As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern time travel: A possibility?

13»

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Ugh, the sidebar on that article is a bad start to the whole thing. A photon is a spin-1 particle so the fact that electrons and positrons have spin-1/2 is perfectly consistent. (Sorry you'll have to read the article to see that.)

Edit: The rest of his stuff might be fine, but talking about how you're fighting the established science community and then making a fundamental error like that, well, it's pretty dumb.
    I also seriously doubt that the professor threatened him for asking a question. It screams made up.

Dramatization:

"We don't talk about that," the professor said coldly, narrowing his eyes on me. "And you," he emphasized the word, thrusting a pudgy finger at me, "won't either." He collected himself and put his hand palm-down on the table. "That is, not if you want to pass this course."

Afterwards, I overheard him in the teacher's lounge. "I doubt we'll have any more problems with Mr. Hoston," he cackled loudly and very sinisterly. His remark was met with much hooting from the entire gathered scientific establishment. "No, I solved that problem. Inform the Overlord!"

Realizing their plot, it dawned on me that I could not sit idly by and allow the conspiracy to continue. I must major in French literature and write about physics on the Internet.

I'm not buying it.
    Hahahaha! I've heard this story, sold to me on the Steorn forums as someone's own. Of course I knew it was bullshit then (just about everyone there seems to feel slighted by science in some way and what's to stick it to 'dem physicists) but it's now even more hilarious that the whole thing was ripped from somewhere else.
    Wait, what? I just wrote that.

I seriously doubt a professor would act that way, is all.
    "We don't talk about that," the professor said coldly, narrowing his eyes on me. "And you," he emphasized the word, thrusting a pudgy finger at me, "won't either." He collected himself and put his hand palm-down on the table. "That is, not if you want to pass this course."
    This part someone has told me before, though with less of the actions involved told. So it was more like "We don't talk about that, and you won't either if you want to pass this course".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Ugh, the sidebar on that article is a bad start to the whole thing. A photon is a spin-1 particle so the fact that electrons and positrons have spin-1/2 is perfectly consistent. (Sorry you'll have to read the article to see that.)

Edit: The rest of his stuff might be fine, but talking about how you're fighting the established science community and then making a fundamental error like that, well, it's pretty dumb.
    I also seriously doubt that the professor threatened him for asking a question. It screams made up.

Dramatization:

Afterwards, I overheard him in the teacher's lounge. "I doubt we'll have any more problems with Mr. Hoston," he cackled loudly and very sinisterly. His remark was met with much hooting from the entire gathered scientific establishment. "No, I solved that problem. Inform the Overlord!"

Realizing their plot, it dawned on me that I could not sit idly by and allow the conspiracy to continue. I must major in French literature and write about physics on the Internet.

I'm not buying it.
    Hahahaha! I've heard this story, sold to me on the Steorn forums as someone's own. Of course I knew it was bullshit then (just about everyone there seems to feel slighted by science in some way and what's to stick it to 'dem physicists) but it's now even more hilarious that the whole thing was ripped from somewhere else.
    Wait, what? I just wrote that.

I seriously doubt a professor would act that way, is all.
    This part someone has told me before, though with less of the actions involved told. So it was more like "We don't talk about that, and you won't either if you want to pass this course".

People like to throw words like "Pudgy" in there because fat people are innately evil.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh yeah, that was in the thing Saddam linked.

EDIT:
    People like to throw words like "Pudgy" in there because fat people are innately evil.
    There would have been a reference to small penis size if I could work it in, too.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ah. Well it was still sold to me as someone's own story regardless.

I think the big problem physics suffers from is idiots who are so completely full of themselves. Once they get to quantum physics they convince themselves that in fact since whatever they've thought of MUST be right, they know better then academia and are being unfairly shut out when they propose this to a first year lecturer and he politely tells them to read up more on whatever particular area or behavior they've latched onto.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I think the big problem physics suffers from is idiots who are so completely full of themselves. Once they get to quantum physics they convince themselves that in fact since whatever they've thought of MUST be right, they know better then academia and are being unfairly shut out when they propose this to a first year lecturer and he politely tells them to read up more on whatever particular area or behavior they've latched onto.
    http://www.crank.net/quantum.html

Agem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:

Everyone wants the aether back :roll: :D

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:

Everyone wants the aether back :roll: :D

Screw the aether, lets get the astral involved.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Bloody hell, elec. Next you'll tell me I can't equate my penis with the Horsehead Nebula.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh, okay, an infinitely small object that's infinitely bigger than the entire universe.

Yeah, no, those are real. I think they discovered them in the '70s.

Agem on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wish I was stoned

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys, time travel does exist.

The reason we are not aware of its affects is that Jean-Claude Van Damme is part of an agency tasked to stop time offenders from altering the future from the past.

Duh.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Time is an Illusion.

Was there a point when time didn't exist? Is it eternal? Will it end? Was it created?

Time is hard to explain, so how do we travel through it?

[spoiler:6316cf6529]Also I didn't read this thread. I'm just trying to tear it apart.[/spoiler:6316cf6529]

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007

It is a big problem in physics, and you end up with a lot of grad students with axes to grind, especially relating to relativity and quantum. In fairness, it's kind of hard to sell either of these things, especially to people who have strongly preconcived notions or people who aren't really willing to pay close attention.

At least in my case, presentation of relativity and quantum were both pretty reasonable and compelling, but the presentation of the Standard Model was sketchy as all get-out. I mean if it's not conserved under the weak interaction then why do we regard it as fundamental?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:

It is a big problem in physics, and you end up with a lot of grad students with axes to grind, especially relating to relativity and quantum. In fairness, it's kind of hard to sell either of these things, especially to people who have strongly preconcived notions or people who aren't really willing to pay close attention.

At least in my case, presentation of relativity and quantum were both pretty reasonable and compelling, but the presentation of the Standard Model was sketchy as all get-out. I mean if it's not conserved under the weak interaction then why do we regard it as fundamental?
    In that respect I think my time here really helped when I got around to those things since D&D sculpted me to be able to abandon strong opinions in favor of the logical explanation. But then again, I've been reading Brief History of Time since early high school so the extent of "oh you cwazy universe!" was fairly well known to me.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm gonna leave one of the stories I wrote now and give it to myself four years back.
    Instant fame, here I come!

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee