As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me fix my PS2?

DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
My husband and I bought my sister's old PS2 and accesories from her when we were home over break. We were very excited about this, and planned each other's Christmas presents accordingly (I got him the two more recent Prince of Persia games, he got me Guitar Hero).

However, when we tried to plug in and play the DDR games my sister gave us along with the console, we found that the system wouldn't read the memory card she'd provided. So we went out and bought a new memory card and tried again the next day - but it wouldn't read that one either. Apparently something is wrong with the card reader itself. We tried blowing dust or what-have-you out of it, but to no avail. :(

So, my questions to H/A are: is this something that's likely to be fixable? Who should I try taking it to first, Geek Squad or the local pre-played game store? How much is it likely to cost to fix?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DiscGrace on

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    sounds like it's busted and won't work ever. The only way to fix this would be to send it to sony, but since it's used it's gonna cost you. Have you asked your sister about this? Do both slots no work?

EDIT - Don't take it to Geek Squad because they'll look at you funny seeing how they fix computers and not videogame consoles. I don't know any big chain stores that could help this problem really.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    MentholMenthol Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think that Electronics boutique/gamestop can fix consoles. I know that the ones around here sell refurbished machines.

but i don't know if they'll fix one for you, or what kind of labor costs you're looking at if they do. Your best bet would probably be to give them broken one and use the credit towards another.

Menthol on
    sigbz8.jpg
    You're not L33T enough for IDI/RN FTP!
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Independent used videogame stores tend to offer repair services. That's the only means I know of. I highly recommend against sending it to Sony to fix it, though.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    try the second slot. maybe the first one is just loose or something...

Chaotic Descent on