As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

James Brown

SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
James Brown died today...

What're everyone's thoughts on 'The Godfather of Soul'?

I mean, I think he was a helluva singer...but he certainly had his faults...

Squirrelmob on

• Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I saw him earlier this year and he was really bad. I mean, well... considering how old he was, he was GOOD. But certainly far from his prime and didnt shake his groove thing like he used to. It was more of a shuffle of his groove thing with a few tired 'hey! yeah! ugh! yeah!' thrown in and then relying on his back up singers to make most of the song.

aquabat on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    OW

He don't feel good

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    OW

He don't feel good

....to soon.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Maybe Jesus asked for James Brown for Christmas

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

...two soon.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

...two soon.
    NOTHING IS SACRED

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    notdekknotdekk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Given the embarassing state he's been in for years now, it's not exactly surprising. When's the last time anyone's seen James Brown and was actually able to comprehend what he was going on about?

[spoiler:3d0941bb5e]It's a shame and he was awesome.[/spoiler:3d0941bb5e]

notdekk on
  • Options
    gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's a great loss.
    His contribution to music was immense.

gobassgo on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    is he arrest

LiveWire on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    James Brown was one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. It's such a shame to see him end his days a tired old alcoholic who couldn't string two words together...At least we still have his music.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

...two soon.
    NOTHING IS SACRED

Dude, you copied TFS. You cannot sink any lower now. :x

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TDL wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

...two soon.
    NOTHING IS SACRED

Dude, you copied TFS. You cannot sink any lower now. :x

TFS is a pretty cool dude.

TDL? Seemingly not so.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I like TFS... usually.

But his jokes? Not so much.

EDIT: Though that one was unusually high quality.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

...two soon.

I see what you did there.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I saw this on the news the other day and they opened it up with "The man who was more influential than the Beatles. Whos number of hits was beaten only by Elvis..."

Is it just or do both those sentances not sound true? I mean the first one, "More influential" will come down to opinion surely, but did he really have that many hits?

Jeedan on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jeedan wrote:
    I saw this on the news the other day and they opened it up with "The man who was more influential than the Beatles. Whos number of hits was beaten only by Elvis..."

Is it just or do both those sentances not sound true? I mean the first one, "More influential" will come down to opinion surely, but did he really have that many hits?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brown#Top_ten_singles

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I killed James Brown.

Sorry everyone.

I was driving on the highway on Sunday and I suddenly thought of James Brown and asked myself, "What if James Brown died?"

Then, he was dead.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, as far as pleasant anecdotes about James Brown goes, I have one.
    A few years ago, I was working a seasonal christmas position at an HMV. At the time, we had a fairly steady stream of christmas traffic going through the store, and many different varieties of music were being perused and purchased.

My manager, slid a James Brown CD into the store's player, and within less than 5 minutes, everyone was bopping their head to James Brown, regardless of their particular musical tastes.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't see what his personally life really has to do with anything. He's easily one of the most influential musicians who ever lived. Hip hop wouldn't exist without James Brown, and that's not any kind of exaggeration. He's a brilliant man and his music is incredible, and I mourn his passing.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/share?v=bs1HUbMCZKc&embed=1

James Brown = 1

White people = 0

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    From another James Brown thread:
    Old news. I knew about this 15 years ago. Get with the times, gawd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_6q9DcSiM

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    He was one of the most sampled artists ever. Practically anything with a horn sample was his.

aquabat on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Here's a good reminiscing of James, for those looking to maybe learn a little more about why he's so revered.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DeckmanDeckman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow, and he and Whitney like just split up. :(

Deckman on
  • Options
    SeptimiusSeptimius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I find it hard to celebrate the life of a wife beater. Yet he made music, so all is forgiven, right?

Septimius on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Septimius wrote:
    I find it hard to celebrate the life of a wife beater. Yet he made music, so all is forgiven, right?

Umm...

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Septimius wrote:

Umm...

:?

Septimius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Septimius wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Septimius wrote:

Umm...

:?

Unless he used his music to beat his wife, I don't see how the two are related.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    My point is that when a celebrity dies they are given such awed praise. Watching the news at Christmas was painful. Every pundit couldn't wait to tell you what a great man he was, somebody who beats his wife with a broom handle isn't much of a man.

I can understand people enjoying his music. It hasn't been done here, but I don't like how the wrong doing of famous people gets brushed aside.

Septimius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Septimius wrote:
    My point is that when a celebrity dies they are given such awed praise. Watching the news at Christmas was painful. Every pundit couldn't wait to tell you what a great man he was, somebody who beats his wife with a broom handle isn't much of a man.

I can understand people enjoying his music. It hasn't been done here, but I don't like how the wrong doing of famous people gets brushed aside.

No, he's simply praised for what he was famous for, which was not beating his wife with a broom handle. When Mel Gibson dies he will be praised as a great actor, not for what he said about Jews in his drunken stupor.

Unless they are blatant criminals, I would rather remember people for their good deeds. They are already dead.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Septimius wrote:

No, he's simply praised for what he was famous for, which was not beating his wife with a broom handle. When Mel Gibson dies he will be praised as a great actor, not for what he said about Jews in his drunken stupor.

Unless they are blatant criminals, I would rather remember people for their good deeds. They are already dead.

What do you mean "No"? When people talk about his music, I don't have a problem. There were people describing what a great human being he was, that is what I object to.

Septimius on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well this unleashed a new wave of jokes, as coincidently I share the same name, and this has lead to a nickname of Soulman.

It has lead to my friends at first wondering whether I was dead or not.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MAN... This has not been a good year for me. First my dad dies (on chirstmas eve), and now one of my favorite singers is gone...

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MAN... This has not been a good year for me. First my dad dies (on chirstmas eve), and now one of my favorite singers is gone...

Please tell me you're not serious and are in fact just taking a subtle shot at celebrity hero worship because otherwise you've destroyed every last scrap of whatever christmas cpirit I have.

Please?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My dad grew up around the corner from James Brown.

That's all I really have to contribute. But I like the slight connection.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Septimius wrote:

Uh

James Brown is a colossal figure in the music world. His music has profoundly affected almost every genre in America today, from the roots of rock to being one of the bedrocks that hip-hop was founded on.

Are you retarded?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Please tell me you're not serious and are in fact just taking a subtle shot at celebrity hero worship because otherwise you've destroyed every last scrap of whatever christmas cpirit I have.

Please?

I shit you not. Gastric Bypass surgury is a bitch. Don't ever have it..

What really pisses me off is that he didn't have to have the surgury.
    The doctors said he had a perfectly good heart (despite his size), and his Type 2 Diabetes and Sleep Apnea were under good control... But then he heard Gastric Bypass was a "cure" of sorts to Type 2 Diabetes. And he jumped on the "completely fuck up your stomach and turn it to the size of your asshole, at the expense of being thin" bandwagon almost instantly. He had the surgury for no one else but his loving wife and 19 and 16 year-old sons (even though one of those kids, myself, knew of and warned him of the risks).
    He thought he was adding more years to his life (to be around his loving wife and 19 and 16 year-old sons), but the man didn't even last one whole month after it (had it somewhere in november). In the end, pulmonary embolism was what took his life (my mom told me he told the doctors to check him for this, and they scheduled it. They were too late. He was right). Sorry for the livejournal rant, but we just buried him today. I guess I'll go ahead and make this post in honor of my dad, the man who introduced me into the world of computers, video games (I remember me and my brother used to play Ducks ahoy on his old Commodore 64), and Anime (it was him who showed me Akira at the tender age of 6). He was 54..

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS