As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How I connect wired device to wi-fi network?

yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, yeah. I have an xbox. old kind. It's practically on the other side of the house from my router. I want it on the network. What's the cheapest device that will work well I can get to accomplish this task?

yalborap on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think an access point is the thing you are looking for?

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    edited December 2006
    robaal wrote:

Wouldn't an access point just be something that allows a wireless device to connect to a wired connection, whereas I need the exact opposite?

yalborap on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    A wireless bridge is what you seek.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Maybe something like the D-Link DGL-3420 Gaming adapter? I'm sure there are others like it around.

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    robaal wrote:

Wouldn't an access point just be something that allows a wireless device to connect to a wired connection, whereas I need the exact opposite?

I don't think there's any difference - it connects a wired network to a wireless one, it doesn't do anything to the stuff that's transfered, like a router would, it just makes a LAN out of both types of devices. OTOH I don't really know much about WiFi :o

Wiki suggests that I'm right though:
      "Another use involves bridging two wired networks in conditions inappropriate for cable: for example, a manufacturer can wirelessly connect a remote warehouse's wired network with a separate (though within line of sight) office's wired network."

robaal on
      "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
      At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
      edited December 2006
      KMFurDM wrote:

And where can I get one on the cheap?

yalborap on
    • Options
      KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
      edited January 2007
      yalborap wrote:
      KMFurDM wrote:

And where can I get one on the cheap?

Cheap...if cheap is under 70-80 dollars you may be SOL. Try the usual places. ie. newegg.com, amazon.com etc...

KMFurDM on
    • Options
      NiteMareNiteMare Registered User regular
      edited January 2007
      I work at an electronics store. D-link makes a bridge for 50bucks.

NiteMare on
      Thanks. Now I can't officially say that I haven't read a story about two male elves pleasuring each other. - S_O