As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just started playing EQ 2 casually with a friend and my brother, while trying to keep our WoW guild up. Playing a Sarnak warden from scratch even though I had a 40 something one on another account. Theyre just too damn fun.

Tradeskilling is such a nice change from WoW as well.

If this thread was made a week ago, we wouldve joined Lucan, but we're on Mistmoore atm.

GhostManOnThird on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aha I've figured out why it didn't work Yuubinkyoku, there is no ' in the name so it'd be /join LucanDLere.PennyArcade coksdikslol

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Aha I've figured out why it didn't work Yuubinkyoku, there is no ' in the name so it'd be /join LucanDLere.PennyArcade coksdikslol

I think it might be because it has a pass that I can't join. I have been able to to get in guk.troubador but it still tells me I can't join the PA one.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited April 2008
    Hm, I'll go and redo it when I get the chance minus the password.

Arthil on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually, Lucan D'lere has a space in it.

The command would be:

/join lucan_dlere.pennyarcade

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had more fun playing a melee Warden in EQ2 than in any other MMO since EQ1. I turned off combat experience at 25 and made it all the way to 50 on quests/disco/collections, mostly solo, with I think 83AAs by the time I quit. I could solo ^^^ nameds once they turned green for phat loots and AA experience.

Strangely I haven't had the urge to play again since that. I did almost every single quest up until level 50, killed every named mob I could find (and a few raid mobs), had all the HQs done up until that point, 150 collections completed. Just got burned out.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited May 2008
    Well how long ago was this? Since theres thirty more levels now in the game, there are many more HQs, new races and entirely new zones. I love Greater Faydark so much, to put it simply its a hugely overgrown forest, with the Fae's city built up into the trees.

Arthil on
    edited May 2008
    GU 45 sneak peak
    Game Update 45 Sneak Peek!

There are a great many changes coming with Game Update 45! There's interesting changes coming for some casting and healing classes (Coercers and Priest classes, mainly), new world events, ways to get achievement experience from quests far under your level, bank additions, tradeskill revamps, and even a little more breathing room for the bigger encounters you may come across in your adventures! You had better get ready, there's a good chance that regardless of what you do across Norrath, you'll be affected by this Game Update in a very positive way!

* Coercers will see a great amount of changes in this Game Update to help in possessing the essences of others as well as many other changes to your abilities! The "possession" spells of Coercers will see changes to harness your pet's essence for better control. In other magical news, Thought stones, Essences of Anguish and Nil Crystals are finally obsolete! Thanks to the respective magical guilds of Qeynos and Freeport, Coercers and Necromancers and Warlocks will no longer have to deal with spell components. There's far more then this that's mentioned here for our casting friends, so if you're a caster and your class hasn't been mentioned yet, you may yet see some changes too!

* Priest classes, you're nowhere near left out of this Update! Cures for Inquisitors and Templars will see a huge change to help stem the feeling of "whack-a-mole" when you're dealing with diseases, physical ailments, magical afflictions and elemental scourges. Coming with Update 45, all four of the priest single-target cure spells will be funneled to one all-purpose cure that'll deal with what's afflicting you (or whomever you're helping). Again, this change only affects those of the priestly classes, so magical cures from casters won't see this change.

* Have you ever been so overloaded with your hard-earned prizes (or tradeskilled items) that you didn't know what to do with them? Well, with Game Update 45, you'll have 4 (yes, that's right... FOUR!) more bank slots to work with! For those that choose to play on PvE (Player versus Environment) servers, you will get to use these as four extra bank slots as well as see your shared alternate-alignment bank slots too, so you can then exchange items from not only characters within your same alignment, but of opposing alignments! For those that are counting, that does indeed result in 8 new bank slots! If that's not enough for you, how about sharing coin too... that's right, you'll be able to even exchange coin from one character to another, even across alignment! If you're exiled at the time being, you'll not be able to exchange items nor coin between characters until you choose an alignment. For our PvP (Player versus Player) enabled server adventurers, you'll still be unable to share items and cash to your differing aligned friends (and foes) since shared banks are still alignment based, but you'll have 4 additional bank slots over what you have presently and another 4 more shared slots (for a total of eight shared bank slots per alignment)!

* If you're one of those adventures that likes to hoard quests and cling to them through your adventures until they "gray out", first you need to admit you have a problem... and then complete them for achievement experience! Yes, you heard right, with Game Update 45, you'll be able to get benefit from those older quests (quests that are over level 10) to add to your achievement point total! It's time for some quest Spring Cleaning!

* By decree of the weaponsmiths across Norrath, there has been a total overhaul to weaponcrafting! With Game Update 45, you'll see a change to all crafted weapons from the ground up. Too, you'll have more choices to further "imbue" or to add "bless" procs!

* Coming soon, corpses and chests from our more powerful creatures will stick around for 20 minutes before vanishing into the ether. If you give it your all in your fight and that last swing of your weapon ends the life of the creature you're fighting, you'll have a little more breathing room to get back there to claim your prize!

This is only a glimpse of what's coming with Game Update 45! If you want to read more about it, check the test update notes to see what may be coming to an update near you! Until then... get ready, because it's on its way!

Finally! they are going to let use use the shared bank between freeport and qeynos.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    * If you're one of those adventures that likes to hoard quests and cling to them through your adventures until they "gray out", first you need to admit you have a problem... and then complete them for achievement experience! Yes, you heard right, with Game Update 45, you'll be able to get benefit from those older quests (quests that are over level 10) to add to your achievement point total! It's time for some quest Spring Cleaning!

this is awesome

i'm so tempted to re-sub ;D

<3 AA

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
    edited May 2008
    dnilb wrote: »

this is awesome

<3 AA

Yeah that is an awesome change. I have not done any of the HQ's on my sarnak yet so that should be a few AA worth of quests right there.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dnilb wrote: »
    this is awesome

<3 AA

Yeah that is an awesome change. I have not done any of the HQ's on my sarnak yet so that should be a few AA worth of quests right there.

This is fantastic. I hated feeling like I had to either turn off combat XP and do quests OR go ahead and level beyond them and have the hassle of finding someone in the right range to mentor. It was a big part of why I stopped playing my Fury. This change alone could bring me back.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited May 2008
    Oh god ._. . The AA thing is awesome but what I'm liking the most is being able to transfer items/money across alignments! All my money on Lucan D'Lere is on my evil characters so I'll be able to give the Ranger I made some cash.

Arthil on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Trying the trial now. So far I am thinking this game is not as bad as I was led to believe. Though I have the same problem I do in every game with a beellion classes, I can never settle on one to play.

I like casters, but I am wary after EQ1. I played a Mage which was awesome till I hit 55ish and learned nobody really wanted Magi in teams, got even worse when PoP was released and I could only earn XP effectively in PoP zones (up till that point, I could at least solo, but that was highly impractical in PoP).

So which caster class will not lead me to disappointment?

Yoshua on
    edited May 2008
    its possible to solo any class to 80 no problem. As for casters it always seems like someone needs them.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah all the casters are relatively powerful, Conjuror/Necromancer have pets while Warlock/Wizard are the damaging types, especially the Wizard they make things go boom. I think the best thing for you to do is to seperate the classes by their archetypes. Mages are all the cloth wearing casters, fighters are guardians, beserkers as well as Bruiser and Monk. Priests are the warden fury, inquisitor and templar as well as Mystic and Defiler I believe. Scouts are everything else <.<.

Choose to make one character out of each of these archetypes, once you get the game, get them all to around 20. Then you can get any idea of how each archetype works. In terms of race though? Play anything, I mean it. Want an Ogre Assassin? Make him, or a Barbarian Wizard? He'll work, even a Gnome/Halfling/Fae fighter type works fine too. Once you get to Level 20 the stats of your gear make any starting attributes mean nothing in the long run.

Arthil on
    edited May 2008
    Actually Arthil, for min/maxing, race does matter. For instance, if you're choosing an evil DPS class (warlock, necro, etc), choose dark elf as your race.

Trust me.

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited May 2008
    Min/Maxing is a silly thing to do really, in the end it wont matter if your race didn't have as much strength or intelligence when you made them once you have the gear that all means nothing. You play what you want, because that is how you have fun. That is how I see things, I've never let anyone try to convince me otherwise since no one else has control of my fun except for me, same goes for everybody.

Arthil on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    He's probably talking about the racial abilities more than stats. Though it's still trivial. There's nothing like Ogre's stun immunity from EQ1 that really makes a difference.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited May 2008
    An Ogre can still become stun immune, only for ten seconds though.

Arthil on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Min/Maxing is a silly thing to do really, in the end it wont matter if your race didn't have as much strength or intelligence when you made them once you have the gear that all means nothing. You play what you want, because that is how you have fun. That is how I see things, I've never let anyone try to convince me otherwise since no one else has control of my fun except for me, same goes for everybody.

Agreed. I went through this when I started playing, because I assumed that the racial differences would have some substantial impact. They really don't seem to. The stat differences are there, but they're really minor when you look at them as a percentage of a class' final stats, and probably only even noticeable at low levels. That said, numbers being numbers, if someone wants to feel like they've made the "correct" min/maxing choices, it's easy enough to do.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited May 2008
    The denmother over at EQ2 traders corner put up some nice previews of the crafting changes both general and for the weapon smiths.

Weapon Preview

General Crafting

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited May 2008
    I'd like to mention once again, if you decide to get the game please make a post with your character name and also mention if you're going to be on Lucan DLere or not as well. Even if we wont be able to come together as a guild we can communicate through the channel I made.

Arthil on
    edited May 2008
    I figured out how to join the channel finally lol its

/join Lucan_delere.pennyarcade:coksdikslol
    or if you are in EQ1 its
    /join EQ2.lucan_delere.pennyarcade:coksdikslol

ah yes for eq1 also you need to do
    /autojoin EQ2.lucan_delere.pennyarcade:coksdikslol

so it joins the channel next time you log in as well

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Considering trying this since I have no interest in getting back to WoW ever, and burned out on eve currently. I assume there's no PA guild as such though, right?

Also how are monks? I played one in EQ1 for a long long time back in 01 or so. I quit around the time my guild cleared out most of north ToV or something, so I never really got to the really end end of EQ1 content and barely had any AA to speak of. I kind of recall monks were horribly useless for most things other than straight out dps in raid fights (SK were kind of better at pulling too). I'd love to give it a shot again if they're not as gimpy as the EQ1 types were, as much as I liked playing one.

Energeno on
    edited May 2008
    Monks and Bruisers can tank some but they are mostly DPSers. In the high end monks have the ability to hold agro for like 30 sec and nothing can take it away so that can be helpful. Both monks and bruisers have nice raid wide buffs that make them really nice to have along. Mostly though they are just DPS

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited May 2008
    Monks and Bruisers can tank some but they are mostly DPSers. In the high end monks have the ability to hold agro for like 30 sec and nothing can take it away so that can be helpful. Both monks and bruisers have nice raid wide buffs that make them really nice to have along. Mostly though they are just DPS

That doesn't sound like insane amounts of fun. What's the most funny fun fun you can fun in this game (fun)?

Energeno on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Depends on what you find fun. Necros if you want overpowered can-solo-like-nobody's-business pet class that does more damage than god, Warden if you like to buff and heal, Swashies for Rogue-style stealth and DPS, Troubs/Dirges for stealth and moderate DPS combined with group buffs, Wizards for DPS nuking,... I'd recommend just trying different classes until one clicks. They can all solo, although not at the same speed.

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Depends on what you find fun. Necros if you want overpowered can-solo-like-nobody's-business pet class that does more damage than god, Warden if you like to buff and heal, Swashies for Rogue-style stealth and DPS, Troubs/Dirges for stealth and moderate DPS combined with group buffs, Wizards for DPS nuking,... I'd recommend just trying different classes until one clicks. They can all solo, although not at the same speed.

So necros are basically the same as old EQ? heh. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tips.

Energeno on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always kinda drifted with classes until I got to an SK, I utterly love that class now. Though I hear in the high end they are pretty underwhelming and not wanted as tanks and less than amazing dps. Still love playing the class and would recommend it to anyone that wants what I see as basically the embodiment of the four horsemen in EQ2 format.

Typhus733 on
    edited May 2008
    Actually Necromancer's are nowhere near as horribly overpowered as they once were in EQ1, in fact I'd say quite a few classes kill faster then them. The big thing though is they have survivability, theres the pets along with several nice buffs such as a stone you make that allows water breathing or a group invisibility buff. Also they do not start out with a Skeleton and no you cannot give your pet any kind of weapon/shield. The 'good' version of a Necromancer is a Conjuror and their damage has far more direct damage spells then DoTs.

Arthil on
    edited May 2008
    What makes them really strong now is that with a few AA you can make almost all your spells pet heals. So every time you attack it heals your pet. Works great on groups of mobs.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited May 2008
    Man, I was on Lucan way back when I started at launch, started again on Mistmoore when some PA folks were playing there about a year ago, and now everyone's back on Lucan.

I might have to resub and reroll my Lucan necro. The melee Warden was more fun than an MMO had any right to be, though...

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited May 2008
    Ares, they really nerfed the melee Warden :(

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited May 2008
    Ares, they really nerfed the melee Warden :(

How so?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited May 2008
    its nice that they made leviathan easier to get to now. VS is a bitch to kill for new members and stuff that join my guild. now we can just zone in as long as 1 person has the flags.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Years ago a friend of mine got me hooked on EQ when he first let me play around with his beta account. I took breaks on and off and eventually quit right around the time that Planes of Power came out.

I saw this thread and decided to do the "Play the Fae" trial. As soon as I heard the music it was like a nostalgia bomb had been detonated in my head.

I'll be in Lucan D'Lere as a Half-elf swashbuckler named Ryale trying to figure out how to do everything again.

Vray on
    edited May 2008
    Whoo! Excellent. Well it seems we may actually have -a- guild, though it wont be named for anything involving PA. With what has happened with me in-game I've ended up having the ability to invite people into a fairly fresh guild, most of the other members play around on another server so I'm left in charge for the most part. Oh also Vray remember to join the channel, you can get the info from the bottom of the OP.

Arthil on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, wait. Can I Play Something Other Than the Fae in the trial? I actually like the little fairy bastards, but I want to see Freeport and Qeynos.

Tzen on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After you've created the Fea you can create other races also.

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Fea >.>? Anyway, you wont be seeing Qeynos or Freeport. The classes that can only be/can choose to be from there start on an island. You cannot leave this island during a tral. That is why I prefer playing either in Kelethin or Neriak since you get to see the city and have a lot more room in general. Plus its a better display of the best that the game has then the islands, even better then those two though is Gorowyn which is only available with the Kunark expansion. But yes, create a Fae/Arasai then you can camp out and make whatever you want.

Arthil on