As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Goddamn Batman Would Have Words With The Both Of You [NSF56K]

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the microscopic Lanterns

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the wild concept Lanterns and also the fact that they had counterparts in the Sinestro Corps. (Ranx the Sentient City! Despotellis the deadly virus!)

Oh, let's not forget Rot Lop Fan, the green Lantern who lived in a sector with absolutely no light and no concept for it. I hope he shows up somewhere soon.
    acrosstheuniversegl5pv0.jpg

JoeUser on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    bobgorila wrote: »
    A green lantern who is an abstract mathematical progression?

That's a big thought, right there.

Also, I loved that Dr and Quinch story. Mind the oranges, Marlon!

That's now my most hated concept for a lantern, right behind the living viruses in the Green and Yellow corps.

Do you ever wake up in the morning and realize how horrible you are?

I'm going to have to second that.

Matt, you are a very bad person.

That very well may be so, but it's not because of this.

In all seriousness, I just really don't like the concept of an abstract mathematical sequence being "conscious" at all, much less that it's an active Green Lantern. Does that imply that somewhere, Pi is a living, conscious entity? What about twelve? What does that even mean?

It's one of those conceits that works for humorous fiction - e.g. Jasper Fforde's Nursey Crimes series, or Terry Pratchett's breathtaking work of genius, the Discword series - but in this sort of medium, it's distracting in its awkwardness.

My dislike for the sentient viruses is for a different reason: there's no logical (or even CLAIMED) explanation for what that really means. Is it that a single virus cell is conscious? Or is it some sort of network of viral cells? It's just such an ill-thought-out concept (however cool it sounds as a single sentence) that it bothers me (especially given the greatness of the rest of his work).

mattharvest on
    edited May 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I love the wild concept Lanterns and also the fact that they had counterparts in the Sinestro Corps. (Ranx the Sentient City! Despotellis the deadly virus!)

Oh, let's not forget Rot Lop Fan, the green Lantern who lived in a sector with absolutely no light and no concept for it. I hope he shows up somewhere soon.

See, it's funny you post that: I think the living cities/planets are great concepts, and Rot Lop Fan is actually one of my favorite lantern concepts. That's because it's something clever, but still makes sense.

It's not that microscopic lanterns are logically weak, but rather the specific description of them as viruses and not, say, a network of viral cells. Since we've literally seen that Despotellis, for example, is actually just a single cell, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

mattharvest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I used to play an RPG where if characters believed hard enough, they could perform magic as avatars of Elvis and Barney, respectively. And it later turned out that that way these magicians worked basically meant that there is an ethereal and all-powerful Elvis Spirit and a Barney Spirits who use these people as avatars.

So when it comes to comic books... I can buy Pi as a sentient entity without any problem, and welcome an abstract mathematical Green Lantern.

Anyway, it was my impression from the War that the virii lanterns were human-capacity viral loads.

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    One of the first JL comics I ever read had something about a sentient virus cell that controlled all the other virus cells in other host bodies.

Wildcat on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

See, it's funny you post that: I think the living cities/planets are great concepts, and Rot Lop Fan is actually one of my favorite lantern concepts. That's because it's something clever, but still makes sense.

It's not that microscopic lanterns are logically weak, but rather the specific description of them as viruses and not, say, a network of viral cells. Since we've literally seen that Despotellis, for example, is actually just a single cell, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I get what you mean about that, but I'm thinking the whole single-cell representation is just the easy way for artists to get the point across. I mean, obviously they do not infect people via one cell.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the idea of a mathematical progression being a Green Lantern because it makes me think that
    - the Universe is very, very large, much larger than I can conceive of,
    - I don't have the slightest inkling of how the Universe actually works,
    - I don't have the slightest inkling of what consciousness is and who and what can/can't be conscious, and
    - the Green Lantern Corps consists of members of every conceivable and inconceivable species and non-species that might exist and might need protection.

Which is exactly what I want a discussion of the GLC's myriad members to make me think.

Besides, I've come to expect a not-obviously-conscious species to be mentioned in every discussion of a group of aliens ever since I read about the Hooloovoo in the HHGTTG (the Hooloovoo, as you may recall, is a super-intelligent shade of blue).

Delduwath on
  • WangtopiaWangtopia Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always loved this scene from "Welcome Back Frank". I also really loved the first couple of pages detailing his return but I couldn't find any scans of it.
    punisher2.jpg

Wangtopia on
    Gaming related things:
    wangtopia.png
    sig.gif
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I love the idea of a mathematical progression being a Green Lantern because it makes me think that
    - the Universe is very, very large, much larger than I can conceive of,
    - I don't have the slightest inkling of how the Universe actually works,
    - I don't have the slightest inkling of what consciousness is and who and what can/can't be conscious, and
    - the Green Lantern Corps consists of members of every conceivable and inconceivable species and non-species that might exist and might need protection.

Which is exactly what I want a discussion of the GLC's myriad members to make me think.

That's more or less what I'm saying. It's a fun sensation to think of a universe so far beyond what we consider to be the norm, conceptually.

Plus, it means those little blue guys can talk to math.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »
    A green lantern who is an abstract mathematical progression?

That's a big thought, right there.

Also, I loved that Dr and Quinch story. Mind the oranges, Marlon!

That's now my most hated concept for a lantern, right behind the living viruses in the Green and Yellow corps.

They should journey to The Heart of Gold and encounter a Hooloovoo, which is a superintelligent shade of the colour blue.

Edit: shit, beat'd by like 12 hours. That's what I get for not reading to the end of the page before posting.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Having a mathematical progression be a conscious entity is cool if you're going for a world that's still being explored, or is unexplainable - Phantom Tollbooth or something. But in Green Lantern it really makes no sense, since they're aiming for a certain amount of consistency.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Having a mathematical progression be a conscious entity is cool if you're going for a world that's still being explored, or is unexplainable - Phantom Tollbooth or something. But in Green Lantern it really makes no sense, since they're aiming for a certain amount of consistency.

Is it really any more weird then a feeling/abstract concept as a conscious entity?

Thomamelas on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Is it really any more weird then a feeling/abstract concept as a conscious entity?

Not if it's consistent. Let me put it this way - do the green lanterns ever police mathematical constructs or algorithms? Would pi murder i, and need to be locked away in a sciencell? Why then would one of them want to become a green lantern? How could one even BE conscious or intelligent?

The working of the rings is very consistent, with specific rules laid down (usually). That makes it more believable in the context. Just throwing out a nonsense line like having an abstract green lantern hurts that. The microscopic gl's at least have a physical form with which to hold a ring.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Not if it's consistent. Let me put it this way - do the green lanterns ever police mathematical constructs or algorithms? Would pi murder i, and need to be locked away in a sciencell? Why then would one of them want to become a green lantern? How could one even BE conscious or intelligent?

The working of the rings is very consistent, with specific rules laid down (usually). That makes it more believable in the context. Just throwing out a nonsense line like having an abstract green lantern hurts that. The microscopic gl's at least have a physical form with which to hold a ring.

But the progression is a conscious entity. The hows are unimportant, it's consciousness has been established. So why would it be more or less weird then any other entity becoming a space cop. If anything you could see something that orderly understanding the need for order. And the workings of the rings does have some wiggle room given that there is a lantern who doesn't understand color at all and works his ring with sound constructs.

Thomamelas on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm glad to see a bit of morality and reason in Batman. It was hard seeing him act like such a crazy dick for 8 issues. Well, 8.5. That whole speech about having to scare the rapists was more of the hamfisted shit that people are complaining about.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would pi murder i, and need to be locked away in a sciencell?

No stupid, i is imaginary.

:P

Sharp101 on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Yeah, but it's expected for Pi to at least try to kill something that isn't there.

Pi isn't rational.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited May 2008
    Wow. Just wow.

mattharvest on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

i think it would be pretty awesome if in the dc universe, math only worked all the time because there was a math green lantern keeping all the numbers and formulas in order

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008

Yeah, but it's expected for Pi to at least try to kill something that isn't there.

Pi isn't rational.

oh i see what you did there

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would pi murder i, and need to be locked away in a sciencell? Why then would one of them want to become a green lantern? How could one even BE conscious or intelligent?

Prepare to meet the latest recruit into the Sinestro Corps.
    3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679 8214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196 4428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273
    724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609...

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly I think e would be in the Sinestro Corps out of jealously that Pi is more well known than he is. Also each Corp should have their own mathematical concept as a member.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Pi isn't rational.

Touché

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Honestly I think e would be in the Sinestro Corps out of jealously that Pi is more well known than he is. Also each Corp should have their own mathematical concept as a member.

So Log would be a blue lantern....cause hope floats?

Thomamelas on
    edited May 2008
    So an Alfred Scan:

GothamKnights7pg05.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does anyone have the scene from JLA: Terror Incognita where Orion lights himself on fire?

JoeUser on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would pi murder i, and need to be locked away in a sciencell? Why then would one of them want to become a green lantern? How could one even BE conscious or intelligent?

Prepare to meet the latest recruit into the Sinestro Corps.
    3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679 8214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196 4428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273
    724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609...

Thats just Retarded.
    Pi is totally Red Lantern Corps

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Miracleman learns about one of the surprises that super-fast growing children involve
    issue10pg14yx9.jpg
    Merry Christmas!
    xmassupeandbatsxs8.jpg
    Green Goblin is insane
    1210867998239xw0.jpg

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man, i love the goblin. does anyone have scans of that one scene of a villain's bar where a bunch of supervillains talk about how spidey is always cracking wise? That's one of my favorite Goblin moments

Guek on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Green Goblin is insane
    1210867998239xw0.jpg
    In fairness, it looks like he's chucking batarangs, so he probably is correct about being god.

see317 on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am such a giant nerd for laughing at GL math jokes.

Oh, and Pi is not welcome among us.

Crimsondude on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So an Alfred Scan:

GothamKnights7pg05.jpg

I seriously thought Batman landed on the stick shift when he winced after jumping in.

KVW on
    edited May 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I seriously thought Batman landed on the stick shift when he winced after jumping in.

You've been reading too much Scan's Daily. :P

Thomamelas on
  • King BlisterKing Blister Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    USM 107:

chickenwangs.jpg

King Blister on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did Dr Strange just say 'Jeez'?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ultimate Doctor Strange is a very young man.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "The Mindscape of Alan Moore" is a very interesting/baffling doumentary to watch

He explains his "I am a shaman" thing in a way that doesn't make him seem crazy

He is Lovecraftian in the way his insanity seems to make horrible, horrible sense.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From the Marvel Western special, The Man Called Hurricane. In the story, Harry Kane, a notorious gunfighter, has been asked to escort a native american woman across the country. She finds herself completely underwhelmed by him, noting that he's slow-moving, a poor shot, and generally just sort of worthless. Later, they're ambushed by the enormous posse that's formed to take down the Hurricane. Sorry the scans suck, I had to get them out of my hardcover.

HarryKane1.jpg

HarryKane2.jpg

HarryKane3.jpg

Though the hardcover's now out of print, I really recommend buying it if you come across it. It has stories from Jeff Parker, Fred Van Lente, Keith Giffen, Mike Allred, and a bunch of classic reprints and bonus material. Totally worth it.

Munch on
    edited May 2008
    that's, uh, pretty badass

is the rest of the hardcover any good?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.