As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fun online multiplayer PC game suggestion

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
I just beat diablo 2 with a bunch of friends and now we are searching for a new game to play. I'm kind of out of ideas, so I was hoping you all would be full of helpful suggestions.

MMOs are generally out, as we are not willing to commit that much time to playing them. Other than that it is probably fair game. Help us!

Mace1370 on

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As a major proponent of the Orange Box, I'm going to suggest Team Fortress 2. It's awesome.

Terrendos on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Crysis is an absolutely blast on multiplayer.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    team fortress 2 is an okay game.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I suggested TF2, but my friend isn't really a fan of FPS games. I think we may try DotA. Is that still alive and kicking?

Mace1370 on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dotas still definitely alive, but people tend to get pretty nasty online. Playing over LAN is a blast though, and you only need one CD if you want to try it out.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    I suggested TF2, but my friend isn't really a fan of FPS games. I think we may try DotA. Is that still alive and kicking?

Dota is great. Community is still alive from the last time I played.
    If you guys want something a bit more recent, might I recommend Sins of a Solar Empire. Its a space RTS + city management + awesomeness. You can't go wrong, even if you are more casual with the RTS genre or just plain suck at it like myself. I still have lots of fun in that game.

Smashism on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    World in Conflict is great fun multiplayer. Also a little more forgiving that most RTS games online when you're starting out since you have 7 other people on your team to make up for any mistakes you make and loosing your units isn't too big a deal.

-SPI- on
    edited May 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

If you guys want something a bit more recent, might I recommend Sins of a Solar Empire. Its a space RTS + city management + awesomeness. You can't go wrong, even if you are more casual with the RTS genre or just plain suck at it like myself. I still have lots of fun in that game.

I was just about to say SoaSE as well since he didn't want an FPS. It's a lot of fun and the graphics are just amazing. The sense of scale in it is just remarkable.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited May 2008

I was just about to say SoaSE as well since he didn't want an FPS. It's a lot of fun and the graphics are just amazing. The sense of scale in it is just remarkable.

Best of all the game is as hardcore or as casual as you want it to be. Team AI stomps on big maps are just perfect for friends at varying levels.

Smashism on
    edited May 2008

Best of all the game is as hardcore or as casual as you want it to be. Team AI stomps on big maps are just perfect for friends at varying levels.

And with the way the game works you don't even have to be good at micromanaging large groups of shit. As long as you have some good tactics being executed over all you will own.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Off the top of my head:
    Fallout Tactics
    Starcraft
    Warcraft III
    Total War (any)

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mythos (Open Beta I think?)
    Guild Wars: Nightfall (it's only 20-30hours for the story missions, no massive grind involved)
    Titan Quest + Expansion
    Alien Swarm (Ut2004 mod, top down Alien Shooter)
    R6:Vegas Coop Story
    R6:Vegas 2 Terrorist Hunt

Rook on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A warning about DotA: it has one of the worst communities I've encountered.

I'd try Guild Wars, the Nightfall campaign to be particular. It's a little like an MMO, but it has no monthly fees.

reVerse on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aside from previous suggestions for Sins of a Solar Empire and Team Fortress 2 I'd suggest SWAT 4. It's an awesome game when played co-op. Tactical shooter, if you're familiar with the R6 series before it went console and got regenerating health and stuff, it's more along those lines. Teamwork is pretty important to getting the missions done, because just one player going Rambo can easily get the entire squad killed.

subedii on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire is the easiest way to kill an afternoon ever with a friend ever. A single map can take six hours, and if you survive the first couple of hours you'll probably be doing well enough that you can afford to get up and make a sandwich or something, and your fleets will generally take care of themselves while you eat and pee.

SammyF on
  • fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Trackmania is a pretty fun multiplayer racing game. There's a free version on Steam (also a paid one I think). It's a really simple 3d racing game you can control using the arrow keys. Tracks have things like loops and ramps. There's also a track editor.

It's good for a cheap game to play with friends.

fairweather on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll second the recommendation for Wold in Conflict. It can be a total blast when you've got a few friends working together and coordinating attacks and whatnot.

RawrBear on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

And with the way the game works you don't even have to be good at micromanaging large groups of shit. As long as you have some good tactics being executed over all you will own.

The only drawback to Sins is that it takes quite a while to finish the a single game. Judging by the OP's request that we not recommend MMOs because they are too time-consuming, Sins isn't the best suggestion.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2008

The only drawback to Sins is that it takes quite a while to finish the a single game. Judging by the OP's request that we not recommend MMOs because they are too time-consuming, Sins isn't the best suggestion.

Well if I wanna do a quickmatch just choose a small map dude, you can have a small game done in an hour if you play right.
    Me and my friend tend to do the big AI stomps, sometimes for an hour in 1 week, sometimes for 10 hours over the whole week. You can save you know (unless you hit that damned bug).

Smashism on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Well if I wanna do a quickmatch just choose a small map dude, you can have a small game done in an hour if you play right.
    Me and my friend tend to do the big AI stomps, sometimes for an hour in 1 week, sometimes for 10 hours over the whole week. You can save you know (unless you hit that damned bug).

"If you play right" being the key phrase. If you don't play right, the game will probably take at least two hours. Sins is a good game, I own it, but I have no delusions about how long it takes to finish a match.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Titan Quest + Immortal Throne, 20 bucks.

Karrmer on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah that would be my vote. If you liked Diablo it's more of that but in a new setting with pretty graphics.

You could also try Company of Heroes if you guys like RTS games. It's one of the best around.

Drool on
    edited May 2008
    Oh crap, how did I miss out on Company of Heroes?

DEFINITELY go for this if you can, it's easily one of the best RTS's ever made. Probably the most atmospheric WWII game I've ever played. I think it comes down to the voice work, they did a crazy amount of really good unit dialogue. If you've played Dawn of War, you'll be familiar with the style of gameplay. It's more squad level control with heavy engagements between individual squads and units.

If you want something less micro and more macro-strategy, then Supreme Commander is all about full scale warfare. Instead of commanding squads and maybe a dozen units max you'll be dealing with hundreds with warfare taking place across whole maps. Instead of focussing on using individual unit abilities (there aren't really any, except for the odd toggle like Stealth or cloaking, and your Commander has a couple of options), the game instead focusses on large scale strategy co-ordinating airstrikes, ground assaults and ultra-long-range artillery. There's no minimap, instead you can instantly zoom out to whatever height with a scroll of the mouse-wheel to assess the situation, works really well.

Land, sea and air combat all coming together in one big clash of metal and firepower. Such things can be glorious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8zi_NHpYo (I recommend downloading the HD he links in the comments if you're interested, you can't really see too much detail in the youtube clip). For reference, it's by the dude that did the Freespace: Source Code Project video.

subedii on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh crap, how did I miss out on Company of Heroes?

DEFINITELY go for this if you can, it's easily one of the best RTS's ever made. Probably the most atmospheric WWII game I've ever played. I think it comes down to the voice work, they did a crazy amount of really good unit dialogue. If you've played Dawn of War, you'll be familiar with the style of gameplay. It's more squad level control with heavy engagements between individual squads and units.

If you want something less micro and more macro-strategy, then Supreme Commander is all about full scale warfare. Instead of commanding squads and maybe a dozen units max you'll be dealing with hundreds with warfare taking place across whole maps. Instead of focussing on using individual unit abilities (there aren't really any, except for the odd toggle like Stealth or cloaking, and your Commander has a couple of options), the game instead focusses on large scale strategy co-ordinating airstrikes, ground assaults and ultra-long-range artillery. There's no minimap, instead you can instantly zoom out to whatever height with a scroll of the mouse-wheel to assess the situation, works really well.

Land, sea and air combat all coming together in one big clash of metal and firepower. Such things can be glorious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8zi_NHpYo (I recommend downloading the HD he links in the comments if you're interested, you can't really see too much detail in the youtube clip). For reference, it's by the dude that did the Freespace: Source Code Project video.

This video right here is a perfect example of why I love SupCom. :D
    edit: the music in the video is awful though, ugh.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

This video right here is a perfect example of why I love SupCom. :D
    edit: the music in the video is awful though, ugh.

I thought the music in his second video was a bit better (this is his 3rd and final SupCom vid. After this apparently he's giving up on doing game videos, at least for a while).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9cndwPvUM

One thing to note is that most / all footage is taken from recorded replays of actual games. If you look at the names list you can see a lot of the top players from the SC community (the replay's are usually taken from gamereplays.org IIRC).

subedii on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Guild Wars: Nightfall (it's only 20-30hours for the story missions, no massive grind involved)

This man is a genius.

Skexis on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Another vote for DotA. So fun.

Misanthropic on
    edited May 2008

"If you play right" being the key phrase. If you don't play right, the game will probably take at least two hours. Sins is a good game, I own it, but I have no delusions about how long it takes to finish a match.

Yeah but if you are playing with just friends you can always shout THIS ENDS NOW! ALL FORCES CHARGE! and end the game early.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DefCon is quick. cheap and fun!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited May 2008

Yeah but if you are playing with just friends you can always shout THIS ENDS NOW! ALL FORCES CHARGE! and end the game early.

Or like I previously stated, save. You can come back to it later, this is not a new concept to the pc gaming world.

Smashism on
    edited May 2008

Or like I previously stated, save. You can come back to it later, this is not a new concept to the pc gaming world.

No it's better for everyone to throw their whole civilizations into one final berserker battle to the death.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited May 2008

No it's better for everyone to throw their whole civilizations into one final berserker battle to the death.

I agree 100%, I'm just having a hard time fathoming how he denounces SoSE for casual play as if you can't save and come back later.
    Yet nothing is being said about the insane depth and complexity that SupCom has, which is awesome for RTS vets, but pretty daunting for those more casual to the genre.
    Skexis wrote: »

This man is a genius.

Unless you like your money to be spent on coasters, dont buy vegas for the PC. It's a steaming pile of buggy shit, I don't know how the 2nd one runs, but from what I hear it has mad caching problems, fucking up memory. Good times on 360 co op however.

Smashism on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vegas 2 PC runs a fuckton better than Vegas 1's, "Oh, I'm staring a door that's lit with a single light source and my framerate is now in the teens for no goddamn reason yay technology!"

Zxerol on
    edited May 2008

I agree 100%, I'm just having a hard time fathoming how he denounces SoSE for casual play as if you can't save and come back later.
    Yet nothing is being said about the insane depth and complexity that SupCom has, which is awesome for RTS vets, but pretty daunting for those more casual to the genre.

SupCom would probably be a little to indepth for some fun mp shenanigans.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited May 2008

Honestly, I found getting to grips with the micro in games like DoW and Comapny of Heroes far more daunting. In a game like SupCom you're less interested individual units, more in directing groups of combat forces around and sometimes attacking key heavy targets.

Guess it just depends on what style of play you're more into

subedii on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait wait wait, Sins is NOT micro intensive? Install time!

BlueDestiny on
    edited May 2008
    Wait wait wait, Sins is NOT micro intensive? Install time!

Nope you can get by controlling just the galactic level and having the AI handle battle tactics and all that mircoshit.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Skexis wrote: »

This man is a genius.

Unless you like your money to be spent on coasters, dont buy vegas for the PC. It's a steaming pile of buggy shit, I don't know how the 2nd one runs, but from what I hear it has mad caching problems, fucking up memory. Good times on 360 co op however.

With all the patches I've actually never encountered a problem with Vegas and this has been at a couple of LANs with a multitude of PCs now. Except of course the performance, which isn't quite abysmal but certainly isn't great.

R6: Vegas 2 runs great, looks... ok. I had a couple of crashes playing through it single player (no 2gb memory dumps though) and the multiplayer needs some UI modifications (How2Ping?) but otherwise it works fine.

Rook on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    R6: Vegas 2 runs great, looks... ok. I had a couple of crashes playing through it single player (no 2gb memory dumps though) and the multiplayer needs some UI modifications (How2Ping?) but otherwise it works fine.

Up until recently, I would have agreed with you. When I first installed it crashing was a problem especially on multiplayer modes, but since the last 2 patches, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

The best thing the sequel did was to make the ACES leveling up stuff work throughout the whole game, online and off.

*is currently enjoying his green beret getup*

Skexis on
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Played through a bit of the NwN2 campaign with a pal a couple months ago, and we just picked it up again where we left off. If you enjoy diablo 2 it might be a good choice - my pal and I actually played a little diablo 2 before we decided to get NwN2 instead. However with just the two of us I am hating the AI party members, they don't follow or engage in combat nearly well enough and at the moment we've hit quite a difficulty spike. I think three or four human players would be enough to make it thoroughly enjoyable though, could even leave the AI back at the tavern.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq