As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh what the FUCK (360 discs)

2»

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So now that an arc is there, will that scratch give me trouble later on when the drive actually tries to read from that area, or does it have to be a pretty bad gash in order for the drive to start having trouble reading the disc?

It's faint and I have to angle the disk to see it (When staring at the area directly it's not visible), but when I see it, it's clearly a solid line.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    So now that an arc is there, will that scratch give me trouble later on when the drive actually tries to read from that area, or does it have to be a pretty bad gash in order for the drive to start having trouble reading the disc?

It's faint and I have to angle the disk to see it (When staring at the area directly it's not visible), but when I see it, it's clearly a solid line.

An arc is absolutely the worst scratch on a disc, as you're rendering an entire section of the track unreadable. Vertical scratches are usually OK.

Best thing you can do is run it and see.

The vertical position is such a bad thing. Curse PS2 to high heaven.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had to send in my previous 360 due to this problem. It was horizontal, never touched, and still scratched my games.

My current one doesn't scratch, but it likes to forget how to read my Rock Band disc on occasion for reasons I can't fathom.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    ShawxnShawxn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I think pretty much everyone has had Mass Effect freeze on them a few times. It's constantly accessing the dvd, moreso than any other 360 game.

actually, the game I've had freeze on me the most is lost odyssey. It didn't happen until the third disk, but its been three times now in the past hour of playing. two during cutscenes that I had to rewatch all over again (damn that train cutscene. so fucking long, if you include the two parts)

Shawxn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I remembered hearing about that before the PS3 ever came out. I always considered it a pro in the PS3 column, as I'm generally a nervous kind of guy about buying used games.

I had never heard about it. In fact, I'd always heard that they had problems keeping it stable, but this was way back when they were talking about actually releasing blu-ray discs in cartridges. After that I kinda stopped paying attention, although I did notice that my PS3 discs always stayed pristine and wondered how.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    also, mass effect was absolutely published my microsoft. Check the box, its in the lower right corner: "Microsoft game studios"

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Just buy Mass Effect for the PC and be done with it. Don't have to worry about scratched disk there. (at least till you install)

I heard the PC version is a pain in the ass.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Just buy Mass Effect for the PC and be done with it. Don't have to worry about scratched disk there. (at least till you install)

I heard the PC version is a pain in the ass.

I'd imagine so, with the 20-minute rectal exams involving robots.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

An arc is absolutely the worst scratch on a disc, as you're rendering an entire section of the track unreadable. Vertical scratches are usually OK.

Crap, I was afraid of this.

So even if it isn't a severe scratch, it can still be unreadable if it's a circular arc?

I could try returning the game at Best Buy and asking for an exchange, but I doubt they'd want to.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Crap, I was afraid of this.

So even if it isn't a severe scratch, it can still be unreadable if it's a circular arc?

I could try returning the game at Best Buy and asking for an exchange, but I doubt they'd want to.

When I worked at Best Buy we've done it before. It's a "manufacturer's defect" and they should exchange it for the same game. Worst case they say no.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Cool. I'll see if I can exchange it tomorrow when I go to work.

Thankfully, I decided to buy the 360 and GTA at a Best Buy 3 blocks away from where I work.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I had a problem with Mass Effect where it was freezing on me at random times, and I brought it back to Wal*Mart without a receipt and asked if they could exchange it. They did, but they said you can only do that like twice a year or something like that.

So worst case: Bring it to Wal*Mart.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahahaha.

Good ol' Wal*Mart. Consumer's plan B.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So very true. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Microsoft isn't the only one to have a disc replacement program, Ubi, EA, and Activision have ones too, check their support data bases for the info, it's buried in there somewhere. That being said, not all publishers will do a disc replacement. For instance Koei will tell you to go to hell (I know this from personal experience) but some other smaller publishers might do it if you ask nicely. It never hurts to try.

Any game that uses a lot of data streaming off the disc (like ME) will freeze and give unreadable errors at some point, it's just the poor engineering of the 360 hardware. How i dream of an XBox Three Sixty model.

Oh yeah and tapping on the top off a 360 while on = bad.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png