As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ikariam: a new era of Pax Arcadia arises

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Am I an ass if I just keep attacking paradoxmd, even as he tries to build up a military, preventing him from growing at all?

No. I'm having to do that to one guy cause he proved he couldn't be trusted with a military.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Am I an ass if I just keep attacking paradoxmd, even as he tries to build up a military, preventing him from growing at all?

No. I'm having to do that to one guy cause he proved he couldn't be trusted with a military.

I wonder if he's trying to build up a military to get back at me, or if it's to keep me from getting my hands on his sweet, sweet resources, since he's using them up to build an army.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wine colony is go! [51:58] > Beersheba

I guess that's unnecessary since it shows your towns in the alliance roster, but there it is.

Also, building it shot my score up to nearly 6k, so I'm in the top 5000 now :)

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Note on Museums. If you have exactly 0 spare dongs then you can neither send nor accept cultural treaties. One or more spare dongs and you can accept treaties. One or more spare slots and you can both send and receive treaties.
    I find it odd that until now I hadn't thought of the implications of filling our slots with dongs.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, what are you guys doing that keeps you in such negative cash flow?

I'm currently positive on 4 of 5 cities, with a net of +3000/hr, and it's not like I don't have a large standing army either! Makes me wonder if I could climb even higher if I doubled my raiding forces...

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do you have like 500 researchers and sprint level on your marble and crystal mines?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm usually at -600gold an hour when not moving troops.

110 ballista ships, 160 phalanx, about 100 archers, four cooks and four doctors. My three level twelve, one level ten and one up-and-coming academies running full speed costs quite a bit of upkeep.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just found out I can't blockade an inactive to remove their pesky ships from their harbors. ANGER

That is so retarded.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Frustrating, yes, but you'll live.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My academies are 14,12,11,9,4. I currently have 12,457 income.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Red_CascadeRed_Cascade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I just started attacking my first active player.

After three pillages getting 1,500 Wood, and 300 to 600 wine and crystal each I have recieved a PM asking for me to stop attacking and he will give me resources if I want them.

Do I hold him to ransom, or give my soldiers some more action. NPAX.. the decision is yours!

With the pushing issue, taking ransom/tax/whatever is too damn much effort. Just pillage him and say you're saving him the effort of shipping it to you.

Hehe, funny thing is he actually has higher rated cities than me :)

Decided on this reply, and have my Blockade on the way and troops ready to follow.
    Ahh, well I thought I would save you the trouble of having to ship stuff to me. however seeing as you asked so nicely, my forces are going on one last trip to see you and will then have a little rest :)

I am sure that your forces (should you build some) would not like visiting me... I have walls, large spikey walls, made of spikey stuff.

On the 13.05.2008 17:53 qazwaz wrote::
    > HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want resources let me know stop attacking me

Red_Cascade on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, I just started attacking my first active player.

After three pillages getting 1,500 Wood, and 300 to 600 wine and crystal each I have recieved a PM asking for me to stop attacking and he will give me resources if I want them.

Do I hold him to ransom, or give my soldiers some more action. NPAX.. the decision is yours!

With the pushing issue, taking ransom/tax/whatever is too damn much effort. Just pillage him and say you're saving him the effort of shipping it to you.

Hehe, funny thing is he actually has higher rated cities than me :)

That part doesn't really matter mind you. Some people don't understand when to upgrade their cities and do it all the time. I know on the Delta server my first island had people with like level 5 cities in like the first 30min of the game (well however long it takes to upgrade that much) but had no people in the mines and had tremendously low scores compared to my one level 2 or 3 city.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Do you have like 500 researchers and sprint level on your marble and crystal mines?

My academies are at 15,14,12,11,6, and I'm fully maxed on both marble islands...I don't bother going beyond normal worker levels on the others though.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hm. Clearly I need to convince my citizens to reproduce faster.

Baidol on
  • Options
    maturinmaturin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    @ Woggle , I use slingers on inactives with no military, because its the cheapest upkeep cost. Weird but there is this one inactive that is just chewing up my slingers and swordsman.

OK according to the wiki; you can't be blockaded without a trade port. And it takes away the option to blockade another fleet or attack them. And if you have at least one ship in your harbor after you destroy your trade port, that makes you invulnerable to being attacked period. Except land attacks on the same island?

Anyone have real life experience with this? Has anyone been pillaged with no trade port and at least one ship in your harbor?

maturin on
    Danes have the DONG ENERGY !
    tomblag
    19,48 / Gulf of Blag / Sulfur
    10,40 / Blager Fjord / Marble
    14,45 / Blaget Sound / Wine
    12,53 / Blaga Bay / Crystal
    25,42 / Blagoon Cove / Marble
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    maturin wrote: »
    @ Woggle , I use slingers on inactives with no military, because its the cheapest upkeep cost. Weird but there is this one inactive that is just chewing up my slingers and swordsman.

OK according to the wiki; you can't be blockaded without a trade port. And it takes away the option to blockade another fleet or attack them. And if you have at least one ship in your harbor after you destroy your trade port, that makes you invulnerable to being attacked period. Except land attacks on the same island?

Anyone have real life experience with this? Has anyone been pillaged with no trade port and at least one ship in your harbor?

I've blockaded someone with no trade port.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your fleet has returned to Ered Mithrin from plundering

* Gold: 8755
    * Building material: 3638
    * Wine: 386
    * Marble: 472

Second and third raid underway. :D

Aldo on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    R.U, Darian, Turtle, I am of the opinion we keep an eye on SoD. He has a legitimate grudge against us now, so it is within our interests to make sure he doesn't get too powerful. I don't mean we grind him into the earth, but we should hit him enough for him to realise we won't let him build large offensive forces.

At present he has 8 fireships on defence at his capital. I would take them out but my offensive fleets in that area are cracking other places, one of which is his.

I am also working on a couple of other places if anyone is interested - targets that are largish, with over a mil gold.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    R.U, Darian, Turtle, I am of the opinion we keep an eye on SoD. He has a legitimate grudge against us now, so it is within our interests to make sure he doesn't get too powerful. I don't mean we grind him into the earth, but we should hit him enough for him to realise we won't let him build large offensive forces.

At present he has 8 fireships on defence at his capital. I would take them out but my offensive fleets in that area are cracking other places, one of which is his.

I am also working on a couple of other places if anyone is interested - targets that are largish, with over a mil gold.

I would like some gold... let me know if you need some help with those. On the fireships on defense front, #1, that's just silly. #2, as soon as some of my pillages land to free up action points, I'll pay him another visit with my catapults and fireships.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm more than happy to help hammer some larger targets if you want. I've got a good raiding and blockade force at my first NPAX-area city, and I'm gearing up my other city in that area now.
    I've got fully 3/3 upgraded swordsmen, 1/1 (soon to be 2/1) riflemen, 1/3 ballista ships, and 2/2 fireboats that are itching for some real action.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Karenna, you were asking about the steam giant to phalanx balance. From what I read on the forums, you want about a 10:1 ratio of phalanx:steam giants. The goal is to have enough weak/replacable units around that the big guys just never die.
    I'm doing the same thing with my cooks and doctors, keeping about 10 slingers around for each of them. Might switch that to swordsmen if I ever have enough gold.

Darian on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Karenna, so it looks like Megalodong and Echo Base are close to my towns of Buttons, Socks and Tickles. I'll have a look around for large targets that could be worth a triple wanging

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Darian: Hmm, interesting. That's a much higher ratio than I would have expected...I was thinking keeping a standing force of 10 SGs, 10 phalanx at each city eventually. But your #'s would stick me closer to 3/30.

Kalk: I'll still need another day to get my wang on from Megalodong, but Echo Base is good to go.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A question for one of you career criminals, ehem, I mean "wealth redistribution professionals": I have had a trio of sweet, sweet inactives with zero military that I have been milking for a couple of days. Not much loot, but good for 20k gold a pop. All was well until sometime last night when the raids began to fail. Not used to seeing quite so much red in the combat list....

So target still has zero military, confirmed by spies in each city. The combat report has nothing in it, other than the target listed as victor. No stats whatsoever. What is happening? Is someone else wanging him when I get there? It does not look like I have lost any swords, but due to the high number of troop movements it's hard to tell.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Your units are dying to the wall or town hall. A wall deals 3 damage per level, so a level 3 wall can kill a solo slinger, a level 5 wall can kill a single swordsman, a level 15 wall can kill a single phalanx or archer, etc. Send more or bigger units; each bit of damage is assigned randomly to any of the units in the battle.

Darian on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Slingers always have trouble with the wall... can't seem to find the door.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going after ThuanVM at 46:22. It's a level 18 town with a level 6 wall. His defenses consist of
    Slinger 17
    Swordsman 23
    Phalanx 42
    Catapult 4
    Ram 1
    Cook 1
    Archer 31

I'm sending 100 swordsmen, 45 archers, four doctors and a cook. It will cost me roughly 110k in upkeep, but I should get close to 30k gold per hit. If I hit him 6 times, I'll make my money back and more. Not to mention all the resources.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Your units are dying to the wall or town hall. A wall deals 3 damage per level, so a level 3 wall can kill a solo slinger, a level 5 wall can kill a single swordsman, a level 15 wall can kill a single phalanx or archer, etc. Send more or bigger units; each bit of damage is assigned randomly to any of the units in the battle.

Is there some way the wall could have gotten expanded while the target was inactive? Because the raids were successful several times with the same size assault team.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It could be that he is no longer inactive, but it didn't update right away.

Almost time for a new thread, eh? I suggest Ikariam: Petting All the Kittens Backwards

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm on top of it, his fire ships are no threat to us any longer.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ikariam: Igniting kittens to pet the world backwards

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Almost time for a new thread, eh? I suggest Ikariam: Petting All the Kittens Backwards

Ikariam: The plural of wang is wangxes.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    To make this easier, you could just ask for his unconditional surrender. Then we can place his name in our faction page as our first conquest.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Baidol wrote: »
    To make this easier, you could just ask for his unconditional surrender. Then we can place his name in our faction page as our first conquest.

I think he still needs to be held over the rack a bit longer. He is an ass, after all.

I'll destroy his ships a few more times, then make the offer.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tamorlane wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »

Is there some way the wall could have gotten expanded while the target was inactive? Because the raids were successful several times with the same size assault team.

There's a little randomness in the amount of damage produced. How big were these assault teams? Borderline victory or decisive victory?

Mith on
  • Options
    c.gael.sc.gael.s Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am in dire need of marble. Is there anybody nearby 37:99 that would like to trade me some marble in exchange for a little bit of wine. I have 150 wine.

I'm pretty much stuck until I can build a palace and colonize a marble island. Nobody nearby is selling, and I refuse to ask "Scholomance". -.-

c.gael.s on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Karenna wrote: »

Ikariam: The plural of wang is wangxes.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    c.gael.s wrote: »
    I am in dire need of marble. Is there anybody nearby 37:99 that would like to trade me some marble in exchange for a little bit of wine. I have 150 wine.

I'm pretty much stuck until I can build a palace and colonize a marble island. Nobody nearby is selling, and I refuse to ask "Scholomance". -.-

Do you have the greasemonkey scripts that tell you how much army others have? Look for an inactive/no-army person on a marble island nearby.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    c.gael.sc.gael.s Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    c.gael.s wrote: »

Do you have the greasemonkey scripts that tell you how much army others have? Look for an inactive/no-army person on a marble island nearby.

The problem there is the nearest inactive on a marble island seems to be out of my reach, and they also have a 9k military score (I'm hoping that this is a soft squishy colony). What determines how far you can go/How can I extend my reach into others pockets?

Edit: I suspect that Expansion has something to do with it.

c.gael.s on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mith wrote: »

There's a little randomness in the amount of damage produced. How big were these assault teams? Borderline victory or decisive victory?

I was using my zero mil formation of 10 swords, 5 archers, 1 ram, 1 cook (1 spy inside). The walls were all 60% bonus or less, and I was hitting him with no losses over the past few days. I could take getting beat down by a wall, I guess, but the empty combat report kind of threw me off.

Tamorlane on