As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Storing prepped (un)baked goods overnight

ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend is coming back into town on Sunday, probably late afternoon. She and I are going to the First Night celebration in town, then I'll probably spend the night at her place. Now, her favorite food of all time is cinnamon buns, and I've gone on a bit of a baking kick lately, so I want to make some for her, probably using this recipe. What I'd like to do, though, is be able to make them during the day of Sunday, completely prep them, tray them up, take them to her house trayed and covered on Sunday, then store them in her fridge overnight to be baked the next morning. The question is, is it ok to refrigerate dough like this? They would have been raised, formed, raised again, then trayed/covered/cooled, transported to somewhere else, stored cooled overnight, then baked in the morning. Will I still have cinnamon buns, or will I just get some goop to greet me Monday morning?

Zifnab on

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think what you kinda need to do is refigerate them before the second rising. That way the yeast is still ready to do it's thing, and you don't have to worry about air getting out and them turning into an de-levened mess.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you refrigerate them, make sure it's as close to freezing as possible. You want the yeast to be inactive, otherwise they'll rise again. The best choice would be freezing them, then thawing them the next morning, but it doesn't sound like you've got that much time.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Actually, freezing could work out pretty well. I can make them tomorrow instead of Sunday, stick them in the chest freezer in the basement, then thaw them overnight in her fridge. That way we can raise them the next day and make a fun semi-project out of finishing them instead of "Surprise, cinnamon buns!" That should work out pretty well, thanks guys.

Zifnab on