As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2005 at EEC?

TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
I submit my suggestion for a venue for next year's Penny Arcade Expo.

The Everett Events Center

For those of you that don't know, Everett has a new hockey stadium and events center (less than a year old). It is an enormous venue that I believe is a perfect fit for this type of event.

I for one have been to a SIMILAR event before at the EEC. It was the lanpartynw.com 200 MAN LAN. Here there was a huge room that seated 200 people with PCs, while there was 10 TVs along the hall outside. These of course being the TVs on which I first had my ass handed to me in SC2 by Zig. There are actually two conference rooms that are back to back (same size) on that floor (as well as rooms all over the venue).

I say you have one of those rooms as the console room, and the other as the PC room (with up to 200 people allowed into the LAN). The table-top gaming can find a place downstairs, and the concerts and theater could use none-other than the hockey stadium itself. Gabe and Tycho said that EVERYONE should be able to see the Minibosses, and that's how I think it could be possible.

All and all the only thing bad about this venue is that it can be expensive to rent. But I think it lies within the buget of PAX.

TrainwreckX on

• Options
    TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Umm...EEC...

expensive, yes.
    Its in fucking everette.

I dig Maydenbauyer for a few reasons. One of which PAX didnt use.
    There is a huge, fucking, main ball room, which takes up THE WHOLE DOWNSTAIRS. it seats like..my god...1000 people? shits sake its gigantic.

Its right off the 405, literally.
    Its closer to SEATAC.
    It's closer to seattle. people just go north on 405, west to seattle on 520, omg youre in seattle prettymuch.
    its just a good spot to put an event, next year, i would expect DOUBLE the preregisterants, and like...30498539085903485983 more unpreregisterants. cuz ....whats life without organized people?

so maybe EEC isnt a bad idea, or fucking just rent the god damn key arena lol.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    kolekole Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    yeah, the main Maydenbouruweune room is huge. if they want 300+ PCs there next year, that would be the room.

the only problem is the stage/concert room. not enough seats. maybe if they wire the mics better [or have some of those guys on the panels talk up] they could have a seperate room wired with tvs and speakers so if your not in the concert room, you can still hear/see everything.

i was trying to listen to the 'Breaking into the Industry' panel but couldn't hear the tvs out in the hall ways.

or block off the streets outside and have the stage outside. like TLR on MTV, but with real music, and no mtv crap.

then again, i dream a lot.

kole on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    Umm...EEC...

expensive, yes.
    Its in fucking everette.

I dig Maydenbauyer for a few reasons. One of which PAX didnt use.
    There is a huge, fucking, main ball room, which takes up THE WHOLE DOWNSTAIRS. it seats like..my god...1000 people? shits sake its gigantic.

Its right off the 405, literally.
    Its closer to SEATAC.
    It's closer to seattle. people just go north on 405, west to seattle on 520, omg youre in seattle prettymuch.
    its just a good spot to put an event, next year, i would expect DOUBLE the preregisterants, and like...30498539085903485983 more unpreregisterants. cuz ....whats life without organized people?

so maybe EEC isnt a bad idea, or fucking just rent the god damn key arena lol.

With the ballroom and being prepared as an organization for the # of people, the Maydenbauyer (sp?) would be fine.

Although, the ballroom isn't really big enough for everyone to see the big events. There were like 3000 people at PAX, dude.

Ninto on
  • Options
    TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    i realize it, but that main ballroom can be used for the musical shit for sure. its so damn big...

And um..dont know what you mean really for big events, PAX isnt like E3.
    if you mean for musical stuff, i think its great.
    for the smaller stuff like panel discussion shit, that theatre is pretty good. but yeah, not ideal.

just depends, i like the way pax is set up right now, not heavily leaning towards PCs or consoles, a nice balance between them. Im sure with the success they had this year, more companies will be ask for booths. which means...well fuck....we might have to use the Maydenbauyer roof.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I talked with Mike and Jerry, and they both said that it would be held at the same place next year, but all of it will be rented out.

Lincoln on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    i realize it, but that main ballroom can be used for the musical shit for sure. its so damn big...

And um..dont know what you mean really for big events, PAX isnt like E3.
    if you mean for musical stuff, i think its great.
    for the smaller stuff like panel discussion shit, that theatre is pretty good. but yeah, not ideal.

just depends, i like the way pax is set up right now, not heavily leaning towards PCs or consoles, a nice balance between them. Im sure with the success they had this year, more companies will be ask for booths. which means...well fuck....we might have to use the Maydenbauyer roof.

Yeah more booths would have been nice. I'd like to have seen more PS2/PC/GCN exhibitions and things, although the more you do of that, the less room you have for general gaming areas.

Edit: what do they mean rented out? Surely they don't mean *all* of it, just the exhibition area right?

Ninto on
  • Options
    PatwarePatware Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Edit: what do they mean rented out? Surely they don't mean *all* of it, just the exhibition area right?

The entire Maydendeargodthatnamehasnobusinessbeingsocomplexbauer center's going to be rented out. PAX '05 is just going to be fucking amazing. I need to think of something more than a Gamecube controller to wear.

Edit: I fail at quoting.

Patware on
    3rd place in Gamer Bling, with the Gamecube Controller medallion.
    (2nd went to the guy with a Virtual Boy.)
    (1st to that psycho with the zapper, controller, and Power Glove.)
  • Options
    AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I don't care where they do it next time, as long as it remains in the Seattle area. The location was pretty much the primary reason why I went in the first place -- anything further south is just too far for a day trip from Vancouver (of course, next time it'll be the whole weekend, but still). I'm a dedicated nerd, but not dedicated enough to drive for more than 2-1/2 hours for something that'll only last 48 hours. Even if it's something as fucking awesome as PAX.

Besides, we Canadians tend to melt in the hot southern climate.

Affliction on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Well, EEC is actually a lot more North, but I have no problems with Bellevue again. Let's have a PAX every month! FUCK!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    i really liked meydenbauer, and bellevue is a really nice town imo

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    From what I saw, it looked like everyone in Bellevue had hid in their bomb shelters from the thousands of smelly, geeky strangers. Seriously, the place looked fucking deserted.

Affliction on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Affliction wrote:
    From what I saw, it looked like everyone in Bellevue had hid in their bomb shelters from the thousands of smelly, geeky strangers. Seriously, the place looked fucking deserted.

The mall was fucking packed, though.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    Affliction wrote:

This quote is fucking short.

Ninto on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Ninto wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:
    Affliction wrote:

This is fucking shorter.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    PatwarePatware Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    Ninto wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:
    Affliction wrote:

This is fucking shorter.

Fucking shortest.

Patware on
    3rd place in Gamer Bling, with the Gamecube Controller medallion.
    (2nd went to the guy with a Virtual Boy.)
    (1st to that psycho with the zapper, controller, and Power Glove.)
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Ninto wrote:
    There were like 3000 people at PAX, dude.

Current count is 3037 unique visitors not counting guests, exhibitors, and volunteers.

Taramoor on