As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did anyone see those cosplay chicks?

• TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    lol

wait we have a hold up on the stage with halo 2
    what the fuck is going on?
    one of the fragdolls water broke.
    GOD DAMMIT I HATE HOW THEY SHOVE THEIR SEX IN OUR FACE THEY ARE SO SELFISH.
    ....someone grab the mop.

something like that would be heard on the walky's.
    Umm...like...i see girls play games a lot, most of them are rather attractive. Its the style i swear...since they play games they socialize. I think its a confidence thing...they just dont fucking care :P I would totally dig a girl that could whoop my ass at soul calibur 2. cuz like..i know 309485039485 girls that can beat my ass on warcraft 3 :( fucking mind games. Next year i hope more girls show up to compete, and look good at the same time. Shove it in my face, i love it. :shock:

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    What the hell are you talking about. Did you even read my previous posts? Obviously not, therefore your comments are negated.

If there was even a small focus on cosplaying, you would've seen people who've cosplayed before (me) doing it as well. This con was created for the purpose of (as well as most of us were there for) gaming, thus everyone was, you guessed it, GAMING. You cosplay for the attention. You don't need to wear an outfit to talk about cosplaying with anyone. I assume we all know how to hold conversations?

There's a time and place for everything.

Look, Sphyx, I looked over your posts again just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. If we need to get into some sorta argument about this, go ahead and PM me.

I just don't see where you get off deciding where you can't and can cosplay, just because you have done it before and gone to a few more conventions. You don't need a special dedicated contest to be able to dress up.

And if you want to be legit about it, I guess you could always contact the con itself and ask if it was alright to cosplay. Which we did. And we got all the relevant info for what sort of props would be acceptable for security so that way we weren't creating any sort of problems for the convention.

We'll see you next year, and we'll be in costume :D

On another note, I'd like to second what terrix & izanobu1 said. Hear hear. Oh and slacktron too, there's a lot of good stuff being said here :)

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    i call shenanigans on your bullshit but i'm not gonna type an essay because i'm lazy

"Evil shenanigans!"
    "I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans."
    "Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?"
    "You mean Shenanigans?"
    "OOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

...sorry.

**goes off to watch more Super Troopers**

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • SphyxSphyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    terrix wrote:
    They cosplayed as game characters which was perfectly relevant to the con's theme, and anime and gaming go hand in hand and one influences the other, there also was an anime booth at the convention.

There is no reason why there shouldn't be some cosplaying, it isn't gonna turn the con into and anime convention and as long as it is game related.

So you're saying that PAX is just another of the many conventions with nothing to make it unique? I don't even honestly know what Gabe and Tycho intend on turning this foray into, so no one can really say where it's headed.
    terrix wrote:
    Shoot you go to anime conventions and they have video game booths and video game cosplayers, you don't hear them complaining.

I've personally never seen a video game booth at an anime con, but anyway. No one complains about the video game cosplayer because anime cons have the tendency to celebrate Japanese media in general, and not just focus on the animation side. It's figured that since anime stemmed from manga, why not throw some manga in. And hey, the fans do some great work drawing, comicking and writing, let's give them a slice of the pie as well. And anime fans and j-pop/j-rock fans are almost one in the same, let's get some j-rock/j-pop people involved and set up some booths. And we can't forget the weapons fans, so let's get some people to come set up a display of Japanese-style weapons, and some place with kimonos too. I've seen it happen at other anime conventions, and I'm sure some of you have too.

The reason Sweet Kitty was there is because Gabe loves them more than life. Don't you remember his reaction to them being at Sakura Con when they attended? It's their convention, so why not.

Should we have a j-pop panel because Squall and Rinoa were modeled after Gackt and Matsu Takako respectively? What about Lulu and Miyavi? No. You have to draw the line somewhere. That's my point. I love how you guys didn't understand this the first three times around.

I'd really hate to see PAX turn into Generic Con 2010 with the focus on gaming lost to ambiguous fandom.

Edit: On thinking about this more, I've realized that I went to this convention to get away from what I explained above because I find it trite and overdone. I just assumed that this convention would be different from all the others, and you guys are proving me wrong, I suppose. I'd really like to hear what Gabe and/or Tycho think about all of this in relation to any plans they have for the convention.

Sphyx on
    I was the blue-haired girl at PAX 2005.
    edited August 2004
    you girls are so cute how you argue like that.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    PAX will never be Generic Con 2010... the focus was gaming and if it happens again, it will be gaming. Dressing up as GAME characters doesn't seem weird at a gaming con... And they were well done.
    I doubt anyone should worry about PAX becoming generic or non-gaming focused... :P

Unknown User on
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    slacktron wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i call shenanigans on your bullshit but i'm not gonna type an essay because i'm lazy

Shenanigans? I'll get my broom.
    calling shenanigans on something sounds funnier than calling bullshit, so that's what i use

Were you competing in the war 3 tourny?

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    no, the only tournament i played in was MKDD

War3 is way too cutthroat for me

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    And would my local Gamestop, which has often been staffed with more women than men (and in managerial positions too!), be "trying to shock people" with that choice of employees?

No, not at all. I'm not saying that. It seems rather sexist that you're pointing that out as if you've noticed something. What I am saying is that if this so called "Gamestop" employed only female employees (which might be illegal or something.....), then it would make it seem as though they're trying to go after some sort of uniqueness. And if they're going after some uniqueness....dah dah dah, the point I was trying to make earlier.

QuizMaster on
    edited August 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    And would my local Gamestop, which has often been staffed with more women than men (and in managerial positions too!), be "trying to shock people" with that choice of employees?

No, not at all. I'm not saying that. It seems rather sexist that you're pointing that out as if you've noticed something. What I am saying is that if this so called "Gamestop" employed only female employees (which might be illegal or something.....), then it would make it seem as though they're trying to go after some sort of uniqueness. And if they're going after some uniqueness....dah dah dah, the point I was trying to make earlier.

my problem with them is they act like girly girls, and girly girls fucking annoy me because they are brainless. i don't care if they are good at games, that doesn't garner any respect from me. what garners my respect is intellect.

ok, that's my last rant about them. everyone can fawn over them now.

Borfase on
  • chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

"Evil shenanigans!"
    "I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans."
    "Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?"
    "You mean Shenanigans?"
    "OOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

...sorry.

**goes off to watch more Super Troopers**

Lmao. *Chugs bottle of maple syrup*

chef_socrates on
  • chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    Next year i hope more girls show up to compete, and look good at the same time. Shove it in my face, i love it. :shock:

Consider it done my friend, consider it done. :twisted:

chef_socrates on
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Too most of you thank you for your thoughts and there were more then a few that expressed them very well. Itried to copy all the names as i was reading to thank personaly but there were just too many.

To borfase: now you go and insult our intelligence?? From the post you have made vs. us I think many would agree who the intelligent ones are.

The fact of the matter really is that you don't have to like us but quite trying to label and insult us. There is really no point as we proved ourselves at this event and you cannot take away from that. I am the first one that thinks people are entitled to their opinion but not when they intentionally are out to hurt people or malicious in thought. Frankly, we have all heard your opinion so please find someone else to attack and move on. I apologized already if we misconstrued our image to you but I am pretty sure at this point you did not talk or play against us. Without that you have no basis for your opinion at all.

Once again thanks to most of you for expressing so eloquently your thoughts on not just us, but the other situations as well. We all have different interests, hobbies, and personalities and I defiantly have the motto to each his/her own- as long as it is not hurting anyone!
    :lol:

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
    edited August 2004
    oh my god someone send me the super mario RPG rom i cant find it ANYWHERE SOMEONE SEND IT TO ME

umm, never got to talk to you girls cuz you were either busy or i was.
    only girl i saw was the red headed one...umm...never saw the rest of you.
    sadly.

maybe next time ;)

TheMountie on
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    my problem with them is they act like girly girls, and girly girls fucking annoy me because they are brainless. i don't care if they are good at games, that doesn't garner any respect from me. what garners my respect is intellect.

ok, that's my last rant about them. everyone can fawn over them now.

well, there's a difference between girly girls and brainless girly girls, but I won't get into that because I get the point you're trying to make. Anyway, at least reserve your judgement until you really know whether we're brainless. I was always the nerdy bookworm in school so I've never thought of myself as a stupid person. I know we're smart girls. We just care about our appearance as well. There are a few on terrix's site that justify my fear of cameras, so :P

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Borfase- err... girly girls? by that you mean if we shave our legs, care about how we dress, and wear a little makeup? Aren't you stereotyping as badly as the people who think that gamers are lazy fat guys who live with their parents and never work or bathe and can't get laid to save their lives?

Unknown User on
    edited August 2004
    wtfs that supposed to mean.
    lol

i dig girly girls, as long as when i talk to them i dont feel like i have to slap them to get their gears working again.

TheMountie on
  • Steve_HardOCPSteve_HardOCP Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Drasiir wrote:
    It all comes down to image. The frag dolls look out of place simply because they choose to beat you over the head with their sex. We know you're a girl. You don't need to give birth while playing quake to prove it.

Do I sense a little "penis-envy-type complex" here?

What DO you need to "look like" to prove your game "worthiness"?

Are attractive females that dress "AS THEY SEE FIT" a threat to our manliness as gamers?

Should we shun attractive girls who dress that way and DARE invade our male dominated activities?

You know something, I am a geek...the geekiest of the geeks, nerdliest of the nerds. I am the epitome of nerdness, I run a website for a living, I review computer hardware, I have autographed games, I am tan-challenged (whiterthanwhite), all I need to talk about computers and games is the opportunity...I am a stereotypical GEEK/NERD.

Having said that, I don't "look" like a nerd... ( http://www.hypothermia.us/aboutme_1.html ) ...I look like a steroid infested parolee minus the tattoos. :(

If it is "all about image" is it cool to treat you bad or look down on you because:

You "look" like a gamer?

Shun attractive women becasue they got looks AND game?

Just an FYI, women can be sexy as hell AND gamers...one of my best friends is both ( http://www.hypothermia.us/asia/allasia.htm ) and you know what? They don't need our (a mans ) approval to be either.

just my $0.02

Steve
    www.hardocp.com
    www.hypothermia.us

Steve_HardOCP on
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    izanobu1 wrote:
    Borfase- err... girly girls? by that you mean if we shave our legs, care about how we dress, and wear a little makeup? Aren't you stereotyping as badly as the people who think that gamers are lazy fat guys who live with their parents and never work or bathe and can't get laid to save their lives?

Thats most gamers though, sadly, Stereo types exist for a reason...

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    I cosplayed as myself.

No, really. I did.

Red Machine D on
    edited August 2004
    izanobu1 wrote:

sure why not

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    I cosplayed as myself.

No, really. I did.

You totally did. And it was awesome.

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited August 2004
    Too most of you thank you for your thoughts and there were more then a few that expressed them very well. Itried to copy all the names as i was reading to thank personaly but there were just too many.

To borfase: now you go and insult our intelligence?? From the post you have made vs. us I think many would agree who the intelligent ones are.

The fact of the matter really is that you don't have to like us but quite trying to label and insult us. There is really no point as we proved ourselves at this event and you cannot take away from that. I am the first one that thinks people are entitled to their opinion but not when they intentionally are out to hurt people or malicious in thought. Frankly, we have all heard your opinion so please find someone else to attack and move on. I apologized already if we misconstrued our image to you but I am pretty sure at this point you did not talk or play against us. Without that you have no basis for your opinion at all.

i have powers of observation

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    izanobu1 wrote:

sure why not

Funny...when us guys shave our legs, care about how we dress and wear a little make-up people call us names ;) I mean...that's what I've heard.

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    I cosplayed as myself.

No, really. I did.

You totally did. And it was awesome.
    The only thing that could have made it any more of a Red Machine D costume is the lucha mask.

Come to think of it, I have no idea where that mask is.

Red Machine D on
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    izanobu1 wrote:

sure why not

Funny...when us guys shave our legs, care about how we dress and wear a little make-up people call us names ;) I mean...that's what I've heard.

i can speak from experience

Borfase on
  • Bat-Winged BoyBat-Winged Boy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    terrix wrote:
    They cosplayed as game characters which was perfectly relevant to the con's theme, and anime and gaming go hand in hand and one influences the other, there also was an anime booth at the convention.

There is no reason why there shouldn't be some cosplaying, it isn't gonna turn the con into and anime convention and as long as it is game related.

So you're saying that PAX is just another of the many conventions with nothing to make it unique? I don't even honestly know what Gabe and Tycho intend on turning this foray into, so no one can really say where it's headed.
    terrix wrote:
    Shoot you go to anime conventions and they have video game booths and video game cosplayers, you don't hear them complaining.

I've personally never seen a video game booth at an anime con, but anyway. No one complains about the video game cosplayer because anime cons have the tendency to celebrate Japanese media in general, and not just focus on the animation side. It's figured that since anime stemmed from manga, why not throw some manga in. And hey, the fans do some great work drawing, comicking and writing, let's give them a slice of the pie as well. And anime fans and j-pop/j-rock fans are almost one in the same, let's get some j-rock/j-pop people involved and set up some booths. And we can't forget the weapons fans, so let's get some people to come set up a display of Japanese-style weapons, and some place with kimonos too. I've seen it happen at other anime conventions, and I'm sure some of you have too.

'Cause it's not like the majority of gaming culture comes from Japan or anything. Or that we're allowed to do things at conventions that the Japanese popularized.
    Should we have a j-pop panel because Squall and Rinoa were modeled after Gackt and Matsu Takako respectively? What about Lulu and Miyavi? No. You have to draw the line somewhere. That's my point. I love how you guys didn't understand this the first three times around.

OK, let's draw some lines.

Why was Monolith there? I mean, Penny Arcade is a webcomic - technically about gaming, but I don't remember any comic involving Monolith (except, of course, the one where they use Monolith games to hold up the couch).

Why wasn't Scott McCloud there? Or Fred Gallagher? With all those game demos... I mean, I don't want PAX to just turn into E3 or anything it's obviously not.
    Edit: On thinking about this more, I've realized that I went to this convention to get away from what I explained above because I find it trite and overdone. I just assumed that this convention would be different from all the others, and you guys are proving me wrong, I suppose. I'd really like to hear what Gabe and/or Tycho think about all of this in relation to any plans they have for the convention.

I'll repeat - one of Tycho's reasons for loving PAX so much was that the con did belong to the geeks - and because there was no stupid high school elitist intolerance. I think the "let's ask Tycho" argument seems moot anyway, because the reality of the situation is that the cosplay harmed nobody (except the intolerant) and excited all fans of cosplay (and DOA).

Your two options are to be inclusive or exclusive. And at a geek convention, what's the point of trying to be exclusive?

Bat-Winged Boy on
    edited August 2004
    there is no fitting in at a convention.
    there is no cool uncool.
    its just a bunch of people, with the common appreciation for games.
    we all like games, get along

NOW DAMMIT.

TheMountie on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I have an IQ of 170 and I like to be clean and do whatever's practical to be as attractive as I can.

Does the second part invalidate the first? Not at all.

Ninto on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004

Why was Monolith there? I mean, Penny Arcade is a webcomic - technically about gaming, but I don't remember any comic involving Monolith (except, of course, the one where they use Monolith games to hold up the couch).

Why wasn't Scott McCloud there? Or Fred Gallagher? With all those game demos... I mean, I don't want PAX to just turn into E3 or anything it's obviously not.

Um, because PA is about games and they would like all of us to have a chance to play some of the upcoming games that are coming out? And Monolith is just one of the many companies that is near there that wanted to come?

Why weren't other Webcomics there? Because this is/was PAX. Penny-Arcade Expo. Not Web-ComicCon or something like that.

I mean, this IS just the first one, too.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:

Um, because PA is about games and they would like all of us to have a chance to play some of the upcoming games that are coming out? And Monolith is just one of the many companies that is near there that wanted to come?

Why weren't other Webcomics there? Because this is/was PAX. Penny-Arcade Expo. Not Web-ComicCon or something like that.

I mean, this IS just the first one, too.

if scott mccloud was there would he have made it out alive?

futility on
    edited September 2004
    futility wrote:
    if scott mccloud was there would he have made it out alive?

Yes, because my girlfriend and I would have done the "unwitting congoers saving Scott from the mob" routine, and we wouldn't have let him know that we were real fans until we "took shelter" in our hotel room.

Mwa ha.

Bat-Winged Boy on
    edited September 2004
    scott mccloud?

Borfase on
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    izanobu1 wrote:

sure why not

i can speak from experience

now THAT is funny!!!

Steve_HardOCP on
  • terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    If anyone thought it was just about gaming you haven't been reading Tycho's and Gabe's posts. That isn't the attitude of the con. Gaming is just the major theme; comics, technology, and all things geek or of the geek sub-culture were also themes. There were comic books and free tech magazines being handed out, and other thinks not nessesarily related to gaming there or did you not notice that? The musical artists were "nerd-core" but not all had music related to gaming. It was stated that PAX was supposed to be celebration of all things "geek".

terrix on
    edited September 2004
    yeah but anime is stupid

Borfase on
    edited September 2004
    Ah well, that's your opinion, so are video games according to a lot of people.

terrix on
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    scott mccloud?

Getcher ass to a bookstore or comics shop and getcher ass a copy of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics.

Bat-Winged Boy on
    edited September 2004
    terrix wrote:
    Ah well, that's your opinion, so are video games according to a lot of people.

yeah but i dont think they're stupid and everything i think is right

Borfase on
    edited September 2004
    You weren't the guy with the "To save time, let's just assume I know everything" shirt on there, were you? :lol:

terrix on