As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ikariam: Burning the World, one kitty at a time

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moss, I can probably send you some marble. How much you need?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BulwarkBulwark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll send out some spies tonight to try to get some locations. I've seen a few of their towns around while looking for pillage targets.

My username in game is Ponchs Pilot, and locs are listed in the embassy.

Where's the guy attacking you? Maybe we can do a coordinated wanging. I've missed out on all the action since the middle is so far from the rest of PAX.
    Jaydawgg has FTW @ 53:49, Brewhaha @ 61:58, and WTF @ 67:57. I'm not sure the guy needs wanging - he's apparently playing Kim Jong Il and cannibalizing any hope of prosperity to feed a military machine that will ultimately accomplish nothing.

I mean, seriously, look at the intel from last night:
    Troops in Brewhaha

Swordsman: 33
    Phalanx: 24
    Catapult: 5
    Ram: 5
    Archer: 10

Fleets in Brewhaha

Ram-Ship: 53
    Catapult Ship: 1
    Troops in WTF

Swordsman: 20
    Phalanx: 15
    Ram: 2
    Archer: 10

Fleets in WTF

Ram-Ship: 7
    Flamethrower: 1
    Ballista Ship: 2
    Guy's running an 82k+ military on a 5800 overall score. Crazy. That being said, All his cities have level 3 trade ports, which is reasonably tempting. I'll let you know if he launches another psychotic all-out assault, though; I checked during the last attack and found that he left only a token guard at home (but I didn't have the action points to capitalize on it), which means prime wanging.

Bulwark on
  • PlacerPlacer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Goddamn, AOK, im just itching to wang some of these guys.

We came to an agreement with them the last time though, so no dice on that one. (and i have my raiding force all built up, anyone have some targets? 12:2 but will travel)

Placer on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I, uh, took care of it.

And by it, I of course mean the 3k marble for mattmoss.

Darian on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Darian got my back... sent me a chunk of marble while he uses the rest for four-story marble dongs.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »

Darian got my back... sent me a chunk of marble while he uses the rest for four-story marble dongs.

Well FINE then, I'll just KEEP my marble so SCREW YOU!
    <3

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do cat haikus work?

I got this one back from 'squak' after I blockaded him for 8 hours, and repeatedly wanged him for 200K gold and silly amounts of wood:

cat comes in the house
    big gray rodent in his mouth
    grateful gift for you

:lol: I had to immediately pull back my blockade I was so impressed!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's pretty cool. This cat poetry as ransom idea cracks me up.

juice for jesus on
  • HellbunnyHellbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    While we may be self declared bastards seeking to implement our reasonable policy of Burning the World this doesn't mean to say we do not enjoy other more cultured pursuits. Like cat poetry. Yes, the PA alliances are also on a mission to find the greatest Poet on Ikariam: Beta and test their ability to write poems about the simple joys of owning cats. In return, we might refrain from attacking them.

This... Is truly a thing of beauty. It couldn't be better if you had demanded paintings of kittens as well.

Hellbunny on
    Zombie-a-Day! I'm open for suggestions!
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just started playing this last night and I'm really digging it, but I have a few questions.

1. If I'm researching something but in the middle of research switch over to another topic, is that progress lost?
    2. Should I be concerned if I'm not building up my military yet?

Thetheroo on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Q: What happens when I switch my research from one thing to another?
    A: The points get transfered, you don't "lose" research, but if you finish something you will have to restart the original topic. (Burtletoy)

As for #2 I suggest always having atleast 1 ship in your harbor because no one knows how to attack if you have boats in the water. They always send troops and ships at the same time if they even remember to try and blockade you and ships take twice as long as land forces for some fucking ridiculous reason so 1 boat is almost always enough to protect you from people that arn't on your island. Other than that if you aren't pissing your neighbors off by attacking them they should leave you alone. Once you can I'd suggest putting 5 phalanges atleast in each colony which is enoguh for an early game defense I think.

Burtletoy on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I just started playing this last night and I'm really digging it, but I have a few questions.

1. If I'm researching something but in the middle of research switch over to another topic, is that progress lost?
    2. Should I be concerned if I'm not building up my military yet?

Point the first - any points accrued in research are instantly transferred over to whatever you change to. For example, if you spend six days researching Spirit Level then change to another topic that may only take a day or two to research, not only will you instantly FINISH that research, but you'll add a good chunk of points to that next topic as well.

Seconds - For where you're at, not having a standing military is not an issue... if you really feel antsy about it, make sure you are matching your city wall to the town hall level, and keep a handful of slingers. This won't do much to repel large scale invasions, but your size makes you a not very attractive target. You may be soft and squishy, but you won't likely have anything worth pillaging just yet.

mrsnackroad on
  • TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Level 15 warehouse requirements suck ass. Kitty ass.

Tamorlane on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tamorlane wrote: »

Yes, watching all that marble go down the drain is very painful.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gunsmen and Catapult Ship build times suck ass. Kitty ass.

I started twenty Gunsmen right after finishing the research yesterday morning, going on 33 hours ago. 23 hours and 36 min remaining. Catapult ships take 5 hours each? Good thing I started twenty of those as well.

Burtletoy on
  • TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Baidol wrote: »

Yes, watching all that marble go down the drain is very painful.

"word". Because it's not like I still don't have to fill that bitch up with another 25k marble when it's done or anything. Phppth.

Tamorlane on
    edited May 2008
    I have gravely underestimated my opponent's tactical genius.
    ohnozoa9.png

He is clearly waging a campaign of psychological warfare. I'm not sure my psyche can withstand the effort to figure out why he sent a catapult ship on an eleven hour journey for that.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Gunsmen and Catapult Ship build times suck ass. Kitty ass.

I started twenty Gunsmen right after finishing the research yesterday morning, going on 33 hours ago. 23 hours and 36 min remaining. Catapult ships take 5 hours each? Good thing I started twenty of those as well.

One of my potential targets today has forty gunmen. I shudder to think how long that took to build.

Speaking of gunmen, I'm considering making my attack forces 1gunmen/2 archers once the research finishes. Does this sound like an effective tactic?

Baidol on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Karenna wrote: »
    Do cat haikus work?

I got this one back from 'squak' after I blockaded him for 8 hours, and repeatedly wanged him for 200K gold and silly amounts of wood:

cat comes in the house
    big gray rodent in his mouth
    grateful gift for you

:lol: I had to immediately pull back my blockade I was so impressed!

So I just got home from watching Speed Racer at the local IMAX, so I might be a little over-excited, but I did laugh hysterically after reading this.

Guys, we are doing something wonderful with this game

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2008
    Gunsmen are only taking ages because you guys aren't upgrading your barracks like crazy. Check the unit info. If you have a level 18 barracks, each gunsman only takes an hour and a half to pump out. Which is still long, but not crazy long. Similarly, catapult ships take 3 hours on a level 10 shipyard. But shipyards are time-intensive to keep upgrading, while barracks are really fast.

Bulwark on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hellbunny wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    While we may be self declared bastards seeking to implement our reasonable policy of Burning the World this doesn't mean to say we do not enjoy other more cultured pursuits. Like cat poetry. Yes, the PA alliances are also on a mission to find the greatest Poet on Ikariam: Beta and test their ability to write poems about the simple joys of owning cats. In return, we might refrain from attacking them.

This... Is truly a thing of beauty. It couldn't be better if you had demanded paintings of kittens as well.

That is not a bad idea. But tasteful only. If I see any cats playing poker I shall be upset.

It will be kitties playing with yarn, in front of a roaring fire OR DEATH!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since your poem came in I have been pillaging active players in the hopes of provoking a response. Unfortunately they have all capitulated without a word. My island is surrounded by wussies? All I got was shiploads of goods, to the point that I had to buy more tradeships to carry them all!

jeez.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »

Well FINE then, I'll just KEEP my marble so SCREW YOU!
    <3

Well, if you really feel that way... I can always use more marble dongs... err, raw marble. I gots a bunch of wine and sulphur, if you like those.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How many colonies can you have? I've got four in a fairly small area (about a 6 island radius), and want to start a second 'regime' further north, closer to other NPAXers.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's the total build time required to get to that 13 total cities? I don't think anyone on the server has more than 6.

Darian on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy crap at the numbers for Palace upgrade for 4 colonies... won't be getting my 5th place for a while, then.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • valtzyvaltzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so. i was sackin' this guy's cities. you know, he seemed a yuppie. level 17 city, level 11 port, 30-50k gold per pillage, defending with only 20 slingers. so i see his capital and think jackpot. after being a bit impatient with spies, i send, what seems to me, a relatively adequate attack force. unfortunately, this dude's got gyrocopters and said attack force is returning to my city with its tail between its legs. so uh, my fear of retaliation is quite high.

i imagine the cost of a gyrocopter is expensive as balls, as is the upkeep for sending them across seas. but how do phalanxes fair against them? this dude's also got no navy, so i have no idea if he has the slightest clue about blockading.

valtzy on
    edited May 2008
    valtzy wrote: »
    so. i was sackin' this guy's cities. you know, he seemed a yuppie. level 17 city, level 11 port, 30-50k gold per pillage, defending with only 20 slingers. so i see his capital and think jackpot. after being a bit impatient with spies, i send, what seems to me, a relatively adequate attack force. unfortunately, this dude's got gyrocopters and said attack force is returning to my city with its tail between its legs. so uh, my fear of retaliation is quite high.

i imagine the cost of a gyrocopter is expensive as balls, as is the upkeep for sending them across seas. but how do phalanxes fair against them? this dude's also got no navy, so i have no idea if he has the slightest clue about blockading.

Ensure you have a couple of ships, then build the fuck out of your wall and phalanxes. Get yourself a doctor and a cook.

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    Holy crap at the numbers for Palace upgrade for 4 colonies... won't be getting my 5th place for a while, then.
    Darian wrote: »
    What's the total build time required to get to that 13 total cities? I don't think anyone on the server has more than 6.

It's not so much the build time as the resources collection. Each of the palaces only takes 8 hours aside from one weird one that takes 9 hours. Of course you have to upgrade your warehouse fairly heavily, too.

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    Working on spying out DAWGS, but those bastards are chewing up my spies like crazy.

Here's what I managed to get so far:
    # Name: Monikopolis (41,54)
    # Town size: 17
    # Player: monikootza
    # Ally: DAWGS
    # Total Score:13,101
    # Military Score:2,520
    # Gold Score:550,259 (14,967)

# Name: Monikorum [42:54]
    # Town size: 15
    # Gold Score:550,259 (11,555)

# Name: Eleopolis (41,53)
    # Town size: 14
    # Gold Score:550,259 (10,015)

# Name: Polis [42:53]
    # Town size: 1
    # Gold Score:550,259 (0)

# Name: jay z own (63,61)
    # Town size: 8
    # Player: Jay-Z1995
    # Total Score:1,513
    # Military Score:4,560
    # Gold Score:892,193 (4,996)
    Unit Quantity
    Slinger 57

# Name: Sparta [42:54]
    # Town size: 11
    # Player: Aj22
    # Total Score:2,379
    # Military Score:0
    # Gold Score:932,422 (10,257)

Sparta is undefended and inactive, and gives 10k per hit, but it's a bit of a long voyage just for gold.

I'm assuming the guy with 4 cities is the leader, as his 13k points accounts for about 2/3 of the alliance's total score. There should be two more members somewhere, but I haven't been able to spy the leader's communications yet.
    Bulwark wrote: »
    I have gravely underestimated my opponent's tactical genius.

I also spied out FTW's garrison:

Troops in FTW
    Unit Quantity
    Swordsman 20
    Phalanx 5
    Fleets in FTW
    Ship Quantity
    Ram-Ship 5

So I could totally take him out if you want to get back at that guy who sent a ship at you :P

juice for jesus on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Our cat overlords demand tribute.

Zarcath on
  • ZahrkonZahrkon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My cities can now accept Dong statues into their museums. So please shoot some cultural treaties my way!

Zahrkon on
    edited May 2008
    It's not allowing me to send out treaties. I guess I'm overloaded on dongs.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2008
    Here's what I managed to get so far:
    Maybe a little far, but potentially great targets. What about the trading port levels in these cities? That will determine who's annihilated first.
    I also spied out FTW's garrison:

Troops in FTW
    Unit Quantity
    Swordsman 20
    Phalanx 5
    Fleets in FTW
    Ship Quantity
    Ram-Ship 5

So I could totally take him out if you want to get back at that guy who sent a ship at you
    No, that pleasure is reserved... for meeeee! Well, except that I actually need to get some flamethrower ships constructed to do the job properly. Wang the hell out of him if you want, I'll probably hit that city myself later tonight. Do keep in mind that he does have his ludicrously inefficient but numerous ramship fleet to dispense his crude vengeance with, though.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008
    Oh, didn't think to check out the towns before I got my spies killed off. Next round of spies is on the way now.

Mostly I just think it's absurd that they have such a tough guy description yet are actually very weak. The need a lesson that only a huge wang can impart.

I have a bunch of fire ships so I can take out FTW's navy for you.

Is 15 fireships overkill for 5 rams?

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2008
    I have a bunch of fire ships so I can take out FTW's navy for you.
    Most excellent. You don't mind bearing the brunt of the assault, then? I presume the most efficient way to do this would be you blockading and pillaging, then telling me when your last pillaging group will be gone so I can send out my own replacement blockade and pillagers for when yours fall away. If anyone more experienced with joint action knows a better way, do tell. I don't have anything beyond a starting embassy, so military treaty stuff is out for now.
    Yes. It is also awesome. 5 fireships versus 5 rams will win handily; 10 is probably all you need not to have more than a casualty or two. But 15, that's style.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Baidol on
    edited May 2008
    Hah. Ok, I've only blockaded once before, so I'm not up to par on naval combat.

It's gonna take 7.5 hrs for them to get there, damn slow boats.

juice for jesus on
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, I've successfully relocated my capital to 24:22 and within 20 minutes I will be abandoning my starting colony. It will be missed, but some casualties are to be expected. In the meantime I am looking for a wine or crystal island in the 2X:2X area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kingthlayer on