As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Greatest Country on Earth!

• KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Why does the stereotype american you see on sitcoms or in movies (I really don't know another kind, so feel free to correct me/call me a moron if this isn't the way many think) remain so stanchly pro-guns. They kill people.

You don't need a gun to kill people.

As much as I'm anti-gun ownership, the whole "they kill people" argument is a load of crap.

Alright: You have an angry madman ( I hate the term but it's just easy to use here) with a gun and an angry madman with a knife. Who is more likely to kill someone?

The answer is obvious. You may not need a gun to kill people but hell, it sure helps.

If you're a mad man and want to kill people, I suggest a few lengths of chain, padlocks, and gasoline.

KMGor on
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    KMGor wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Why does the stereotype american you see on sitcoms or in movies (I really don't know another kind, so feel free to correct me/call me a moron if this isn't the way many think) remain so stanchly pro-guns. They kill people.

As much as I'm anti-gun ownership, the whole "they kill people" argument is a load of crap.

Alright: You have an angry madman ( I hate the term but it's just easy to use here) with a gun and an angry madman with a knife. Who is more likely to kill someone?

The answer is obvious. You may not need a gun to kill people but hell, it sure helps.

If you're a mad man and want to kill people, I suggest a few lengths of chain, padlocks, and gasoline.

Eh?

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    As for all our advertising, it's not nearly as bad as it is in Japan, trust me. We do have our limits.

Most of America is this way. . . but I spent 4 days in Las Vegas for my 21st birthday. Jesus Tapdancing Christ, I have never seen so many adds, everywhere. It is nearly impossible to have your eyes open and not see an advertisement of somekind. Although, mostly flyers for hookers.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited December 2006
    KMGor wrote:
    ege02 wrote:

Eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happyland_Fire

And chain to close off the doors.

KMGor on
  • pirate bobpirate bob Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Since this got off onto a gun tangent here...

I've noticed most South Koreans think that all Americans carry guns, and that the streets are deadly dangerous places, you're just as likely to get shot by a black criminal (actual stereotype, propagated by lots of American television) as make it to the store.

I had a student genuinely shocked and surprised that I don't eat pizza and hamburgers all day, every day. I shock students everyday by understanding the most basic of basics about Korean culture (they're still shocked that I can use chopsticks and can say annyonghaseyo, "hello", even after I tell them I've lived here for a year).

I shock and surprise students when I tell them that, as an American, I've never done drugs.

They believe that everyone has a swimming pool in the backyard (even if they live in the norther parts) and that anyone can afford giant mansions in Malibu and spacious apartments along Central Park.

I had a student planning a week long trip ask how long it takes to drive from LA to New York, as she wanted to visit both places. I laughed.

I'm a proud owner of an Engrish t-shirt "Child -Fast Horse- Prodigy" as English tends to be merely a fashion symbol for businesses, rather than something legible.

All that said, most girls here think that western guys are really cute, romantic, and caring (and according to my GF, the k-girls all think that western guys are absolutely obsessed with them).

Many Koreans think that Paris is by far the most romantic place on Earth. They think that just by going there, roses bloom, lovers meet, and true love is found. Then they go, realize that it's not all that, and are severely let down. Not much different than American's views once were really.

Because of the recent Korea-US FTA talks, and some problems with tiny bits of bone found in US beef, the news here reports that ALL US beef is unsafe and ridden with mad cow disease. Nevermind the sheer amount of bone present in all Korean dishes.

Then they ask what Americans think of Koreans, and I tell them 'nothing.' Maybe nukes, and insane dictator, but the average American knows nothing of South Korea (the non-nuke one btw).

pirate bob on
    sig.jpg
    If I hide myself wherever I go
    Am I ever really there?
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Moridin wrote:
    A few days ago, I made a joking proposition to one of my friends that, to vote, an american citizen should have to be able to pass the AP U.S. History exam, to be administered in some yearly interval.

Then we'd have to cram one more night of every year :(

edit: t pirate bob - that's hilarious. Gotta love stereotypes.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Moridin wrote:
    Marx wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Like with anything else involved in education, the ignorant make victims out of themselves, and the whole world is worse for it.

People should know their history, know their science, know their psychology, know their bodies, know their world, and know how to defend the lot of it.
    Oh, if only that were the case for the masses!

A few days ago, I made a joking proposition to one of my friends that, to vote, an american citizen should have to be able to pass the AP U.S. History exam, to be administered in some yearly interval.

Better yet, the AP U.S. Government exam. Ah, I can't wait to take that one. My gov class kicks ass.

real_pochacco on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    As a European, I find the US voting system horribly silly and open for abuse.

Echo on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    The govt. exam would be better than the history exam. It's proooobably more important for a voter to know whether the house has 2 year terms and the senate 6-year terms, or if it's the other way around, than to know why the Reconstruction was botched. One being more relevant, of course.

I had to look up the term lengths on wiki :(

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Marx wrote:
    While I lack hard evidence, using guns for 'self-defense' seems like the wrong idea.

If you get mugged by two crack addicts, slinging bullets with them (assuming they are armed) will just increase the danger you are in. Wouldn't the better idea be to give them the money and live

If you actually know how to use a gun, rather than just buy it and assume that the bullets know what they are supposed to do, there's no 'slinging' involved.

Besides that, unless they are also armed, one bullet is almost ALWAYS enough to stop any number of attackers.

And money is not always going to be the be all and end all of someone's interests once they know they have some power over you, not to mention that said money may not be going to very good causes.
    Not to mention the higher the probability their potential mugging victim is armed, the lower the probability they'll carry out the mugging.
    Or you know, they'll shoot first and ask questions later.

Leitner on
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

Fo' srs.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

Which part? For presidents?

real_pochacco on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

All of it.

The biggest flaw is that it's a two-party system.

Echo on
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Echo wrote:

All of it.

Oh god, you made me think of the Australian politican system.

OH GOD NOW IT HURTS AGAIN

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Echo wrote:

All of it.

There are more parties, it just doesn't work out, or something.

Aldo on
    edited December 2006
    Aldo wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Echo wrote:

All of it.

Functionally, there are two parties. Even though there exist other parties, they come into play only very rarely, in small local elections.

real_pochacco on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:

. . .

If the person really has a reason to kill someone, they will do it with a gun, with a knife, or simply by snapping their neck. Or punching them to death. In the hands of an angry man, a bread knife is just as dangerous as a gun. It makes no difference, or at least an inconsequential amount. (with the exception of massacres)

It all comes down to "guns don't kill people, people do".

As I said, I'm anti-gun, but I do not use this argument.

ege02 on
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    In the hands of an angry man, a bread knife is just as dangerous as a gun. It makes no difference, or at least an inconsequential amount.

No, see, that's just stupid to say that.

A man with a gun can kill me from 30 meters away and I will never even see him. A man with a knife has to get in my face, close up, and stab me repeatedly. I know what your saying - A man with a will to kill me and a knife, in the right circumstances, will be able to do it - but with a gun it's just so much easier.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    In the hands of an angry man, a bread knife is just as dangerous as a gun. It makes no difference, or at least an inconsequential amount.

A man with a gun can kill me from 30 meters away and I will never even see him. A man with a knife has to get in my face, close up, and stab me repeatedly. I know what your saying - A man with a will to kill me and a knife, in the right circumstances, will be able to do it - but with a gun it's just so much easier.

it's also easy to kill people with a car, ammonia and bleach, or fertilizer.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aldo wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Echo wrote:

All of it.

Functionally, there are two parties. Even though there exist other parties, they come into play only very rarely, in small local elections.

Its like the great Carlin said
    .Oh, and freedom of choice, this is the big one, the illusion of choice, we're led to feel free by the exercise of meaningless choices. There are, for instance, important things -- not too many choices, unimportant things-ice cream flavors, what do you want, we've got 31, the flavor of the week, the flavor of the month, but political parties-we're down to two, jeez. Sources of information, media companies down to five, banks, insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, chemical companies, oil companies-used to be seven, down to three, pretty soon it's gonna be two.

But if you’re lookin' for a bagel or a fuckin' donut, hey, what do you want-pineapple supreme, hazelnut; we've got everything you want. Cereals, I counted, personally in the store counted 192 different cereal choices, 192. 140 different cat foods, I counted, and that includes a tartar-control cat food for senior citizen cats, okay?"

JCM on
  • SeptimiusSeptimius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JCM wrote:

Its like the great Carlin said
    .Oh, and freedom of choice, this is the big one, the illusion of choice, we're led to feel free by the exercise of meaningless choices. There are, for instance, important things -- not too many choices, unimportant things-ice cream flavors, what do you want, we've got 31, the flavor of the week, the flavor of the month, but political parties-we're down to two, jeez. Sources of information, media companies down to five, banks, insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, chemical companies, oil companies-used to be seven, down to three, pretty soon it's gonna be two.

But if you’re lookin' for a bagel or a fuckin' donut, hey, what do you want-pineapple supreme, hazelnut; we've got everything you want. Cereals, I counted, personally in the store counted 192 different cereal choices, 192. 140 different cat foods, I counted, and that includes a tartar-control cat food for senior citizen cats, okay?"

Speaking of food, I can't eat bread in the U.S. I tried to buy an ordinary loaf of bread in Florida, but I couldn't stomach it. The bread was so damn sweet. The Pizza chain I was at was horrible. The crust was coated in some sugary sweet crap. I thought that I had a sweet tooth, not by American standards it seems.

Apart from that America is nice. People were complaining about American tourists, personally I've always been impressed by their courtesy. I'm usually loathed to use Monty Python, but in The Meaning of Life there is the quintessential American tourists. They do have a certain naivete, but I'm sure the natives think the same about me while I'm on holiday.

Septimius on
    edited December 2006
    i tend to have the same problem with american breads. i almost invariably eat bread from bakeries that specialize in sourdoughs and european styles of bread.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm really passive about bread. Sourdough? I eat it. Pumpernickel? I eat it. Sweet and sugary? Hard as rocks? Sure. So fluffy it might as well not be there? Sure. More tasteless than water? Fine. It's odd, though, I wouldn't identify most bread as sweet. Did that pizza place actually have some sort of glaze, or is what I identify as totally plain bread actually sugary?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    edited December 2006
    i used to be really "meh" about breads, but recently, with a cropping up of really good bakeries in my hometown, i've come to acquire a fondness for the better-done stuff. the same thing happened with me for cheese when i found a dedicated cheese shop in town a few years ago.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Heh, there's a "Delifrance" store next door, so I get my bread there, fresh from the oven.

JCM on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There are only a few states in America that can be trusted to not fuck up pizza, and Florida is NOT ONE OF THEM. Man, pizza in Florida is terrible.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:

You can kill an entire crowd with a car in one shot, and already be on your getaway.

People are experts at killing people.

A gun just allows for the weak to have better odds against the strong.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2006
    There are only a few states in America that can be trusted to not fuck up pizza, and Florida is NOT ONE OF THEM. Man, pizza in Florida is terrible.

There are a couple good places in just about every state. Even here in Missouri. However, Saint Louis style pizza is, bar none, the worst pizza in America. It's awful. Talking about sweet bread? The sauce is like candy or some crap here. The bread is doughy but thin, and always tastes undercooked. The cheese is provel, which is awful melted on sweet crap sauce. If I eat more than a tiny bit of it, it makes my stomach very upset and I feel shitty for a while. Basically the only food I've eaten that can do that, really.

Best state and city for pizza is New York. Not suprising since modern American pizza was invented there. I suggest Lombardi's the first pizza place in the USA (and in all likelihood, first in the Americas). It's in Manhattan on the border of Chinatown, I forget what streets.
    You can kill an entire crowd with a car in one shot, and already be on your getaway.

I theorize a pickup with a shovel on the front would be one of the best.
    Or you know, they'll shoot first and ask questions later

Yeah, alright. It is worth mentioning that there is some evidence to suggest concealed carry laws reduce mugging rates, but there isn't any evidence at all of what you're suggesting. It's just a supposition that doesn't really even make sense - why would they immediately want a life sentence instead of armed robbery?
    Speaking of food, I can't eat bread in the U.S. I tried to buy an ordinary loaf of bread in Florida, but I couldn't stomach it. The bread was so damn sweet. The Pizza chain I was at was horrible.

There are many different kinds of bread. What kind did you get? My local grocery store chain has its own bakery, and more than 50 different types of pre-packaged bread. It'd also be of interest to know what kind of bread you normally eat and what kind of pizza.

There are numerous varieties of pizza in the USA... Stuff like barbecue chicken, chicken garlic, thin, standard, Chicago style, etc. And, of course, a huge variance in quality. In a number of cases, the local variations can only be stomached by the local populace.

KMGor on
    edited December 2006
    KMGor wrote:
    There are many different kinds of bread. What kind did you get? My local grocery store chain has its own bakery, and more than 50 different types of pre-packaged bread. It'd also be of interest to know what kind of bread you normally eat and what kind of pizza.

There are numerous varieties of pizza in the USA... Stuff like barbecue chicken, chicken garlic, thin, standard, Chicago style, etc. And, of course, a huge variance in quality. In a number of cases, the local variations can only be stomached by the local populace.

I had plenty of pizzas in my travels to your land. Many were delicious, I was just shocked that some meatlovers pizza (my friend ordered it) had a very sweet base. It just an unusual experiance, having my pizza taste like candy. . I practically lived on Pizza during my holiday in vegas. Dominos is a biggish chain in Ireland now, I love their pizzas.

white_slice2.jpg

Bread, well it was what we'd call a sliced pan. Just normal bread that would be used for a sandwich. I'm sure there is a good selection, but I was suprised that there was such sweetness. Is this kind of bread usually on the sweet side? It just struck me as strange.

I know that I have launched this thread into the trivial, yet I find it more enlightening than gun talk.

Septimius on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    "Sweet" would be one of the last words I would use to describe bread, unless you're talking about cinnamon rolls or something like that. Your comments perplex me. And yes, I live in the US.

Smasher on
    edited December 2006
    He may be talking about WHITE bread, which is half-way to being sugar.

If you want good bread, go for something whole wheat, that actually has chunks of grains in it.

As for meat pizzas... well... you know.. barbecue sauce and all.

Brown sugar is a base for a lot of meat toppings here.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2006
    Some places do have a sweet base. I don't like it too much either. Pizza Hut in particular, sometimes you'll get sweet tasting pizza (their sauce changed formula a while back though, I suspect).
    I'm sure there is a good selection, but I was suprised that there was such sweetness. Is this kind of bread usually on the sweet side? It just struck me as strange.

Some bread is kind of sweet. Wonderbread-type bread, for instance. I like it, but it isn't my favorite. Nice thing about sweeter tasting bread is you can just eat it by itself.

It probably tastes sweeter to you than me since I grew up with it. BTW, did you try a Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich while you were here? Europeans and Aussies seem revolted by the concept, at least the ones I've mentioned it to.

Had a friend over seas tell me a story, about how on one of the last days at college all the Americans bought bread, jelly and peanut butter and made sandwhiches, which grossed out all the non-Americans on campus. Evidently though, few had ever tried it and refused to even consider it.

Slight trivia note, the PB&J was invented by Americans in Europe during WWII, making something better out of their rations.
    I know that I have launched this thread into the trivial, yet I find it more enlightening than gun talk.

I love discussing different tastes and differences between cultures and countries. I find it utterly fascinating, and one of the best things about online forums with strong international bents, like PA.

KMGor on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pizza Hut should be wiped from the face of the Earth. I occasionally have some of their pizza with the really sweet sauce. It is wretched.

Gim on
    edited December 2006
    I had Pizza Hut once last year.

NEVER AGAIN

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2006
    KMGor wrote:
    It probably tastes sweeter to you than me since I grew up with it. BTW, did you try a Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich while you were here? Europeans and Aussies seem revolted by the concept, at least the ones I've mentioned it to.

Had a friend over seas tell me a story, about how on one of the last days at college all the Americans bought bread, jelly and peanut butter and made sandwhiches, which grossed out all the non-Americans on campus. Evidently though, few had ever tried it and refused to even consider it.

Slight trivia note, the PB&J was invented by Americans in Europe during WWII, making something better out of their rations.

I eat them. We call it peanut butter and jam though :D . American jelly is nice, but I prefer jam. Jelly seems a bit too processed for my tastes, still it is nice.

Interesting tivia! They also went back and told their people about the wonderous invention of the flush toilet. No more crapping in the outhouse for them.
    I love discussing different tastes and differences between cultures and countries. I find it utterly fascinating, and one of the best things about online forums with strong international bents, like PA.

Americans are great at doing waffles and pancakes, yet you seem to sorely lack in the crisp (chips) department. They all seem to require dips. A nice packet of Cheese and Onion crisps lifts the taste buds and clogs the arteries, delicious!

Septimius on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Gim wrote:
    Pizza Hut should be wiped from the face of the Earth. I occasionally have some of their pizza with the really sweet sauce. It is wretched.
    Papa Johns is also revoltingly sweet. I hate Domino's as well.

Boston pizza is okay. Pretty much everywhere serves it - you can't really walk a block in Boston without bumping into at least one non-chain pizza & grinder joint. It doesn't have anything distinct about it the way that New York or Chicago pizzas do - standard hand-tossed rising crusts, standard sauce, etc, but it's generally of decent quality.

The pizza place nearest me (owned by Greeks) puts about two or three pounds of cheese on each pizza. It's good but jesus that's a lot of cheese.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I actually really, really like Pizza Hut's thin crust pepperoni and bell pepper pizza. The last time I had it at least, the sauce had a nice spice to it. I've never liked the pan pizza though.

The best pizza though, Barley's in Asheville NC.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Gim wrote:
    Papa Johns is also revoltingly sweet. I hate Domino's as well.

Boston pizza is okay. Pretty much everywhere serves it - you can't really walk a block in Boston without bumping into at least one non-chain pizza & grinder joint. It doesn't have anything distinct about it the way that New York or Chicago pizzas do - standard hand-tossed rising crusts, standard sauce, etc, but it's generally of decent quality.

The pizza place nearest me (owned by Greeks) puts about two or three pounds of cheese on each pizza. It's good but jesus that's a lot of cheese.

I like dominos,a pepperoni pizza with garlic and herb sauce is lovely. It may shorten my life-span but it is worth it.

Septimius on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Miami's Best Pizza for life, yo.

Um, so yes, America. We sure do get around.

Gim on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like Domino's. I've more or less been raised on Domino's, in fact. Around here it is either that or Papa Gino's, and I prefer the thick and dough-y crust. I'm aware however that this is not what most people consider pizza.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89