As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"No!" says Hollywood, "It belongs in the theatres!" BioShock: The Movie

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Octavian wrote: »
    Shouldn't the thread title just be something like, "No, says Hollywood, it belongs in Theaters"?

I also think as long as they only use the setting from the game and write a new plot, it has a chance. Although currently the only game-movie adaptation I am interested in is "American McGee's Alice". I hope that eventually gets made.

Done, my good man.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dammit, I had a Bioshock nightmare. (Lots of outrunning flaming oil on the floor.) The movie needs to balance out the history and storytelling with nightmarish dystopia horror.

This is one of the reason Bioshock felt so great to me. It's patterned exactly after how my nightmares play out. The lack of information for the majority of it, darkness, constantly coming back to life after dying, it really was like playing through a nightmare.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    :^: New Title.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whatever the do with the movie, the opening must have a monatage of the building up of Rapture as Andrew Ryan launches into his spiel.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    :^: New Title.
    It should probably be "the man in Hollywood," but that's just being anal.

And oh how I do love to be anal.

Monger on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, my only demand of this movie is that they recreate the first bathysphere trip on the way down to Rapture in perfect detail. Most epic opening to a game I've ever played, and after seeing it in the demo it's directly responsible for my purchase.

EDIT:
    Pretty much completely and totally off-topic, but how awesome would it be if they made a Portal movie, that pretty much just centered around GLaDOS as she screwed around with test subjects?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think they should make it into a musical.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think they should make it into a musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KM2HosqOo

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gary Oldman for Andrew Ryan.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    Gore Verbinski directing means that it will probably be good. Pirates trilogy, The Ring, The Weatherman... all fantastic movies.

First 2 Pirate Movies? Yes

Other Movies? Nope

Algertman on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Stolls wrote: »
    I want to believe this can be good.

I really, really want to believe.

On the other hand, if they can get a half-decent actor to play Fontaine this time, it may yet have a chance of not sucking. Everything he said in the game made me cringe, and not for the reasons it was supposed to.
    Since you are posting, I guess I can add that I'd totally go see a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie. Less artsy than the original based off of Roadside Picnic and more post-apocalypse and it'd be great. But Hollywood would probably make it about a virus that produced fast-moving zombies. :(

[EDIT] Oh shit, I hope they don't do that to Bioshock.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I liked the first Pirates movie, and The Weather Man was a decent surprise. I liked in particular how enthusiastic he seemed to be about directing the project; instead of giving some canned line like "I love the blank blank blank about this," he actually talked about the art deco style and Big Daddies/Little Sisters.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I should play Bioshock then? I've had my 360 for almost 4 months now and the only game I've bought for it is The Orange Box.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    In a perfect world, the STALKER movie would have the same look and visual style as Children of Men, specifically the long take action scene towards the end.

Urian on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm so sick of shooters though. The couple of times I've gone out to buy a 360 game everything that looked interesting involved shooting a gun in the first or third perspective.

I typically meander over to the Wii or DS section eventually.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Isn't the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. based on a film anyway?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm so sick of shooters though. The couple of times I've gone out to buy a 360 game everything that looked interesting involved shooting a gun in the first or third perspective.

I typically meander over to the Wii or DS section eventually.

It's as much of a shooter as Metroid Prime is. Get it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Isn't the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. based on a film anyway?

Based on the book Roadside Picnic and film Stalker, yes.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oohh, this should be good. I really was interested in Bioshock, but I couldn't get into the gameplay.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just recently bought Bioshock having never played either of the System Shocks. Holy crap was I impressed with the level of detail that basically brought the game to life. I just recently got my friend to play it and he's been sucked in as well. Good to hear that the movie will be in good hands, if it turns out as good or better than the Silent Hill movie then I'll be happy. : )

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

On the other hand, if they can get a half-decent actor to play Fontaine this time, it may yet have a chance of not sucking. Everything he said in the game made me cringe, and not for the reasons it was supposed to.
    Since you are posting, I guess I can add that I'd totally go see a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie. Less artsy than the original based off of Roadside Picnic and more post-apocalypse and it'd be great. But Hollywood would probably make it about a virus that produced fast-moving zombies. :(

If they have a guy going "GET OUT OF HERE STALKER" no less than six times, I would pay $texas to see the movie even if it were a horribly mutated (har!) version of the source material.

But yeah, I'd definitely be up for a good modern adventure flick set in the Zone.

Also, the virus will come from Mars.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

If they have a guy going "GET OUT OF HERE STALKER" no less than six times, I would pay $texas to see the movie even if it were a horribly mutated (har!) version of the source material.

But yeah, I'd definitely be up for a good modern adventure flick set in the Zone.

Also, the virus will come from Mars.

I would hope they follow the game pretty closely

"Don't just stand there, come in!" for a straight 30 minutes.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    In a perfect world, the STALKER movie would have the same look and visual style as Children of Men, specifically the long take action scene towards the end.

I like the way you think.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In a perfect world STALKER would actually be a finished game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hope they keep Sander Cohen and his breakdown about pulling the ears off. Easily my favorite tape.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Wild Bunny, the puppy-killing recording, Suchong getting killed, and the McClintock sidestory all need to find their way into the film.

Heck, people are talking about wanting to see the fall of Rapture, just make the movie about McClintock.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Meatshie1dMeatshie1d Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GODDAMN SPLOICERS!

Meatshie1d on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    WOULD YOU KINDLY GO IN THERE AND KILL THAT SON OF A BITCH!

That line was so hilariously awkward until you know the twist.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silent Hill was a creepy flick with a happy ending that made me leave the theater smiling with joy.
    A little girl who was sacrificed by a freaky christian cult becomes a ghost bent on getting revenge which she finally accomplishes via convincing the ghost of someone who died to sneak her inside their church so she can flay the freaky christian cult members with barbed wire. Oh, and using said barbed wire rend the cult leader into giblets.

It doesn't get happier than that.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just hope they don't do something stupid like change it from demons from Hell to an alien zombie virus and missing chromosome.

Please stay true. Bioshock was my favorite game last year.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As long as The Boll is not involved, I'm happy. My expectations on Hollywood are very low and my expectations on game movies even lower, so... maybe this will work.

I think they should just take TV's Frank's Bioshock LP and splice it together into a movie. Nothing could be more awesome that the mutant who teleports into the fire and dies.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format. So I can't see how this would be good.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Worst case scenario: Michael Clark Duncan as Big Daddy.

Dakota "All I do is scream" Fanning as Little Sister.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Now, that's not fair.

She stares and goes catatonic, too.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dakota fanning would be a grea tlittle sister

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    dakota fanning would be a grea tlittle sister

Seconded, she gets to be the one that gets harvested!

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »

Now, that's not fair.

She stares and goes catatonic, too.

Just like a little sister!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jenna Jameson for the zombie stripper!

Oh wait, wrong movie...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just recently bought this game after having beat it back when it came out at a friend's house.
    I love the story, and all the little details, and I think this could make for a top notch movie.
    The one thing that will be hard is changing the perspective as all this happening to 'You' to 'some dude'.
    I wonder I wonder who they will cast...

Local H Jay on