As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Pax Breakfast (Pike Place) NOW WITH PICS!

MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
A bunch of folks are getting together as a group for a pre-PAX breakfast at Pike Place on Friday Morning. We are going to meet at 9 AM on the corner of 6th and Pike near the convention center. That'll give us time to walk down there (it takes about 10 minutes), get breakfast, and have time to come back and get in line early for PAX if we want. I think it will be a great chance for PAX newbies to meet new people and see the sites. All are welcome! There's no need to sign up, just come and enjoy! There are lots of great restaurants so we could all split up and eat whatever we like. That way we don't crash a single restaurant and have to wait hours for our food! I tried to list some information for the restaurants who's names were not self explanatory! :lol:

The available restaurants and their prices are (Note: All restaurants will be open by 9AM unless noted):

Athenian Inn (Diner with traditional seafood fare)
Moderate ($11-30)
Bacco Bistro & Cafe (Italitan)
Moderate ($11-30)
Bayou on 1st (Cajun & Creole)
Moderate ($11-30)
Cafe Campagne (Opens @11)
Moderate ($11-30)
Crepe de France (Opens @10)
Cheap (<$10)
Crumpet Shop (Delicious crumpets) - Highly Recommended
Cheap (<$10)
DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine (Small Italian Cafe)
Expensive ($31-60)
Emerald Kettle (Diner)
Moderate ($11-30)
Good Deal Deli & Espresso
Moderate ($11-30)
Le Panier (French Bakery)
Cheap (<$10)
Lowell's Restaraunt & Bar (General Restaurant)
Moderate ($11-30)
Pike Place Bagel (Bakery)
Cheap (<$10)
Pike Place Bar & Grill (Now with all you can eat waffles!)
Moderate ($11-30)
Sabra Mediterranean
Moderate ($11-30)
Sestos Cafe & Coffee House
Cheap (<$10)
Sisters Cafe
Cheap(<$10)
Soundview Café
Moderate ($11-30)
Three Girls Bakery
Cheap (<$10)

(Note: Prices are averages. Breakfasts are typically cheaper)

For more info on the restaurants, see the Pike Place Website or just search one of the great restaurant review sites online.

(Note: This thread originally came from the CCSW (Cross City Super Walk) thread titled: This is probably a terrible idea.)

I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

MR.T on

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This event is not affiliated with the bacon-waffly Pre-PAX breakfast at the Original Pancake House organized by Tonkka.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nope. Just some folks getting together to get some yummy breakfast at Pike Place.

MR.T on
  • deathheaddeathhead Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    The wife and I are attending for our first time this year, I think we'd probably be interested in going to breakfast, would be nice to meet a few people before going into a crowded convention center and not knowing anyone :)

deathhead on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This sounds like fun - I'm trying to get down on the Pre-PAX movie, the Pre-PAX dinner, and now hopefully the pre-PAX Breakfast Run, as well as as many during- and post-PAX events as I can. =)

Imperfect on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I might abandon the Original Pancake House for this, especially since I love crumpets.

Edit: Note to non-locals: it's "Pike Place" not "Pike's Place".

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    I think the OP needs a good list of places to eat in Pike Place. Also, I think the goal for this run should be to not completely overwhelm any single establishment to the point where everybody's waiting 1,000 hours for their food.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Actually, I'd be up for this too. Sounds like fun and food is food . . . Drool.

@ deathhead: Feels good to know that I'm not the only one from Ottawa heading down to PAX

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
    edited May 2008
    I totally agree with Moe. We're not out to ruin someone's day. We want people to be impressed by PAX attendees. We could all meet up and walk to Pike Place (Thanks Electric Turtle :oops: ), then split up and eat whatever type of food sounds good to us. I'm sure whoever is interested in the shock value would get that from the nerd herd all walking to Pike Place!

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    Pike Place Breakfast Restaurants (from their website. Thanks Electric Turtle!) 8-)

Athenian Inn
    Bacco Bistro & Cafe
    Bayou on 1st
    Cafe Campagne
    Crepe de France
    Crumpet Shop
    DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine
    Emerald Kettle
    Le Panier
    Lowell's Restaraunt & Bar
    Pike Place Bagel
    Pike Place Bar & Grill
    Sabra Mediterranean
    Sisters Cafe
    Soundview Café
    Three Girls Bakery

It looks like there are plenty of choices. Any recommendations?

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    Aside from the aforementioned Crumpet Shop (where I will certainly be going), I can recommend the Soundview and Three Girls Bakery. The Athenian and Lowell's are very well known thanks to being featured in Sleepless in Seattle, but I've never been there myself. They must do something right to have been around as long as they have.

Places to potentially avoid: I found the service at Crepe de France appropriately shoddy. If you like French service as well as French food try your luck. Also my wife swears she saw waitstaff at Pike Place Bar & Grill pouring half consumed waters back into the water pitcher. We'll never go back there.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    Pike Place Breakfast Restaurants (from their website. Thanks Electric Turtle!) 8-)

Athenian Inn
    Bacco Bistro & Cafe
    Bayou on 1st
    Cafe Campagne
    Crepe de France
    Crumpet Shop
    DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine
    Emerald Kettle
    Le Panier
    Lowell's Restaraunt & Bar
    Pike Place Bagel
    Pike Place Bar & Grill
    Sabra Mediterranean
    Sisters Cafe
    Soundview Café
    Three Girls Bakery

It looks like there are plenty of choices. Any recommendations?
    You should edit those into your first post so people can see them without having to search the thread for them. Also, which one of those places has the all you can eat Belgian waffles?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    The Daily Dozen is the best donut shop in Seattle. It's located at the market, next to the news stand. Better for a snack than a meal, but everyone needs to check it out.

Doc on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also my wife swears she saw waitstaff at Pike Place Bar & Grill pouring half consumed waters back into the water pitcher. We'll never go back there.

Eww... hepatitastic! =) Yeah, I'll be steering clear of that one. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited May 2008
    Also my wife swears she saw waitstaff at Pike Place Bar & Grill pouring half consumed waters back into the water pitcher. We'll never go back there.

I've seen waitstaff do that just so they can carry the water and glasses back to the sink more easily without spilling.

Doc on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Doc wrote: »

I've seen waitstaff do that just so they can carry the water and glasses back to the sink more easily without spilling.

I was thinking the same thing.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited May 2008
    Ahh... well if it was done while the water was on its way out, that's one thing. I assumed he meant that they did it while the water was on its way *in* (as in going to a customer). Otherwise, it's no big deal at all.

VThornheart on
    edited May 2008
    Moe, your wish is my command! :winky: The first post has the list of restaurants now. Does anyone have a time preference? I was thinking 8AM but that might be too early for some people. I probably will be too excited to sleep too much the morning before PAX! We could do 9AM, though for those who may want to sleep in. Travel can really take it out of you!

MR.T on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Count me in! Im definately Pro-Breakfast....too bad I have to be awake in the morning to enjoy it.
    I'll have three others too that may join if they can wake up.

Sakebomb on
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd be down for breakfast, but ya 9:00 is early

Mustard Tiger on
  • sarranadesarranade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude, I'd be down for that! The Daily Dozen is indeed the best donut shop in Seattle. 9am is early enough to get them piping hot too. There's also Crepe Voila right outside the convention center that makes really tasty crepes.

sarranade on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll be at the convention center at 8/earlier. Have a delicious hearty breakfast and I'll catch you guys later.

... Someone wanna grab me a hombow? :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2008
    Mustard Tiger: Well, we were thinking 9AM so we would have plenty of time to get back and get in line early if anyone wanted.

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    9am is good for me, particularly because, according to my body, it's actually noon at 9am PDT.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2008
    Moe has spoken. 9 AM it is! If anyone wants to show up later, I'm sure we won't be hard to spot at Pike Place. We'll be the cool looking crowd with an excess of gamer gear and electronics! 8-)

MR.T on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Moe has spoken. 9 AM it is! If anyone wants to show up later, I'm sure we won't be hard to spot at Pike Place. We'll be the cool looking crowd with an excess of gamer gear and electronics! 8-)

Yeah if anyone gets lost just look for the big glow eminating from all the DS's 8-)

Sakebomb on
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mustard Tiger: Well, we were thinking 9AM so we would have plenty of time to get back and get in line early if anyone wanted.

I was thinking I'll probably be hung over and I'm not worried about the line. I dont have to be the first one in.

Mustard Tiger on
    edited May 2008
    See I figure if I'm ever lost or bored at PAX, I can just whip out Pictochat, jump in a channel and ask "Who's doing something awesome, and where?" and I'll be set for the next hour or so.

Imperfect on
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    See I figure if I'm ever lost or bored at PAX, I can just whip out Pictochat, jump in a channel and ask "Who's doing something awesome, and where?" and I'll be set for the next hour or so.

8====D

Doc on
    edited May 2008
    Doc, that's an EXCELLENT point.

But I mean, I won't be bored!

Imperfect on
    edited May 2008
    ElectricTurtle: Excuse my ignorance but what are these delicious crumpets of which you speak?

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    ElectricTurtle: Excuse my ignorance but what are these delicious crumpets of which you speak?

The Crumpet Shop FTW.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2008
    Yum! I may have to try those!

MR.T on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Green Eggs & Ham crumpet is particularly delicious. And if you get there during Happy Hour (7-8:30 am) any latte is $2. GREAT way to start the day.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2008
    It sounds like there are tons of great choices for breakfast. A great breakfast is just what eveyone needs before a exciting day at PAX!

MR.T on
  • CaelestoCaelesto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Recalling the last walk down to Pike Place for breakfast with the Sealab crew, I am most definitely in. Of course I'm an event whore anyway, so I'll be everywhere this year...including at breakfast! I sure do love my waffles.

Caelesto on
    In all likelihood, this is my fault. If the current situation is not my fault, please let me know as soon as possible so that I may rectify this oversight. Thank you.
    ~The Management
    edited May 2008
    Welcome Caelesto! I'm getting way excited to meet some people in the flesh. I'm a Pax newbie and this will be a great chance for us to meet some new people and make some friends before the craziness begins! For those who have been to Pax before, where is a good spot to meet. Is there like a main entrance to the convention center or an easy to find landmark nearby?

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    The corner of 6th and Pike should be good, it's right outside the Sheraton, a block from the convention center and we can just walk straight down Pike to Pike Place.

edit: also, MR T., you should trim down this picture of Mr. T for your avatar, if you're going to go about pitying fools and all.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am interested at the moment (I may be coming with an entourage of 5 or so.)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd probably be down with this, depending on when I manage to wake up that is.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited May 2008
    We'll be going to Pike Place for the Magical Mystery Tour that day anyways... so I'll bring it up to the group. I imagine they'd be down for it, so we'll probably see you guys there! ;)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.