As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Just started doodling around recently and took a liking to a scene from The Dark Knight trailer...

noirjokerkg6.th.jpg

I'm not sure if I really like it or not... feedback would be awesome.

No one has any advice?
    C'mon guys, I require interwebs validation.

Veldrin on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen, awesome work man. Muscles look great. I can't get that sort of texture in my digital stuff and I marvel at people who know how to do it.

Veldrin; it's like you've managed to semi-competently ape Frank Miller's style and at the same time incompetently draw the cylon version of oscar the grouch.

desperaterobots on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I also forgot to mention I had some rollovers planned for the navigation.

My justification for the thumbnails is that most people view all of the work anyways, so often times they will just click on the first one, and scroll through via lightbox.

scos: that looks great! If you want to work on it anymore, but feel like you're capping out, I would suggest just bringing it all to a consistent level of the most finished parts. Also, the figure on the left looks pretty static. Im pretty sure that stabbing someone is a bit tough as well, so flexing of the guns my be in order. I get that he is supposed to be somber, but still, he shouldn't look like he is dipping into a jar of jam :P

I know it was something you just opened for funsies, but I just wanted to give you my thoughts on it, should you want to take it any further.

[edit] Got my rollovers going, if anyone wants to check them out (and make sure there are no bugs I missed :P)

Sublimus on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen, awesome work man. Muscles look great. I can't get that sort of texture in my digital stuff and I marvel at people who know how to do it.

Veldrin; it's like you've managed to semi-competently ape Frank Miller's style and at the same time incompetently draw the cylon version of oscar the grouch.

Haha, fair enough dude.

Actually, looking at it again now, it does look like a rather massive conglomerated mess... oh well, it was worth a try.

Veldrin on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    misosoup wrote: »
    Fuck 56k if your clients won't be using it.

I agree.

Honestly, who uses 56k these days? Even my Grandma is on Broadband.

I infinitely prefer scrolling galleries. I hate clicking on a shit ton of thumbnails.

Virum on
    edited May 2008
    Virum wrote: »
    misosoup wrote: »
    Fuck 56k if your clients won't be using it.

I agree.

Honestly, who uses 56k these days? Even my Grandma is on Broadband.

I infinitely prefer scrolling galleries. I hate clicking on a shit ton of thumbnails.

They're an okay solution if you're working with limited bandwidth or have super-huge amounts of images that you couldn't possibly subcategorise and simply must baffle people with.... but I think too many people use them as a default, thoughtless way to present their work.

desperaterobots on
  • nyuoobnyuoob Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    update: haven't gotten a chance to work on this lately, and i'm still trying to figure out Corel Painter, but I'm starting to become a full convert. Lots of work to be done still, but I'm still suffering through finals

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

I think her arms still look too small in proportion to her torso, but apart from that i agree with the others about corel working better with your style from what i've seen in this thread.
    personal opinion.. i thought she looked better without definied shoes :D
    i really need to start playing around with pen tablets and stuff...

nyuoob on
    edited May 2008
    pen tablets? you know what i mean

nyuoob on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok. I think I am just about finished this balloon monster thing.

Before:
    Balloonenstein.jpg

After:
    Untitled-2whitestickscleanwhiteline.png

I got my test t-shirt in the mail today (with an older fix of the image...the one with white outline slop marks around the balloon). It doesn't look too bad on a blue shirt. I think I might make the balloon even bigger. And I think I moved the image too far down when placing it on the shirt.
    DSC03548.jpg

Thoughts?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited May 2008
    playingaround.jpg

no where near finished but thought i'd post it anyway.
    first time on photoshop, not really sure what i'm doing but any pointers would be welcome. i'm aware i just used smudge for the hair - its just for a foundation.....
    plus i have to use a stupid mouse.
    stupid.

nyuoob on
    edited May 2008
    nyuoob wrote: »
    plus i have to use a stupid mouse.
    stupid.

Nothing wrong with a mouse. I use one.
    Which is why I suck. Haha.
    Well, I don't think my balloon is that bad.
    I guess.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2008
    Ok. I threw the shirt in the wash and instead of that dark circle around where the image was printed, it is a little lighter than the rest of the shirt. I have it in the dryer now, so let's see what happens.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, what the hell's up with that circle? Some kind of iron-on transfer? Boooo.

NeoRedXIII on
    edited May 2008
    Yea, I washed it and it is a little less visible, but still there. Maybe after a few more washes it will disappear? Meh. I still like the shirt (once I fix it up). I think I am going to put my Web site on the top-back of the shirt. Hmm. That could cost a few more dollars for people who purchase it. We will see.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Turns out I do finish things, it's just that they're shit.

ifnewtonapple1.jpg

Tam on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yes, its shit, but shit that smells like roses.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited May 2008
    Uh.

I don't get it. :|

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    You see, it's reversing the old story of Newton's discovery of gravity by an apple falling and hitting him on the head by proposing that the apple falling from a high branch would have killed him and therefore we wouldn't have Newtonian physics.

Also:

draqos1.jpg

Tam on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think some darker darks and some brighter brights would benefit that dino, tam. thought mainly just the darks

Asamof the Horrible on
  • CrackerpieCrackerpie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay I got a nice kick in the pants last time so here I go again. This time I drew me a deadite.

0000x5bc

Crackerpie on
    OMG I saw the greatest sig today! IT WAS TOTALLY SELF-REFERENTIAL.
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Uh.

I don't get it. :|

that's been happening way to often lately...D:

ne ways, tam, your creatures are really starting to grow on me. keep at em.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    You see, it's reversing the old story of Newton's discovery of gravity by an apple falling and hitting him on the head by proposing that the apple falling from a high branch would have killed him and therefore we wouldn't have Newtonian physics.

See... that's what I had hoped it meant. But I thought maybe the squiggles on the blackboard were some kind of esoteric particle physics reference I wasn't aware of.

desperaterobots on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is my current failure:

Two hour long speedpaint that I had to do twice to look even decent, and now it just looks like a blurry photograph. For some reason, I really can't wrap my head around speedpainting. SO AGGRAVATING.

SpeedValley.jpg

ARGH

Thing thing took me two fucking hours! It's not even "speedy".

ARGHEFLADSHFJSDKF

NightDragon on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bigger brushes and the sharpen tool?

I think it's pretty awesome.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    CapnMango wrote: »
    Bigger brushes and the sharpen tool?

I think it's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I think one of my issues was that I had a low opacity strokes around the edges of things. I actually started out with large brushes, and it worked pretty well for me.

I feel better now! I just have a problem with getting really frustrated over things when I can't get the "perfect". I'm going to try to work on that. :\

NightDragon on
    edited May 2008
    I hate to tell you this ND, but it does look decent and I rather like it.

Tam on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Crit for NightDragon: shut up it's awesome.

bombardier on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Crit for NightDragon: shut up it's awesome.

agreed.

Ravenshadow on
    edited May 2008
    ND, put it through a few sharpen filters and see what that does for you.

Also, there's something you need to keep in mind. After you've gotten to the level you're at, it's all good and fine to say "I don't like this this and this about my work" but if you start calling stuff that is at the very very least decent a "failure" you're going to make the rest of us who aren't nearly as good feel really bad.

At least, that's how I feel- especially when one of those pros on ConceptArt goes like "Aw man, this turned out horribly". The only thing I can think is "Well, what the fuck am I doing then?"

Tam on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wanted to work on something else, but I figured I had best develop this a bit before I post anything, otherwise people would think I didn't pay attention to people's crits :P

I tried to do some texture on the shirt, but I feel it sort of faded out as I zoomed out--I managed it through basically covering it with a low opacity crosshatching that I hoped would create a hint of the fibers. Oh well.

The basics for the background are barely blocked in, but since the final result was printed on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of glossy paper, nobody in the class really noticed until they got close, and I don't think I would have developed them fully anyway, in order to keep the focus on the foreground.
    piratecopy2.jpg

I also started a portrait, but it looks nothing like the person I was trying to draw, so I gave up, and I'll probably work out some more later.

portrait01.jpg

And to give my post a little more meat (from about a month ago, levels adjusted a bit):
    Ye olde sketche booke. e.
    sketchpg01.jpg
    sketchpg02.jpg
    sketchpg03.jpg
    sketchpg04.jpg

Edit: Also, I think it looks good ND, although all the softness you were complaining about makes me think lol light bloom. I know you probably already know this, but if you painted dark to light at the top, I think you've managed to drown all your darks. Going back in with some dark dark might help push the depth, though I imagine going back and tweaking speed paints might be the exact opposite of what you want to do.

piL on
    edited May 2008
    Keep doing those life sketches, piL, and use as big a brush as you can when painting. You want to block in shapes- not sketch them.

More contrast:

draqos3.jpg

Tip: As far as sketches and for beginners, Alias Sketchbook Pro kicks ass.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Alright, I decided to try again, for a second attempt (and will try to be less angsty in the future). I think this version turned out rather well, compared to the last! I think this was roughly 2 hours, too. I feel it's an improvement.

SpeedLake2.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wow, that looks friggen great ND.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Keep doing those life sketches, piL, and use as big a brush as you can when painting. You want to block in shapes- not sketch them.

Well, I usually do, especially in painting with the tablet, but then I start trying to get the brush smaller so I can take care of smaller details, and then everything starts getting wonky. Thanks though, I plan to keep it up! It's rainy today, or I would have gone to the park :P

ND : Uh wow, that's rocktastic.

piL on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought your first one was great ND, but now I want to bear your children, that's fan-fookin-tastic. I'd like to see someone find something to crit there, cause I can't see anything I don't like.

Mustang on
    edited May 2008
    Good biscuits and gravy, we have another Alduar on our hands!

Tam on
  • MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ND - I think the trees could still use a little working over, more-so on the left. There are some blotches of color here and there that interrupt the rest. I'm also not sure about how the mountain smears into the water. It seems like the reflection is dropping into the water rather than projecting out due to those lines. Further out it looks well-done, though.

Bravo, overall. I'd like to see a tut for your skies and waters.

And everything else for that matter.

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, I decided to try again, for a second attempt (and will try to be less angsty in the future). I think this version turned out rather well, compared to the last! I think this was roughly 2 hours, too. I feel it's an improvement.
    SpeedLake2.jpg

wtf?! No wonder you were angsty... that last one pales to this one.

That is amazing. How did you go about getting the texture in the mountains?

Ravenshadow on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

wtf?! No wonder you were angsty... that last one pales to this one.

That is amazing. How did you go about getting the texture in the mountains?

and for the photoshop challenged, how did you go about doing the whole damn thing?

XAL on
    edited May 2008
    Good biscuits and gravy, we have another Alduar on our hands!

Best. Compliment. Evar. :3 Thank you thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wowzers! Thanks for the comments, duders. :D

XAL - well, I had a photo reference, went from large blobs of basic, overall colors to more detailed work as time went on. Not sure how else to explain it, heh!

Raven - Almost the entire thing was painted using a brush I created - just a standard, round, textured brush...that I then squished horizontally, and made diagonal (for most of the piece. The trees at the bottom were made with the brush vertical, the water was made with the brush horizontal). As for the mountains, I just used varying sizes of the brush with a diagonal orientation...which can give you flat, broad strokes when you draw horizontally, or thin, crisp lines when you draw along the diagonal orientation. I changed the orientation/opacity/flow/size a few times throughout to get different effects. I ran the sharpen tool over just a bit, too (Thanks for the suggestion, Tam!).

Mertzy - Thanks for the crits! I'll keep stuff like that in mind for the next speedpaint I do.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.