As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick question regarding optical illusions

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
At least I think it classifies as an optical illusion - can anyone tell me what the name is for that printing method where it looks as though the image is changing as you move it? As an example, it's the technique used on the front and back cover of the Doctor Who New Series II Boxset. It's also used in all manner of toys, book covers, etc.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Not having seen those covers, just by your description, I am guessing you are talking about a Hologram.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That's what I thought it was, but this is in full colour whereas the holograms I remember from my youth were... well, they were colour but not quite... Visionaries chest plates.

That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the one with the very thin strips - almost like scanlines - that seems to fade between one picture and another as you move it.

Squirminator2k on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You're looking for Lenticular lenses.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dat's der bunny. Thanks.

(I have no idea why, but whenever I tried to think of the word my brain would lean towards "rotoscoping", which is most definitely not the word I was looking for.)

Squirminator2k on