As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need to HACK and I need to SLASH!

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    If I bought the game on Steam, I would be able to connect to Hamachi servers and such, right? I have seen it in the Target that I work at, I'll probably check there first before buying it because hard copies are a lot of fun!

As far as I know, games on Steam are exactly the same as if you installed them from a CD you bought at a store. That said, I don't personally know about TQ, but every other game I've played off Steam has held true to this.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks, Krunk.

Also, the day-night cycles and physics are amazing in TQ.

Regicid3 on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I should install Titan Quest.

My friend sold it to me for $10 when he left Korea.

I'm just worried my video card can't handle it. It's an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. AGP.

Yes, my PC sucks. I know.

langfor6 on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I should install Titan Quest.

My friend sold it to me for $10 when he left Korea.

I'm just worried my video card can't handle it. It's an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. AGP.

Yes, my PC sucks. I know.

I have a ATI Radeon X850 and it works fine.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Witcher is a great hack 'n slashesque RPG.

If you can sit tight for a little while longer they're releasing an enhanced version with a laundry list of new features that includes a better translation of the story, 3000 re-recorded lines, new NPC models, new inventory, faster load times, new adventures, etc.

They're releasing this all free as an update for anyone who's already purchased the game. And releasing the enhanced version CHEAPER as an updated bundle for retail purchase.

Wow, I know!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Trus wrote: »
    Kind of in the same vein, what do ya'll think of the Dungeon Siege games?

I liked them, the second more then the first. They were a little faster paced then Titan Quest, but did not look as good.

If you only have $20 to spend, but Titan Quest.

chamberlain on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I liked them, the second more then the first. They were a little faster paced then Titan Quest, but did not look as good.

That's funny. I liked the first Dungeon Siege more than the second. I think that has to do with two good friends of mine always playing that game with me. Anyhow, they're decent games.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2008

That's funny. I liked the first Dungeon Siege more than the second. I think that has to do with two good friends of mine always playing that game with me. Anyhow, they're decent games.

I never actually finished the first, but ran through the second pretty quickly. I remember my archer had some ridiculous BFG style attack that would send body parts flying. It was hilarious.

Check out Space Siege, it basically Dungeon Siege in space and I am pretty sure it is coming out this year.

chamberlain on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Too Human when it comes out looks like the best iteration of an action RPG on the console yet from a western developer.

Yeah I'm going to be doing an OP on this game soon, it's just hard to find good solid information. I mean different wab pages post different things :(. But this game does look amazing, I saw a cinematic trailer like a year ago and was like meh, then I saw a gameplay one and nearly blew off my pants

EDIT: also for the post a few up from mine about the video card, an X850 is a lot better then an x1300. Yeah thet don't make it easy for some reason, but basically the first number is the series number number and the second number indicates the hardware level.
    x0850 > x1300. Thats the easiest way to look at it. I mean you could look at the tech specs. I think those two cards have the same texutre memory but the x850 has a way higher memory and core clock speed, with pretty much more of everything else. I'm not 100% postivive on how much better it is as I'm an Nvidia man my self but I know it is quite a bit better

Dixon on
    edited May 2008
    What ever happened to Sacred 2? I remember seeing pics for it over a year ago, and then that it was going to come out for PC and XB360, and now nothing. I hope it didn't evaporate. Scared was good fun, though they nerfed my charcter a few patches in. (Vampiress, unlimited zombies ftw).

chamberlain on
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Second Dungeon Siege 2 & Titan Quest & Expansion for D2-esques.

Also, a mod came out fairly recently for TQ that totally redoes all of the skill tries etc., totally refreshed the game for me after I'd tired of it.
    TQ Masteries mod, I think it's hosted on ign or something.

Kivutar on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What ever happened to Sacred 2? I remember seeing pics for it over a year ago, and then that it was going to come out for PC and XB360, and now nothing. I hope it didn't evaporate. Scared was good fun, though they nerfed my charcter a few patches in. (Vampiress, unlimited zombies ftw).

As far as I know, it's still on track for a September release. I think the Battle Mage was my preferred class in Sacred, though it was fun running around as a Saraphim dual wielding 'sabers of light'. Gladiator boxers were also kind of fun.

Doronron on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also worth mentioning is that there's a solid mod community with Titan Quest. A group recently put out a complete Masteries mod (essentially changes all of the classes & skills), there are mods for enhanced difficulty & more monsters, along with more traditional custom quests mods.

Anyway, Titan Quest is highly recommended. I rather enjoyed the Hellgate: London demo so if the full game is noticeably better, I guess I'd better pick it up, especially now that the price has dropped and there are some patches & balancing.

RainbowDespair on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tried installing Titan Quest from steam on my laptop and I keep getting loading screens every 5-10 seconds.
    Then again, my laptop sucks so thats probably why. Hellgate is pretty good, I haven't tried any of the subscriber stuff, but just the core game can be pretty fun, especially if you group up for it.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Doronron wrote: »

As far as I know, it's still on track for a September release. I think the Battle Mage was my preferred class in Sacred, though it was fun running around as a Saraphim dual wielding 'sabers of light'. Gladiator boxers were also kind of fun.

It still has lots of updates. The latest was only a few days ago. Blind Guardian is making music exclusively for the game, too. :D

I liked the Battle Mage a lot, too, but that vampire class was sweet, as well. Come night you'd transform and then claw the fuck out of everything. That's one thing you can give to Sacred, they had cool classes, and cool armor and weapon sets to go with them.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited May 2008
    Also worth noting is that Sacred Gold is coming to GameTap next month. :)

RainbowDespair on
    edited May 2008
    I just bought Titan quest and the expansion for like 10 bucks total at best buy bargain bin! woot
    I'll be installing prob some time over weekend to play, ooo I'm all giddy, also I want into mythos! Someone help a dude out!

Also hellgate london is great, Not the best hack 'm slash but it does pretty good. Looks great with the DX10 settings all maxed and I thought all the weapons were great. I didn't notice the lack of axes which sucks. I mean I like to mix it up besides swords a little bit (I'm a sword guy btw so that tells you something). The one hammer weapon they put in to the games doesn't counter either :P That giant ass black chuck of metal sword you can get at the end of the game almost made up for it. Even the other classes have some pretty cool weapons, and the characters look sick in there armor

Dixon on
  • Gina VGina V Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I also highly recommend Titan Quest. I was incredibly addicted to it for awhile there. I ended up playing through it twice. In fact, talking about it, I think I might go home today and start a new game.

If you can find the expansion, I’d recommend it also. The added storage space alone made it a worthwhile purchase for me.

Gina V on
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

It still has lots of updates. The latest was only a few days ago. Blind Guardian is making music exclusively for the game, too. :D

I liked the Battle Mage a lot, too, but that vampire class was sweet, as well. Come night you'd transform and then claw the fuck out of everything. That's one thing you can give to Sacred, they had cool classes, and cool armor and weapon sets to go with them.

I agree. A hell of a lot of good designs in there.

Doronron on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Divine Divinity might be something to look in to.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I decided to check out Hellgate again after the posts in this thread saying it was a much better game by now due to the updates. Well, that's only partially true. From a tech POV it most certainly is, but the SP campaign is still just as boring as it ever was. It's not so much the gameplay itself (outside of the copy/paste nature of a lot of the levels). It is the story and script that completely ruins the immersion for me. It's like they had a good idea for a story (the intro video is good and really made me want to play the game) but for some bizarre reason it’s like they decided that they wanted the characters from Wayne's World to write the dialogue…

Titan Quest doesn't have much of a story either, but the game itself is really good and I thought that the setting worked very well. It’s entertaining and well worth the current asking price on Steam. Sacred is also well worth a look, although at the time I played it there was a lot of technical issues with it.

Dírhael on
    edited May 2008
    Question: Does the Titan Quest expansion pack add things to the main game that will make playing through the first four acts more fun? Or will I be OK if I just bought the first game separately? I may be buying them together on Steam but I think there's a deal at the Target I work at that I want to check first.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008
    Gina V wrote: »
    I also highly recommend Titan Quest. I was incredibly addicted to it for awhile there. I ended up playing through it twice. In fact, talking about it, I think I might go home today and start a new game.

If you can find the expansion, I’d recommend it also. The added storage space alone made it a worthwhile purchase for me.

Oh.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008

Oh.

Think of it as (sort of) like the expansion for D2:

Two new Mastery trees
    A new set of acts tacked on to the end of the first set.
    New monsters for those acts
    Extra storage space on travelling merchants
    The ability to transfer gear from one character to another in the SP game through those merchants
    Recipe scrolls for making powerful artifacts
    More powerful recipes for making bigger artifacts out of other artifacts
    More Gear

They make the game a hell of a lot more fun, and gave me a reason to play through a couple more times even though I loathe static maps and monster placement in a Diablo clone.

Doronron on
    edited May 2008
    Question: Does the Titan Quest expansion pack add things to the main game that will make playing through the first four acts more fun? Or will I be OK if I just bought the first game separately? I may be buying them together on Steam but I think there's a deal at the Target I work at that I want to check first.

IMHO, you're more than fine without the expansion pack. But the little quality of life things that it brings made it above and beyond worth the price for me. Plus, I was really into trying all the different Masteries and their combinations and as Doronron listed, you get two new Masteries which are hecka fun to play with. Also, being able to trade with your other alts in the single player game helped with the sense that you didn't feel like you were wasting a great item just because it didn't go with the character who got the drop ("Staff of Awesomeness! Damn, I'm a Warrior!")

Gina V on
    edited May 2008
    Actually, the expansion pack only added 1 new Mastery (Dream). Still, I'd say it's more than worth it. Not only did it add all the stuff that they mentioned, but it also added randomly generated hero monsters to keep you on your toes, reduced penalties for death, and some new styles of gear that make more builds possible (for example, there are a bunch of summon oriented gear prefixes).

RainbowDespair on
    edited May 2008
    Speaking of Diablo 2, it's before my time, but I've read about it and see it referenced often and always keep thinking I need to try it (Hack and Slash along with MMOs are my two favorite game types). I know it's older and was wondering if it would still run on modern PCs or would I have a problem getting it to run?

Gina V on
    edited May 2008
    You won't have any problems at all. The community is still very active too.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008
    Doh! Rainbow Despair is absolutely correct. I'm looking at the box right now. Only one new Mastery in the expansion.

Gina V on
    edited May 2008
    Yep. Oops. The rest of the list should be accurate, though. :oops:

Doronron on
    edited May 2008
    Isn't it $20 for both on Steam right now? It's a steal if it still is.

chamberlain on
    edited May 2008
    Speaking of Diablo 2, it's before my time, but I've read about it and see it referenced often and always keep thinking I need to try it (Hack and Slash along with MMOs are my two favorite game types). I know it's older and was wondering if it would still run on modern PCs or would I have a problem getting it to run?

Blizzard games run on anything, i don't know how they do it, but yeah diablo 2 i think is the game to own my life for the longest period of time. Halo and SSBM come close though. Amazing game though, I remember my mother wouldn't let me play diablo 2 when it first came out, although she didn't mind diablo 1 (even with the nekid decaptied people in the background :P) funny now she plays some gta4 with me lol. Can't remember how old I was when it came out i think like 10 or 11...it came out in 1999 right?

Dixon on
    edited May 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

... but yeah diablo 2 i think is the game to own my life for the longest period of time.

I've heard a lot of people say this, which of course, has made me incredibly curious. I love that kind of game addiction rush, God help me :)

I've thought about it a little. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the hack and slash formula just tickles the addiction neurons in my brain the most. Well, MMOs do that also, but I think it's the same thing, just a different genre. Part of it is that rush when you get that next great item that makes you just that percentile more uber. Awesome!

So anyway, I think my quest for the weekend is to go out and see if I can find a copy of Diablo 2 somewhere.

Gina V on
    edited May 2008
    ^ yeah it's that loot whore in all of us...I swear to god, I mean otherwise why would I of ran meph runs on hell more times they I have lived days! It's kinda scary, thats why I can't wait for Too Human, god that game is going to suck me in. Although I thought Hellgate london was going to do the same, it had me for a bit but not that long really. The weapons and armor and shit all looked so pretty to! I hated that number rating shit they had on there to, I also hate the DPS rating...I want it not calculated...just give me the damage, and the attack speed straight up! Like daiblo 2

Dixon on
    edited May 2008
    Too Human? Is it coming out soon?

Gina V on
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

... but yeah diablo 2 i think is the game to own my life for the longest period of time.

I've heard a lot of people say this, which of course, has made me incredibly curious. I love that kind of game addiction rush, God help me :)

I've thought about it a little. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the hack and slash formula just tickles the addiction neurons in my brain the most. Well, MMOs do that also, but I think it's the same thing, just a different genre. Part of it is that rush when you get that next great item that makes you just that percentile more uber. Awesome!

So anyway, I think my quest for the weekend is to go out and see if I can find a copy of Diablo 2 somewhere.

You...you've never played Diablo 2? My God, man. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a copy of the battle chest at any EB or Best Buy, but I wouldn't recommend buying it until you have roughly 178 consecutive hours that you can devote to it.

PuddingSenator on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus Christ! You like hack and slash and don't own diablo 2? Stop reading this no... well not now, go get diablo2, ok now stop reading.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2008
    Isn't it $20 for both on Steam right now? It's a steal if it still is.

That is true. I checked my Target while I was working and could not find it ANYWHERE! So as soon as I get my $90 refunded from some scam online, I shall be picking Titan Quest up!

Also, Diablo 2 Battlechests are still in HIGH demand. You will not have any trouble at all finding it.

Regicid3 on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is the titan quest expansion any good?

Fuga on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

I bought Sacred Gold a while ago and I'm having a blast with it, so I can't recomend it enough. Quick question for the Sacred veterans: Could you help me with my Battlemage build? I'm not sure whether I should go primarily Fire or Ice.

Silpheed on