As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to skip computer and talk to operator?

Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
An acquaintance of mine has been trying to receive help with his internet connection but is finding it impossible to find any advice due to the helpline consisting of endless looping prerecorded messages.

While it may be a figment of my imagination, I recall at some point reading that many of these prerecorded message systems have hardcoded keys which, when dialled, will skip the messages and transfer the customer straight to a live operator. Do these actually exist, what is the technical name for such keys, and where can I go to find them (I live in the UK if that makes any difference)?

Bob The Monkey on

• Options
    cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    An acquaintance of mine has been trying to receive help with his internet connection but is finding it impossible to find any advice due to the helpline consisting of endless looping prerecorded messages.

While it may be a figment of my imagination, I recall at some point reading that many of these prerecorded message systems have hardcoded keys which, when dialled, will skip the messages and transfer the customer straight to a live operator. Do these actually exist, what is the technical name for such keys, and where can I go to find them (I live in the UK if that makes any difference)?

Usually its * # or 0 to drop out of the automated system (at least here in Canada it is).

cSpooge on
  • Options
    RFXRFX Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If they're voice activated menus, try saying "Agent." Sometimes (by pushing the number or by talking), it will just start the menu again, but then you just need to push it again.

RFX on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You could try searching through Get Human to see if his isp is listed in there.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Usually jamming a key not listed on the menu enough times will forward you to a real person. Note though that a lot of places now, it will actually just forward you to a receptionist who will put you back into the automated system once they realise you speak english and are not a fax machine or something. I know Bell Sympatico does this.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sometimes if you just wait on the line and don't press anything, the system will eventually send you over to a real person.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If it's one of the ones that has you talking to it. I always enjoyed spouting off unintelligible jibber jabber which always sets off "I can't understand you" after 2 of those it forwards you to an agent.

milehigh on
  • Options
    Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The other day my mom was on one of those voice-operated ones. She tried every key and phrase she could think of.

Then she said "real person."

It worked.

Zul the Conqueror on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The other day my mom was on one of those voice-operated ones. She tried every key and phrase she could think of.

Then she said "real person."

It worked.

I've done this once aswell, it was a last resort so I don't know if it was because I spent so much time doing shit it didn't understand or if "Real Person" is an actual command.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most of the time if you press nothing, it will think you have a rotary style phone so it will put you through.

Keep in mind even if you do you will probably be put through to someone who will put you through to someone else etc.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg