As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ikariam: Burning the World, one kitty at a time

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You probably don't need a port yet, but the level 1 version is cheap and fast to build.

Make a shipyard and build one ship. Your town's not really big enough to attract raids yet, but one ship helps just in case.

Keep your wall even with your town hall, or close to it.

Get wine press and make a tavern when you can, since you're on a wine island.

juice for jesus on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You don't need a trade port until you either have a colony or start buying/selling a bunch of resources.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've only got 5 slingers, and I didn't get those until way after you. Those should be more than enough to raid juicy inactive targets. If you need defense right now, a warehouse or a wall would be far more effective than additional slingers. Those will kill your gold and wood income.

Edit: Also,

Voro @ 15:65 / Vorograd / Crystal

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Should I raid people on my island? I guess that's my only choice right now right?

Endomatic on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Got my third colony up:

Al Baron @ 24:21 / Baron Point / Wine

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Should I raid people on my island? I guess that's my only choice right now right?

You can raid connecting islands too. Once you get expansion you can raid the world.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2008
    Need a port to buy some trade ships, though, or you won't get any sweet sweet resources.

juice for jesus on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »

For a babelfish, that isn't that bad. Only 3 real errors in there ;)
    Indeed, that is pretty impressive.

Aldo on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm looking to start a crystal colony on delta; do we have an island for that purpose in the 6X:6X area? Or shall I just build it around my place?

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Yay, I won. Lost 6 units to his 30.

Next up is 90 ships in about 3 hours. I'm hoping this is the mighty ramship armada.

juice for jesus on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I've decided to do It. The Big Project. Tomorrow morning I'll have enough marble to start the level 17 warehouse, and starting now I'm shipping all my resources to my capital to save up for Palace 5 (City 6). Factoring out raids/market/me building other stuff in the meanwhile, it'll take me 6 days to gather the wood, and 2 weeks to gather the crystal and marble. ...And 70 days to gather the wine, even with my large stash of stolen booze I've already got. Gonna need to find another source for that stuff.

Scooter on
    edited May 2008
    Someone able to translate "Wir mussen die Juden ausrausen, und du bist die Juden." for me?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Someone able to translate "Wir mussen die Juden ausrausen, und du bist die Juden." for me?
    "We must exterminate the Jews and you are a Jew."

Whoever said this to you should be reported.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    "We must exterminate the Jews and you are a Jew."

Whoever said this to you should be reported.

I suspected it was something along those lines. Google/babelfish was not helping me with "ausrausen". Reported.

In addition to the content, non-English messages aren't allowed I'm pretty sure.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    He's basically calling you a Jew.

Edit- beaten

Thetheroo on
    edited May 2008
    I suspected it was something along those lines. Google/babelfish was not helping me with "ausrausen". Reported.
    <3 Good man.

Aldo on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    So I've decided to do It. The Big Project. Tomorrow morning I'll have enough marble to start the level 17 warehouse, and starting now I'm shipping all my resources to my capital to save up for Palace 5 (City 6). Factoring out raids/market/me building other stuff in the meanwhile, it'll take me 6 days to gather the wood, and 2 weeks to gather the crystal and marble. ...And 70 days to gather the wine, even with my large stash of stolen booze I've already got. Gonna need to find another source for that stuff.

Wine is typically easy to buy. Lots of people with 2-3 islands, including a wine, have vast surpluses of it.

captaink on
  • KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm looking at starting the same thing.

I think I'm going to go rock quietly in a corner, hoping no one attacks me, with my massive hoarding of resources.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
    edited May 2008
    Karenna wrote: »

I'm looking at starting the same thing.

I think I'm going to go rock quietly in a corner, hoping no one attacks me, with my massive hoarding of resources.

I've already started beefing up the defenses of my capitol. Steam Giants should come online right about when the stock levels are getting super tempting. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2008
    I've sent out spies to about eight different wine cities in my area. The King must have wine flowing from all the taps in his palace, so it's up to them to pay tribute.

I want my empire to have the best tasting toilet water in the world, dammit

Scooter on
  • SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I forgot to send my non-wine colonies wine. I think my people are a tad displeased. Whoops.

I think I shall start to build up a pillaging army soon, though I probably will find no use of them because I know I'll feel bad afterwards.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
    edited May 2008
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    I forgot to send my non-wine colonies wine. I think my people are a tad displeased. Whoops.

I think I shall start to build up a pillaging army soon, though I probably will find no use of them because I know I'll feel bad aftwerward.

You'll get over it. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2008
    Fuck you, level 15 warehouse.

What level do you need for the level 5 palace? I'm almost afraid to ask.

captaink on
    edited May 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Fuck you, level 15 warehouse.

What level do you need for the level 5 palace? I'm almost afraid to ask.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well this just sucks. There are like 3 crystal islands in my immediate area, and no one is selling any of it. This makes me angry, I'm sitting on more marble than I need but no crystal. It's going to be tough to get my academy to level 5 with no crystal.

Maybe I should just pillage some.

Thetheroo on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, take it.

captaink on
  • BulwarkBulwark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Next up is 90 ships in about 3 hours. I'm hoping this is the mighty ramship armada.
    He sent ground troops first again? The dude does not learn. A lot of my resources are tied up in hauling 31 boatloads of stuff from the Monikopolis target you shared, but I can still get some wanging in.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008
    Bulwark wrote: »

He sent ground troops first again? The dude does not learn. A lot of my resources are tied up in hauling 31 boatloads of stuff from the Monikopolis target you shared, but I can still get some wanging in.

holy shit!

Yeah that dude's dumb, he should have a couple cities wide open to attack right about now.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2008
    holy shit!

Yeah that dude's dumb, he should have a couple cities wide open to attack right about now.
    High level ports are serious business. Note that Jaydawgg's city of "WTF" has a level 5 port, which the wiki chart says will yield up to nine boatloads of goods per pillage.

When a spy report from a city says that they're not paying attention to their subjects, does that apply only to that city, or does it mean that they're not online?

In between Jaydawgg, that "bulldawgs" city, and a 0 military player with a powerful alliance who just went inactive near me (who did not have the phrase dawg anywhere in his name), my towns are overflowing with pillaged goods.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008
    It means nothing because that spy mission is bugged.

Scooter on
    edited May 2008
    It means nothing because that spy mission is bugged.
    That's unfortunate. I guess I'll have to be either a little more clever with the detectivework or a little more heavyhanded with blockading.

Bulwark on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, paradoxmd has been reduced to nothing but slingers it appears. He just doesn't quit, does he? I'm convinced now that he's just doing it on purpose to keep me from getting my hands on his wood.

:winky:

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited May 2008
    Well, paradoxmd has been reduced to nothing but slingers it appears. He just doesn't quit, does he? I'm convinced now that he's just doing it on purpose to keep me from getting my hands on his wood.

Has there been any more diplomatic discussion of "big problems" between you? :P

Bulwark on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bulwark wrote: »

Has there been any more diplomatic discussion of "big problems" between you? :P

Oh they're BIG allright! :winky::winky:

Nope, no word from him at all. I'll send him an ultimatum tomorrow or something.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You could tell him that he is allowed to have a small fleet of ballistas and phalanxes, but no offensive units

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2008
    Damn, looking like I might lose this sea battle. Guess I should have moved some ships over from my colonies.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2008
    You could tell him that he is allowed to communicate only in iambic pentameter.
    Damn, looking like I might lose this sea battle. Guess I should have moved some ships over from my colonies.
    If you have the option to flee from the battle and preserve your ships, it might be worth it to save what you can to fight another day. I'm not sure if that option only appears when you're the attacker, though.

Bulwark on
    edited May 2008
    On the plus side, this war is bankrupting him. He's down to 200k, and keeping that fleet out must be costing an arm and a leg.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2008
    On the plus side, this war is bankrupting him. He's down to 200k, and keeping that fleet out must be costing an arm and a leg.
    Even his total score is decreasing - I know it was over 5800 earlier today. I may not have a high opinion of his intelligence, but I have a certain respect for the fighting ethos that compels someone to go out in a blaze of 90 burning ramships, Viking style.

Bulwark on
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, trying this thing out. So far so good on a crowded wine island with a couple of slingers.

Can't do much more with the wall yet, as there's no marble to be had from what I can see. Wealth finishes in some horribly long time.

Blinkenis 36:89

ReaperSMS on