As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Xena, Warrior Cylon

• Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    I wasn't a fan of Lucy Lawless before this show. Now I want to have her babies.

You're doing it wrong. Let me illustrate: I want her to have my babies :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    I like Anders as a character. He's just a good dude who does the right thing. It's one of the things I can't stand some of the fags on BSG fan-boards for, their constant shitting on Anders.

People shit on Anders?

Wha?

He is like the definitive example of what humanity has become during the series. A sports star turned into a gurella combat fighter badass.

A bunch of the fagoos at some of the BSG boards like to call him "Blanders" and whine about how he's boring.

You know what I think?

Bunch of nerdy milquetoasts don't like an awesome character who is also one of those accursed jocks that beat them so bad in high school with the hurting and the pain.

Prior to the settlement, Anders was pretty much a non-entity. Concentration camp living did wonders for him though.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    I wasn't a fan of Lucy Lawless before this show. Now I want to have her babies.

You're doing it wrong. Let me illustrate: I want her to have my babies :P

No, I think he had it right the first time. I can see Lawless as the man in most relationships.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    I like Anders as a character. He's just a good dude who does the right thing. It's one of the things I can't stand some of the fags on BSG fan-boards for, their constant shitting on Anders.

People shit on Anders?

Wha?

He is like the definitive example of what humanity has become during the series. A sports star turned into a gurella combat fighter badass.

A bunch of the fagoos at some of the BSG boards like to call him "Blanders" and whine about how he's boring.

You know what I think?

Bunch of nerdy milquetoasts don't like an awesome character who is also one of those accursed jocks that beat them so bad in high school with the hurting and the pain.

Prior to the settlement, Anders was pretty much a non-entity. Concentration camp living did wonders for him though.
    Anders has just consistently made awesome decisions about things. And blown stuff up in the process.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah. I'm also convinced it was his bad boy demeanor that... [spoiler:194faf2cf1]...temporarily drove two Cylon babes insane long enough to turn on one of their own (See "Downloaded").[/spoiler:194faf2cf1]

Cavil on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I Season 2.5 DVD 2 came yesterday..

1) Did they decide to get lazy with making these things? Up until this disc all of them had had summaries of the episodes before it goes to play them. I noticed on this DVD that it just went straight to the episode when you selected which one you wanted to watch.

2) Adama Jr. sleeping with a ho? That seemed a little out of place for me.

3) What was the name of the big black guy who was in charge of the black market? Real life name.

4) [spoiler:8cfe330bb4]BILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did they do that for? Did he want to leave the show or did the writers just want to take him out of it for some reason? I really liked that character, he was such a nice guy, very likable. He finally grew some manballs and spoke up for himself and the boom, ded. Sadness filled me.[/spoiler:8cfe330bb4]

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'll answer your spoiler with another spoiler.

[spoiler:f1e66855e5]The guy playing Billy wanted to do other things so writers had to write him out. He did however express wanting to return as a Cylon if ever... so yeah. Look out for that.[/spoiler:f1e66855e5]

Cavil on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why would an unknown actor want to leave a hit show?

That doesn't make sense. I'd milk BSG for all it was worth if I were on it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Endomatic wrote:
    Why would an unknown actor want to leave a hit show?

That doesn't make sense. I'd milk BSG for all it was worth if I were on it.

It wasn't exactly like that. He wouldn't sign an exclusivity contract, as he and another dude were filming a pilot, and hoping it would be picked up. The writers were getting ansy because they couldn't write any storylines for him, so when he refused to sign the contract, they gave him the boot and wrote him out of the show.

So that's that, and we were left with the character assassination of Anastasia.

Boo.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is anyone else as fucking sick of Starbuck as I am?

[spoiler:402fd13666] Season 1 and 2 is the Starbuck I can get on board with. She's extremely religious (give and take with Leoben) and doesn't take shit from anyone. She hates the entire officer staff except for Lee and Admiral Adama Adama (you know, I still don't refer to him by his first name, just doesn't seem right) - but she killed their brother / son. She was so broken, so incredibly flawed, just trying to get along in the world. However, she did sleep with Baltar - which I wasn't a fan of.

But, fuck, Season 3 Starbuck is a little whiny bitch. She lost whatever fire she had before (probably due to the whole Leoben's Kid thing) but, still, what - the fuck. She's all whiney and emo and untouchable - you can't even connect with the character anymore. She's just a fucking shill of a character - and the whole Dualla v. Lee v. Starbuck v. Anders thing is ridiculous. Billy was suppose to be with Dualla. [/spoiler:402fd13666]

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Funny thing is Dualla is so much hotter than Starbuck. Like, by a million degrees.

ege02 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Funny thing is Dualla is so much hotter than Starbuck. Like, by a million degrees.

I disagree!

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Starbuck still has spunk and hotness, albeit milky white as holy hell. Like Japanese albino white. I agree though, Dualla is so much sweeter and more stable. I hope she and Anders hit it off. [spoiler:2395689222]Also, their pasts aren't nearly as shady as Apollo and Starbuck's.[/spoiler:2395689222]

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Starbuck still has spunk and hotness, albeit milky white as holy hell. Like Japanese albino white. I agree though, Dualla is so much sweeter and more stable. I hope she and Anders hit it off. [spoiler:88835081b6]Also, their pasts aren't nearly as shady as Apollo and Starbuck's.[/spoiler:88835081b6]

i think that would be a wonderful story development and whole-heartedly endorse it.

Pony on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Whiny? Emo?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, starbucks getting a lot of hate at the moment... Not quite sure why, though. She's pretty much the same as far as I can see...? I guess I don't like her character, but I love her character.

Italics will take the place of any meaningful explanation of my thoughts.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, starbucks getting a lot of hate at the moment... Not quite sure why, though. She's pretty much the same as far as I can see...? I guess I don't like her character, but I love her character.

[spoiler:fecf8e8d48]Blackmailing another (non-fuck up) pilot into killing herself then helping her along when she hadn't quite finished the job. That'd be why I've started not liking her very much.[/spoiler:fecf8e8d48]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2006

[spoiler:6cb9ada93b]Blackmailing another (non-fuck up) pilot into killing herself then helping her along when she hadn't quite finished the job. That'd be why I've started not liking her very much.[/spoiler:6cb9ada93b]
    Oh yeah fuck me...
    [spoiler:6cb9ada93b]...that was a major weakness of that episode I thought. What she did was fucking abhorrent and they didn't really seem to linger on it, or even on the way she dealt with it (apparently not doing so). I'm hoping Moore will have someone nail her about that later on.[/spoiler:6cb9ada93b]

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    But all the stuff like...
    [spoiler:f7edd072dc]stabbing people in throats, airlocking them, messing around with their heads, etc.[/spoiler:f7edd072dc]

None of that sounds remotely like whiny or emo.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I'm rewatching the show with my girlfriend right now, I can see why people hate Black Market so much. The only real thing it explained was how that replacement Pegasus commander was gotten rid of.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm so scared of seeing that episode now. Even Moore considers it an embarrasment.

As for Starbuck...

[spoiler:e0ad4ccebe]There was no way she could've known Kat would kill herself. She was venting. I mean goddamn, people. Kat was hot but also a minor character. And let's not forget they're all more or less expendable.[/spoiler:e0ad4ccebe]

Cavil on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    I'm so scared of seeing that episode now. Even Moore considers it an embarrasment.

As for Starbuck...

[spoiler:8ef47aceb6]There was no way she could've known Kat would kill herself. She was venting. I mean goddamn, people. Kat was hot but also a minor character. And let's not forget they're all more or less expendable.[/spoiler:8ef47aceb6]
    [spoiler:8ef47aceb6]The pills, man. The pills.[/spoiler:8ef47aceb6]

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bombardier wrote:
    I'm rewatching the show with my girlfriend right now, I can see why people hate Black Market so much. The only real thing it explained was how that replacement Pegasus commander was gotten rid of.

Yeah. It's really, really shitty. It's like a bad episode of Star Trek. Total villian of the week crap. It had me worried the show had sweated out all of its goodness and that episode was just the husk collapsing in upon itself.

I've been talking my friends into BSG one episode at a time, I spend so much effort coercing them into this new strange scifi/drama territory, trying to convince them ITS OKAY ITS NOT STAR TREK. That episode is going to be a challenge. I might just ask that they skip it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bombardier wrote:

Yeah. It's really, really shitty. It's like a bad episode of Star Trek. Total villian of the week crap. It had me worried the show had sweated out all of its goodness and that episode was just the husk collapsing in upon itself.

I've been talking my friends into BSG one episode at a time, I spend so much effort coercing them into this new strange scifi/drama territory, trying to convince them ITS OKAY ITS NOT STAR TREK. That episode is going to be a challenge. I might just ask that they skip it.

The only thing I did enjoy about that episode is that it examined how life was in the fleet outside of the Galactica. Until then everything that been pretty Cylon oriented and not much emphasis placed on how people were living their normal lives - or as normal as they could be. You see little glimpses of it throughout the series, but Black Market was the first one to show you how people are living and that things aren't as nice as one would hope.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Seriously. Leaving things to a civilian government when your goals are purely survivalist and you get things like New Caprica.

I know, hindsight 20/20.

Cavil on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Seriously. Leaving things to a civilian government when your goals are purely survivalist and you get things like New Caprica.

I know, hindsight 20/20.

Y'know, if I was on one of those civilian ships, I'd have vote for the chance of a new caprica.

What I find most fascinating is that Baltar is seen as this great enemy (like in the original series), but in this series he is seen in this black and white baddy goodie dynamic, but he patently isn't. I know adama is getting a lot of flack for being a quote-o-matic, but I see him as representing a viewpoint where those that don't agree with us are against us.

I find the idea of the main protagonist as being sympathetic interesting

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    BSG Direct to DVD movie?
    Despite declining ratings for Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel, nearly universal critical acclaim along with robust DVD sales have led Universal Home Video to consider greenlighting a Battlestar Galactica direct-to-video telefilm, which will presumably air on The SciFi Channel, after debuting on home video, sources tell Geek. If it goes forward, the two hour telefilm will shoot in March during the series hiatus and prior to the commencement of production on the series fourth season in June. While there is no story for the telefilm at present, plans are afoot to come up with a screenplay that doesn’t step on existing continuity for the series, but utilizes most of its existing sets. There is also speculation the telefilm will somehow tie into the mythology for the Galactica spin-off series, Caprica, which has not been officially greenlit by SciFi Channel.

Hmmmm. Personally I'd rather they just put the money into the existing television show so they could avoid filler episodes, and maybe get a better promotional campaign going to increase ratings/viewership and thus advertisement revenue. Direct to video movies are usually trash :(. Who knows though...

Ant000 on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ant000 wrote:
    BSG Direct to DVD movie?
    Despite declining ratings for Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel, nearly universal critical acclaim along with robust DVD sales have led Universal Home Video to consider greenlighting a Battlestar Galactica direct-to-video telefilm, which will presumably air on The SciFi Channel, after debuting on home video, sources tell Geek. If it goes forward, the two hour telefilm will shoot in March during the series hiatus and prior to the commencement of production on the series fourth season in June. While there is no story for the telefilm at present, plans are afoot to come up with a screenplay that doesn’t step on existing continuity for the series, but utilizes most of its existing sets. There is also speculation the telefilm will somehow tie into the mythology for the Galactica spin-off series, Caprica, which has not been officially greenlit by SciFi Channel.

Hmmmm. Personally I'd rather they just put the money into the existing television show so they could avoid filler episodes, and maybe get a better promotional campaign going to increase ratings/viewership and thus advertisement revenue. Direct to video movies are usually trash :(. Who knows though...

The problem is most people download episodes, so advert revenue means nothing. When people start crying out about how this series is going to be cancelled... GO AND WATCH IT WHERE IT MEANS A DAMN.

If this gets cancelled or turned into a tv movie you will all see the remains of the puppy I will pummel

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ratings are on the decline everywhere. Except for American Idol.

Cavil on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:

As for Starbuck...

[spoiler:9d321e5d40]There was no way she could've known Kat would kill herself. She was venting. I mean goddamn, people. Kat was hot but also a minor character. And let's not forget they're all more or less expendable.[/spoiler:9d321e5d40]
    [spoiler:9d321e5d40]The pills, man. The pills.[/spoiler:9d321e5d40]

[spoiler:9d321e5d40]She only gave her the pills after she was on her death bed and in incredible pain. It was an act of mercy. She realized it was her fault that Kat was in the position was and wanted to be forgiven in some form.

Starbuck is working to redeem herself, she's just very flawed. After the talk with Adama, she's really started to change and go back to who she was before New Caprica. It's building, I think once she really gets together with Apollo we'll see a little of how she was before the death of Zack.[/spoiler:9d321e5d40]

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I guess if Arrested Development can get cancelled, Battlestar might be too.

I can't think of anything more awful!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I guess if Arrested Development can get cancelled, Battlestar might be too.

I can't think of anything more awful!

Paris Hilton and Britney Spears as two of the unknown Cylon models.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Or one of the major cast dying in real life. That would suck balls because they're all so integral to the series. Hell, if we ever lost one of the actors playing a Cylon, that would also blow because you can't really kill them off.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Or one of the major cast dying in real life. That would suck balls because they're all so integral to the series. Hell, if we ever lost one of the actors playing a Cylon, that would also blow because you can't really kill them off.
    You could however, have Adama find the Cylon homeworld, and use his shiny new [spoiler:c3ee10aee2]orbital bombardment nukes god is there any part of that concept that isn't sexy[/spoiler:c3ee10aee2]

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    You could however, have Adama find the Cylon homeworld, and use his shiny new [spoiler:7defa4a3ab]orbital bombardment nukes god is there any part of that concept that isn't sexy[/spoiler:7defa4a3ab]

That still wouldn't explain how an entire line of only a single model would die out.

Cavil on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    You could however, have Adama find the Cylon homeworld, and use his shiny new [spoiler:8381691ee2]orbital bombardment nukes god is there any part of that concept that isn't sexy[/spoiler:8381691ee2]

"We are going to hit them with the Empire."
    "They aren't going to like the Empire."

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:b62c962fe9]the fact that battlestars, especially the old ones like Galactica, are actually designed to be able to fire nukes onto a planet says some pretty scary things about the colonial military and their views on war.

keep in mind, when galactica was built, the cylons didn't even have a homeworld.

so, it might just be that the original battlestars were built with the mindset that orbitally bombarding your own planets with nukes is acceptable.

and if they weren't designed that way from the beginning, if the nuke tubes were later additions to the old ships, that still means at some point the admiralty decided it was a good thing to make the ships capable of nuking a planet's surface.

you know, in case the cylons were building a war machine.

there are a dozen little things referenced through-out the series, going back even to the miniseries, that seem to suggest that life in the colonies before the cylons attacked was pretty fucked up.[/spoiler:b62c962fe9]

Pony on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    [spoiler:1ecfa9a81c]the fact that battlestars, especially the old ones like Galactica, are actually designed to be able to fire nukes onto a planet says some pretty scary things about the colonial military and their views on war.

keep in mind, when galactica was built, the cylons didn't even have a homeworld.

so, it might just be that the original battlestars were built with the mindset that orbitally bombarding your own planets with nukes is acceptable.

and if they weren't designed that way from the beginning, if the nuke tubes were later additions to the old ships, that still means at some point the admiralty decided it was a good thing to make the ships capable of nuking a planet's surface.

you know, in case the cylons were building a war machine.

there are a dozen little things referenced through-out the series, going back even to the miniseries, that seem to suggest that life in the colonies before the cylons attacked was pretty fucked up.[/spoiler:1ecfa9a81c]

[spoiler:1ecfa9a81c]Well the Cylons were on the ground, too. They could take over cities, facilities... it would be pretty stupid to design a military that can't attack the enemy.

But yeah, it was hinted that there were wars between the colonies before the Cylons came around. [/spoiler:1ecfa9a81c]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's not *that* scary. I mean... unless they got something in their history to top Hiroshima and Nagasaki with. I mean... scary yea, but... not really out of place. :|

Aanyways, is anyone else excited about Badger coming onto the show some time next year? :D

At least that's what I gathered from the long roundtable podcast. Apparently he's playing...
    [realspoiler:2973995ae8]a lawyer of some sort for, I think it was three episodes? Who's he defending? Baltar?[/realspoiler:2973995ae8]
    I bet he's a cylon.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have no idea who you're talking about. You might as well have said Kirk Cameron.

Cavil on
This discussion has been closed.