As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Ballerium: MMO+RTS=MMORTS (..in ur bases killing your mangs..)

zootsozootso Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
383px-Ballerium_races.jpg

Ballerium? Wazzzat? Balls?
Ballerium is a massively multiplayer online real-time strategy (MMORTS) game in development by Majorem. And, it's free. FREE. Oh, and a bit addictive as well. Basically, you start out with a small warband. Than, you level up your warband by fighting NPC hordes, make moolah by building mines, or capture NPC cities (think cannons, steam tanks, catapults for sieges). Take on other players for their cities, and form clans to conquer the world (entirely possible, as there is a fairly small [but dedicated] player base).

Think:
Warcraft III style graphics+persistent online world+unique (not Tolkien) fantasy world+player controlled warbands and cities

* Free download and gameplay
* Persistent multi user environment
* Many ways to win the game (trade, role-play, combat, and diplomacy)
* AI that is capable finishing combat for you in case of disconnection
* Warfare on an epic scale: Play with thousands of players on a single map
* Seven Unique races to choose from, each possessing unique units and magic abilities
* Great community features
* Low Bandwidth Requirements

Is it really free?

If you want to pay $7.00 a month, you get a few more game options (one more playable race, and some clan/capture options). I'm sticking with the free version for now, and I'm satisfied. Many players on the forums are as well.

How do I plays?
*Register and download game client at:
http://www.ballerium.com/

*System specs are quite low, and download is only around 130mb.

*Basically, start out by building a few mines to rake in some resources, sell for money, build up your warband. Get XP and create 'heroes' from your warband by taking on monsters. Than, work on mining for specific objects to build catapults, flyers, steam tanks, cannons, etc. Make alliances, conquer game world.

*The wiki is uber helpful:
http://wiki.ballerium.com/index.php/Main_Page

Exploring
exploringxa6.png

To keep it interesting...
Ballerium is a world with a single sun that frequently changes colour (phases). Seven sentient races inhabit this particular world. Each race favors one color above all and has increased hitpoint regeneration and "sunpower" or magic casting point regeneration during this time. The rate at which these two increase and decrease is also dependent upon how close to that colored sun it is in the day. Kablaz are a unique race that has mastered the secrets of life and death. They are the only race to not have a favored sun color.

Each race favors a particular philosophy as well, all of which are included in the game as attribute points for your heroes. Kablaz are the exception, they have no counter philosophy or particular sun they favor.
When fighting, you can take on either roaming solitary enemies, than move on to attacking the dangerous 'Rifts' (bosses and large hordes). Finally, PvP is a big focus of the game-city sieges and the like are regular.
Instead of this experience being transferred to an avatar, however, it is doled out amongst units that participated in combat.

Screenshots:

City
heroevz8.png

Fight fight (crummy screen)
08-07-2005-02.jpg

Interface
interfaceky1.png

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
09-11-2005-01.jpg

Start playing now. Ballerium has only a few players, so it's quite possible for a group of PA players to form a clan, and take over the game world. The last clan to win (to conquer a certain portion) was pretty cocky-it's time for some new players to shake things up. The latest round has just started, and will probably last several months.

Current Game Map (With captured Towns):
controlmap497iy8.jpg

I just recently found this game, and it's a blast. It's been out since 2004, but it really hasn't received much attention. Unlike other games in which players work together to 'conquer the world', the smaller player base of Ballerium really gives newer players the chance to actually be useful. The game runs on 'seasons', and this also helps starting players. It's fairly easy to get the hang of it, but there is alot of depth. There's a myriad of unit types, and alot of upgrades for both your main hero units and your troops.

Enjoy! I hope this guide is helpful-plz critique.:P

zootso on

• Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll give it a try.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Glad to hear it. Lemme know if you need any help.

My friend and I just mined enough to build three catapults and a cannon. Big w00t. I think we're going to try and actually siege a city today.

Once you get a decent amount of Doloms, you can mine pretty well, and the money (MFU) adds up really fast. I have far more than I need right now.

zootso on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I wandered around for awhile trying to find unclaimed resources.. eventually found a mineable spot about 20 minutes from where I started..

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's possible to attack and take over other players mines, but I wouldn't recommend it early in the game.

Buy at least 3 more doloms, and put them in the mine. The more doloms you have, the faster you mine. You can have a max of 5 in one mine.

zootso on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I'll give this a try looks kind of interesting.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, what differentiates this from games like Saga and such?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I tried Saga recently, and, while it was an intriguing, I didn't stick with it too long. Perhaps I'll come back.

Anyway, Saga is also free to play, but you can PURCHASE more units (in boosters), similar to a collectible card game, or table top wargame. Ballerium gives you one more race if you pay to play, monthly.

Ballerium seems to be completely open (everything happens in one place), while Saga offers a map/quest view, and a city view, and a battle ground view-I may be wrong about this, but that's what it seemed like when I played it.

Saga has higher system requirements as well, but nothing too crazy.

Alot of people on FileFront and 1Up were yelling, "scam" when Saga was announced (given the 'pay to buy better units model), but I don't think I'd go as far as to say that. I'm a little happier with Ballerium, because I think a free player isn't limited as much as in Saga.

zootso on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I messed around with it a day or two ago, I enjoyed it... though mostly because it blatantly takes the graphics from Warcraft 3. Not like I mind though I love that game, it took me awhile though to get used to the way things are done though. In an RTS you expect to be sending your builders off to build things, collectors/harvesters to get resources and to start building a city. It seems that you have to take over cities that were owned by players already though, but that might not be the case since I didn't go too deep into it.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't say that it 'blatantly takes the graphics from WCIII' It does have a similar style (very similar), but they didn't just steal the 3d set and implement into their game. If anything, this is really obvious by how much better WCIII's screenshots look! The units and all from WC3 and Ballerium are pretty much entirely different as well. Hope I'm not nitpicking, but I thought would point it out.

zootso on