As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW] Theres a party in the Fissure of Woe and your all invited

1235»

• DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PvP isn't player skill, but rather player skill build...

eg. a Touch Ranger
    find me a Warrior main class with any sub class skill build that could beat a touch ranger...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    W/R 12 Marksmanship 12 Wilderness Survival

Crippling Shot. Apply Poison

The game is supposed to be about how smart you build your character (and your team) primarily while still allowing player skill to shine. If you get beaten by a touch ranger, the other 7 players on your team are as bad as you. Hell, you know the easiest way to stop a touch ranger? Kite, don't try and tell me kiting requires one of your 8 skills.

Stealthc on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dis wrote: »

eg. a Touch Ranger
    find me a Warrior main class with any sub class skill build that could beat a touch ranger...

Why does it have to be a warrior? You could easily take out a touch ranger with most caster classes.

George Fornby Grill on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

eg. a Touch Ranger

Hammer Warrior with Frenzy. W/N with a regular knockdown build and plague touch with Frenzy should be enough, as the Toucher's life stealing is not effected by the double damage effect of Frenzy.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • MasterOfTactMasterOfTact Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

eg. a Touch Ranger

Warrior/Paragon. "Can't Touch This", Stamina Sig, Heal Sig, Gash, Sever Artery, Savage Slash, Final Thrust, Skull Crack

MasterOfTact on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can't Touch This is a crap skill.

You're better off just knocking them down, or snaring, or kiting, or going with energy denial or shutdown; maybe even just nuking from range. Hell, use Spoil Victor to nullify the skill's life-drain if you must.

aunsoph on
    edited May 2008
    Well, the point is that the builds you have for a character shouldn't be indicative of how much 'skill' you have.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So apparently, they are going to balance pve and pvp skills separately starting next week.
    While it is probably for the best, ideologically, it is a bit disappointing, since it most likely means that pvp is going to be very independent from pve in GW2.

Serious_Scrub on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it seems kinda like a cop out. To me it says, "We've failed at balancing the game, so we're not even going to try any more."

Frem on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not sure what else they could do. On the one hand, they have the stable PVE game where builds stay relatively static and there's not too much interaction between multiple players' skills. Then there's the ever-changing PVP game, where coordinated teams are running very specific builds that have been honed for very specific purposes, and those builds are constantly shifting as new strategies and skill combos are developed and become popular.

As a PVE player, it was always disheartening to see useful but not overpowered skills nerfed just because teams were exploiting them in PVP. PVE really shouldn't be subject to the consequences of the PVP metagame.

But I'm still not sure how they're going to do this in practice. How will the versions be separated and explained in-game?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited May 2008
    For me as a person who plays both PvP and some PvE this is a horrible decision, now I'm going to have to remember something like LoD has a 1sec cast for 80 health in PvE and a 2sec cast for 120 health in PvP. Needless complications.

If PvE never used the same skills as PvP (i.e. they were always separate) then after a couple of months of PvE every single profession would use the same skill bar because someone would have figured out what is the most efficient. Hell it's happened already with Ursan Blessing, why run anything else when that is so damn overpowered?

Stealthc on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think it's a good idea. So people will have to come up with separate builds for PvP and PvE, like they don't already. The changing nature of PvP and the rather more "fixed" nature of PvE make this change sensible, if you ask me. It will allow ANet to tune the skills to make PvE appropriately challenging, while giving them the flexibility to mess with the PvP skills.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited May 2008
    They should just set a fixed skill set for PvP instead...
    Easiest way to balance everything...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008

Wait..What? Half the fun is finding out whatever build suits what you want to do.

I don't think you get this game, Dis.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited May 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »

Wait..What? Half the fun is finding out whatever build suits what you want to do.

They are only those few stereotype builds combinations where almost everyone is the same...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    that's what killed the game though

people were unwilling to try anything new anywhere, so all you had was link monks and ranger burst and other bullshit

i remember doing spirit shitting with the original KCHS, and winning HoH four or five times in one night

the winning wasn't even the best part, the best part is that we came up with that shit ourselves (well, mostly mumbly olol)

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, if you don't have regular skill balances, the meta-game just becomes stale with everything running what has been proven by someone figuring out the maths to be the best

Stealthc on
    edited May 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »

They are only those few stereotype builds combinations where almost everyone is the same...

I don't really get your argument here. I mean, a whole lot of content is seeing which builds work where and how to adapt a build you may like to fit a situation.

Just because the option to use the stereotypical builds is there, doesn't mean you have to use them to get to what you want.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gimmicks exist because they are easy to organize, with everybody familiar with their roles. Even good players take a while to get used to a new build, and pick up groups trying something different probably aren't going to last long enough for every player to get used to his or her build. Novelty is very difficult to pull off without being in a decent guild. IWAY started off with a guild fooling around, and many other popular builds that dominate HA probably originated in a similar fashion

Man, I miss being able to Pvp with more than 4 people

Serious_Scrub on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    i think that's what probably killed the game for me

i was running 4 mesmers doing RAs, and we were having a lot of fun

and then i was all "let's get 4 more and hit up HoH!"

and then i realized i didn't know four more mesmers, and nobody wanted to do HoH anyway :(

man i remember IWAY coming out and being the total cheese it build of the month, but then it just never went away

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, what do people think of the PvP/PvE skill split? I think it's about time. No more PvP nerfs messing up PvE and overpowered PvE skills won't mess up PvP. It seems like ANet is slowely evolving GW into their vision of GW2, gameplay-wise. This has been great news for my Sin, who I use to farm ToPK pretty often. The perma-sin nerf was needed, as it was kind of out of control and people were freaking out over ecto-related economy collapse. Oh, and the Hall of Monuments will soon be updated to display your achievements account-wide or per-character, with the ability to switch back and forth. I'm really liking the changes that ANet's been making over the past months and AB has been packed almost 24/7 so far this summer.

Well, the Dragon Festival should be starting up in about 4 hours. Be there or be a Kappa!

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, what do people think of the PvP/PvE skill split? I think it's about time. No more PvP nerfs messing up PvE and overpowered PvE skills won't mess up PvP. It seems like ANet is slowely evolving GW into their vision of GW2, gameplay-wise. This has been great news for my Sin, who I use to farm ToPK pretty often. The perma-sin nerf was needed, as it was kind of out of control and people were freaking out over ecto-related economy collapse. Oh, and the Hall of Monuments will soon be updated to display your achievements account-wide or per-character, with the ability to switch back and forth. I'm really liking the changes that ANet's been making over the past months and AB has been packed almost 24/7 so far this summer.

Well, the Dragon Festival should be starting up in about 4 hours. Be there or be a Kappa!

I'll admit that I haven't played in a few months, but I don't like the idea of a PvP/PvE split at all. IMO, it just makes it much harder to keep track of what skills do what in PvE compared to PvP. I haven't actually tested it out, but at first glance that's what my impression would be. I hope GW2 doesn't do this.

That said, I might start playing GW again if AoC continues to disappoint and if I don't like Vanguard. I really miss the good ol' days of GW, was so much fun.

Geod on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Is this a Factions only holiday? Meh.

Events like this, the Assasin class, and a slowly growing annoyance at the Prophecies campaign are about the only reasons I'm considering getting Factions. Except I hear that the Factions campaign also gets rather annoying. Meh.

Frem on
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geod wrote: »
    I'll admit that I haven't played in a few months, but I don't like the idea of a PvP/PvE split at all. IMO, it just makes it much harder to keep track of what skills do what in PvE compared to PvP. I haven't actually tested it out, but at first glance that's what my impression would be. I hope GW2 doesn't do this.

That said, I might start playing GW again if AoC continues to disappoint and if I don't like Vanguard. I really miss the good ol' days of GW, was so much fun.

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but from what I've gathered GW2 will have separate skills for PvP than for PvE. They're trying to address one of the main issues with GW1, so many skills with only a few being truly viable, by cutting back the total number of skills. It seems that the PvE/PvP split for GW2 will be very different than with GW1 in that the skills will exist in either PvP or PvE, not both. Also, when you go to play PvP in GW2, all equipment and skills will be available to you. I assume you'll be able to unlock skins and superficial things like that, but everyone will be on an equal playing field as far as skills and gear.

A lot of people were concerned about possibly not knowing which skills were PvP/PvE split. For example: "Watch Yourself!" Gives + armor for the next incoming 10 hits in PvE, but only gives + armor for the next incoming 3 hits in PvP. If you go from a PvE outpost to PvP, a system message will be sent to your chat saying, "'Watch Yourself!' has been updated for PvP." Also, not all skills have been split, just ones that were difficult to properly balance for both playstyles. I, too, was apprehensive, but seeing how they've done it and understanding where they are trying to go with this, I think it's a very good step for the game and will make easing into GW2 a rather seamless experience for GW fans.
    Frem wrote: »

Is this a Factions only holiday? Meh.

Events like this, the Assasin class, and a slowly growing annoyance at the Prophecies campaign are about the only reasons I'm considering getting Factions. Except I hear that the Factions campaign also gets rather annoying. Meh.

Yeah, the Dragon Festival is Cantha (Factions) only.

Personally, my favorite part of Factions is Alliance Battle and it's the real selling point, IMO. There are a few crucial skills (such as Flesh Golem for minion master). Rits are interesting and excellent augmentation for Monks (GW2 should merge Rits and Monks to give Monks better offensive skills) and Assassins are a lot of fun to play. Kind of a hit-and-run Warrior meant for heavy melee spikes and condition spams. They can go down pretty easy, though, so they shouldn't be relied on to tank and wail like Wars can do.

The campaign is pretty enjoyable, mission-wise. The story is kind of lame and isn't really done very well. The cutscenes are confusing unless you know the backstory (which the cutscenes don't explain) and the level design quickly goes from breath-taking (newbie island) to so-so (Kaining). However, the missions tend to be fast paced and really are fun to play. You get to level 20 really fast and have much quicker access to core Elite skills than in Prophecies (about the same pace as in Nightfall). You can get tons of money in this campaign and it seems like I get much better salvage (volume) from from Cantha items, but that might be because you reach high-level loot a bit earlier than you do in Prophecies.

If I was to recommend 1 campaign for a new player it would be Factions, mainly because of the added bonus of Alliance Battles. I was never into PvP before I started doing AB and now I'm really loving it. If you want inscribable weapons you can get Eye of the North or Nightfall. Prophecies still, IMO, has the best story and some really awesome level design, but that's about it. (well, some pretty great Elite skills, too)

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Woo, new mask. Dunno why I collect these things, I guess they're just cool to look at. The new festival one looks quite nice:
    gw214.jpg

Also, if Grievous Prime (the most recently online by far) or any other KCHS officer would PM me, I'd appreciate it.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I recently started playing this again. This is one game that I always enjoyed on single player merits. Actually, I don't think I've ever teamed with anyone for more than 30 minutes or so. I have all 3 of the original campaigns, although I didn't get eye of the north. I still haven't beaten any of the 3 campaigns that I own. I always get alt-itis and start over again. Or I get to a part of the story that's too hard to do by myself, but I have no one to team with haha.

Dissociater on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    It's a shame I don't remember my account info, I had a great mesmer/warrior with all of the defensive stances. 90% of the time I would dodge 75% of incoming attacks, it was so great.

Unknown User on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That does sound cool. Was he viable to play without other players?

It's funny, it's a multiplayer game, but I really enjoy the story line, and all of that, and I don't really have much desire to actually play with other people. So while classes like elementalist and Mesmer do appeal to me, they were always a pain to play without other players and just using NPCS. Because you always became a target, you were squishy, and if you tried to maneuver to avoid attacks, a lot of the time your NPC buddies would stop fighting and start following you.

Dissociater on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    I only pvped with him, but i'd usually just do my own thing like get all the opposing melee trying to kill me and piss them off. it was funny because he had absolutely no offensive ability unless you gave him spectral weapons (i think it was called) but even then it wasn't really worth it.

Unknown User on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geod wrote: »

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but from what I've gathered GW2 will have separate skills for PvP than for PvE. They're trying to address one of the main issues with GW1, so many skills with only a few being truly viable, by cutting back the total number of skills. It seems that the PvE/PvP split for GW2 will be very different than with GW1 in that the skills will exist in either PvP or PvE, not both. Also, when you go to play PvP in GW2, all equipment and skills will be available to you. I assume you'll be able to unlock skins and superficial things like that, but everyone will be on an equal playing field as far as skills and gear.

A lot of people were concerned about possibly not knowing which skills were PvP/PvE split. For example: "Watch Yourself!" Gives + armor for the next incoming 10 hits in PvE, but only gives + armor for the next incoming 3 hits in PvP. If you go from a PvE outpost to PvP, a system message will be sent to your chat saying, "'Watch Yourself!' has been updated for PvP." Also, not all skills have been split, just ones that were difficult to properly balance for both playstyles. I, too, was apprehensive, but seeing how they've done it and understanding where they are trying to go with this, I think it's a very good step for the game and will make easing into GW2 a rather seamless experience for GW fans.

Well, I overall trust the ANet Devs, they're a pretty cool group of people from what I learned. I'm guessing that they won't have one skill that does different things in PvP than it does in PvE, rather they'll just have some skills that you can only use in PvE or PvP which would make it a bit better. If I ever get around to buying Eye of the North, I'll see what it's like now I guess. I can't wait until GW2 goes into some sort of beta though, would enjoy seeing what it's like but I imagine I'll like it no matter what as long as the spirit of the game is similar enough to GW1.

Geod on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well I've recently purchased Nightfall and Eye of the North.

I just finally Ascended my main character and now I've opened up all the secondary professions so I can start perfecting my build. Anyone in need of a Guild. I have a Guild, Capes, and a Hall if need be.

Maybe we can get together. Once I finish the main campaign of Prophecies I'll probably move to the Eye of the North stuff.

I like Factions and Nightfall for the new classes, but the stories aren't that intriguing to me...

Just to add, my main character (for requests) is: Nam Ek Of Krypton

Hawk on