As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Building a computer

someguy76008someguy76008 Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My father and I are building a computer for my mother. The manuals that come with the parts are pretty terrible at explaining. I know it is probably asking too much for a very simple instruction site, but is there a site that has a great tutorial for putting a computer together?

Im sleepy
someguy76008 on

• Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's cake to put a computer together; everything will only fit into places it's supposed to, just make sure you have all the parts you need, check the computer advice thread for that.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The most helpful manual (if they did their job) is the motherboards. They do a good job of telling you how to connect everything. Read it cover to cover, for it is your bible for the hours you spend fiddling with your new PC.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    someguy76008someguy76008 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The manual for the motherboard is kind of good, but I am connecting the power supply right now. The manual has pictures, but they are in black and white and I can't see what is going on. The names are all different. I THINK I what to do, but I wish I could be more sure.

I checked the Computer Advice thread, and it helped. But I just wish there was more of a step by step help.

someguy76008 on
    Im sleepy
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1444&page=1

is ok.

A few basic tips is to make sure that your motherboard is on pillers (so it's insulated from the case). Your processor/heatsink should have some thermal compound connecting them. And to never ever force anything, it should all slide in quite nicely.

Rook on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I checked the Computer Advice thread, and it helped. But I just wish there was more of a step by step help.

So you've read the linked wiki guide?

Anyway, Dan's Data has a nice tutorial on building a PC; it's very old (the video card isn't even AGP :o) but might supplement the other guides in some areas.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."