As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Island Paradise is a Shit Hole

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't understand how it is still a state. It is so unrelated to the US we should have just given it to the Japanese. Seeing as how we no longer need fear the Russians or anyone else in the Pacific, why do even bother with it? Just sink it like some modern day Atlantis.

where do you live

i bet your state is pretty gay

haha

gay marriages

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    I pretty much agree with everything the OP says. I've been to Maui several times. Now, obviously there's something I like about the place because I keep going back. However the place is so culturally backwards that I can only tolerate for at most, two weeks at a time before I start feeling like no number of showers will ever get me clean.

The islands really are "great to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there" places. It's like the fake towns in old cowboy movies - it looks wonderful and romantic until you realize that the buildings are just thin sheets of plywood out in the desert.

Big Red Tie: I've never really been to Oahu. I don't really plan to either, as all my efforts are going into getting back to the mainland. Oahu seems like the barren middle-ground between Too-Much-Like-Kauai and Not-Enough-Like-The-Mainland.

well, i live in the most suburban area and also go to an expensive private school but

Is there as sharp a divide between Well-Off and Dirt-Poor as there is on Kauai? That might be part of it. Over here you basically have the tourists and the North Shore Whities, and then you have all the serfs who make their shit livable.

(Bonus Credit: Guess which side I fall on?)

Never let them get ahold of movable print type. Speaking from experience the results can be disastrous.

"Mo'ble print type", wot's 'at d'en, y'r 'igness?

DE?AD on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I pretty much agree with everything the OP says. I've been to Maui several times. Now, obviously there's something I like about the place because I keep going back. However the place is so culturally backwards that I can only tolerate for at most, two weeks at a time before I start feeling like no number of showers will ever get me clean.

The islands really are "great to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there" places. It's like the fake towns in old cowboy movies - it looks wonderful and romantic until you realize that the buildings are just thin sheets of plywood out in the desert.

Big Red Tie: I've never really been to Oahu. I don't really plan to either, as all my efforts are going into getting back to the mainland. Oahu seems like the barren middle-ground between Too-Much-Like-Kauai and Not-Enough-Like-The-Mainland.

well, i live in the most suburban area and also go to an expensive private school but

Is there as sharp a divide between Well-Off and Dirt-Poor as there is on Kauai? That might be part of it. Over here you basically have the tourists and the North Shore Whities, and then you have all the serfs who make their shit livable.

Never let them get ahold of movable print type. Speaking from experience the results can be disastrous.

NOTHING. Back to your turnips.

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited May 2008

NOTHING. Back to your turnips.

Mmmm. I likes turn'ps.

DE?AD on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

mahala hala na mikimiki

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ko'omokawa'ile

hey that sounds like a real word, cool

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ohana means family

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ranma116_principal_kuno.jpg

The Otaku Suppository on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    but I don't like SPAM!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Lately I've taken to using Waimualuku as a generic place name. I wonder how long it'll take anyone to notice.

DE?AD on
    edited May 2008
    Belruel wrote: »

mahala hala na mikimiki

did i say anything

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    my friend is moving to hawaii at the end of the month for her job. Her options were either hawaii or miami. i hate her. Also, I can't wait to visit her this winter when it is cold as balls and depressing here.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i dunno

not like anyone would know bel

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited May 2008

mahala hala na mikimiki

did i say anything

As far as I can tell it works like Marklar.

Mekaleka Hi mekahine hine ho.

DE?AD on
    edited May 2008
    when i was in girl scouts we once 'learned' to hula.

it was, uh, interesting.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

it was, uh, interesting.

I hate that shit when people "teach" kids a half-assed way of doing an actual thing.

So when they get back home they force their parents to act proud of their bullshit.

Oh god I hope this kid is not mine....

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, I have family on Maui. They came over from the Philippines to pick pineapples, and my grandmother still lives in the house they built on plantation land. Every time I go over there I meet the same damn roach in the bathroom.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    Oh man, I have family on Maui. They came over from the Philippines to pick pineapples, and my grandmother still lives in the house they built on plantation land. Every time I go over there I meet the same damn roach in the bathroom.

Hey Harvey what's up.

Not much, can you douse the light please?

The Otaku Suppository on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    edited May 2008
    Everytime Iskander posts my kitty gets upset.

Quit upsetting my kitty.

He is a fussy kitty.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I guess this guy doesn't like banjos or ukuleles.

Fuck this guy, is what.

sarukun on
    edited May 2008

it was, uh, interesting.

I actually learned to hula in college.

It was a blast.

sarukun on
    edited May 2008
    Our college prides itself in its ultimate frisbee class.

College is a scam:

People's exhibit A

Bearstranaut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Hey! I never said I didn't like banjos! But after twenty-two years of the same three riffs, yeah, I fucking hate ukuleles.

DE?AD on
    edited May 2008
    That's dumb.

Why don't you just hate faggoty "musicians" who can't do anything new?

sarukun on
    edited May 2008
    Our college prides itself in its ultimate frisbee class.

College is a scam:

People's exhibit A

Colleges that have ultimate frisbee "gatherings" and refer to them as classes should be called "hangouts".

sarukun on
    edited May 2008
    Ukelele's are of low mind.

Bearstranaut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    holy shit you have a hell of a chip on your shoulder

I've heard before that it's not so great to live in Hawaii

Dynagrip on
    edited May 2008
    Uh, my heavens, no, Hawaii is a pretty mixed up place.

And it ain't like ukuleles are the pinnical of human musical engineering.

But I mean, hating the ukulele, that's just ridiculous.

sarukun on
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Uh, my heavens, no, Hawaii is a pretty mixed up place.

And it ain't like ukuleles are the pinnical of human musical engineering.

But I mean, hating the ukulele, that's just ridiculous.

Ukulehate

edit: sixth ToTP today!

Bearstranaut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    It seems that a lot of people don't care for the places they've lived their whole life. I don't really get that, since I was swapped between alaska, louisiana, texas and hawaii in a sort of musical chairs my whole life. Hopefully soon we'll be able to leave texas and move to the northwest, where it's not as shitty and hot.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited May 2008
    It seems that a lot of people don't care for the places they've lived their whole life. I don't really get that, since I was swapped between alaska, louisiana, texas and hawaii in a sort of musical chairs my whole life. Hopefully soon we'll be able to leave texas and move to the northwest, where it's not as shitty and hot.

Bein' military is a bitch I bet

Bearstranaut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    I love Los Angeles.

It's a shit hole in plenty of ways, but it is my shit hole.

sarukun on
    edited May 2008

I wouldn't know!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Supa Kauai ^___^ ???

ascot on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

I wouldn't know!

It is a great job. sometimes. when you actually get to stay in one place and not constently deploy overseas.

Casper on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate the weather we have over here

but everything else is decent enough

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ascot wrote: »
    Supa Kauai ^___^ ???

you should feel bad