As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ikariam: a new era of Pax Arcadia arises

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Just got some museums up, sent out a bunch of cultural treaties to the people I saw online.

What about those of us that aren't on line? I had a spot open up and sent out requests to the top half of the alliance... I'll start at the bottom next time I get one open. 15 dongs in storage right now, woot.

Sure send 'em out, I'm expanding the museums as well so there will be room.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So you're the one who sent me a dong!

Display my dong proudly.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    ZahrkonZahrkon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sending in an application to NPAX Beta.

Game name:Zahrkon
    My cities are
    Righteous Fire 77,30 Crystal
    Divine Fire 76,28 Marble
    Purifying Fire 74,34

Zahrkon on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So you're the one who sent me a dong!

Display my dong proudly.

All of my dongs are displayed with mood lighting and backstories on the creation of the dong, with official documents. Occasionally I'll have a performance art piece with a scantilly clad woman stroking the dong and reciting poetry from the region the dong originated in. It's very moving.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bah! 48 hour of inactivity with no wine colonies and a -3k gold upkeep really does some damage to your position in this game.

130k military down to 70k. 1k population down to 650. 170k gold down to 30k.

Ouch.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The perils of a military economy. You pretty much have to raid and sell the resources constantly in order to keep your military paid so you can raid some more for resources to sell to support the military. It's a fun cycle.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, that's the last time I let my capital run out of wine. -583 happyness cannot be good. :v:

Kris on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, what happened in North America over the last few days? Aside from it being the weekend.

It's also why I like my laid back economic approach to the game. My wealth and resources just accumulate, I have huge stores of wine, so if I walk away for a few days I'm not boned.

devoir on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have more fun, I think, with the diplomacy in this game than the actual game. King Theotokas has quite the personality.

Sueve on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've started to increase the level of wine stored in cities, just in case I get blockaded for 24 hours or so

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Bulwark wrote: »
    So. Moral dilemma.

He treated the manner somewhat sensibly. Rather than rushing into half-cocked revenge, he built a fairly impressive navy and military before assaulting me. He cracked my defenses, and I'm glad it happened, because it taught me the difference between what used to feel like a solid defense and what actually constitutes a solid defense.

What did you mean by this exactly? What is actually is a solid defence?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    BulwarkBulwark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So. Moral dilemma.

He treated the manner somewhat sensibly. Rather than rushing into half-cocked revenge, he built a fairly impressive navy and military before assaulting me. He cracked my defenses, and I'm glad it happened, because it taught me the difference between what used to feel like a solid defense and what actually constitutes a solid defense.
    I had previously assumed that 150%+ walls and modest forces of ballistas and phalanxes (6-8 and 10-15 respectively) would be enough to deter just about anyone, since my ports weren't highly developed. In other words, the strategy was to make myself just well-defended enough that it wouldn't be lucrative to try and smash my defenses and rob me. This worked as far as I could see, as I didn't get attacked, but in my gradual transition from raiding inactives to raiding nice, unallied 0-military targets of opportunity in the early morning hours, I made a critical mistake. I thought that I would be able to quickly build up an effective enough defense force in the time it took for blockaders or pillagers to reach me that I would be able to scrape a win, and that that was all I needed.

What I now consider a solid defense is a standing defense force that will already match and better a likely assault force, with a "likely assault force" being measured by the level of development of the people that you're wanging and inspiring to retaliate. This might seem like common sense, but it still requires that you check in very frequently, so that once an attack is launched on you, you can swoop in and respond with a build-up. When the attackers actually land, you should have such a substantial superiority of arms that the fight's end is a given. If you don't check in frequently, you probably shouldn't be doing a lot of heavy pillaging, because you'll need to maintain a much larger standing defense force.

The reason is that decisive victory through overwhelming power is how you really win a confrontation. The game's mechanics strongly reward disproportionate battles: 8 of your archers versus 7 enemy archers will likely be a win with 2 or 3 of your archers remaining. 16 of your archers versus 7 enemy archers will likely be a win with only 2 or 3 of your archers dying in the process. If both sides get reduced to rubble in a narrow battle, then the build-up will start again afterwards, and you'll likely be sinking resources constantly into a war where the other side smells the possibility of victory (and may be able to secure it if they have friends or join into an alliance). If you massacre the other side, then 1) you retain most of your forces and so are already ahead of the game if they try again or you just want to smack them back, and 2) the crushing defeat will probably make them reconsider attacking you at all.

Bulwark on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So. Moral dilemma.

I had previously assumed that 150%+ walls and modest forces of ballistas and phalanxes (6-8 and 10-15 respectively) would be enough to deter just about anyone, since my ports weren't highly developed. In other words, the strategy was to make myself just well-defended enough that it wouldn't be lucrative to try and smash my defenses and rob me. This worked as far as I could see, as I didn't get attacked, but in my gradual transition from raiding inactives to raiding nice, unallied 0-military targets of opportunity in the early morning hours, I made a critical mistake. I thought that I would be able to quickly build up an effective enough defense force in the time it took for blockaders or pillagers to reach me that I would be able to scrape a win, and that that was all I needed.

What I now consider a solid defense is a standing defense force that will already match and better a likely assault force, with a "likely assault force" being measured by the level of development of the people that you're wanging and inspiring to retaliate. This might seem like common sense, but it still requires that you check in very frequently, so that once an attack is launched on you, you can swoop in and respond with a build-up. When the attackers actually land, you should have such a substantial superiority of arms that the fight's end is a given. If you don't check in frequently, you probably shouldn't be doing a lot of heavy pillaging, because you'll need to maintain a much larger standing defense force.

The reason is that decisive victory through overwhelming power is how you really win a confrontation. The game's mechanics strongly reward disproportionate battles: 8 of your archers versus 7 enemy archers will likely be a win with 2 or 3 of your archers remaining. 16 of your archers versus 7 enemy archers will likely be a win with only 2 or 3 of your archers dying in the process. If both sides get reduced to rubble in a narrow battle, then the build-up will start again afterwards, and you'll likely be sinking resources constantly into a war where the other side smells the possibility of victory (and may be able to secure it if they have friends or join into an alliance). If you massacre the other side, then 1) you retain most of your forces and so are already ahead of the game if they try again or you just want to smack them back, and 2) the crushing defeat will probably make them reconsider attacking you at all.

This is good advice. I think it might be worth writing a guide on defence/offence at the mid-late game stage, as I can't recall seeing any useful resources on this, say from 4chan/the game boards/etc. So - people at this stage, can you share your thoughts/tips for defence or offence against powerful enemies? I'll write it all up into a guide and put it maybe in the OP.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is good advice. I think it might be worth writing a guide on defence/offence at the mid-late game stage, as I can't recall seeing any useful resources on this, say from 4chan/the game boards/etc. So - people at this stage, can you share your thoughts/tips for defence or offence against powerful enemies? I'll write it all up into a guide and put it maybe in the OP.

Walls.

Avoid naval battles if possible. Realize that other people want to avoid them also.

Spies are cheap and run faster than your army does. Emptying your hideout for that first hit against a hard target is worth it.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Avoid naval battles if possible. Realize that other people want to avoid them also..

You know, that hadn't actually occured to me. Would it be better to have a large fleet stationed at your city instead of an equally large bastion of phalanx?

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Someone blockaded me after the gold upkeep smashed my military. He stole a trade shipment of 3000 marble. I've given him two days to replace the stolen goods or prepare to face NPAX.

I hope I didn't overstep my place in saying that. Either way I've just started making Gunman and will easily be able to wang the guy myself once my army recovers from our loss.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    Avoid naval battles if possible. Realize that other people want to avoid them also..

You know, that hadn't actually occured to me. Would it be better to have a large fleet stationed at your city instead of an equally large bastion of phalanx?

Not really sure, but I know that when I'm looking at targets, a beefy navy will discourage me far more than a beefy army. The more than double travel time on ships is ass. I havent analyzed relative upkeeps though.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »

Not really sure, but I know that when I'm looking at targets, a beefy navy will discourage me far more than a beefy army. The more than double travel time on ships is ass. I havent analyzed relative upkeeps though.

Completely agree. I have zero problem wanging some guy with a 75K mil score, but zero ships. As soon as he builds even ONE ship in port, it's usually not worth it.

To add to the defense discussion, I can't begin to emphasize the utility of cooks/docs. I had some guy bring 40 riflemen+rams against my 20 phalanxes, 2 cooks, 2 docs, and underdeveloped walls. I not only won, I lost only ONE phalanx in the fight.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I've designed my defences on the basis that I should have enough forces to hold off a reasonably determined person of less or slightly more power for at least a few hours. The theory being that while my defences are holding I can shift forces about or get aid from you guys or someone else. So far this hasn't really been tested much though, but like you all, that is changing. Yesterday I had two separate attacks on me from aggrived people or their friends.

To do this I try to keep a solid force at each colony that is a mixture of good defensive and offensive units, supported by town walls that match town hall level, or at least as close as possible.

I keep 30-45 phalanxes at each town, partnered with doctors/cooks (to extend their effectiveness in a long battle), along with an offensive force of archers/swordsmen, varying in size depending on what type of enemies are nearby, then a bunch of slingers about to soak up damage. The slingers are there because I read somewhere that combat mechanics work on a basis of a chance to hit, so if there are more units, there is less chance of a valuable unit being lost, I may convert them to swordsmen at some point.

So far as fleets go I aim to keep 20-30 ballista ships at each base, then 5-10 catapult ships, some rams to soak it up and a variable number of fireships (depending on the strength of neighbours). The ballista ships I keep because they are the most cost effective and have a nice defence bonus. The catapults are a solid, mid level, ship unit and I use to counter more sophisticated attackers. So if for example someone sends 20 fireships against a fleet I expect the catapult ships will be able to survive where the ballistas may not.
    Last night I was attacked by a fleet of 10 fireships/22 ballistas/3 rams - defending I had 25 ballistas/7 catapults/2 rams and 6 fireships. I lost 3 fireships and 2 ballistas, he lost 7 fireships, 11 ballistas and 2 rams.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Someone blockaded me after the gold upkeep smashed my military. He stole a trade shipment of 3000 marble. I've given him two days to replace the stolen goods or prepare to face NPAX.

I hope I didn't overstep my place in saying that. Either way I've just started making Gunman and will easily be able to wang the guy myself once my army recovers from our loss.

Burtle, get us a report on who he is/where he is and we can give him a team wanging perhaps. Perhaps Skarsol can help you ID his bases. I don't mind helping you with this if any of his cities are close to my bases.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh, I don't think you overstepped your bounds there. We like action, and you're nearby. Win, win!

@Kalkino:
    That sounds like an incredibly expensive defense force. You should be mining sulfur more and keeping a constant sell offer available to make extra money from it.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    He is in the 50:20 area, I know of two of his bases and his alliance is just him and one other guy, but I thought I'd be nice and give him a chance to give my stuff back before handing his names and locations over to the dogs of war in NPAX.

Also I'm building Gunmen. Wheeee!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just FYI, my town on 43:11 has grown up and has now started harassing the neighbors.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, I'm 3 days from finishing off Steam Giants, what should I do?

I was originally going to completely replace all my phalanxes with SG's, but my phalanxes are fully upgraded defensively, and 2/3 offense. Not sure which is better defense/upkeep cost...

Should I do a mix of the two until I upgrade the SGs a bit? I just realized all my barracks are two low to make them, and I need to start now to get the upgrading done in time D:

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Darian wrote: »

Oh, I don't think you overstepped your bounds there. We like action, and you're nearby. Win, win!

@Kalkino:
    That sounds like an incredibly expensive defense force. You should be mining sulfur more and keeping a constant sell offer available to make extra money from it.

It is expensive I agree but it means I sleep well at night. I raid enough to pay for it easily, but you are right, I should sell more of my resources. I got into bad habits a few weeks back on this

Skarsol has been telling me how he structures his offensive forces - he always includes a few phalanxes to soak up the damage, so I am going to try that for a while to see if it is as effective

Kalkino on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Damn you people I already have a ton of games in my back log and I stumble into this thread. I have to sleep now for work but I will definatly be getting in on this madnes asap.

To the burning of the world.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Damn you people I already have a ton of games in my back log and I stumble into this thread. I have to sleep now for work but I will definatly be getting in on this madnes asap.

We are not monsters, we also enjoy stroking kitties backwards.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know what's disturbing?

Despite the fact I now have five cities, with a constantly growing population, my income is steadily going down because we're so good at upgrading the resources on the islands I'm on.

Well, perhaps disturbing is the wrong word. Awesome is a contender.

devoir on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Malechai wrote: »

We are not monsters, we also enjoy stroking kitties backwards.

You fiend! :evil:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I keep wondering when I'll be running in the black again and it never happens. I'm only at -611 an hour now, that's pretty good for me.

Of course, I'm also earning tens or hundreds of thousands a day through raiding.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I keep wondering when I'll be running in the black again and it never happens. I'm only at -611 an hour now, that's pretty good for me.

Of course, I'm also earning tens or hundreds of thousands a day through raiding.

Hahah, -611? Through supreme effort and massive wine consumption I'm back up to only -6,047.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I cut back on my sulfur and wood gathering at my two sulfur islands (why I havn't burned on to the ground yet is beyond me) so I'm now at a nice old positive 632, until my 20 or so catapult ships and 20 gunmen finish being built.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like it when a plan comes together:

Before I headed to the uni I launched some upgrades to walls, when I got back the upgrades were exactly 10 seconds from finishing, so I could upgrade something else right away. I'm faaaaast. :D

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Hahah, -611? Through supreme effort and massive wine consumption I'm back up to only -6,047.

I am at about -2.5k at present, and this before I embark upon my gunman building programme today. I was over -5k the other day during a particularly busy day of campaigning.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I am at about -2.5k at present, and this before I embark upon my gunman building programme today. I was over -5k the other day during a particularly busy day of campaigning.

That's without my armies in the field. If I'm actively raiding large targets I crest 10k.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2008

That's without my armies in the field. If I'm actively raiding large targets I crest 10k.

You are an example to us all and I hope one day we are all losing money to this extent, if it means our armies are out solving crime and rescuing kitties stuck up trees 24/7

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Red_CascadeRed_Cascade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I just started attacking my first active player.

After three pillages getting 1,500 Wood, and 300 to 600 wine and crystal each I have recieved a PM asking for me to stop attacking and he will give me resources if I want them.

Do I hold him to ransom, or give my soldiers some more action. NPAX.. the decision is yours!

Red_Cascade on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

After three pillages getting 1,500 Wood, and 300 to 600 wine and crystal each I have recieved a PM asking for me to stop attacking and he will give me resources if I want them.

Do I hold him to ransom, or give my soldiers some more action. NPAX.. the decision is yours!

This sounds like a tax/extortion issue, in that he is supplying resources to a stronger party under menaces. If it is, then you need to get permission from a Game Operator and both parties (you and victim) need to agree in writing. This I had confirmed by a GO last week when I was contemplating something similar.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

With the pushing issue, taking ransom/tax/whatever is too damn much effort. Just pillage him and say you're saving him the effort of shipping it to you.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Am I an ass if I just keep attacking paradoxmd, even as he tries to build up a military, preventing him from growing at all?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531