As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can there be religion without faith?

Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is in some ways a sequel to this thread, which I feel was ruined by the word "atheist" (which is a word I will not use, and I beg you all to do the same), and follows up some of the unaddressed points from this thread, around page 49 or so.

WARNING:

"Religion" and "faith" are both very mushy, porous words that can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, so I'm going to define my terms right away to let everyone know what I'm talking about. If someone wants to address my points, accept my definitions first. If someone wants to use different definitions for those terms, by all means let everyone know what your definition is. I have seen far, far too many threads about these subjects ruined because people simply talk past each other when a simple check about what the hell you're talking about could make it all better.

For me, I'm going to define what I mean by faith and try very hard to never use it again in this thread, as that word is a particularly egregious offender in the "I can't tell what the hell you are talking about" realm, even when it's been defined. My use in the OP was only to get you to come into the thread in the first place. Sorry if you feel cheated.

When I say "religion", I'm using this definition, gleaned from Wikipedia:
…a set of beliefs and practices, often centered upon specific supernatural and moral claims about reality, the cosmos, and human nature, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law.
When I say "faith", I'm using this definition, which I pulled from the American Heritage Dictionary:
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
Now, with that out of the way...

Here Is What I'm Talking About:

I see a lot of people having fun and being in nifty religious communities and such, and I’d like a piece of that, but… there’s nothing out there that really suits me. I feel kind of like a Buddhist in a Christian world, except I’m not even a Buddhist.

As such, I want to either join or start a new religion for people similar to me, I want to be a part of something that can introduce a way of life and school of thought similar to mine to people who don’t currently share or know about it.

So, I defined "religion" above, but what the hell am I talking about? I don't believe in anything that's "supernatural". I think the meaning of the word itself is kind of convoluted and worthless. Can I take the definition from above, but accept that "...often ... supernatural..." is not the same as always supernatural? Can I have a religion that doesn't impel one to believe in magic, doesn't require one to believe things that are tenuous?

I don't see why not. And I don't see why I shouldn't.

The religion, Christianity, to take one example, is often derived from the perceived life of Jesus, as told in the bible, with lots of extrapolations made by examining the text. There are plenty of other flavors as well.

Could there be a religion based on materialistic determinism? My Facebook profile lists my religious views as being "Darwinistically cynical determinism". Can that be, or at least effectively sum up my religion? Can moral claims be derived from this view, can there be rituals that might be performed to, to... to do something?

I don't see why not.

When I tell myself to "be reasonable" when confronted with something that might cause me to be otherwise, isn't that a ritual? I have a bevy of similar mantras that have worked out pretty well for me (and I suspect I'm not alone in this respect). I have a number of outlooks on life, moral and otherwise, that are almost completely underwritten by an understanding of determinism.

Why is this not a religion? I think it is.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
Loren Michael on

• Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I defined "religion" above, but what the hell am I talking about? I don't believe in anything that's "supernatural". I think the meaning of the word itself is kind of convoluted and worthless. Can I take the definition from above, but accept that "...often ... supernatural..." is not the same as always supernatural? Can I have a religion that doesn't impel one to believe in magic, doesn't require one to believe things that are tenuous?

Why is this not a religion? I think it is.

Well,
    When I say "religion", I'm using this definition, gleaned from Wikipedia:
    …a set of beliefs and practices, often centered upon specific supernatural and moral claims about reality, the cosmos, and human nature, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law.

Religion requires unfounded claims outside the realm of human-created definition. This is what separates religion from philosophy. If the concepts you're dealing with don't exist independently of human creation, they're not religious.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does it have to be a religion?

can't it just be a philosophy of life?

you can have people gather around and be friends and do things (you can call them rituals if you want), but why does it have to be a "religion"?

why can't it just be like a "community" of do-gooders or philosophers or rationalists or whatever?

Ketherial on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pretty much by definition, religion requires belief in something unquantifiable, whether it's a supernatural being, what comes after death, how the universe operates, or something else like that.

Now, you can have a philosophy that you live by that you treat with religious dogmatism, but that doesn't make the philosophy a religious one.

DarkPrimus on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Now, you can have a philosophy that you live by that you treat with religious dogmatism, but that doesn't make the philosophy a religious one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkp7tQG-_A&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well your definition of religion is a bit inclusive, isn't it? I mean:
    1. A set of beliefs and practises
    2. often entered upon specific supernatural and moral claims about reality, the cosmos, and human nature
    3. and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law.
    Since points 2 and 3 are optional, that leaves only point 1 as the real definition of a religion. Which is to say, any set of beliefs and practices is a religion.

To take an example: being a social conservative implies a set of beliefs (that the old ways are best) and practises (defending the old ways against liberals who want to change them) (yes I'm well aware that's a large simplification of what being a conservative is about, but this isn't a politics thread so let's skip the 50-page debate on the tenets of conservatism please). So does that make being a conservative a religion? By your definition, it would seem so.

If you're comfortable with using a definition that allows such a level of generality, then sure, your having a belief in determinism and applying it in practise gives you a religion. So does everyone else. In fact, by that definition, I'd say most people have several religions by that definition.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkp7tQG-_A&feature=related

You bastard, now I want a big steak and some nice red wine.

And that would take me like two week's worth of grocery monies for me.

DarkPrimus on
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Durkheim actually wrestles with these same questions in the conclusion to "The Elementary Forms of the Relgious Life". I think I might have recommended the book to you before; it's really very good.

My clumsy summary of what Durkheim says is, although there is no god or any other supernatural agencies (in his opinion) then religion as a social institution appears from a historical point of view to have been essential to things like social cohesion, people living happy and moral lives, the maintenance of a feeling of meaningfulness in life and so on and so on. And while he sees alternatives to those religious institutions arising, alternatives which are in some ways superior, he also sees that there are essential parts of a person's life which are not catered to at all by these new institutions. He's particularly concerned by the growth of feelings of "anomie", by which he means the feeling that a person has when they don't have a framework of meaning in which to place their lives, and so develop a restless sense that they might as well do anything at all, or equally, not do anything at all. One could make an argument that "anomie" is another word for depression.

He writes speculatively about the possibility for the development of some kind of "civic religion", which would serve the functional purposes of religion without the supernatural baggage... and while he tries to be hopeful about it, one gets the sense that there are serious obstacles to the development of such a thing. Anyway, if you're interested in this stuff, I recommend the book - there are usually cheap copies to be found in 2nd-hand bookshops and the like.

itylus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would Unitarians fit what you're going for? Also, perhaps, Humanists.

moniker on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't help but thinking that a religion without the divine aspects would be like a calculator in base-13. Technically possible, but without much use for most people.

Captain Ultra on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you could establish a religion that isn't based around faith in something external to reality or supernatural.

But you'd still have to establish faith in something. In reason, in humanity, perhaps.

A religion oriented around humanism would be quite functional and beneficial, I think.

Pony on
    edited May 2008
    I can't help but thinking that a religion without the divine aspects would be like a calculator in base-13. Technically possible, but without much use for most people.

I don't see how that would be the case.

moniker on
  • ask_leskoask_lesko Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    I think you could establish a religion that isn't based around faith in something external to reality or supernatural.

But you'd still have to establish faith in something. In reason, in humanity, perhaps.

A religion oriented around humanism would be quite functional and beneficial, I think.

I think the hard part would be getting any emotional payoff from it, which is what most people want out of their religion.

To me, the thing that separates religion from philosophy isn't faith, but worship. So what would a Darwinstically cynical determinist worship?

ask_lesko on
    Get free money from the government to open up a coffee shop!
    edited May 2008
    ask_lesko wrote: »

I think the hard part would be getting any emotional payoff from it, which is what most people want out of their religion.

To me, the thing that separates religion from philosophy isn't faith, but worship. So what would a Darwinstically cynical determinist worship?

bolded part i think is definitely true.

Pony on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the word "atheist" (which is a word I will not use, and I beg you all to do the same)

what

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    the word "atheist" (which is a word I will not use, and I beg you all to do the same)

what

atheist only means you don't believe in a deity.

however there are forms of religious faith that are not theistic or centered around a deity.

if you also do not believe in those, atheist as a term doesn't really cut it.

Pony on
    edited May 2008
    Many Buddhists are atheistic, for example. However, they still believe in spiritual things.

DarkPrimus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

what

however there are forms of religious faith that are not theistic or centered around a deity.

Exactly.

The new atheism has at its core a simple epistemological principle: do not believe in any idea unless you have seen objectively verifiable evidence supporting that idea.

However, one can be an atheist (in sense of "I do not believe in God") yet also believe in things that fail the evidence-based litmus test of the new atheism (such as, say, reincarnation).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited May 2008
    I do hate how the term "atheist" is thrown around as catch-all.

If you are going to be inherently skeptical of any proposal that does not have verifiable evidence to support it, there is a word to describe you: skeptical. You are a skeptic.

But debating about the term atheism is exactly what the OP didn't want, so let's drop it.

DarkPrimus on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

what

oh okay

what's the term for "i don't believe in gods or ghosts or magic or any of that"

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2008

what

oh okay

Skeptic.

Pony on
    edited May 2008

what

oh okay

Skeptic.

Cool, that works.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Religion requires unfounded claims outside the realm of human-created definition. This is what separates religion from philosophy. If the concepts you're dealing with don't exist independently of human creation, they're not religious.

With respect to the disagreement part of your post, observe the definition that I used. Also, I don't know what you said in the rest of your post, insofar as it made no sense to me. Please clarify, if it's still relevant.
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Does it have to be a religion? Can't it just be a philosophy of life? You can have people gather around and be friends and do things (you can call them rituals if you want), but why does it have to be a "religion"? Why can't it just be like a "community" of do-gooders or philosophers or rationalists or whatever?

First, and most important, why not? Second, are "philosophies of life" as useful for social cohesion as a religion? Are they as politically powerful? Are the benefits the same? What does "philosophy of life" even mean, and how is it distinct from the definition of religion that I am using?
    Pretty much by definition, religion requires belief in something unquantifiable, whether it's a supernatural being, what comes after death, how the universe operates, or something else like that.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=5493943&postcount=1
    Richy wrote: »
    If you're comfortable with using a definition that allows such a level of generality, then sure, your having a belief in determinism and applying it in practise gives you a religion. So does everyone else. In fact, by that definition, I'd say most people have several religions by that definition.

I agree with you, Richy.
    moniker wrote: »
    Would Unitarians fit what you're going for? Also, perhaps, Humanists.

I assume you're talking about Unitarian Universalists, and I was a part of the UU church until about ten years ago. I assure you, every joke about them is at least 80% true. They simply are extremely incohesive, lack a shared vision, and aren't a terribly compelling institution except for a minority of extremely non-confrontational and/or very confused people. Both of my parents still go (largely for the coffee and community afterwards, and they regularly regale me with stories of how incredibly unsatisfying and incoherent the average sermon is.

Humanism is perhaps closer to the correct track, but it has always struck me as an ideology for individuals, not lending itself effectively to social cohesion and community.

To me, the thing that separates religion from philosophy isn't faith, but worship. So what would a Darwinistically cynical determinist worship?

bolded part i think is definitely true.

Pony, this thread is for the express purpose of exploring the red statement that I quoted. Could you flesh that out a little, and/or provide an argument, please?

Regarding the bolded bit, given my own experience as an emotionally extremely satisfied individual, *I* don't think it's particularly hard. That said, my experience is uniquely my own, and I agree that it's not something that's necessarily easy to reproduce. I think articulating an emotionally satisfying worldview is certainly something worth exploring, however.

Worship: I'm not certain about this being a necessary feature. I'm not completely clear on what you mean by it, but if it's something roughly in line with "reverence toward and object or concept", I don't think there is a dearth of ideas, people, and phenomenon worthy of reverence. Perhaps you could elaborate, ask_lesko?

Finally, itylus, I recall you recommending that book to me, and it sounds both compelling and interesting, but I am sadly in a place that has a dearth of English books.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ask_leskoask_lesko Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Worship: I'm not certain about this being a necessary feature. I'm not completely clear on what you mean by it, but if it's something roughly in line with "reverence toward and object or concept", I don't think there is a dearth of ideas, people, and phenomenon worthy of reverence. Perhaps you could elaborate, ask_lesko?

I see it as the primary thing that separates religion from philosophy and science. All are interested in truth, but religion adds worship of the Truth that it finds. So I'd call it necessary to make it religion over philosophy.

So what is worship? My definition would be "love and devotion to something above." Maybe above all, maybe just above normal. It's stronger than respect or even reverence. I revere the U.S. Constitution but don't worship it. I also think that worship includes sacrifice. Either of time, money, attention, whatever, to demonstrate devotion.

Not the clearest thoughts, but there it is.

ask_lesko on
    Get free money from the government to open up a coffee shop!
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loren, aren't you essentially talking about an Elk's Club, or a fraternity? If you divorce the faith and the supernatural salvation from religion, all you really have left is a social hierarchy and a set of rituals.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does it have to be a religion? Can't it just be a philosophy of life? You can have people gather around and be friends and do things (you can call them rituals if you want), but why does it have to be a "religion"? Why can't it just be like a "community" of do-gooders or philosophers or rationalists or whatever?

First, and most important, why not?

no specific reason. it does smack of wanting to be "different" and "edgy" just for the sake of being different and edgy though. i also think trying to label yourself as a religion likely brings upon your group more headaches than benefits.

i mean, seriously, let's pretend everyone in your group understands perfectly and abides by your definition of "religion". how many people in the real world will see it that way?

i say, just call it as it is. what you're proposing is not a religion as one would understand the word in a casual sense. it's just a group of people with similar interests. and that's fine.
    Second, are "philosophies of life" as useful for social cohesion as a religion? Are they as politically powerful? Are the benefits the same?

sure. i mean there are lots of institutions that arent centered around religion that are powerful and socially cohesive. occupational communities and racial communities spring to mind. isnt the corn lobby like hugely powerful and responsible for much of the world's evils? what about racial groups? i bet most large corporations wield immense power and have wonderful internal communities.

i think benefits and power come from group activity, not necessarily from what that group specifically holds up as it's reason to be a group.
    What does "philosophy of life" even mean, and how is it distinct from the definition of religion that I am using?

honestly, im not sure how "philosophy of life" is distinct from the term "religion" as you are using it. however, im quite certain that philosophy of life is very distinct from the term religion as normally used.

in other words, i dont know why you want to use the word religion, but give it a totally different meaning.

i can call my philosophy of life something like "objective truth", but what does that do for me or anyone? does it suddenly make what i do more convincing or lend legitimacy to my point of view?

i think in order for your proposal to have any utility, the proposal itself must have inherent value, regardless of how you label it. you can call it a religion, an association, a company, a social circle, a book club, whatever.

but personally, i think you're focusing on the wrong issue. what should be more important to you is figuring out how to gather the community you are describing and ensure that it can act together with one voice. once you have gathered the group / association / community, the social cohesion, political power and benefits will follow.

and you won't have to call it a religion, because it's not one (at least not in the real world).

Ketherial on
    edited May 2008

I agree with Pony.

And I think that Loren's definitions make allowances for that. If we define a religion as "a set of beliefs and practises" and one lives one's life according to these beliefs, then one has an implicit faith that those beliefs are true. That's using the OP definition that faith is a "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence". As far as I know, no set of beliefs (that can be labelled as "religion" in the context of this thread) have been proven true through logical inference or material evidence.

So to answer the question that is the thread title, and using the definitions in the OP, I don't think there can be religion without faith. The simple act of picking a religion, a set of beliefs by which to guide your life, implies faith, an unproven belief that said set of beliefs is right.

Take determinism, which is the topic matter of this thread. In my limited understanding - and feel free to correct me if I get it wrong - it is a theory that all our actions and reasoning are solely governed by the predictable and quantifiable interactions of elementary particles with no allowances for free will, and that if we could measure and quantify all particles in the universe then we could predict exactly who will do what when and where. That is unprovable. Measuring and quantifying exactly all particles in the universe, or in a subset thereof, is physically impossible (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and so on), so it will never be possible to prove or demonstrate determinism. But Loren seems to have derived a set of beliefs based on determinism and practises them in his life (i.e. a religion by this thread's definition), and in doing so makes an assumption that determinism is true despite a lack of solid logical proof for it (i.e. faith).

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So to answer the question that is the thread title, and using the definitions in the OP, I don't think there can be religion without faith. The simple act of picking a religion, a set of beliefs by which to guide your life, implies faith, an unproven belief that said set of beliefs is right.

Well, it is possible to have religion without faith. Like, you're born into religion and raised according to its teachings, but instead of having faith in those teachings you're just going with the motions because that's just the way you were brought up and you can't really be arsed to do anything about it. I don't see that requiring faith.

reVerse on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Were the Epicureans religious?

emnmnme on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, to answer the OP according to the definitions of choice he is using in this context, there can't be (that is, I don't think so). It wouldn't make sense. I usually hear about it spoken about in the context of how strong one's faith is in their religion (or specific aspects of that religion). So faith would be a measurement, I suppose, of how strong one is a part of their religion.

Going away from that set definition business just quick; Myself (and just a few others I know of) while having faith (and following a religion thusly) tend to treat the religion as more of a code of conduct. How we carry ourselves, interact with others, etc. Then again, the definition talks about religious law, etc, so I suppose it's not that far off.

Henroid on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loren Michael, The Unitarian Universalists look to be exactly what you are looking for. Religion with out a dogma, it's pretty much the Secular Humanist religion. They do not reject faith in a higher power, but they do consider it unimportant.

The seven principles :
    The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
    Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Couldn't something like the Hippie movement, or some sort of large social movement be what the OP is talking about?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2008
    I see it as the primary thing that separates religion from philosophy and science. All are interested in truth, but religion adds worship of the Truth that it finds. So I'd call it necessary to make it religion over philosophy.

So what is worship? My definition would be "love and devotion to something above." Maybe above all, maybe just above normal. It's stronger than respect or even reverence. I revere the U.S. Constitution but don't worship it. I also think that worship includes sacrifice. Either of time, money, attention, whatever, to demonstrate devotion.

It's still a little fuzzy, but perhaps, again, take this to determinism. Given determinism, everyone on earth is literally doing the best they can. They really have no choice in the matter. When a person fucks up, when there is a "failure of humanity" on any level, when a person does even the most heinous crime, he is only doing the best he can.

Given determinism, hatred, even anger are entirely baseless- they are without logical grounding. Yes, we certainly feel them still, but even a moment of reflection can turn anger at some asshole into sadness about the human condition.

At this point, another reflective moment might lead one to ponder what might be done. Given that we're all essentially prisoners of our respective histories, it seems like the only useful thing to do is improve the human condition. To maximize overall happiness. If we're all prisoners of our destinies, we might as well be happy prisoners, right?

How do we maximize overall happiness? Convince everyone to be thoroughly self-sacrificing. To hold doors open whenever the amount of trouble we save them is even infinitesimally greater than the trouble we take. We should, in short, go through life considering the welfare of everyone else exactly as important as our own welfare. That is, love everyone else as we do ourselves.

So, perhaps elevating the human condition, and "worshiping" the agents involved (our fellow humans). Sacrifice for them, love them as we do ourselves.
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Loren, aren't you essentially talking about an Elk's Club, or a fraternity? If you divorce the faith and the supernatural salvation from religion, all you really have left is a social hierarchy and a set of rituals.

I would hope to do something a little more focused, a little more concerned with being ideologically influential while being less concerned with membership.

I'm also wondering if, maybe, the salvation can be left in, just taking out the unrealistic and incomprehensible "supernatural" bits of it.
    First, and most important, why not?

no specific reason. it does smack of wanting to be "different" and "edgy" just for the sake of being different and edgy though. i also think trying to label yourself as a religion likely brings upon your group more headaches than benefits.

I mean, seriously, let's pretend everyone in your group understands perfectly and abides by your definition of "religion". how many people in the real world will see it that way?

In other words, I don't know why you want to use the word religion, but give it a totally different meaning.

And you won't have to call it a religion, because it's not one (at least not in the real world).

Well, as I said before, I got that definition from Wikipedia. A quick glance at dictionary.com lists more of the same, and even a few that are even kinder to the idea of a faithless faith, so it's not "my definition" of religion, per se. There's also a fairly common argument within the evangelical community to label evolution and, sorry for bringing it up when I expressly forbade it, atheism religions (though the reasons are malign, of course, the sentiment is out there)...

Basically, I don't think it would come as a complete surprise to a lot of people. As for people "not seeing that way", well, religion is amazingly porous and non-distinct in definition. Again, everything I've mentioned pertaining to the definition of religion hasn't sprung from any contortions, it's merely noting the paucity of anything even close to concrete definitions that would exclude this idea.
    I think benefits and power come from group activity, not necessarily from what that group specifically holds up as it's reason to be a group.

I can call my philosophy of life something like "objective truth", but what does that do for me or anyone? does it suddenly make what i do more convincing or lend legitimacy to my point of view?

I think in order for your proposal to have any utility, the proposal itself must have inherent value, regardless of how you label it. you can call it a religion, an association, a company, a social circle, a book club, whatever.

Earlier in this post I laid out a proposal that included group activity and an argument for its value.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Well, it is possible to have religion without faith. Like, you're born into religion and raised according to its teachings, but instead of having faith in those teachings you're just going with the motions because that's just the way you were brought up and you can't really be arsed to do anything about it. I don't see that requiring faith.
    I agree that the situation you describe does not require faith in the subject religion (and that it often occurs in the real world). But can it really be said that such a person has that religion? Religion is "a set of beliefs and practices". The individual described does the practice part, for sure, but he does not share in the beliefs and only does the practice because it's what he's used to and he doesn't want to confront the community/think about it/change his habits.

Rather, I think such a person has a different set of beliefs, one which includes the idea that it's better to mimic people around him to avoid confrontation and/or to keep on old habits he was raised with and focus his attention on other matters. Practically speaking he will behave exactly like a member of the religion he was brought up with, but the set of beliefs causing the behaviour are completely different. That would make him a member of a different religion, though one that is indistinguishable from the original religion from the outside.

And like anyone else, our person would have faith that his belief in non-confrontation or that other matters are more important to focus on is the right one.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2008
    Take determinism, which is the topic matter of this thread. In my limited understanding - and feel free to correct me if I get it wrong - it is a theory that all our actions and reasoning are solely governed by the predictable and quantifiable interactions of elementary particles with no allowances for free will, and that if we could measure and quantify all particles in the universe then we could predict exactly who will do what when and where. That is unprovable. Measuring and quantifying exactly all particles in the universe, or in a subset thereof, is physically impossible (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and so on), so it will never be possible to prove or demonstrate determinism. But Loren seems to have derived a set of beliefs based on determinism and practises them in his life (i.e. a religion by this thread's definition), and in doing so makes an assumption that determinism is true despite a lack of solid logical proof for it (i.e. faith).

Sorry for not defining that term.

Simply put, we are all products of our genes and our environment, neither of which is under our control. Everything we do, everything we will do, is subject to these two forces, and we can't do anything about it, as we are all thoroughly within the prison of genetics and environment the moment we are conceived.

One could try to articulate that there is something more, but one will immediately find such a something impossible to visualize or articulate clearly , for anything that is not in our genes or environment is imperceptible, and I would argue, largely inconceivable.

The measuring particles thing is Laplace's demon, which is an interesting hypothesis that fits within a deterministic frame.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2008

Simply put, we are all products of our genes and our environment, neither of which is under our control. Everything we do, everything we will do, is subject to these two forces, and we can't do anything about it, as we are all thoroughly within the prison of genetics and environment the moment we are conceived.

One could try to articulate that there is something more, but one will immediately find such a something impossible to visualize or articulate clearly , for anything that is not in our genes or environment is imperceptible, and I would argue, largely inconceivable.

The measuring particles thing is Laplace's demon, which is an interesting hypothesis that fits within a deterministic frame.
    Thank you for clarifying the notion of determinism, Loren.

Still, the part I bolded requires some degree of faith, in my opinion. A lot of people try to change themselves through conscious effort - fighting back against the impulses that their genes and environment dictate - and some even claim to succeed. Other people do things on a whim that seem to defy all social or genetic programming; the classic example of someone risking his life to save a complete stranger would apply here.

I'd be a bit more comfortable with an engineering metaphor, given my professional training. You're basically saying that humans are machine, playing out an internal program that has been dictated by genetics and environment. But you're also making two assumptions, that it is impossible for the machine to modify that program by itself (self-determinism, people changing themselves) and that it is impossible to act in contradiction with the program (free will, risking yourself for a stranger). These are two assumptions I do not believe you can prove (and therefore require faith), and a lot of people would provide evidence to the contrary that you cannot disprove (and therefore would have to account for on faith, by saying something along the lines of "there has got to be a genetic/environmental explanation for this behaviour that we do not know yet").

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2008

Still, the part I bolded requires some degree of faith, in my opinion. A lot of people try to change themselves through conscious effort - fighting back against the impulses that their genes and environment dictate - and some even claim to succeed. Other people do things on a whim that seem to defy all social or genetic programming; the classic example of someone risking his life to save a complete stranger would apply here.

I'd be a bit more comfortable with an engineering metaphor, given my professional training. You're basically saying that humans are machine, playing out an internal program that has been dictated by genetics and environment. But you're also making two assumptions, that it is impossible for the machine to modify that program by itself (self-determinism, people changing themselves) and that it is impossible to act in contradiction with the program (free will, risking yourself for a stranger). These are two assumptions I do not believe you can prove (and therefore require faith), and a lot of people would provide evidence to the contrary that you cannot disprove (and therefore would have to account for on faith, by saying something along the lines of "there has got to be a genetic/environmental explanation for this behavior that we do not know yet").

Again, everything that you do and will do is dictated by what has come before. Every decision you make and will make is a product of your environment reflected off what is in your brain. This includes conscious decisions. The conscious decision to change your behavior isn't freed from the confines of your brain and body, and anything that would "seem to defy all social and genetic programming" would apparently not.

I'm comfortable with the analogy of machines, but I'm not suggesting that one's program can't e modified. I'm simply saying that the modifications are necessarily dictated by the programming.

I'm not sure what place the situation of "risking one's life for a stranger" has in this discussion (as you seem to be suggesting that genetics and environment can't account for someone risking his life for a stranger...?) and "free will" is pretty much inconceivable.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loren, it sounds like you just want to hang out with a community of like-minded people.

Want to hang out?

Qingu on
    edited May 2008
    Couldn't something like the Hippie movement, or some sort of large social movement be what the OP is talking about?

Freemasons. Less patchouli stench, more getting shit done. Like fighting those bastards in the Illuminati.

moniker on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Freemasons. Less patchouli stench, more getting shit done. Like fighting those bastards in the Illuminati.
    I was thinking about starting a new one: the Cult of the Emergent God. (Transhumanist-flavored)

Qingu on
  • MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I wasn't at work I could get the specific video and time for you guys but part of this interview w/ Penn and Teller (it's broken up into ~7 videos) at The Amazing Meeting goes into this a bit. Penn points out that the OED and AHD definitions of religion indicate a belief in someone/something supernatural, and that a group that doesn't necessarily believe in the supernatural doesn't have any reason to try to identify itself with a word that is more typically associated with the supernatural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbf_7B9dGw0

Edit: Different video, should be about 3:20 ish into this one

Saying religion is explicity defined as just "A set of beliefs and practices" is, according to the vast majority of definitions, severely oversimplifying the issue. "A set of beliefs and practices" can be something as simple as "I believe when the phone rings there is someone calling me. In practice, I pick up the phone with the hope of finding out who it is"

MikeMcSomething on