As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Keynote annouced as Ken Levine

13»

• Options
    Samurai JackSamurai Jack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    2 words.

Robin Williams.

We know he plays video games.

Samurai Jack on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    2 words.

Robin Williams.

We know he plays video games.

I change my vote to this.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What about Seth Able Robinson? I'm not positive, but I think he lives in Washington. He made Legend of the Red Dragon, the BBS Door Game that, if it didn't create the notion of the MMORPG, sure popularized it. He also made Dink Smallwood and is an avid Indy Gamer evangelist/supporter/fan/creator.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I vote Khoo. and if thats not possible, then Joss Whedon.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    10 votes for Yahtzee so far

11 vote for yahtzee!

Shade on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some months back I'd considered lobbying Escapist Magazine's editor to send Yahtzee to PAX as their media correspondent just because I thought it'd be cool for Yahtzee to experience PAX at all.

Having him as the keynote speaker? A thousand times better.

(I never did contact Escapist Magazine, having come down with a severe case of "Who the hell do I think I am anyway?")

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Frontalot.

Gibson.

Fuck, ask both of them.

Wait, Gibson would be more appropriate for Lulzcon.

Walled City and all.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will say it again, John Carmack.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    randomguy wrote: »

John Carmack might be a little tired. QuakeCon's at the start of August.

And apparently he's got to code up Doom4.

ashridah on
  • Options
    FinnbarrFinnbarr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shade wrote: »
    10 votes for Yahtzee so far

11 vote for yahtzee!

12 votes for yahtzee

Finnbarr on
    ~Finnbarr
    Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    seriously what the hell is up with the yahtzee love? I mean, the guy has a schtick. That's it. He's a nobody. What's he going to say that's of any interest for a KEYNOTE? Is he just gonna rip games? Make it a separate panel.

I think you're not getting what a KEYNOTE is. Because it's not Yahtzee. I'm not saying i don't like the guy, but he wouldn't make a good keynote speaker.

I'm thinking it should be someone like Carmack, Myamoto, Whedon et al.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yahtzee is the antithesis of everything I hate about video games journalism.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    seriously what the hell is up with the yahtzee love? I mean, the guy has a schtick. That's it. He's a nobody. What's he going to say that's of any interest for a KEYNOTE? Is he just gonna rip games? Make it a separate panel.

Actually, I'd be hoping he'd rip on gamers. :P
    I think you're not getting what a KEYNOTE is. Because it's not Yahtzee. I'm not saying i don't like the guy, but he wouldn't make a good keynote speaker.

Why are you capitalizing keynote? It's not a special word or an acronym. But that said, let's address our understanding of a keynote. A Keynote address is generally the place at which the theme for an event is set. Now, having a gaming industry person show up is great and all, but isn't this an event for gamers? It's not an event for 'journalists' (aka, E3), and it's not an event for game developers (eg. GDC, which yahtzee did a piece for, I might add (not a keynote, however, but he was about 7000 miles away when it was on)).

Having someone who's actually going to stand up and tell us what does or doesn't suck about gaming from a gamer's perspective would actually be awesome, and quite to the point, particularly since yahtzee doesn't pull punches. Of course, the bigger question would be "Could he a) make it to america (i presume he has a dayjob); b) can he make it last an hour or so, and finally c) will he get lynched by SSBB fanboys if he got here."
    I'm thinking it should be someone like Carmack, Myamoto, Whedon et al.

Dude, have you ever listened to a Carmack keynote from Quakecon? You need an advanced understanding of 3d graphics in order to understand the silly things. :) Of course, I haven't heard Myamoto speak, he may or may not be cool. (What's whedon even done in the gaming industry recently, btw? i haven't been keeping track. I know he's made some statements as a consumer of games, but then, so has yahtzee.)

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't get how a guy who's whole theme is 1-2 minute long videos where he never stops talking is going to stand up and talk for an hour about gaming. It doesn't work. He'd have to be "yahtzee talking about games but not as the yahtzee we know, just another guy who's no more qualified to talk about games bar the fact that he makes funny videos".

My point, is that while he's entertaining, he's not a keynote speaker. He would not fit there. That's all. I don't think you're getting that. He would be great, but not as a keynote speaker. He would need his own panel or something.

I don't think travel/accommodations would be an issue. PA usually pays for that stuff I believe.

I'm sure whatever PA & Co. have picked out as a keynote will satiate our gamer's appetite.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had never heard of Yahtzee until this thread (well Yahtzee the person anyway). I looked him up and think he would be hilarious! I'm sure if he's funny in his videos that he could definately entertain for a longer period of time.

MR.T on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ashridah wrote: »

John Carmack might be a little tired. QuakeCon's at the start of August.

And apparently he's got to code up Doom4.

He doesn't need to keynote a gaming event when he's got one of his own. Besides, I'm going to Quakecon so I'd like the two events not to have that kind of overlap.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

Congratulations altmann, you managed to piss me off.

Listen you egotistical twat, It's fine for us to disagree on Yatzhee making a good keynote speaker, you have your opinion, we have ours. Where things start getting sticky is when you start making head-up-ass asumptions about why we think he would.

Personally I'm not judging the quality of his keynote-ability on the 2 minute soundbytes he puts out every week, rather on his general journalistic endevours as well as his rather impressive catalogue of games he's developed. Yes, that's right. He's made games, good games.

Wil Wheaton had a phenominal Keynote address, why? Because he was Westley fucking Crusher? No. Because he's a gamer. He's a voice of our demographic and he speaks to us. He does it eloquently and engagingly, and he has something worth hearing.

If you don't think those are true of Ben "Yatzhee" Crenshaw, that's fine, but take those cocks out of your mouth before you tell me that your opinion is better than mine.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    RAAAGE!!

hahah.

It's all irrelevant considering the keynote speaker is already lined up.

I'd love to dispute your points about how awesome yahtzee is but it's just not worth my time.

I'll leave it at that and we'll see who the keynote speaker is in August. I'm sure we'll both be pleased.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

And actually, one other thing. The dude creates games, he's not just a gamer. They're generally free adventure games of course, so that doesn't make him an equal to some other game developer personalities like Carmack or whatever, but it's still better than you want to give him credit for.

And there's one final point. He writes the backpage column for PC Gamer. (He's only been doign that since around Feb 2008 though)

I'd say he's got a bit more cred than just Zero Punctuation.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ashridah wrote: »

And actually, one other thing. The dude creates games, he's not just a gamer. They're generally free adventure games of course, so that doesn't make him an equal to some other game developer personalities like Carmack or whatever, but it's still better than you want to give him credit for.

And there's one final point. He writes the backpage column for PC Gamer. (He's only been doign that since around Feb 2008 though)

I'd say he's got a bit more cred than just Zero Punctuation.

But he isn't really the genius everyone thinks he is. Some of his reviews just take obvious loopholes in plotline and abuse them until he gets a laugh. Its like, "I get it you are trying to be funny". He makes me laugh sometimes but isn't always on. Sadly I would rather see Jeremy Parish over him. Parish has gotten just the same amount of acclaim recently. Over both of them, I would rather see someone like Chris Anderson as the keynote speaker. Mainly because in the entire technology field he is making an impact. If no one knows who he is, this article is a crowning achievement of his outside being the editor of Wired magazine.

And if we can't get Mr. Anderson, in all honestly, will someone please just ask Carmack if he would do it ?

randomguy on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And if we can't get Mr. Anderson, in all honestly, will someone please just ask Carmack if he would do it ?
    Really, randomguy? Do we have to have this discussion again?

Admit you want to blow John Carmack and we can all go home.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    Really, randomguy? Do we have to have this discussion again?

Admit you want to blow John Carmack and we can all go home.

<3 .

I will admit what you are all craving !

randomguy on
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    William Shatner!

smes on
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    smes wrote: »
    William Shatner!

He's....a...shaman!!

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HoverboyHoverboy Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Ty1012 wrote: »
    weird al. he should perform AND have a keynote

+vote for performing

As for Jack Thompson - No. Please no more free publicity for this media whore

Hoverboy on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/16/pax-2008-to-feature-ken-levine-jonathan-coulton-mc-chris
    The keynote speaker will be Ken Levine, President and Director of 2K Boston; the group behind Bioshock.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nice.

LewieP on
  • Options
    beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1) Mila Kunis (Hay, she's a gamer...)
    2) Seth Green
    3) Bruce Campbell

beowuff on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    beowuff wrote: »
    1) Mila Kunis (Hay, she's a gamer...)
    2) Seth Green
    3) Bruce Campbell

Read the thread cheif, its already been decided :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus for 09 Keynote.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/16/pax-2008-to-feature-ken-levine-jonathan-coulton-mc-chris
    The keynote speaker will be Ken Levine, President and Director of 2K Boston; the group behind Bioshock.

Wow it's obvious why they're going that route... in addition to Bioshock he's worked on Thief, System Shock 2, and Tribes.

I for one heartily approve of this year's speaker.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great choice... can't wait to hear him speak

nearlysober on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Should be interesting.

Particularly when he gets to Q&A and I get to ask him why he espouses the awesomeness of open, explorable, worlds... and then didn't create one in bioshock :)
    They could have taken the city notion further, and had you running in and out of lots of skyscrapers, not through a more or less linear set of levels.

(I'm not actually that vindictive, I liked bioshock, although it didn't push system shock 2's boundaries, in my opinion, sadly, it certainly *looked* pretty.)

ashridah on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From the interviews I've read with him he was pretty interesting, so this has potential. But we'll see when the time comes.

Really after Wil Wheaton... it's a battle for second best now.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'd like to ask him about his stance on DRM.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I'd like to ask him about his stance on DRM.

He'll probably have no choice but to say that "what the publisher wants, the publisher gets" unfortunately.
    It'll have been a stipulation of the contract they signed with the publisher. I doubt he'd be thrilled with DRM.
    Although, that said, apparently the few days it took the crackers to take down bioshock made them a tonne of cash, so it was fairly successful for once, but only because it was so invasive. :(

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yay,

It's not fucking yahtzee.

I think this will be an interesting one, I want to hear what Ken has to say.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good choice IMO.

Wont nearly have the same impact as Wheaton though, but I'm genuinely interested.

But he does seem to have that genuine gamer mentality. It'll be interesting to see what he says

parabola on
This discussion has been closed.