As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stargate Worlds MMO - Please dont suck

• Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yea I got an e-mail the other day telling me to sign up.

So uh, Forar.. Closed beta. NDA? Eh?

Oddjob187 on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i was sorta excited when i first heard about this. stargate is cool and all, but seems like a hard thing to pull off well.

hopin i get into the beta and get to try it out.

tehmarken on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    So uh, Forar.. Closed beta. NDA? Eh?

I was just playing along with Golf and Louie.

Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up, but I'll take that as a sign I was at least somewhat convincing.

I just like Stargate, though I still need to pick up a few seasons of it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm just plain drooling over the idea of playing this game. I wants this NOW!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After signing up for this beta (I never get into betas :<) I finally decided to start watching.

I'm like 6 episodes in and Tiulk (sp?) is pretty bad ass

Scroffus on
    edited May 2008
    Teal'c? Yeah, he's badass.

Season 1 is okay, but just like TNG, it kind of shows its age in places. I enjoyed it, but I like the later seasons even more.

I think I'm up to season 6 or 7.

Forar on
    edited May 2008
    Does it get more spacey later on, or is it just ancient civilisations as far as the eye can see (just watched the one with the Nox last night, thought they were cool being super advanced invisible hippies).

EDIT: Should I spoiler spoilers that are that old?

Scroffus on
    edited May 2008
    I don't think it's spoiling anything to say that yes, they do end up in space on a fairly regular basis, though often just in transit.

Forar on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    This game is going to feel a lot like running Portal Corp in CoH.

And I am perfectly okay with that.

Hell, it's even got Scooters avatar as the Lead Systems Designer according to Wikipedia! :P

Personally I'm hoping I can play golf into an open wormhole.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Does it get more spacey later on, or is it just ancient civilisations as far as the eye can see (just watched the one with the Nox last night, thought they were cool being super advanced invisible hippies).

let's just say that the whole "find advanced tech to defend Earth" mission statement eventually starts paying major dividends.

Bremen on
    edited May 2008
    Great.

Also do they ever explain why everyone speaks english (apart from being convenient for the show)?

Scroffus on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    no, not really

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Bremen wrote: »

let's just say that the whole "find advanced tech to defend Earth" mission statement eventually starts paying major dividends.

That's one thing I really, really like about Stargate; continuity. They have characters, events and items from previous shows either show up or are at least mentioned on a fairly regular basis.

Sure, there are plenty of things that happen or whatever and are just never dealt with again, but I find of all the lengthy series I've ever watched, Stargate is one of the best about at least trying to keep up to speed with its own stories.

You ever watch a show where they have a problem, and you end up wondering "Why don't they use that ____ they found back in season 3?" Happens far less with Stargate, in my experience.

Forar on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is pretty much the only MMO that I'm keeping an eye on with a view to actually picking it up at some point. I'm reading up on Conan and WAR, but I have no faith that they'll be worth playing for me.

Hopefully I can get beta'd up.

devoir on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great.

Also do they ever explain why everyone speaks english (apart from being convenient for the show)?

Granted I haven't seen the entire series yet, but I did come across an episode that dealt with the word Kree and why Jaffa/Goa'uld seem to be using it more then a 14 year old girl uses the word like.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Recently bought the 10-season pack. Its just beautiful...finished season 10 some days ago.
    Kinda wanna watch the movies. NOW. >__<

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    Great.

Granted I haven't seen the entire series yet, but I did come across an episode that dealt with the word Kree and why Jaffa/Goa'uld seem to be using it more then a 14 year old girl uses the word like.

O'NEILL: "All right. I gotta know."
    JACKSON: "Yes, I'm about to activate it."
    O'NEILL: "No, no, no. Not that. What the hell does Kree mean?"
    JACKSON: "Well, actually, it means a lot of things. Uh, loosely translated it means 'attention,' 'listen up,' 'concentrate.' "
    O'NEILL: "Yoo-hoo?"
    JACKSON: "Yes, in a manner of speaking."

Soundwave on
    edited May 2008
    Oh RDA, you crazy cat.

I got an e-mail a little while ago telling me to sign up for beta, but I have not heard anything yet. Any of you guys hear anything other then "Hey you, sign up!" ?

Oddjob187 on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Recently bought the 10-season pack. Its just beautiful...finished season 10 some days ago.

I hope you have seen the Kurt Russel movie at least.

Seg on
    edited May 2008

One of the movies is out already.

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »

One of the movies is out already.

Indeed, I believe Ark of Truth is out now. Stargate Continuum comes out July 29th and looks pretty decent.

Continuum information, might be spoilers if you want everything to be a complete surprise.

Oddjob187 on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    I wonder how many different Goa'uld lord Jaffas there will be in the game. Frankly, I think Ra's jackal-headed guards from the movie looked hella cooler than snakeheads, and not just because the props were higher budget.

Glal on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »
    I wonder how many different Goa'uld lord Jaffas there will be in the game. Frankly, I think Ra's jackal-headed guards from the movie looked hella cooler than snakeheads, and not just because the props were higher budget.

The continuity is totally different between the movie and the show. In my option, the movie has a better back story than the show. There were a couple of books based on the movies, that would have made a great game. I only wish they show had been able to pull off the level of SFX the movie had. I can only imagine how tough the Ra guards headgear was to pull off.

I signed up for the beta last week. I hope I get in!

That_Guy on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, the precise animatronics from the movie's headgear would never survive in a show setting. Those jackal and falcon heads looked really delicate (and really awesome).

Damn it, now I'm actually getting all hopeful over this. It has the potential to be awesome (and a huger potential to be absolute crap :().

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, the precise animatronics from the movie's headgear would never survive in a show setting. Those jackal and falcon heads looked really delicate (and really awesome).

Damn it, now I'm actually getting all hopeful over this. It has the potential to be awesome (and a huger potential to be absolute crap :().

I hear that. I am hoping it is going to be more like a FPSMMO (ala Planetside) and less of the point and click RPG type interface. I want be be able to jump through a Gate, frag some Jaf'fa, plant some C4, and run like hell. None of that walking around killing giant toads or some shit, while casting spells. Action and gun-toating for me, please.

That_Guy on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's going to be ranged combat but I don't think it's going to be the FPS/action orientation you know and love. They really need to get some footage going. The game's not due for years so I'm not pressed. A new hybrid action/rpg system could work if it is done right.

Hembot on
    edited May 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The continuity is totally different between the movie and the show. In my option, the movie has a better back story than the show. There were a couple of books based on the movies, that would have made a great game. I only wish they show had been able to pull off the level of SFX the movie had. I can only imagine how tough the Ra guards headgear was to pull off.

I signed up for the beta last week. I hope I get in!

No. The books were horrendously boring. Trade politics does not make for a good game unless you want to redo Alpha Centauri with only two sides and two planets.
    Hembot wrote: »
    It's going to be ranged combat but I don't think it's going to be the FPS/action orientation you know and love. They really need to get some footage going. The game's not due for years so I'm not pressed. A new hybrid action/rpg system could work if it is done right.

It's due end of this year.

devoir on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've yet to see a single gameplay trailer. I really doubt Q4 '08 and I still doubt any time in '09. The beta is ??? sometime later this year. We're in the middle of Q2.

Hembot on
    edited May 2008
    Nevertheless, their release date is Fall 2008.

devoir on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    and mmo release dates never change

still, its a bit optimistic for them to think that to start with

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited May 2008
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

No really, when's it actually due out?

*rimshot*

Forar on
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone managed to get into the beta? NDA aside if anyone is in, is the game as great as I think it will be?

That_Guy on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just a note, but the CGI Horus guard jaffa helmets showed up in the series a couple times. Heru-ur's guards used them in a few episodes and they had a cameo in the episode where SG-1 goes back in time to ancient egypt.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2008
    Did they actually use the CGI for that? I remember them using the same style of helmet a few times, but just had a 'flip top' varient because the CGI was too expensive to use for regular episodes.

I loved that effect in the film, but I can understand not having the time or money to do it regularly for a weekly show.

I've only got 6 or 7 seasons, and I recall the Egypt trip being in Season 8, so I've yet to see that one at least.

Forar on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone managed to get into the beta? NDA aside if anyone is in, is the game as great as I think it will be?

This ain't near beta stage.

Scooter on
    edited August 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

I've heard the same thing.

Hence the not-mocking laughter at the idea that it'd be out in the fall.

Granted, fall of 20__ I'll believe.

Forar on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You got your SG in my Unreal Championship 2.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Did they actually use the CGI for that? I remember them using the same style of helmet a few times, but just had a 'flip top' varient because the CGI was too expensive to use for regular episodes.

I loved that effect in the film, but I can understand not having the time or money to do it regularly for a weekly show.

I've only got 6 or 7 seasons, and I recall the Egypt trip being in Season 8, so I've yet to see that one at least.

They used the CGI effect. Granted it didn't look nearly as good as it did in the movie, and they often had the guys remove their helmets off screen with the whirling metal noises to avoid having to show it, but it was there.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

It is currently in a "friends and family" beta. Wishful thinking on my part, but you never know.

That_Guy on
    edited November 2008
    There is some new(ish) game footage up. I personally am pretty excited to start playing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?videoid=1310&setview=videos&gameid=242&bhcp=1

That_Guy on