As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 04: The Good, The Bad & Making It Better

• Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Let's put it in simple terms,

Are the Frag Dolls Attractive? YES

Have they ever used their sexuality to attaract gamers (male or female)? YES
    (Delectable Frag Dolls comment from Borfase above)

Do they work for or run a corporate booth? YES

Can they kick butt? YES

hmmm it seems like they're BOOTH BABES with skills!

Mr.Sci-Fi on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    chrysoula wrote:
    I just want to point out that I find the Frag Dolls very inspiring and I'm totally behind the idea of the Frag Dolls existing partially as a way to attract more women to games. I didn't know who or what they were at first, and man was I excited when I realized they could and did actually kick ass instead of being eye candy.

It amazes me how often people think girls who kick ass and dress well must be aimed at men instead of at other women.

Anyhow, this morning I was jumping up and down saying, "I wanna be a Frag Doll!" But I've been tracking this thread and I see them repeatedly called booth babes even when they say they don't like it. WTF? My desire to take another stab at those kind of games (instead of the puzzle and RPGs I usually play) has been all over the charts today. Up... and then down...

they're the spice girls of video games

so what you're saying is, you like the spice girls

oh man

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    So, uh, because somebody not-them promoted them as 'the delectable Frag Dolls', they've used their sexuality to attract gamers? Give me a break.

Here's a clue. Booth babes is a way of referring to the women hired by a corporation to stand around in relatively little clothing, pose with men who come by, and pass out junk. They're hired for their looks. Nobody expects them to have any gaming skill or even any gaming knowledge.

By insisting on calling them booth babes, when they have stated they are not, you are being an ass, being insulting, and misclassifying them.

As for the Spice Girls remark, WTF? I have to assume that comes from the fact that there's a gang of them and they wear cute clothes. That seems to be the only resemblance.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2004
    yes, exactly what i meant

precisely

Borfase on
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    umm

misclassification???

guys, they are just chicks who dig games. its not like they were wearing halter tops and push up bras.

...ok i dont know about the bras but i didnt see halter tops.

i thought they seemed cool, i was to busy to mingle with them, theres always next year ;)

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Katscratch wrote:
    The team we played against had at least one player who had been in the demo for weeks who works for Microsoft, and the other players had been watching the map for hours. We walked in and did not even know where the freaking flag was. I think we represented well.

More specifically, the Frag Dolls played against a squad that included two ringers from Microsoft, one of whom plays on the highest ranked team on the Halo 2 beta. And yes, the PAX guys had been watching the map for three hours or so.

Unknown User on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I think that you should find out the exact capacity for all of the events (panels/tournies/shows) and then pre-sell spots. Still leave enough spots open for the people that for whatever reason couldn't pre-register. Of course, it then comes down to how do you verify who's registered for the events and who's not. I mean, you can't realistically go down a list checking off 400 names while people are trying to get into a concert. I think they need to have passes with barcodes, and get scanners. Then the scanner could just let out a "Get the fuck out" beep if they're not in the event. It'd be a little more costly, but the software and such involved could then be used at later shows. This is just a thought, and if anyone else has anything to add, or suggestions to my suggestion, I'd love to hear them.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    I think that you should find out the exact capacity for all of the events (panels/tournies/shows) and then pre-sell spots. Still leave enough spots open for the people that for whatever reason couldn't pre-register. Of course, it then comes down to how do you verify who's registered for the events and who's not. I mean, you can't realistically go down a list checking off 400 names while people are trying to get into a concert. I think they need to have passes with barcodes, and get scanners. Then the scanner could just let out a "Get the fuck out" beep if they're not in the event. It'd be a little more costly, but the software and such involved could then be used at later shows. This is just a thought, and if anyone else has anything to add, or suggestions to my suggestion, I'd love to hear them.

I'd think something more low tech would be better.

Let's say they do badges next year. Have numbered squares go around the badge, the numbers correspond to a tournament, but the tournaments assigned to that number are not announced (except to staff if need be), this way someone can't really cheat if they mail out the badges early. On the check in list for pre-regs would have the numbers to punch on the badge. So you check in, get your badge punched then wait for your tournaments. Folks doing the tournament only need to look at the badge to see if that person belongs at the tournament. If a conflict arises, you can resolve it by checking the list and see who really belongs there.

I think it'd be pretty fast and easy unless a lot of people decided to try and cheat by punching holes in all the boxes. But that would look suspicious considering a good number of tournaments would likely be going on simultaneously. I don't think a lot of people would try that really.

Yoshua on
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I appreciate you guys that have our backs out there, i just wanted to state that becuase I do not belive we will be replying to the other posts anymore, you can only repeat yourself so many times.

And as exhibitors I wanted to thank all the PAX guys out there that put a lot of time into helping us work the event- You guys were great and I cant wait until next year!

Dr. K and Gabe, this time I will be ready for you in SCPT!!! :lol:

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Yoshua wrote:
    sPider817 wrote:

I'd think something more low tech would be better.

Let's say they do badges next year. Have numbered squares go around the badge, the numbers correspond to a tournament, but the tournaments assigned to that number are not announced (except to staff if need be), this way someone can't really cheat if they mail out the badges early. On the check in list for pre-regs would have the numbers to punch on the badge. So you check in, get your badge punched then wait for your tournaments. Folks doing the tournament only need to look at the badge to see if that person belongs at the tournament. If a conflict arises, you can resolve it by checking the list and see who really belongs there.

I think it'd be pretty fast and easy unless a lot of people decided to try and cheat by punching holes in all the boxes. But that would look suspicious considering a good number of tournaments would likely be going on simultaneously. I don't think a lot of people would try that really.

everything that was wrong can be solved with a bigger place to hold the convention, imo

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, the punch card is a good idea. You know, you CAN get custom made hole punchers. You could get the PAX X or something. Then you'd have bastards with exactos, or knives. I would say just assign a number to a certain event, like you were saying, but something like this.
      PA Q&A: 32 Halo Tourney: 42 Halo 3 Demo: 69
    Then put a number that you're not using in any of the codes in as a spacer, let's say 1 for now.
    The badge could have this for someone entered in the first and last events
    Now, it's not obviously a punch spot, but just a serial number if the purchasers aren't given the heads up about how the badge works.

sPider817 on
    edited August 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    Yeah, the punch card is a good idea. You know, you CAN get custom made hole punchers. You could get the PAX X or something. Then you'd have bastards with exactos, or knives. I would say just assign a number to a certain event, like you were saying, but something like this.
      PA Q&A: 32 Halo Tourney: 42 Halo 3 Demo: 69
    Then put a number that you're not using in any of the codes in as a spacer, let's say 1 for now.
    The badge could have this for someone entered in the first and last events
    Now, it's not obviously a punch spot, but just a serial number if the purchasers aren't given the heads up about how the badge works.

Yeah, that'd work too.

Forgers can get around anything we come up with. But I would wager that there would be few enough of them that sniffing them out would be pretty easy, especially considering that the folks running the tourney have the names of the people actually registered. Someone might have the right code/punch, but their name won't match up to anyone actually registered. The code stamp is just to facilitate and speed up getting people registered and into their tournaments, not neccessarily the only thing used.

There is no reason that the working of the badges need be known to anyone but the staff.

I don't know that more space would neccessarily make things better. It might just tempt the people running the expo next year to start more and/or larger tournies. Though we might see more freeplay at off hours at least.

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    Yes, we need bigger place for freeplay and more time for it. The sunday freeplay in the console room was fucking cancelled because of inventory control problems, or something like that. I got to play in there once all fuckin weekend. Of course, I had a fun still. It was great just sitting around bullshitting with like-minded people, not to mention getting more coverage out there for my own webcomic. Speaking of which, I should be a guest next year. Do a panel on writing webcomics, and bring me in as the grass roots, up and comer that no one's heard of.

sPider817 on
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Frankie wrote:
    Katscratch wrote:
    The team we played against had at least one player who had been in the demo for weeks who works for Microsoft, and the other players had been watching the map for hours. We walked in and did not even know where the freaking flag was. I think we represented well.

More specifically, the Frag Dolls played against a squad that included two ringers from Microsoft, one of whom plays on the highest ranked team on the Halo 2 beta. And yes, the PAX guys had been watching the map for three hours or so.

<3 Frankie! Thanks for letting us hop in on Halo 2. It was incredibly fun. You guys know your stuff.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Frankie wrote:
    Katscratch wrote:

Thanks for letting me take pics after I played, and playing on the big screen! Capping that flag on the massive projector in front of the crowds was incredible! w00t! Go Bungie! :D

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
    edited August 2004
    Also, they need to get the announcer from Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter II to do all of the announcements.

sPider817 on
    edited August 2004
    The isuka tournament had a fatality and is cancled.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    The isuka tournament had a fatality and is cancled.
    ExFuckingActly

sPider817 on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Y'all know what rocked, but I'm gonna put my personal favorites anyhow.

R0x0rlist
    • Halo 2
    • The Minibosses
    • RvB
    • The Supertrip and supertrippers.

And now, the suggestions list. I know most of this has been mentioned before, but here goes anyhow:

FiXx0Rlist
    • The theatre was too small. Perhaps one of those cinema screens could be rented for the big on-screen events, being that there's one about two blocks away.
    • The ticketing process for events was haphazard at best. While greater amounts of tickets for stuff is by far the preferred situation, barring that, a staggered sales method would ensure that late risers got tickets too, not just those who happened to be in the DDR line between 8:40 and 8:55 A.M.
    • The con needs a chill room. There wasn't really anywhere dark and quiet for those who had a Bawls too many to just cool off on couches, or for people without a hotel to catch an hour or two of shut-eye on a bench. Low lights, no music, no handhelds without headphones, cell phones off. Given that the Mydenbauer people probably don't want gamers sleeping in their center, the crash-room bit needn't be formal, just a place with an informal understanding that you won't get a rude awakening.
    • Appropriate supplies. Did the Mydenbauer food guys even know what they were getting into? They were selling gourmet plates buffet style to gamers on the go. What would be more appropriate:
      - Candy bars and other one-hand foods. Not loose candy like Skittles that can get scattered underfoot, but solid bars, like Snickers. Cookies are good. For the savory, have the con people sell hot pockets or sandwiches.
      - Espresso cafes are okay, but they don't fit with the gamer crowd. I'd like to see chilled fruit juices (the tarter the better), flats of Jolt, Starbucks Doubleshots-in-a-can, and Bawls people, nobody likes that sugar-free crap. Less healthy, more buzzy!
      - I know that half of the hygiene comments we've heard are jokes, but in all seriousness, look into supplies. Deoderant, and lots of it. The manufacturers will fall all over themselves to give you boxes and boxes and boxes of these little sample packs if you say you'll hand them out at the con for free. Make it discrete, not some big sign by the door, just a little box near the bathroom enterance. Also offer Ibuprofen, Tums and earplugs for sale near the chill-room. PM me and I'll look into hooking you up with a distributor and getting any requisite licensing done beforehand.
    • I couldn't hear a damn word the announcers were saying. What you need is either a scroller on the bottom of the event monitor screens, or scrolling LCD projectors. Voice announcements just don't work in a crowd.

All in all, I can't say I have ever had a more fun weekend in my life. It was a blast, and you will be seeing me next year.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited August 2004
    do you go to UO? did i meet you? i met alot of eugene folk

Borfase on
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Instead of goodie bags hand out sticks of deoderants to the first 2000 people in teh door.

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
    edited August 2004
    i didnt notice any stench at pax

but the air was ripe with bo at comic con

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    it really isnt too hard to put a small stick of speed stick in your pocket.

Christ on the cross, its not that hard to stay fresh.

and i noticed the BO, like 20 people standing next to me in the console room, i almost wanted to drive them to a walgreens or something.

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    I suppose I picked the places to be then, I didn't really notice the BO much, if at all. But I wasn't in any of the small rooms or the theatre much, if at all. The other areas were really open and airflow was decent.

By the time I got into the console or PC room, I was too tired to really care if people stank or not. Dunno if I was stinky or not, I did take a pretty thorough shower just before getting to PAX (my hair wasn't even totally dry by the time I got there).

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    And you've got a shitload of hair, you dirty hippy (I KNOW you said you took a shower)

sPider817 on
    edited August 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    And you've got a shitload of hair, you dirty hippy (I KNOW you said you took a shower)

Shoulda met me between the ages of 16 and 24, my hair went down past my waist. Dunno if it will ever get that long again.

I can't be a hippy. Patouli makes me want to vomit. I hate paisly and bell bottoms. And I own enough rifles and pistols to stage a coup in a small third world nation.

Yoshua on
    edited August 2004
    gogogo NRA
    gg no re thxk dont cry noob.

TheMountie on
  • KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The only thing that really bothered me was that, while pitches in the Pitch Your Game Idea session were supposed to be kept to 30 seconds, some of them went on forever. Even when they were just plain terrible ideas. That and the fact that nearly every person chosen was in the front row - there were loads of people towards the back that weren't even given a glance.

I sincerely hope to see it next year, but it needs to be longer than an hour and stricter time limits need to be enforced.

KyleG on
  • lokimantislokimantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Taramoor wrote:
    The Minibosses need to become an absolute fixture at PAX. They MUST perform at Every. Single. One. Mega Man, Metroid, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Goonies II, Blaster Master, Punch-Out, every single thing they played just rocked the roof off the theater. My second favorite thing at PAX.

PAX DVD possibly?... eh eh?... I'm soooooooo down for a dvd... cmon fellas... u caught it all on camera!?

lokimantis on
    £0kì/\/\ån7ì§ :
    As long as I don't do, what I'm planning on doing, everything will work out perfectly.
  • crimsonjestercrimsonjester Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I had a great time and could feel the pain from Gabe and Tycho of the logistic issues that came up from the underestimating of attendees. More Venue space and better logistics will fix most of the problems. When you pre-register you also sign up for any events (both turnaments and theatre events) so they know how big of space will be needed.

The one thing I will suggest for next year is RETRO-ROOM 05. I can't even count the amount of times I heard, "wish we could find a place to play XXXX" where XXXX was some NES/SNES/GENISIS/etc. game. What I would really love is a room outlines with retro archade machines and then tables with retro systems hooked to them.

Overall had a much better time then I thought I would and starting the waving cell phone 80's tribute at the Mini-bosses was my fav moment.

crimsonjester on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Many people said they liked the Tabletop room, and for the most part I agree, but I would put out my two cents at ways that I think it could have been better:

- Split the room into different sections so that someone who is looking for an RPG knows where to go. This goes for a board or card game.
    - Have sign ups for events, THEN first come/first serve. I would have liked to sign up for certain things (non-tourney) and not worried about staying there hours in advance.
    - More tables = better. The tables were filled almost constantly, it was fine, but it would have been nice to have a few more.
    - More games. "Shout out" to people to volunteer to bring things. It didn't even occur to me to bring some tabletop board games to the event (which is my fault) but while there, I had to rely on the kindness of other people who had brought stuff.
    - Have specific slots in which certain games are played. This is relatively commonplace for most gaming cons, and people play things at certain times. I'd like to know where to go, when to go, instead of milling around waiting for a pick-up game. This might work at college gaming club, but doesn't really for a large convention with thousands of attendees.
    - Living Campaigns! If there were living campaigns featured here, it would bring in hundreds of people to play, and would lend an air of official-ness to much of the gaming. I like being able to travel to different states with my roving halfing-druid and play Living Greyhawk. It's one of the best aspects of the campaign.

Otherwise I had a great time at the con. =)

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    it was really good, although all i did was totally hang out with people
    any suggestions i'd have would be:
    more stuff. it seemed that there just wasn't enough for all that showed up.
    and maybe have a (small)tourny registration fee or sell (cheap)passes for free time to a) make it easier to pay for more stuff and b)discourage some from trying to sign up for everything and not actually doing anything. make them chose what they really want, while not having it be too expensive to do anything.

also, we need free pie.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited August 2004
    living campaigns? does that entail dirty, wretched LARPers?

Borfase on
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Given that PAX'05 is going to be in the Meydenbauer Center again, and that there will be more space opened up, and more attendees (at least everyone on the forums who missed it this time around) learning how to make better use of all the space will be important.

Scheduling: For the entire con, plan on the '50 minute Hour' for panels, Q&A, demos, and every scheduled event. Leave 10 minutes for getting people out of the rooms, let new people into the room for the next panel, and allow some set-up for the next panel speakers.

Main Ballroom: The only people to see it this year were some of the staff getting more chairs for the Tabletop area. The floorspace is larger than the Exhibition Hall, PC Rooms, Console Room, and the hallways around them combined. What do do with all that area? Options:

1)Uber Theater - a place for Really BIG panels, Q&A, and other events
    2)New Exhibition Hall - more exhibitors, with more gamespace, and possibly a place to Buy Stuff. (Trial Size Deodorants at cost...)
    3)All PC Gaming (w00t)
    4)All Console Gaming (double w00t)
    5)All Tabletop Gaming (w00t with Dice)
    6)Half & Half (pick two of the above options)- Would free up the other rooms for multiple panels, or more stuff, but it would be LOUD in that One Big Game Pit.

Also if it were half Panels & half something else, the panel would be drowned out by the gaming, or the gamers would be annoyed by the PA system so the panel attendees could hear

Theater: Multiples of popular panels, and let's save the movies for Early morning, or late evening when less people would be there. Or, it the theater could be open 24 hours, show movies/videos all night long.

Depending on what is done with the Main Ballroom, other option come open for the 4th floor.

Tournament Consoles on one side, PCs where the Exhibition hall was, and freeplay Consoles on the other side. (assuming Main Ballroom = Exhibition Hall)

The Tabletop area has room to expand towards (and past) the stairs on either end, and just need more tables & chairs.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • kolekole Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    THE GOOD
    -everything. if you got in a tournament, or played some unreleased games, then you know what i'm talking about. sure, a bunch of people showed up that no one was expecting, but hell, its the first year. good job PA!

THE BAD
    -the smell. dammit people, grow up.
    -stealing. a PS2 and some banners. dammit people, grow up.

SUGGESTIONS
    -deciding last minute to give away tickets for halo 2. i went home for the night and wasn't there in the morning to hear the announcement. hopefully next year [with more room] just set up a sign that says "HALO 2 DEMO LINE STARTS HERE" first come, first served. no lottery, no tickets.
    -have all tournaments pre-register online before the convention. and leave a certain amount of "pick-up" teams for last minute entries.
    -have pick-up tournaments that were not scheduled. make an announcement, first 64 people to sign up in a certain room, are in.
    -the smell.
    -every event in the theater should be aired in another room. have this room wired with tvs and speakers so if your not in the theater, you can still hear and experience everything.
    -more of everything.

most of these problems will be easily fixed next year. most of the problems were because no one was ready for the amount of people. i'm sure companies will double their presents and be more ready. all in all, it was a great convention. again, thanks PA!

kole on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    living campaigns? does that entail dirty, wretched LARPers?

No, god no. OH GOD NO.

They're run by the RPGA and are just regular rpgs that are structured in a particular way. www.rpga.com

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I think it did great considering they had twice the crowd they expected, which honestly next year I think it will increase so they need figure on 4000+ possible for next year on top of fixing the problems with this year.

Oh yeah, this was a big one for me, I heard GameSkins was there so I took 100 dollars in cash to buy t-shirts without the S&H, but was disappointed to find that they carried very little of their selection. I guess I can pick up some of them at local Hot Topic but still. That and I wanted to buy the decals for my own stuff that I saw in the console room. I forget who makes those but it would be cool to see booths for places like lik-sang.com and the guys who donated the skins for the consoles in the console room would be great. If anybody is gonna buy that stuff its the people at PAX and they would make a great addition to be able to buy those hard to find console and PC products. Thankfully I was able to get a Bawls X-box decal that they were giving away so I didn't go home disappointed.

terrix on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    i really enjoyed the whole experience. and with the issue of size and space already bing addressed I think other than asking like a poor dickensian orphan for more I'd be just as if not more satisfied next year (though it would be awesome if it started friday or friday night).

except that is:
    also, we need free pie.

futility on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Just a suggestion, I think the tournaments should adhere to the ESRB ratings, no one under 17 in M rated tournaments. I heard a few people complain about little kids in Counter-Strike holding up the tournament by swarming the volunteers or something...I dont know, I wasnt in that tournament, but I still think it might make things go a little smoother.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited August 2004
    i was gonna say they need more interesting exhibitioners, but i think the amount of people that showed up the first year will speak for itself next time

i feel sorry for poor brady games, seemed like no one went there

Borfase on