As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] The internet is jerks

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Is it fairly standard around here that people can't share their viewpoints and opinions on a subject without having the agenda of trying to convince others they are right and change their views?

Because if that's how most of the forum rolls, this place might not be for me.
    It's a debate forum; there's an implied adversarial structure, so you don't really get to play "I think X but that's not really something I feel like debating". I mean, it's cool that you think X, and it's cool that you don't want to debate it, but this is a bit like taking a soccer ball into a field and getting offended when people mistake that for intention to, you know, play
    There's also the matter of discussion of politics in general pretty much centering around deciding who's right. That's why it's ill-advised to discuss politics with people you're not willing to argue with. Like, it's not unique to this forum or even the internet, that's why it's a social faux pas to discuss politics in polite company. Seriously, Pony, what led you to believe that a political thread in a debate forum would be less adversarial than a real-life politics-discussion?

I've discussed politics with people without them comparing me to Hitler and asking me how I'd run the world and then when I couldn't say, they felt it rendered everything I've said invalid.

But I guess maybe I'm used to hangin' with classier gents.

I don't know.

Pony on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Is it fairly standard around here that people can't share their viewpoints and opinions on a subject without having the agenda of trying to convince others they are right and change their views?

It's a debate forum; there's an implied adversarial structure, so you don't really get to play "I think X but that's not really something I feel like debating". I mean, it's cool that you think X, and it's cool that you don't want to debate it, but this is a bit like taking a soccer ball into a field and getting offended when people mistake that for intention to, you know, play

I've always been of the view that you can debate a subject without actually trying to "beat" the other person, prove yourself right, or prove them wrong. Often times you learn a lot just by comparing and analysing each other's beliefs and views on a subject.

Sometimes when I play sports, I just play them because I enjoy them and who wins and loses isn't important.

But it's not about winning or losing here either. Most of the time it's about learning. To debate a subject without actually debating it is more like standing stockstill on the field and only kicking the ball when it happens to bump into your feet. If we're still doing the soccer thing, then - there's still an attack and a defense, even if no-one is keeping score.
    Yeah, it's not a lot of fun to play a game with someone who isn't even going to try.

ViolentChemistry on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:

There's also the matter of discussion of politics in general pretty much centering around deciding who's right. That's why it's ill-advised to discuss politics with people you're not willing to argue with. Like, it's not unique to this forum or even the internet, that's why it's a social faux pas to discuss politics in polite company. Seriously, Pony, what led you to believe that a political thread in a debate forum would be less adversarial than a real-life politics-discussion?

I've discussed politics with people without them comparing me to Hitler and asking me how I'd run the world and then when I couldn't say, they felt it rendered everything I've said invalid.

But I guess maybe I'm used to hangin' with classier gents.

I don't know.
    Classy and timid are not synonyms.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know I think the word passive aggressive gets used too much. I think people should use it less. My point is, Pony you seem like a pretty whiny guy. If someone is being a cunt to you just call him a cunt and get on with talking.

Low Key on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, man, it's not a real argument unless someone gets compared to hitler.

I'm gonna go find a certain cartoon by S_O which I really enjoy.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    But it's not about winning or losing here either.

You would say that after that wicked arse kicking I gave you.

Low Key on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    You know I think the word passive aggressive gets used too much. I think people should use it less. My point is, Pony you seem like a pretty whiny guy. If someone is being a cunt to you just call him a cunt and get on with talking.

Ain't about that, dude. It's more about me not really understand the hostility or where it comes from or shit, even what it is they want from me really. Tynic helped a good bit with that last part there by just straight up saying it clearly, and I appreciate that.

Pony on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm always disappointed in Presidential Debates. Not one of them ever bothers to call the other a flaming cuntrag.

Senjutsu on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    I liked Samurai Champloo.

I've never liked people that named themselves after fictional people, though. I mean, I can maybe understand it in a video game, but not on a forum.

What about people who accidentally name themselves after countries?

LaOs on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Tynic helped a good bit with that last part there by just straight up saying it clearly, and I appreciate that.

So maybe you should, you know, do something about it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited December 2006
    LaOs wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

I've never liked people that named themselves after fictional people, though. I mean, I can maybe understand it in a video game, but not on a forum.

You should change your title to "The Laotian Commotion"

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

Oh, yeah? Well, your city ... has limited resources for entertainment!

tynic on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LaOs wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

How did you decide on this name? I have actually always been curious as to how you settled on it.

Actually that is true for pretty much every poster.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    LaOs wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

You should change your title to "The Laotian Commotion"
    But then people might think I am Asian again.

Although, I do enjoy the rhyme...

LaOs on
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    LaOs wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

How did you decide on this name? I have actually always been curious as to how you settled on it.

We did a thread for that, once.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Ain't about that, dude. It's more about me not really understand the hostility or where it comes from or shit, even what it is they want from me really. Tynic helped a good bit with that last part there by just straight up saying it clearly, and I appreciate that.

What hostility though? You told some guy he was wrong. Some other guys told you that you were wrong. The Greek Chorus started chanting in the background and that was it. If the worst thing that happens is that someone tells you should shouldn't be running a global dictatoship that is pretty much a fucking tea party of a thread.

Low Key on
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    LaOs wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

I was in a gaming guild, centred mostly around Diablo, and I was just thinking of "cool" sounding names. So I came up with, eventually, La-Os, pronounced "lay-ohs." I dropped the hyphen after some years because hyphens are a pain in the ass.

It wasn't for a great number of years (in internet terms... so, like three or four, I guess) of using the name online that I learned/realised it was a real fucking country.

I know, I r teh dum!

LaOs on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I'm always disappointed in Presidential Debates. Not one of them ever bothers to call the other a flaming cuntrag.
    Wait until I announce my nomination in 2023. Before I begin my opening statement, I will ask those with delicate constitutions to leave the room.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

What hostility though? You told some guy he was wrong. Some other guys told you that you were wrong. The Greek Chorus started chanting in the background and that was it. If the worst thing that happens is that someone tells you should shouldn't be running a global dictatoship that is pretty much a fucking tea party of a thread.
    4 srs.

I found what I was looking for, finally. I think someone needs to be given some pointed words about their archiving system.

00002.gif

tynic on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I'm disappointed no one's done it in Australian parliament yet. I mean come on people, we weren't founded by convicts for nothing!

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

How I dream of the rocking Capital City social scene, sandwiched between the junkies and the bureucrats, where there's a party on every street and a spring in every step.

Low Key on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

I agree. Until there's a general consensus that you've probably raped and killed at least three prostitutes, it's strictly threat level plaid.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I'm disappointed no one's done it in Australian parliament yet. I mean come on people, we weren't founded by convicts for nothing!
    To be fair, they've got damned close on occasion.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    Oh tynic, what are you doing for New Years this year? You must have some rager of a party to attend/plan, right? Lots of the drinking and whatnot? I am in need of inspiration.

LaOs on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    00002.gif
    :lol:

Senjutsu on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I see it as a sign of progress. Once internet insults make their way into parliamentry debate I'll now my government is being run by people I can relate to, if only to call them cockhammers.

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

I agree. Until there's a general consensus that you've probably raped and killed at least three prostitutes, it's strictly threat level plaid.
    Nobody's dragging shit from other, best forgotten threads to berate you with, either. And the name-calling has been fairly low level. I mean, just earlier today I was called an ass and did I let it bother me? Of course not!

edit: Of course, that was from a throat-rendingly stupid ignoramous, so it kind of rolled off my back a bit. But still. Point stands.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

How I dream of the rocking Capital City social scene, sandwiched between the junkies and the bureucrats, where there's a party on every street and a spring in every step.
    Hey, hey.

We've got the national mint.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Oh God, who was the National Part MP with the speech impediment? That is one of the greatest quotes ever.

After some long winded speech about the country- "I am, after all, a country member."

Someone yells from the back of the gallery- "Oh, we remember all right!"

We've got the classiest politicians in the world, here in God's own country.

Low Key on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Oh God, who was the National Part MP with the speech impediment? That is one of the greatest quotes ever.

After some long winded speech about the country- "I am, after all, a country member."

Hahahahaha one of us

The closest we got in Canada was Trudeau telling that dude to fuck off under his breath.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

:lol: Man, I remember that!

I kind of like the national party. If it weren't for them the redneck idiot demographic would have to have spokespeople without corks on their hats.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

Hey, hey.

We've got the national mint.

Delicious

Low Key on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Hahahahaha one of us

The closest we got in Canada was Trudeau telling that dude to fuck off under his breath.

Did you miss the whole McKay/Belind/dog incident? I mean, I honestly think it was nothing major, but the media sure loved it.

LaOs on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:

I kind of like the national party. If it weren't for them the redneck idiot demographic would have to have spokespeople without corks on their hats.

Was it Doug Anthony? Is that where the Doug Anthony All Stars got their inspiration from?

Low Key on
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

Was it Doug Anthony? Is that where the Doug Anthony All Stars got their inspiration from?
    I'll try a google.

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    tynic: New Years??

LaOs on
    edited December 2006
    According to google and Gough Whitlam, it was Sir Winton Turnbull.

t Laos: No idea, I'm afraid :P

tynic on
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    According to google and Gough Whitlam, it was Sir Winton Turnbull.

t Laos: No idea, I'm afraid :P

Dinger. I thought you would have some gems for me to ripoff.

LaOs on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i tried to show my friend Humanimals and he replied "the homoeroticism element is a little too high for me"

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.