As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On!] Haze - Demo for everyone! [NSF56K]

Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
933103_75682_front.jpg

Haze is a first-person shooter developed by Free Radical (see: TimeSplitters) and published by Ubisoft.

It is due out May 20th, 2008 for us NA folks and May 23rd, 2008 for our European brethren. It will be rated M for Mature.
Wikipedia wrote:
In the game, Mantel soldiers make use of Nectar, a performance-enhancing pharmaceutical drug that grants the user enhanced speed, accuracy and strength. Mantel uses this drug to control the minds of its soldiers. When administered, "Nectar" can control--among other things-- what a soldier sees, similar to the effects of a hallucinogenic drug. It makes enemies stand out against the darker grey background because "Nectar" causes soldiers to see the enemy combatants turn to a orange color, "Nectar" also drowns out the surrounding images of death and destruction. An overdose of Nectar is dangerous, with loss of mental control and death being its possible side-effects.

As revealed in a E³ 2007 trailer, Rebel soldiers may go in to a Play Dead state just before they are killed, allowing them to regenerate health and 'disappear' from the Mantel soldiers' sight, since they can't see dead people while on Nectar. In addition, they have been given the capability to exploit Mantel's dependence on nectar by attacking the nectar injector, extracting nectar to use on throwing knives from dead Mantel troopers and using the injector to create nectar grenades. They can also steal a Mantel trooper's gun, and bury grenades in the ground as mines.

This game should be goddamn awesome. Why? 4-player online and offline co-op.
Wikipedia wrote:
Haze is planned to feature a four-player split screen co-op mode as well as a four-player online co-op mode. At Ubidays, it was revealed that all four squad members were player enabled and could be played co-operatively by joining the game. Multiplayer can be played with one to three extra players through combinations of online, split-screen, or LAN.[4] Multiplayer games will also include narrative-based missions to complete, and the game will accommodate up to 16-player[5] online battles. In addition, the online multiplayer is split among two groups called Mantel and Rebels. Each side has its advantages. Nectar abilities allow Mantel troopers to easily distinguish friend from foe. The Rebels wield throwing knives coated in nectar that cause the Mantel troopers to overdose. In this overdose, Mantels cannot distinguish friend from foe, and may team kill. But, the Mantel side has increased nectar abilities which allow them strong melee attacks. To counter this, the Rebels can play dead. Each side also has their own special gun as well. Mantel has the rocket launcher whereas the Rebels have the Gatling gun and Flamethrower. Despite this, both sides can pick up guns from either side.

Here are some screenshots shamelessly stolen from IGN: (spoilered for huge)
haze-20080425015813749.jpg
haze-20080425015823139.jpg
haze-20080425015828686.jpg
haze-20080422084822648.jpg

As you can see, it is a pretty game. The blurring effect in the first shot is from Nectar, the drug that Mantel Corp uses on its troops. You can also see from these shots that there will be vehicles, and that the primary locale is a jungle.

Here are some videos:
There is a demo in the PSN store right now. It is 1.5gb. It has multiplayer enabled. Go get it.

steam_sig.png
Lord Yod on

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    okay this is pretty good

good job

Captain K on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why thank you kind sir.

Also by the way guys you don't need to be European to access their store. You can raid it, pirate-style, by creating an alternate account on your PS3. Simply list it with an address in Europe (I chose UK because I prefer to read things in English) You won't be able to buy anything (unless you have a credit card with a UK billing address) but it will work for free shit. Same thing goes for making a Japanese account.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Damn, I was hoping the other one was locked just because no one cares about Europe.

Khavall on
    edited May 2008
    This looks promising, but not only do I lack an EU PSN account, I also lack a PS3 altogether. drag.

Captain K on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just gonna quote myself here.
    The demo's good, but a little short considering the file size. Free Radical are great developers and it's good to see a new game from them.

Igort on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok yeah this shits all over my thread. Thanks for the switcheroo K.

Also, Im gonna grind the single player a bit before looking at the rest. its fun. thats all you can say. the nectar stuff is so integral to the game, when I assumed it was like some powerup akin to quake or something.

The_Scarab on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it fast paced, lke time splitters...damn that was an awesome game. I remember getting the first one for my ps2 in the early days. Anyway yeah what does it play like tactical? fast paced? Kinda has a f.e.a.r. look to the weapons in terms of graphics engine

Also scarab is that allison mack in your sig? I think that is her name

Dixon on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    about half way through downloading this, did I hear someone say the demo has coop? If so Fuck Yes!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited May 2008
    Its slower than Timesplitters. Plays like some of the SP missions from TS3 actually, only imagine it running at like 70% speed.

Makes me sad that they made this instead of a proper TS4.

TS2 is still on my top games ever list, like right near the top.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    The demo's good, but a little short considering the file size. Free Radical are great developers and it's good to see a new game from them.

If you ask me, creating TS2 gives you a lifetime free pass to keep making games.

Captain K on
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Its slower than Timesplitters. Plays like some of the SP missions from TS3 actually, only imagine it running at like 70% speed.

You know they're making TS4 as we speak, right?

Igort on
    edited May 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    about half way through downloading this, did I hear someone say the demo has coop? If so Fuck Yes!

I am told that the demo has multiplayer co-op fully enabled. If this is wrong, someone please correct me. (I'm at work and won't find out until about 6 hours from now)

This is the primary draw for me - I couldn't really care less about competitive multiplayer, but co-op is the shit.

Edit: This is what one of the guys in my clan has to say:
    Short demo but this game just went to the top of my must own list. The online system is flawless and fucking easy as hell, you have access to you friend list from anywhere, can host a room for up to 4 players co-op and even reserve slots for friends. One of the coolest features ever imo is the ability to play split screen co-op and then still play online with 2 other dudes, so I could be playing with my son and invite 2 of you suckers along for the ride.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008

Source.

I've been burned before. Don't toy with my heart.

If true, that is the second major gaming news I have somehow completely missed in as many days (the first being Rock Band is out here in 3 weeks and I had no clue haha)

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2008

Source.

If true, that is the second major gaming news I have somehow completely missed in as many days (the first being Rock Band is out here in 3 weeks and I had no clue haha)

They mentioned in a Playstation Magazine last month. I don't remember which one exactly. I'll go see if I have it and I'll scan it as it also had a little artwork for it. They also said if there's a high enough demand they'll redo TS2 in HD.

If I don't have it, my mate definitely will as he's a HUGE Timesplitters fan.

EDIT: Scanning it for you now, man.

Igort on
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looking forward to checking out this demo. Coming from the Timesplitters crew is probably the only thing that kept my interest in Haze as long as it has . . .

The Burnin8or on
    edited May 2008

Source.

They mentioned in a Playstation Magazine last month. I don't remember which one exactly. I'll go see if I have it and I'll scan it as it also had a little artwork for it. They also said if there's a high enough demand they'll redo TS2 in HD.

If I don't have it, my mate definitely will as he's a HUGE Timesplitters fan.

EDIT: Scanning it for you now, man.

Just PM me links when you upload em, not sure about the forums stance to scans though i know elsewhere they are not on.

Also, holy fucking shit. ts2 in hd. omg levels of hype now.

The_Scarab on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah the co-op is the big draw for this one. Haze may turn out to be one of the "banner titles" for proper co-op options.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude anyway you can PM me those scans! I wish to see them!
    Also scarab is that allison mack in your sig?

Dixon on
    edited May 2008
    I have read that they are doing timesplitters 4 as well...

92% :P

This and a Dark Sector demo (which I am ashamed to say I really enjoyed), the PSN just went up a notch in my book :D

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've got it queued up and downloading now, by short.. how short?

I mean, is it Heavenly Sword short? That was a short demo, over a gig and two platforms and then the demo ends. That is short.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Downloading right now but won't get a chance to play till tomorrow night.

I spotted this demo whilst looking at the nifty new video for "Siren"

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    awesome, i've been looking forward to this. but i have to write today

i suppose if it downloads while i'm listening to music or something there's not harm done, right?

aeeee

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

set up a jap account and download the playable demo for Siren

Ziggymon on
    edited May 2008
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

set up a jap account and download the playable demo for Siren

Weee, I have a JPN account but forget to check it often.

Cheers for that!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Why thank you kind sir.

Also by the way guys you don't need to be European to access their store. You can raid it, pirate-style, by creating an alternate account on your PS3. Simply list it with an address in Europe (I chose UK because I prefer to read things in English) You won't be able to buy anything (unless you have a credit card with a UK billing address) but it will work for free shit. Same thing goes for making a Japanese account.

you can buy stuff from the foreign stores as well. my friend has all kinds of psone games from the HK and Jap stores. i havent messed with it personally, but its possible.

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2008
    Unless you have a credit card with an away address then I've had no luck buying stuff.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah my understanding is that the billing address of the card needs to be in the same region of the account. Maybe when Playstation cards are released, they might work, but I expect you'll have to import them.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Anyway, this game, anyone had a game yet? I'll be free later on tonight if anyone wants a try.

Mr_Grinch on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is supposed to be hitting the US store a little later today, and I'm actually kind of excited about it. Haze is one of those games that I sort of forget about. When it pops up, I'm like "Oh yeah! Free Radical! This should be awesome!" Plus the release date is surprisingly soon.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited May 2008
    I've been downloading it for like 18 hours now... I think there may be something wrong with my internets. D: When I left for work this morning it was at about 85%, so I should be good to go tonight.

If you guys post your PSN's here I'll add them to the OP.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Yeah this'll go on the download list when I get home, but I think my wife would kill me if I played demos instead of letting her play the Monsters expansion.

EggyToast on
    edited May 2008
    Oh I forgot to post in this thread

Decent enough single player, nothing to special, fun enough though (its no halo killer blahblah)

Co-op online, lots of fun, ran really well (smooth), should be alot of fun playing through in this mode.

Split screen, good, no slowdown that I could see, quite impressed.

A deffo rental at least for single player, and a must buy if you want to coop!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited May 2008
    I've been playing too. Seems fun, but as you say nothing special. The nectar thing seems interesting enough but nothing special really

Mr_Grinch on
    edited May 2008
    Basically what these guys said. Very generic shooter, from what the demo shows at least. You tap L2 to activate nectar, which works kinda similar to the chimeran rage ability from R:FoM multiplayer. That seems to be the core mechanic. I'm going to try out the co-op tonight, but at this point if it weren't for the co-op/multiplayer features I wouldn't bother.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to try out the co-op tonight, but at this point if it weren't for the co-op/multiplayer features I wouldn't bother.

Ding ding ding. It seems that the latest way to differentiate "same ol' shooter" is to add co-op. Army of Two did it, and now Haze. It's an interesting approach, as I think people will tolerate boring or rote gameplay as long as they can play it with friends. The fact that the game offers 4 player co-op is an even bigger plus, although I wonder how different co-op like that will be from simply playing 4v4 (only w/ bots instead of humans).

Definitely a focus on the online play, since nothing about the story or gameplay is really unique or interesting (hey, you can press a button to make your enemies stand out! unless they play dead). If you have someone to play with (or 2 or 3), it's apparently one of the premiere titles. Not to mention the lack of co-op titles on PS3.

EggyToast on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There seems to be no bump mapping on the screenshots in the OP.

Why on earth is that?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was rather disappointed with this demo, at least the singleplayer portion, and it pains me to say that. It feels sort of awkward and clunky, and the lack of an aiming down the sight feature just feels wrong. I liked what they did with the HUD elements and the helmet being able to open and close, and the environment looks very pretty. It's also really static after playing, well, pretty much any shooter from last fall onward. Multiplayer will probably save this game, but it's just a shame that it doesn't feel better coming from Free Radical and after so many delays.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

This and a Dark Sector demo (which I am ashamed to say I really enjoyed), the PSN just went up a notch in my book :D
    I think my Dark Sector demo is bugged, I get to the section where the chain is locking the gate and nothing will open it, guns, grenades, the glaive, melee, etc. Did I miss something?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2008

I think my Dark Sector demo is bugged, I get to the section where the chain is locking the gate and nothing will open it, guns, grenades, the glaive, melee, etc. Did I miss something?

Not even remotely on-topic, but you hold down R2 for a second and release it when the crosshair turns yellow for a power throw.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Not even remotely on-topic, but you hold down R2 for a second and release it when the crosshair turns yellow for a power throw.
    It was only vaguely off topic, and yes I did that many many times, it must have just been bugged, which is not to out there of a theory seeing as the entire game is still supposedly very buggy.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/