As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

• squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh, it will. The common "Go google, you'll find 5-10% drop benchmarks" comments will be even more laughable now with their year old benchmarks and the driver problem will also continue to be laughable and aside from those 2, what else are the Vista complaints? It's amazing the version of Windows with the least problems and with the most non-issues (Or at least comparable to being a gaping security hole that XP was) has become one of the most hated by self-righteous, hypocritical, moronic 'bloggers' on the Internet.

I just kind of had an epiphany while replying to some Moron on Digg.

With Vista, bar WinFS (Which according to Allchin, MS managed to achieve a lot of what they wanted in Vista though on more of a surface level) and flashy things ala PDC 2003, Vista is substantially more than what we were promised with Longhorn and there really was very, very, very few things cut. Also, out of the few things cut, we have many, for example, PowerShell. Actually, I'll correct myself there, PowerShell never actually really was apart of Longhorn and was never in early Longhorn builds as detailed in this article aptly titled, Vista's Mythical Cut Features -- it's so true, all people say chant is "WinFS WinFS WinFS" and than they quietly disappear..

He brought up the '3 pillars of Longhorn' of which were Avalon, Indigo and Fundamentals. 2 of those (Avalon/Indigo) are present in Vista but are renamed (Windows Presentation Foundation/Windows Communication Foundation) and the third pillar, Fundamentals, which isn't so easily explained is more or less present too.

I think I should an article detailing all this but I still have nowhere to post it and it'd take some time, especially to fact check. D: But what you can take from this small post is this, if I'm correct, Vista is greater than what Microsoft promised with Longhorn and a much, much, much bigger upgrade/overhaul. I mean, Longhorn was based on XP for crying out loud and any of you who used the early Longhorn builds would know how horrible it was and Microsoft's shoe-horning of features on was a disaster greater than that of the Hindenburg, ten fold.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Longhorn did have one awesome thing, though. The ctrl+alt+del screen. With the moving Windows logo? That was epic.

LaCabra on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Because the bloggers actually got an audience this time around, I doubt they'll ever let up. It is actually hip to hate Vista, and the negative articles get mass media coverage.

Ultimately, though, I think MS should have realized this (the pattern is pretty obvious from past releases, minus the level of mass-market attention) and slipped it out as a true "sacrificial lamb" to push Windows technology into the modern era.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Another thing that I hate with the whole WinFS is that fact that so many people chant it (especially on digg) yet still think it's a file system. I can't even stand to read PC Mag anymore with all the pathetic Vista hate. I've been running Ultimate since almost 3 months after launch (had to wait for a video driver from ATI) and never had a problem that I didn't cause on my own messing with stuff. It's a great OS.

Dark Shroud on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i like messing with the Junctions and Symbolic Links. they're neat.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, got Vista all set up. First impression is... Why you got to change so much MS :| I guess I'll get used to it.

Is there a way to turn off the Favorite Links thing in Explorer?

Zek on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    So, got Vista all set up. First impression is... Why you got to change so much MS :| I guess I'll get used to it.

Is there a way to turn off the Favorite Links thing in Explorer?
    Organize > Layout > Navigation Pane

Alternately you can drag the folder tree pane up until it fully covers the Favorite Links

Azio on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm happy with Vista now that I've got it up and running the way I like. It shouldn't have to be such a hassle to hunt down working drivers and whatnot though... and there are a couple programs out there that aren't Vista compatible for god knows what reason... but I digress.

It is a good OS.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm happy with Vista now that I've got it up and running the way I like. It shouldn't have to be such a hassle to hunt down working drivers and whatnot though... and there are a couple programs out there that aren't Vista compatible for god knows what reason... but I digress.

It is a good OS.

Are you running 64-bit? Just curious, because I had very little issue with drivers. So far the only thing I've had serious driver issues with is this POS Bluetooth dongle I bought. I managed to hose it to the point that nothing fucking works anymore, and I'm pretty sure I managed to hose things to the point that I'd not be able to install a better Bluetooth device, either. I got a little wild when trying to fix the issue (specifically getting a Wii remote to work properly with it) and google turned out to not be my friend.

mcdermott on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That I am.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had an Iomega blutooth thing and it does not work and I refuse to try anymore.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I just hit my first real gripe with Vista itself.

I frequently break my installations due to deep level bugs while programming. I'm used to it, it's my fault. My favorite tool of XP was the ability to "repair" a system by reinstalling all the defaults over the previous installation, but not removing any files. Vista seems to no longer support this. It's either "wipe everything" or nothing.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I just realised that the other day at work. If Vista stops starting up the startup repair thing is good and usually works, but there's no XP-style "fix-windows-without-touching-my-shit" thing like I loved about XP.

Definitely the biggest flaw I've found with Vista.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    This?

Looks like a disk-based "fix install" tool.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Dear everyone who uses Vista:

I highly recommend: Vista Codec Package for all your media playback needs. If you run a 64 bit system, there is an add-on package with x64 components.

Also, TweakVI. Gives you access to tons of options and 'tweaks' that are normally buried away in the depths of Vista. For those of us running 64 bit systems with redonkulous amounts of ram (4GB or more) you can use this tool to make Vista run it's core components from ram rather than a page file. Very nice.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I highly recommend: Vista Codec Package for all your media playback needs. If you run a 64 bit system, there is an add-on package with x64 components.

CCCP works on Vista with no problem what so ever. And it won't cause codec problem either. http://cccp-project.net/

The only downside is that Zoom player doesn't work on Vista. So you either use Media Player Classic or just stick with WMP since it works very well.

Dark Shroud on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

CCCP works on Vista with no problem what so ever. And it won't cause codec problem either. http://cccp-project.net/

The only downside is that Zoom player doesn't work on Vista. So you either use Media Player Classic or just stick with WMP since it works very well.

MPC doesn't totally support certain subtitle formats or multiple a/v tracks though, when ZoomPlayer does. So that's kind of a loss.

No specific examples, but I've had a couple video files where I couldn't get at the subtitle track in MPC or WMP.

LoneIgadzra on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i have the CCCP installed on my Vista machine, and Zoom player works great.

are you using the latest version?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited May 2008

I have not had any codec problems with Vista Codec Package.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just in case it hasn't been posted yet. Anybody get a look at this?

Looks like Microsoft's answer to Google Earth (Space Feature only), Stellarium, and Celestia:
    World Wide Telescope

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited May 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

Looks like Microsoft's answer to Google Earth (Space Feature only), Stellarium, and Celestia:
    World Wide Telescope

Yup. It is pretty awesome. It's worth it for the guided tours alone. There's Google Earth style representations of the terrestrial planets and some of the moons, and all kinds of crazy shit like letting you view the entire sky in infrared, or x-ray, and get close up views of nebulae and galaxies. It's pretty damn cool.

I wouldn't consider it a replacement for Google Earth though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    This?

That's the same "Startup Repair" that's on the Vista disk. It only fixes problems that prevent Vista from starting up, not actual issues with it running correctly.

jonxp on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok, here's my story with Vista.

I installed it, stock drivers it ran Prime95 for 4 hours fine. Installed all drivers. Last driver to install was my Nvidia graphics driver. I downloaded the newest one, installed, rebooted. BSOD.

Ok, great. Safe mode, uninstall, rip all reg entries out, restart. Generic driver reinstalled. Yay! Browse to extracted driver folder in Device Manager, install specific display driver. Reboot.

Fine! Install Orange Box, TrackMania Nations, start 3dMark Vantage.

BSOD. Crap. Safe mode, diagnostic startup, reboot. Check GPU-Z. Normal temp. Uninstall graphics driver and rip out reg entries. Reboot.

Generic Driver again.

Took me over a month of using the generic Windows driver before Nvidia got a working driver for my 8800GTX. Funny enough, I was still able to game using the generic driver. No noticeable difference using the Nvidia release, except I could use all the TV-out functions and color correction features lol.

GG Nvidia programmers. Way to get schooled.

1ddqd on
    edited May 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    This?

That's the same "Startup Repair" that's on the Vista disk. It only fixes problems that prevent Vista from starting up, not actual issues with it running correctly.

I see. I'm not too familiar with the XP tool.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I think it basically just gives you a new Windows folder and leaves your registry and settings alone, which is amazingly neat, I repaired recently and all I had to change after was to run the Uxtheme.dll hack again.
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Ok, here's my story with Vista.

I installed it, stock drivers it ran Prime95 for 4 hours fine. Installed all drivers. Last driver to install was my Nvidia graphics driver. I downloaded the newest one, installed, rebooted. BSOD.

Ok, great. Safe mode, uninstall, rip all reg entries out, restart. Generic driver reinstalled. Yay! Browse to extracted driver folder in Device Manager, install specific display driver. Reboot.

Fine! Install Orange Box, TrackMania Nations, start 3dMark Vantage.

BSOD. Crap. Safe mode, diagnostic startup, reboot. Check GPU-Z. Normal temp. Uninstall graphics driver and rip out reg entries. Reboot.

Generic Driver again.

Took me over a month of using the generic Windows driver before Nvidia got a working driver for my 8800GTX. Funny enough, I was still able to game using the generic driver. No noticeable difference using the Nvidia release, except I could use all the TV-out functions and color correction features lol.

GG Nvidia programmers. Way to get schooled.
    Yeah, the stock drivers Vista automatically installs are surprisingly rad.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

World Wide Telescope

Yup. It is pretty awesome. It's worth it for the guided tours alone. There's Google Earth style representations of the terrestrial planets and some of the moons, and all kinds of crazy shit like letting you view the entire sky in infrared, or x-ray, and get close up views of nebulae and galaxies. It's pretty damn cool.

I wouldn't consider it a replacement for Google Earth though.

Oh I agree. Google Earth is still a must install. It's much more broader than WWT.

But apps like these show that Microsoft is capable of pulling an Apple. If MS bundled software like this, they would really have a competitor towards OSX in regards to user features.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited May 2008

Do either of these detect codecs already installed? I found out that the K-Lite Codec Pack does so I'm inclined to try that instead and it seems decent these days.

I can't decide out of the 3 to install. :x CCCP seems to be the most lean but does it also contain files need for encoding? Edit: CCCP seems to detect things already installed that may cause problems, yay.

squirly on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    squirly wrote: »

Do either of these detect codecs already installed? I found out that the K-Lite Codec Pack does so I'm inclined to try that instead and it seems decent these days.

I can't decide out of the 3 to install. :x CCCP seems to be the most lean but does it also contain files need for encoding? Edit: CCCP seems to detect things already installed that may cause problems, yay.

I use the K-lite pack for all my codec needs. I always find the full pack has enough customisation for what i need.
    Seems to work for x64 too.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited May 2008
    I've found Klite is good, but has a ton of codecs I'll never need. I use VLC, which installs the codecs itself; never really had an issue this way and saves me downloading an extra codec pack! Just my 2 cents

1ddqd on
    edited May 2008
    I've used CCCP for years now, and it's been a great codec pack. Efficient, stable, and can play a whole lot of different video and audio streams.

The most important factor of CCCP for me is the fact that the group that develops CCCP strives to make an FFDSHOW version codec pack that does not mess with or muck up the direct show system in Windows.

victor_c26 on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dunno about on Vista, but CCCP is the best for the afforementioned ffdshow reason. You don't need to worry about it installing a bunch of shit that you have no clue about (and may or may not conflict), since it only installs ffdshow and a bunch of plugins.

It also works for all the weird shit I've thrown at it.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited May 2008
    I can attest the same fact in Vista as well.

victor_c26 on
    edited May 2008
    Eh, well I went with CCCP and all seems fine so far except the right codec to be able to encode something with WME is missing but I don't really need that, I have other programs that should suffice.

squirly on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should also grab CoreAVC or some other h.264 codec for faster decoding on HD videos

Azio on
    edited May 2008
    I've found Klite is good, but has a ton of codecs I'll never need. I use VLC, which installs the codecs itself; never really had an issue this way and saves me downloading an extra codec pack! Just my 2 cents

Just a note: VLC doesn't install any codecs, it has built in libraries so as to not rely on codecs. An installed codec means that any media player on your system created for Windows (WinAMP, Media Player, etc) can play media encoded in that format. VLC does not enable this, it just plays the files itself.

jonxp on
    edited May 2008
    Thank you for the clarification. I was, perhaps, oversimplifying

Or, perhaps, just wrong.

1ddqd on
  • DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey windows peeps

I'm in the process of planning a new PC. This PC will have 4gb ram, and an Intel E8400 3GHz chip.

Should I get 32 bit vista or 64 bit vista? My friends, who dont know much (but know more than me) say its a trade off between accessing all my ram (32 bit) and suffering poor drivers/compatability issues (64 bit). Is this indeed the case?

Djinn on
    edited May 2008
    Oh no, not this again. :P

What's the rest of your hardware? Basically, what GPU and what motherboard? There are very few driver/compatibility issues with the 64 version, your friend sounds like he's exaggerating..

squirly on
    edited May 2008
    Unless you have some super cheap Chinese hardware, or your hardware makers are obstinate fools, you don't really run in to issues with 64-bit drivers lately.

jonxp on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

Just a note: VLC doesn't install any codecs, it has built in libraries so as to not rely on codecs. An installed codec means that any media player on your system created for Windows (WinAMP, Media Player, etc) can play media encoded in that format. VLC does not enable this, it just plays the files itself.

Yeah its why i use the codec packs and go through advanced mode getting rid of one's i don't need.
    I have VLC aswell just incase something doesn't play.
    I also had to download Real Alternative which is a lifesaver for rmvb files.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs