of stations available.

Maybe that's just me.

Dareth Ram on
    edited August 2004
    Yoshua wrote:
    Heh, I should have volunteered for something like a 2 am to 9 am shift or something. I had nothing of real value to do during that time. Though I did meet and talk to some interesting people. Keeping myself alert with little to do was a real trick.

I'd have liked to play some PC games. I'm not miffed that the tournaments had priority, I actually expected that. What I didn't expect is they would monopolize so much of the time available. They were still going at 4 am :| . I'd just like a better shot next time at getting some playtime in without the stress or commitment of signing up for a tourney.

sleep?

EDIT: jesus, what tournament was still going on at 4 in the morning?

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    Yoshua wrote:

sleep?

EDIT: jesus, what tournament was still going on at 4 in the morning?

2 counter strike tournaments were still going on. Some people were playing Warcraft 3, but I don't know that they were in any tournament. (there were in fact 10 open PC's for free play, but there was a lonnnnnnng line of people waiting on them).

I only know they were in a tournment because of a faux pax I made. I didn't understand that to use a computer you had to go back to the lanwerx dude at the rear of the room and ask. I figured it was root, hog or die, if you saw an open terminal, sit down and play. Several folks had gotten up and left, so I assumed it was open. I logged into a game, someone came by and politely told me a tournament was going on. I blushed, logged off the server and sat back in the cheering section. Was a little embarrassing, but I don't think any harm was done.

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    DathMat-Eh, I think we could free up plenty of time without axing more than 1 per day, plus better planning.

The big problem for me were the "sponsored" tournies (Black Arrow, Halo 2). They took up a LOT of time, and quite frankly, I'd prefer it if they provided their own TV's.

With the time BA and Halo 2 took up, we could've either added AT LEAST two hours of free play between tournies, or gotten all the tournies done sooner and got things rolling early. Maybe even do most or all of the tournies on Saturday, then do free play all of Saturday night through the end of the convention.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2004
    not to mention zig's clinics.

The BA bullshit without split screen made me want to vomit, blood.

took so damn long.

i still think isuka will be a fun game for tourny...i mean..jesus, its a party game.

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    Fuck Isuka.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2004
    BUT THE GIRL HAS A FUCKING KEY WITH EYES!!!

Zig had the arcade stick, umm...he was giving the dude on his left comments on help using Ivy and Mitsu. Pretty much if someone said whats good with so and so, we told them, and then showed them the best combo's off certain moves.

if you want more, ask zig, hes quite proud of his gamefaqs

we never stop hearing about it.

TheMountie on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    TheMountie wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:
    The friend I brought is still crushed she lost in the Mario Kart tournament. Whoever beat her at Baby Park, fuck you. I had to listen to her bitch the 4 hour trip home.

that wouldnt be andie would it :P

Umm, I actually think that I was the guy who got first on that particular race.

Sorry, I guess.
    She said it was one of the Super trip people. I'm not sure.

She was asian, and had a Mario and Luigi shirt on and her partner w

as an enforcer. Second round, apparently. Was it her?

Oh yeah, that race... Some of the other West Coast Supertrip people got 1st on that race, me and my partner(the WCST Team in that tournament) got 2nd though, and we were sitting right next to her. Her partner was also one of the WCST people, who was also a volunteer at PAX. Baby Park is a pain in the ass though, since its mostly based on who gets what items. We had played with her before the tournament started and she was pretty good, she must have had some bad luck on that race though.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    BUT THE GIRL HAS A FUCKING KEY WITH EYES!!!

Zig had the arcade stick, umm...he was giving the dude on his left comments on help using Ivy and Mitsu. Pretty much if someone said whats good with so and so, we told them, and then showed them the best combo's off certain moves.

if you want more, ask zig, hes quite proud of his gamefaqs

we never stop hearing about it.

hahahahahahha

gameFAQs

hahahahahhahaha

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    I only mentioned my FAQ once. :(

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2004
    during the MKDD tourney one of your guys at the table was mentioning how you checked out the GameFAQs forums alot and you just looked at him and quickly went "dude shut up!"

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    LOL!!!!

pwned.

rob, andrew and i have an inside joke about you. umm...its fucking funny shit, anyone who knows you would die laughing. we can show you later.

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    We do? wtf, I don't remember that shit. 'course I was too tired to begin with.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    TheMountie wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:
    The friend I brought is still crushed she lost in the Mario Kart tournament. Whoever beat her at Baby Park, fuck you. I had to listen to her bitch the 4 hour trip home.

that wouldnt be andie would it :P

Umm, I actually think that I was the guy who got first on that particular race.

Sorry, I guess.
    She said it was one of the Super trip people. I'm not sure.

She was asian, and had a Mario and Luigi shirt on and her partner was an enforcer. Second round, apparently. Was it her?

It was the team I was going to be on, but I had the 40k in 40 minutes tourny. We for 2 and a half hours saturday night.

I know that race. Your friend taught me how to play as a gunner that day and we were the ones who got first in that particular baby park match.

tell her im sorry :oops:

Grath on
    edited September 2004
    I don't think she actually upset with anyone in particular, aside from herself.

And me, for not being sympathetic. :lol:

In case you missed it, she asked me to write:

"Can you post again on that fourm? Tell them that I love everyone that played MKDD with me and that it was great training some people to be better gunners."

Dareth Ram on
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    next year i reallllly hope i am allowed to volunteer in PC or console, i love being in that environment that is PAX, but..if i dont volunteer i run out of things to do.

Word up.

Next time, people who bring their own games should fill out a sheet providing what systems/games they brought. This will indicate both what they will take out, and it will also be a good list for people looking for a specific game that someone else brought.

There was no such thing as organization, but I will not complain. The staff and volunteers did remarkable work given the circumstances.

In short, I believe the staff knows what must be done and what will be done to create a better enviroment.

On the way to a better, bigger, more populated PAX.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
This discussion has been closed.