As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did anyone see those cosplay chicks?

• BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    no sir/ma'am (sorry), i had a shirt on that said "i'm not even supposed to be here today!"

i dont remember the other one

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    Why weren't other Webcomics there?

There were other webcomics there, we just didn't get put on any panels or anything because we're small time so nobody knows about us yet. I know that I met 3 or 4 other people that run comics. Given, I was too tired to get a URL or anything, but they were there.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Why weren't other Webcomics there?

There were other webcomics there, we just didn't get put on any panels or anything because we're small time so nobody knows about us yet. I know that I met 3 or 4 other people that run comics. Given, I was too tired to get a URL or anything, but they were there.

I knew there were other webcomics, but I was meaning some of the 'giants' like Megatokyo or Mac Hall.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited September 2004
    Then yeah, what the other guy said.

sPider817 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    On the cosplay issue: I had read on this forum that there was going to be cosplay at PAX so I considered going as Mario. Basically, I would have just been a guy in a red shirt and overalls with a red hat with an "M" on it. I didn't do it because I couldn't get any overalls in time. What I'm trying to say is that I don't see any problem showing up at a fan gathering dressed as an icon of that fandom. It shows your support. No, there wasn't a "reason to cosplay" like a contest or something. But I think one of the ultimate ways to show your geekdom is to cosplay.

Now, I personally would like to see the costumes keep to gaming. But I don't think it would be too far-fetched for someone to come as an anime, movie, or comic book character. Although PAX was mainly about Penny Arcade, I've come to believe that it was meant to be a mecca for geekdom in general. Therefore, anything that has a massive group of obsessive fans would be fair game. If the costume is done well enough, then it becomes something else to make an exciting event more memorable.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2004
    My brother told me that the guy that makes the Shaw Island comic was going to be at PAX. I thus expected him to have a table there or something. When I didn't see one, I figured he just went as an attendee. But I don't think it would have been out of place for some of the comics that Penny Arcade has mentioned in the past to have some kind of exhibit at PAX. I mean, Red vs. Blue had a big presentation and signing. Would it be so different if say the Homestar Runner guys did the same? Or if Scott Kurtz had a table to do PvP signings and then maybe had a debate with Mike and Jerry?

Unknown User on
  • seppuku FDseppuku FD Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    futility wrote:

were you there to sell a product or were you there as yourselves a group of girl gamers?

to be honest I'm really curious about your group. I think it's great that there's a group of girl gamers out there. But are you honestly for real? Are you a group of unicorns or are you painted horses with horns taped to your heads. I mean from what I heard, and I don't mean to sound misogyonistic or anything, all you guys really did was look good and play well.

no, we weren't there to sell products at all. just there to play games. kinda sucked because Ubi only wanted 4 of us on black arrow, so the rest of the girls had to demo games (hence looking more like horeses w/horns taped to their heads - i understand). but really, we're legit gamers. in fact, we all went through rounds of testing on our game playing capability and we all applied w/our extensive gaming resumes. check out what bungie had to say about us.

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=paxvisit&p=613510

and our blog site - www.fragdolls.com

seppuku FD on
    1-Get a frisbee from the store or friend.
    2-Clean the Frisbee
    3-Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream
    4-Get really super pissed
    5-Fold Frisbee hard
    6-Insert Frisbee into mouth hard
    7-Push hard until you can’t see it
    8-Wait
    9-Die
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    I saw Nightingale taking a picture when she was going down the escalator, I need to post the picture because it looked like she was taking a picture of me. So I took one back.

she's hawt in and out of costume btw

Grath on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    seppuku FD wrote:
    futility wrote:

were you there to sell a product or were you there as yourselves a group of girl gamers?

to be honest I'm really curious about your group. I think it's great that there's a group of girl gamers out there. But are you honestly for real? Are you a group of unicorns or are you painted horses with horns taped to your heads. I mean from what I heard, and I don't mean to sound misogyonistic or anything, all you guys really did was look good and play well.

no, we weren't there to sell products at all. just there to play games. kinda sucked because Ubi only wanted 4 of us on black arrow, so the rest of the girls had to demo games (hence looking more like horeses w/horns taped to their heads - i understand). but really, we're legit gamers. in fact, we all went through rounds of testing on our game playing capability and we all applied w/our extensive gaming resumes. check out what bungie had to say about us.

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=paxvisit&p=613510

and our blog site - www.fragdolls.com

I played Rainbow six with you. I was sarah's "waterboy" so i got put in the match even though I had never played that game.

The only reason I remember is because you're the only one i got a kill on and i Was saying " I got this shirt for shooting Seppuku the frag doll"

They were damn good by the way.

Grath on
    edited September 2004
    Ninto wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    futility wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    I have only heard mention of these "Frag Dolls". Who were they and why do people keep talking about them?

well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer. we all play on different platforms and games, but right now our focus is on RS3 and RS3:BA. this was our first con and first tourney together (and i have to say, we kicked butt). i had tons of fun for my first gaming con (i had only been to comic-con before). oh, and check out our blog site - http://fragdolls.blogspot.com :P

so you're shills?

LOL. no, we're just girls gamers who happen to be good. <3

Yes but you get paid to play in order to promote UBISoft's games. Shills. Nothing wrong with being a shill, it's not derogatory or anything. We employ lots of them in the Poker world.

BTW, did some of you tell Dario that you were going to party with us Saturday night at the Doubletree?

Yes I remember talking with him...It was my first time in Seattle and I defiantly wanted to go experience the night life...I told him we were going to find a club or something and he mentioned his party at the Double Tree. I told him we would try to stop by, but we didn't get out of the tournament until 11:30 and out of dinner until 1:30 so we ended up not going out until Sunday. I did send one of the developer of Splinter Cell 3 to the 4th floor (I think that was the floor Dario was staying on) to check it out, but he said right when he got out of the elevator that there were a lot of security guard everywhere so he left. Next time maybe the fRAG DOLLS can host the party :)

BrookeLyn FD

Unknown User on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    In addition to the mandatory cosplay of MYSELF (I am such a self-promoting bastard whore bitch slut), I'm going to be doing an actual cosplay next year.

nightmare_concept.jpg

I've got a year to work on it, right?

Red Machine D on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    fragdolls_team.jpg

I think I'm in love. <3<3<3

In all seriousness, It's rather neat that they have a company ready to pay them just to, you know, be female and game. On the flip side, it's kinda sad that that's rare enough to be something special.

KiTA on
    edited September 2004
    Whichever one let me borrow their lighter is my favorite. Then again, I can't remember exactly who it was.

For some reason I think it was Valkyrie.

Red Machine D on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    chicksig.jpg

They've got my respect for taking the time to learn the games enough to be great at them.

As a fighting game tournament player, I know some girls that are decent at Soul Calibur II.

It's all about matching up against your opponent with your mental fortitude and reflexive skills. Stereotypes be damned.

I think the Frag Dolls are getting a bit too much flak from certain people. Sure, they're corporation-sponsored, and anything supported by "The Man" must be bad! :roll:

I wouldn't consider them booth babes, because under that soft cushy exterior there's a hardcore gamer in there :D

Hope to see you gals back next year. 8)

As for the cosplay chicks:

Don't complain about them. Let people do what they want if they're just enjoying themselves.

The Kasumi, Aya, and Sophitia costumes looked great! You gals are certainly inspiring more people to cosplay next year :D

The wavemaster and the Gabe weren't bad either :wink:

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I cosplayed as myself.

No, really. I did.

Yes I know, I saw you there. You walked right by me on the balcony. Your cape flapped in the wind and smacked my ass. At first I thought someone had grabbed my butt (it is very tempting) but when I turned around I realized it was the cape of the bandit RED MACHINE D!

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • PatwarePatware Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Right then, I've decided. PAX '05, look out for the glory of Patware as Luigi.

So must it be!

Patware on
    3rd place in Gamer Bling, with the Gamecube Controller medallion.
    (2nd went to the guy with a Virtual Boy.)
    (1st to that psycho with the zapper, controller, and Power Glove.)
    edited September 2004
    Patware wrote:
    Right then, I've decided. PAX '05, look out for the glory of Patware as Luigi.

So must it be!

If you're being Luigi, I'm being Wario.

And you'd make a better Mario.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2004
    Stubles wrote:
    If you're being Luigi, I'm being Wario.

And you'd make a better Mario.

I'm like 6'12". I'm /way/ too tall to be Mario.

Patware on
    edited September 2004
    Hey D, I'll take you on in a cosplay fight next year. Of course, I'm buying my costume, simply because I don't have the time to make the costume I want, nor the manufacturing equipment. You'll see. All I'll say is don't get pissed if I sneak up behind you and whack you with my pistol.

sPider817 on
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    I'd really hate to see PAX turn into Generic Con 2010 with the focus on gaming lost to ambiguous fandom.

A most sincere form of blasphemy. I don't know why the fuck you think that the PENNY ARCADE EXPO would become something "generic", even as a hypothetic impossibility.

I can't even begin to figure out an idea as to how you can come to get the notion that someone else ever said anything relevent to PAX being something not unique.

Speaking of uniqueness, how the hell does one draw the line on what's unique and what is not when it comes to an event consisting of more than three thousand participants? Would a sense of originality really make PAX more enjoyable? No Anime, No movies, No conversations regarding personal interests, Only gaming, huh? No, of course you're not pointing towards that, but what are you getting at if there are borders that are not supposed to be crossed?

Gaming cosplay gets a thumbs up from me.

I mean,
    Hell yeah!

If I had money to simply get rid of on a whim, you'd know for damn sure that I'd be attending PAX in a Spartan outfit.

If I were to see anime being cosplayed at PAX I would be indifferent. An event like PAX cannot happen without the attendees. FUCK AN EVENT WHERE EVERYTHING IS THE SAME THING. It was awesome to see some people cosplay, it really changed things, otherwise I would have wondered where all the creativity went. I'm glad some people decided to enjoy themselves, whether their goal was to be easily recognizable, make conversations more likely, or "just for attention". I'd say that's much better than criticizing others for any given reason.

As for the whole topic about the Frag Dolls, I have three things to say:
    Make-up is stupid.
    You all perform very well.
    I love it when you bite your bottom lip mid-game.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    edited September 2004
    B:L wrote:
    I think the Frag Dolls are getting a bit too much flak from certain people. Sure, they're corporation-sponsored, and anything supported by "The Man" must be bad! :roll:

Of all the things that corporations sponsor, I think that you could do a lot worse than a group of girl gamers, especially REAL GOOD ones like the FD. Better than some lame-ass sympony! 8)

Unknown User on
  • Steve_HardOCPSteve_HardOCP Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    KiTA wrote:
    fragdolls_team.jpg

I think I'm in love. <3<3<3

I second that.... ALL these women are beautiful, the fact that they are gamers just ratchets them up four or five notches in my book.

Steve_HardOCP on
    edited September 2004
    While I am thinking about it, this is a question to the Frag Dolls....

...do you guys do interviews? Sorry for asking here.

I have a ton of Gaming Related interviews posted on Hypothermia / HardOCP, I wonder if an interview is possible (at your convenience of course )

http://www.hypothermia.us/interviews/interview_list.htm

they are all light hearted, good natured interviews.

steve@hardocp.com

Steve_HardOCP on
    edited September 2004
    I wouldn't consider them booth babes, because under that soft cushy exterior there's a hardcore gamer in there :D

Lol. That's a hilarious quote.

And to Steve_HardOCP, send me a PM and we'll see if we can set something up.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2004

Lol. That's a hilarious quote.

And to Steve_HardOCP, send me a PM and we'll see if we can set something up.

Thanks! ;)

PM sent!

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Well, shit man, this seems to be the PAX wrap-up chat thread I guess. I just got my ass back to California last night after working on the teardown for a bit on Monday. (That DDR machine is fucking HEAVY).

The Frag Dolls were fucking metal. I'm so glad that I had a chance to hang out with you kittens on Friday night, wish that Khoo and I had more time for you. Amy, you did a great job at the tournament and it's easy to see that you are the team captain, on and off the monitor. Brook, good luck to you! If this FD thing doesn't work out you could totally make it in Vegas with that Charlize Theron thing you got goin on. Seriously.

Jinx, you stole my heart. He'd better know he's a lucky guy. Lemme know if you are serious about SF, I can hook you up out here.

Looking forward to seeing you all at PAX '05. I would love to go up against you ladies next year. And after that, maybe we could play some video games...

Later Kittens! Goin to E3?

Love always,

Stormy

Storm Shadow on
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    In addition to the mandatory cosplay of MYSELF (I am such a self-promoting bastard whore bitch slut), I'm going to be doing an actual cosplay next year.

nightmare_concept.jpg

umm...someone on ebay was selling that outfit for like 1500 bucks.
    sword included.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
    edited September 2004
    TheMountie wrote:

nightmare_concept.jpg

umm...someone on ebay was selling that outfit for like 1500 bucks.
    sword included.
    Nah, I'm gonna make it myself. I figure a year is enough time.

Red Machine D on
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    i used to hijack old cars, need some steel?

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
    edited September 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    i used to hijack old cars, need some steel?
    i think i'mg oing to use aluminum for the blade and the frame... i'm going to be using some switches and such for OMG SPECIAL FX so i'll need to keep it as lightweight as possible...

Red Machine D on
    edited September 2004
    That's going to be some hardcore shit, D, I can't wait.

Patware on
    edited September 2004
    Well, here's what I've got so far.

I'm going to make the armor mostly out of fabric, craft foam, and some kind of loose cage frame (especially for the breastplate and graves). The right arm is mostly going to be a long shirt sleeve with a kind of exoskeleton of craft foam plates, overlayted by a flexible material that will make up the fucked-up "skin". The claw itself will most likely be made out of some kind of glove that will contain animatronic controls that will control actuators and servos, allowing me to use the claw as a giant two-fingered hand. The helmet won't be as hard as the rest of it, but getting the rfucked-up evil eye shit might be a hard thing to do. For the ponytail, I'm thinking bleached horsehair.

The swor dis oging to be a mitch though. The main thing I want is a switch that will make use of various cords and rods and pulleys and whatever else that will open and close the eye. The rest of the sword will be made out of craft foam, aluminum, wood, etc. and will most likely be hollow.

edit: I'm thinking of maybe some kind of LED lighting inside the sword jus tunder the outer layer of stuff that will make it glow red, and possibly some kind of sound emitter that, upon the push of a button, will make the sword scream. I think that'd be cool.

Red Machine D on
    edited September 2004
    J... Jesus Christ, dude.

As for the eyes, I know you can get glow-in-the-dark colored contacts. A friend of mine back in Gloversville actually had the glow-in-the-dark red ones that'd be perfect. I'll try to get in touch with him and find out where he got them.

Patware on
  • SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Patware wrote:
    J... Jesus Christ, dude.
    You obviously don't have much experience with hurricane D...

SnowGhost on
    edited September 2004
    Just finally got off my ass and joined this forum yesterday. I don't usually go on forums, but considering the awesomeness of the people at PAX this one had to be a keeper.

Patware on
    edited September 2004
    PAX was enough to get my ass on here. Now I'm a fuckin junkie. I think I check these forums more often than the ones for MY comic. Of course, our forum only has like 10 members.

sPider817 on
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Whichever one let me borrow their lighter is my favorite. Then again, I can't remember exactly who it was.

For some reason I think it was Valkyrie.

Yep, that was me and I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to meet you- you definately stuck out in my mind!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Ninto wrote:
    BTW, did some of you tell Dario that you were going to party with us Saturday night at the Doubletree?

I did send one of the developer of Splinter Cell 3 to the 4th floor (I think that was the floor Dario was staying on) to check it out, but he said right when he got out of the elevator that there were a lot of security guard everywhere so he left. Next time maybe the fRAG DOLLS can host the party :)

BrookeLyn FD

Not a bad idea, although I have a feeling that you might have trouble finding space to host it ;)

Oh, and... "send one of the developers" sounds like you had a few servants at your beck and call...lol

Ninto on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    dario's party was on the first floor and it went all through the night, i think

i know i didn't leave until like 4 in the morning and there were still a ton of people there

there was a big wedding party going on in room 402, some of the people from that filtered their way over to dario's

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I'm going to agree with Val... It was a lot of fun meeting RedMachineD. It was cool to know a name from the forums and be like "oooh! That's who you are! cool!" ... and even without knowing the name, the cape was pimp as hell.

Then I'm going to go and agree with Brookelyn. It would be fun to host a party since we missed out on the last one. **starts collecting consoles and tvs in anticipation** You're all going down in Mario Kart 64, biznitches! ;) I'm just kidding, I can't back that up... yet.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif