As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Night Watch Phalla] - Dark Ones - Game Over: Dark Ones Win!

• ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Exarch wrote: »
    Seems interesting, I can see every turn being a bit chaotic with a lot of 'what the hell is going on' going on.

I think that's a bit closer to the truth.

Nah, that'll be when the day one narration comes in and all hell has broken loose.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Edit: Never mind, MrBlarney is right.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When you go into the Twilight, is it just for the one turn or do you stay until you move out?
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Does entering your highest level of Twilight take a commitment of one spell point while you're in it, or does it just cost one point to enter, and you have full spell points next turn, or is it a permanent loss?

Being in the Twilight lasts for one turn. If you wish to be in the Twilight the next day, you must indicate such in your PM.

Thus, the answer to Plutonium's question is that you must spend a point for each turn you're in the Twilight.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can we get a little more clarification on Accusations and Deals?

Who determines whether a supposed breach is to be prosecuted, and who picks the prosecutor?

With regards to deals, it sounds like any player can make a deal which is effectively binding on his whole side. Is that right?

Claims that the Treaty has been violated are made by specific players of level 3 or more powerful. They submit to Maxim (playing the role of Inquisition) the name of the person who made the attack, and the person who was targeted. If the accusation holds true (i.e. Player A really did attack Player B) then Player A is punished, otherwise the prosecutor is penalized.

Deals are made between players on opposite sides, submitting to the Inquisition (played by Maxim) a bargain of their choice. Bargains typically allow players to cast attack spells without fear of being accused once; these bargains only apply to the players signing off on the deal. Should someone make an accusation against such a player, if they are protected by a deal, then the judgment returned is that no judgment can be made. Deals can also be made semi-retroactively: as an example, if Player A knows that Player B broke the treaty, rather than make an accusation, he can strike a deal with Player B to be able to violate the treaty himself, and give Player B immunity to accusations on that attack. Keep in mind that both players in a deal must consent; it helps to bargain before submitting to the Inquisition.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Our thread is totally ruling their thread.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Can we get a little more clarification on Accusations and Deals?

Who determines whether a supposed breach is to be prosecuted, and who picks the prosecutor?

With regards to deals, it sounds like any player can make a deal which is effectively binding on his whole side. Is that right?

Claims that the Treaty has been violated are made by specific players of level 3 or more powerful. They submit to Maxim (playing the role of Inquisition) the name of the person who made the attack, and the person who was targeted. If the accusation holds true (i.e. Player A really did attack Player B) then Player A is punished, otherwise the prosecutor is penalized.

Deals are made between players on opposite sides, submitting to the Inquisition (played by Maxim) a bargain of their choice. Bargains typically allow players to cast attack spells without fear of being accused once; these bargains only apply to the players signing off on the deal. Should someone make an accusation against such a player, if they are protected by a deal, then the judgment returned is that no judgment can be made. Deals can also be made semi-retroactively: as an example, if Player A knows that Player B broke the treaty, rather than make an accusation, he can strike a deal with Player B to be able to violate the treaty himself, and give Player B immunity to accusations on that attack. Keep in mind that both players in a deal must consent; it helps to bargain before submitting to the Inquisition.

I like MrBlarney's ruling better. Go with this.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ohhhhhhhh...I get it. So the light and dark people can make a deal so they are BOTH immune to prosecution for a single action for a single day. That makes a whole lot more sense- the light and dark guys each get to clean house a little more in a day, and noone can be prosecuted.

This makes more sense to me.

El Skid on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Our thread is totally ruling their thread.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So guys

Oh god rules

Oh well, I have an evening. Lets learn!

Gumpy on
    edited May 2008
    Crossposted from the Light thread:
    Rend wrote: »
    Maybe I missed this, but can we vote for members of the opposite thread? Or is that only through the prosecutor style thingie?

You can only vote for members of your own thread.

Accusations against members of the opposite alignment are a separate mechanic.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The depth is amazing. This game looks like it could be amazing.

Working today, so don't expect me to be to talkative. I'll be back around 10pm EST, but may be able to sporadically pop up here and there. By then, I should have a grasp on the rules.

Shamus on
    edited May 2008
    I assume deals are not limited to attacks? We can wheel and deal for information exchange?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    I assume deals are not limited to attacks? We can wheel and deal for information exchange?

You can make any side deals you want. The only deals that are sanctioned by the Inquisition, though, are deals regarding breaking the Treaty. And the only way you can break the Treaty (in this game) (as far as you guys know) is by attacking someone.

Please don't send a PM to Maxim telling him about how you exchanged knowledge of the Dark One's seer for the Light One's vigilante or something...

(Note: seer and vigilante roles may or may not exist)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hello everybody, I will catch up on the thread soon. I am on 24 hour duty so bleh.

M.D. on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Day 1: rules clarification.

Day 2: bloodbath. D:

Quoth on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What does "three times as powerful" mean? Is it just another way of saying three times as many surviving players, or are our power levels factored in somehow?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man this is awesome. I read the book and I'm STILL confused about whats goin on.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited May 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    What does "three times as powerful" mean? Is it just another way of saying three times as many surviving players, or are our power levels factored in somehow?

It means just what it says; "more powerful".

The information is out there to figure out exactly how we're going to judge that.

Edit: In other words, I'm not telling :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No doubt it has something to do with player levels.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    man this is awesome. I read the book and I'm STILL confused about whats goin on.

Kill the Dark Others fanatics. Unless you are one. Then kill the Light Others.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pip pip and wot wot, eh chaps? This should be very interesting.

Fembot on
  • Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fembot wrote: »
    Pip pip and wot wot, eh chaps? This should be very interesting.

Your avatar is incredible.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thank you, my good man. I considered some sort of top hat/tricorne-y pirate hat combination, but that would just be gilding the already stunning lily.

Fembot on
    edited May 2008
    Clarification: For the light and dark incentives. The de-materialization for the light ones state (1%)one percent but the information death for the dark ones is (10%) ten percent is that correct or is the light ones also (10%) ten percent?

M.D. on
    edited May 2008
    For the sake of game balance, I'd hope the stated values are correct. Things would get ugly in a hurry if one in ten Light Ones died every time they attacked anyone, while the one in ten shot for the dark side is only for successful vote kills against a fanatic, and then only on one player at most.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2008
    Lets go darkies!

Unknown User on
    edited May 2008
    About the win conditions, it seems to me that we have two starting strategies to pick from. The Inquisition is a problem in both cases, since according to the rules attacking our own side violates the Treaty too. So I guess we should just ignore the Inquisition for now.

1) Regard this as a race between two separate Phallas. We focus everything on finding our Fanatics and hope to find them all before we lose. If we do this, we should add an additional "vote" or "vig kill" by using whatever offensive abilities we have against suspicious Dark Ones. Given how little information we have on day one, people would probably be better off defending or hiding in Twilight today, and start playing aggressively tomorrow. Level 6 players, whose usefulness in the long run seems a bit questionable (since they're unable to both enter Twilight and cast a spell on the same day), might want to take some risks for the purpose of testing the game mechanics.

2) Go to war against the Light right from the start, focusing everything we have on them. Since they need to appoint a separate level 3 player as Prosecutor for each crime, and they can only have so many level 3 players, overwhelming the Inquisition seems doable. Just send in more attacks than they can possibly prosecute. But the Light would undoubtedly retaliate, in which case the game would effectively become all about win condition #1 again, since it doesn't seem likely that either side could gain a 3:1 advantage in a direct conflict.

So #2 would only work if the Light focuses on #1 and for some reason does not retaliate at all, which isn't realistic. Ergo, hunting down our Fanatics is the way forward for now. If the Light loses some of their high level dudes, things may change.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited May 2008
    About the win conditions, it seems to me that we have two starting strategies to pick from. The Inquisition is a problem in both cases, since according to the rules attacking our own side violates the Treaty too. So I guess we should just ignore the Inquisition for now.

1) Regard this as a race between two separate Phallas. We focus everything on finding our Fanatics and hope to find them all before we lose. If we do this, we should add an additional "vote" or "vig kill" by using whatever offensive abilities we have against suspicious Dark Ones. Given how little information we have on day one, people would probably be better off defending or hiding in Twilight today, and start playing aggressively tomorrow. Level 6 players, whose usefulness in the long run seems a bit questionable (since they're unable to both enter Twilight and cast a spell on the same day), might want to take some risks for the purpose of testing the game mechanics.

2) Go to war against the Light right from the start, focusing everything we have on them. Since they need to appoint a separate level 3 player as Prosecutor for each crime, and they can only have so many level 3 players, overwhelming the Inquisition seems doable. Just send in more attacks than they can possibly prosecute. But the Light would undoubtedly retaliate, in which case the game would effectively become all about win condition #1 again, since it doesn't seem likely that either side could gain a 3:1 advantage in a direct conflict.

So #2 would only work if the Light focuses on #1 and for some reason does not retaliate at all, which isn't realistic. Ergo, hunting down our Fanatics is the way forward for now. If the Light loses some of their high level dudes, things may change.

This analysis seems sound to me.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here's the problem: There are two strategies that are detrimental to eachother - committing to one strategy makes you weak to the other.

If we start going after the Fanatics, the light can simply decide to focus all on us and win by letting us whittle ourselves down - they can refrain from killing eachother and focus on us - with them losing only one per night to their vote, they'll easily outnumber us before we can get all the fanatics - though this depends on how many there are.

If we focus on the light, then they can either start gunning for us, or start gunning for their Fanatics, and it becomes a race.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    I concur!

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2008
    i am so happy i'm a dark one, this thread seems much more active then the light ones.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    edited May 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    i am so happy i'm a dark one, this thread seems much more active then the light ones.

Maybe they've set up proboards right from the start.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited May 2008
    if they did that does not bode well for us then does.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good strategic ideas we should use.

It's like a prisoner's dilemma. Of course if a bunch more of us get attacked tonight than those uncivilized guys in the Light thread, I think we have to retaliate.

Varcayn on
    edited May 2008
    I prefer to believe they are disorganized and suck.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, we don't want to be giving them ideas.

Plutonium on
    edited May 2008
    Bwah?

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2008
    Sweetness.

M.D. on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jebus! I have no clue what is going on. I'll have to catch on the rules when I get off of work because I'll never understand them in the 10 minutes I have left.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited May 2008
    I think we should reach 100 pages before the Light ones do.

M.D. on